mtbr member

Wilma 5 or Wilma 7?

yeah i know kinda picky. I'm more concerned with the charger that each kit comes with. The 5 comes with the Wiesel charger and the 7 comes with the Micro Charger w/ car charger.

I can't find too much detail on the Wiesel. But it sounds like the Micro Charger takes care of the battery better?

oh and what does impluse preservation mean? is that the same as charge preservation?

thanks again

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Get the 7...

The impulse preservation thing you mentioned is just a fancy way of saying the charger won't over charge your battery.

mtbr member
    The 7.5 Amp-Hr Li-Ion battery is reason enough for the 7. Runtimes are amazing and let you plan your rides around your endurance not the batteries.

I bit the bullet a couple months back and bought the Wilma 7 and Tesla to replace my 10-year-old TurboCat. You will laugh to yourself when you see how well these lights perform.

Place the order....

mtbr member

how do you like the tesla and wilma?

how do you like the two lights? how do the lights differ in color?

would you rather have 2 wilmas or 2 teslas instead of having one of each?

if you could buy one which would you get?

thanks

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    how do you like the two lights? how do the lights differ in color?

would you rather have 2 wilmas or 2 teslas instead of having one of each?

if you could buy one which would you get?

thanks
    That's my combo and I love it! I like the color of the Wilma as a bar light the most. They are both very neutral, the Tesla been slightly more warm (yellowish?) but barely noticeable.

2 Wilmas would be to "spotty" and with 2 Teslas you will have 2 hot spots moving around...
    If I would get two of the same I will get 2 Wilmas, but one with the 18 degree lens.

Both are awesome but there's no Tesla 7 so runtime might be a factor on full power when comparing to Wilma 7 as you are(although Tesla on medium power= 9 hours )

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    We can set up kits to make a Tesla 7...

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    We can set up kits to make a Tesla 7...
    that's important to know!!!

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    that's important to know!!!

Lupine doesn't technically make a Tesla 7, but we can build the kits like that. Meaning a Tesla 7 would come with the 7.5Ah battery, Micro Charger and 12v car adapter... If some one needed a kit like that...

MTB B'dos
    I say, save some cash and let one of the guys who do the DIY thing on here build you something. For sure it'll cost less and probably be brighter.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Check these babies out. Prices are in australian dollars.

radical-lights.com

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I say, save some cash and let one of the guys who do the DIY thing on here build you something. For sure it'll cost less and probably be brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    Wilma 5 or Wilma 7

MTB B'dos

Hope

Yeah sorry, my reading comprehension is bad. "should I spend a stupid amount of money or a seriously stupid amount of money?" Neither . How could anyone once they've browsed through this forum and seen just how little it actually costs to make these lights
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yeah sorry, my reading comprehension is bad. "should I spend a stupid amount of money or a seriously stupid amount of money?" Neither . How could anyone once they've browsed through this forum and seen just how little it actually costs to make these lights
    It is called time and skills. I work a lot and my spare time is spent with my child and riding. I don't have the time to build a light. For me the Tesla was worth every penny.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Your reading comprehension is not bad but you are VERY narow-minded
    I don't think you are a CPA, concern with people's expenses

FYI people spend their money in whatever they want because everybody has THEIR priorities and it is not up to you to tell people where and when they can spend their money.

For you, spending money on a light is not a pleasure or maybe you can't afford it, for others is about the best they can get their hands on
    Saying that spending 200.000$ on a Ferrari is stupid because a Ford also has 4 wheels is one of the most stupid things I've heard (pretty much your statement)

FYI, people that buy Lupine are people that WANT and CAN buy them. They look for craftmanship, support, reliability, quality and BEAUTY.... I don't think you have hold a Lupine in your hand

PS: not against DIY, they(some) are awesome, others plain functional but not everybody is looking for plain functionality or the Ferrari, Porsche, Maseratti, Bugatti, Lambo, etc would be broke....

"How could anyone once they've browsed through this forum and seen just how little it actually costs to make these lights "

People who want and can pay; people who don't have the time, equipment or skills

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Your reading comprehension is not bad but you are VERY narow-minded
    I don't think you are a CPA, concern with people's expenses

FYI people spend their money in whatever they want because everybody has THEIR priorities and it is not up to you to tell people where and when they can spend their money.

For you, spending money on a light is not a pleasure or maybe you can't afford it, for others is about the best they can get their hands on
    Saying that spending 200.000$ on a Ferrari is stupid because a Ford also has 4 wheels is one of the most stupid things I've heard (pretty much your statement)

FYI, people that buy Lupine are people that WANT and CAN buy them. They look for craftmanship, support, reliability, quality and BEAUTY.... I don't think you have hold a Lupine in your hand

PS: not against DIY, they(some) are awesome, others plain functional but not everybody is looking for plain functionality or the Ferrari, Porsche, Maseratti, Bugatti, Lambo, etc would be broke....

"How could anyone once they've browsed through this forum and seen just how little it actually costs to make these lights "

People who want and can pay; people who don't have the time, equipment or skills

I second that! Well put!

mtbr member
    You could relate that statement to nearly every product, service, and industry.
    If an individual had the knowledge, desire, time, and aptitude to do something it would be foolish or lazy to pay for that product or service. However, if one doesn’t possess those entire characteristics and is still able to acquire the product or service wouldn’t that make them ingenious or resourceful?

There was a time I felt my neighbors were foolish or lazy to have a pool, home and yard service? I now know better.

Regarding lights……………personally, I favor to spend a seriously stupid amount of money. My way to help stimulate the economy and give back considering what it actually cost compared to what I charge my clients.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I did own Lupine. The old Edison HID and both versions of the Wilma. I sold all of it and went DIY. Very glad I did. After riding with my DIY for 2 seasons on multiple outings per week I have not experienced a single breakdown. My current MC-E lights are brighter than anything Lupine offers. So yes I would answer the OPs original thread with the answer:

neither - go DIY or ask one of the regulars on this board to built a light to your specification.

I also would agree that DIY is not for everyone. It does take some measure of technical capability, but not a whole lot.

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    With LiIon batteries the incremental cost is worth it I think. LiIon batteries age and lose capacity over time regardless of use. The larger battery will give you your necessary runtime for more years than a smaller one that is close to your required runtime. The 6 cell Lupine battery is still quite small and light.