Thread: Wider Beam?

Professional Crastinator

Wider Beam?

My NiteRider Blowtorch battery finally gave up the ghost this past Spring. With the days getting shorter I'm needing a new light kit.

The NiteRider was heavy, but 3-4 hr. run time at ~600 lumens was pretty awesome.

I like the 3 hr. run time.
    I could get by with lower power (I always thought 600 lumens was positively obnoxious).
    I always wished the Blowtorch had more of a flood light pattern than a spot pattern.

I'm waiting to see if LED bulbs come out to replace the old Vista Light Xenon bulbs. They are still in a box in my basement. Those were a great dual light set-up. With adjustable focus, even with only 10W pointed high, and 5W pointed low I still managed to go really fast at night. I think the equivalent is less than 200 lumens in modern lighting.

The NiteRider Lumina 550 or even the MiNewt Mini 350 might do the job. The helmet mount might work out well, although I've never tried one. I also have the option of mounting the Lumina or MiNewt on the bars and I have 2 Blackburn Fleas that I can helmet mount.

Any recommendations? I'm not married to NiteRider.

Thanks,
    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What is your budget??

mtbr member
    I think you might like the new NiteRiders. IMO their beam pattern is very similar to Lupine. A 'wide focused' beam I would say

Lights have changed (improved) so much it's not really worth it to fiddle with older lights. 3 hours at 600 lumens you can get from a cordless light. I would steer away from the cheap eBay Chinese knock offs of knock offs. And even from 'reputable' knock offs like Magicshine (their batteries just don't last).

For self-contained check out the Cateye Volt 1200 or even 600 (or new 700). $200 for the 1200/1300 with 2 hour run-time at medium (600 lumens).

Otherwise the Gloworm X2 or Gemini Duo would be good options. Nice wide beams with good throw, good quality and service. The 4 cell batteries will give you about 3 hours run time at 50% to 70% output. Check out action LED's website which sells both or just Google it. I think they go for somewhere around $200.

Off course the options are virtually unlimited today, and there is so much info to weed through. If you like doing that kind of stuff you'll have a great time searching for the appropriate light. But you've come to the right place to find good info quickly.

Again, the above is just my personal preference. I recommend quality because that's what I prefer and it seems that you like to keep your lights for a long time instead of replacing them every year.

Good luck and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Also, here is the 2014 bicycle light 'shootout' that Francois has been doing the past couple of years.

2014 Mtbr Bike Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well not knowing your budget i'll contribute what I think is the best bang for the buck in a quality product as it does look like you would use a light as long as it was still working for you down the road.

I agree with blackbean that trying to upgrade your old system is not the way to go unless your skilled and love doing that sort of thing. Anything you go for now a days is going to blow the doors off you old blow torch in terms of brightness,, color rendition will be much softer than the harsh blue tint from Xenon bulbs giving you way more detail on the trail ahead,, and the spread of light will be smoother and if using an optic type light will have no real hotspot but a smooth diversified beam of light allowing you to focus on the trail instead of been distracted by a narrow light swaying left and right etc.

A good quality middle of the road (in terms of price) product that I think is outstanding are either the GloWorm X-2, or the Gemini Duo. Both very similar in design or appearance but different in the respect that the X-2 has interchangeable optics. This will give you the option to widen or make your beam more narrow to suit your taste. The Gemini Duo doesn't give you that option but does provide a very nice even beam that would suit most.

Run times on both are similar. Using just the 2-cell battery you will get the three hour run times you want at half power which is in the 600Gemini/700X-2 (actual)lumen output. Personally I would go for the four cell battery's as (and you can trust me on this) you will find yourself using the higher modes more than you thought. Because the light is projected over a larger area than your old set up you need more lumens to appear as bright.

If you want the IMO the best and have a good budget take a look at Lupine You can find them at gretnabikes.com. The Gemini Duo/ Gloworm can be found at actionledlights.com Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Fleas,,, also if you want good quality hand built product by one of our own members here on MTBR check out Scar's Amoeba lights. He will customize to pretty much anything you want pertaining to led choice reflector choice and battery choice. Good guy and will stand behind his product long after your purchase. Good luck on your choice!!

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    A good quality middle of the road (in terms of price) product that I think is outstanding are either the GloWorm X-2, or the Gemini Duo. Both very similar in design or appearance but different in the respect that the X-2 has interchangeable optics. This will give you the option to widen or make your beam more narrow to suit your taste....The Gemini Duo/ Gloworm can be found at actionledlights.com Cheers!!
    Action-LED-Lights ? GLOWORM X2 v3.1 1500 lumen Bike Light

WOW! Interchangeable optics + programmable runtime modes = just what I need!
    (This link shows the spot/flood comparison pretty well.

It's a bit more than I was planning to spend, but those are great features so maybe I'll make the investment. Heck, I had the BlowTorch for prob'ly 10 yrs. I appreciate the leads everyone. Very accurate description of the "blue" light, the harsh shadows, washed out color of the HID Blowtorch.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Good to hear your considering going for the X-2 Fleas,, I think you will be very happy with that decision. If you do go for it, you have to get back to us and give us your thoughts.