mtbr member
    May 2006

Will the L&M Stella 200L be enough?

I have a Li ion Arc that have tried on the helmet and on the bars, either way is fine. On my last night ride I had two Arc's, That is a lot of light.

Back to the question on the Stella, Will I like it as a helmet mounted light? Will it be enough or will it get lost with the Arc?

Is there a issue mixing LED and HID?

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by senna
    Back to the question on the Stella, Will I like it as a helmet mounted light? Will it be enough or will it get lost with the Arc?

Is there a issue mixing LED and HID?
    My personal experience is that the two lights compliment each other very well. Stella, while it has a fairly narrow beam pattern throws almost as far as the ARC, and really does what a lightweight helmet mounted light is supposed to do - fill in the spots that the big boy bar light isn't reaching. The color of the two lights is close enough that you don't get that weird blue/yellow thing that you'd get with an HID/Halogen combo.

If you've got the money, i'd say go for it. I was/am impressed with this combo.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF
    My personal experience is that the two lights compliment each other very well. Stella, while it has a fairly narrow beam pattern throws almost as far as the ARC, and really does what a lightweight helmet mounted light is supposed to do - fill in the spots that the big boy bar light isn't reaching. The color of the two lights is close enough that you don't get that weird blue/yellow thing that you'd get with an HID/Halogen combo.

If you've got the money, i'd say go for it. I was/am impressed with this combo.
    So you are running the Arc (Hid) and a Stella (Led) and are pleased. That is good. I was a little concerned after using two Arcs I might be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    2 Arc's compared to, 1 + a Stella is a definate down move, your going to be searching around alot more with the tight spot of the Stella!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    2 Arc's compared to, 1 + a Stella is a definate down move, your going to be searching around alot more with the tight spot of the Stella!!
    This is my concern, now, this was my first time using two lights and while two arc's were nice, a second arc isn't in the cards. Not to mention the numerous times I rode with just one light, or even back in the day I used a Night Sun team max.

So it is more of a question of what the budget will permit.
    The Stella is on sale for $209, and I like keeping with L&M, as I already have the Lithium turbo charger.

But I am open to suggestions.

This is another option
    http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...unt2=713248848
    I don't like the two battery setup.

And a third choice I have is an new old stock L&M solo lithium ion that has 390 lum's, but should I be going to LED
    Last edited by senna; 04-09-2009 at 07:25 PM.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I think you will be pleased with the Stella if that's the case but which of the Dinottes are you thinking of? The link goes to a general page from them
    They are a great product. If you are thinking about the 200L lithium-ion go to acid.blogspot? and check the reviews with pics from both

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I think you will be pleased with the Stella if that's the case but which of the Dinottes are you thinking of? The link goes to a general page from them
    They are a great product. If you are thinking about the 200L lithium-ion go to acid.blogspot? and check the reviews with pics from both
    I was thinking of the 400L helmet mount. Same money, as the stella, Like I said I don't like having to deal with switching batteries, and I do like the power output and daul led's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think the 400L is easily the best choice.

J

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by senna
    I was thinking of the 400L helmet mount. Same money, as the stella, Like I said I don't like having to deal with switching batteries, and I do like the power output and daul led's.
    You have 2 battery choices... Remeber that the 2-cell battery last 2.5h in high but since it's twice as powerful as the Stela, you could use it at 50% and will last 5 hours...
    Changing batteries is not hard; you could place the extra one in the top tupe or on the seatpost. Takes 2 minutes.
    The other option would be to get 1 2-cell for normal rides and 1 4-cell for log rides and it would be like 30$ more only.
    Both have excellent quality, the only reason to consider the Stela would be compatibility, other than that, 400L wins

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    You have 2 battery choices... Remeber that the 2-cell battery last 2.5h in high but since it's twice as powerful as the Stela, you could use it at 50% and will last 5 hours...
    Changing batteries is not hard; you could place the extra one in the top tupe or on the seatpost. Takes 2 minutes.
    The other option would be to get 1 2-cell for normal rides and 1 4-cell for log rides and it would be like 30$ more only.
    Both have excellent quality, the only reason to consider the Stela would be compatibility, other than that, 400L wins
    I think I am going with the 400L helmet mount, with 2 batteries.
    If I am going to do it I want the helmet mount, and might as well use the smaller batteries mounted on the helmet, no more wired to back pack.

And at 400 lums I can definitely run it on a lower setting wile climbing.

Sometime I need help going to something new, what I have been using works. But I liked having a lot of light on the helmet on the downhill. So I think the 400L will be nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    400L is more sensible, ofcourse I've got @900L on my head from 2 cheap torches

Wires to the backpack suck avoid at all cost IMHO.

I do all my climbing especially on fireroads with my helmet lights off totally and just my 1 torch on it's low setting think 200L, all you need, extends the runtime hugely as sadly 80%++ of my ride time is spent climbing

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I always looked at the ARC as a helmet light. I want peripheral vision as well as lighting up the trail as I ride. The Stella on a helmet is too narrow if you put a bit of speed in with the range of vision equation. Put a Stella on the bar and that's okay. Narrow bright beam hitting all where you are now. Wide bright lights are for helmets. Light up the night. Put the ARC on the top.

mtbr member
    I think the 400L is the way to go too. You get more bang for the buck and the 400L beam seems not as narrow as the Stella. I see Dinotte offers additional lenses for $10 more so I would grab them for that price too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a 400L but I'm very interested to hear a comparison between that and the Ayup Narrow. From the reviews here, it looks like the Ayups put out more light.

j.