mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Wide angle lenser on helmet or handlebar light?

I am new to night riding. Actually only have dont it once. I bought 2 lights off Amazon that are basically a knock off of the Magic shine 808. One for the helmet and the other for the bike. I also picked up the wide angle lense that is supposed to make a wide beem instead of the spot light type beem. Would it be recommended to put the wide lense on the helmet light or handlebar light. This is the light I bought. It seems to be going well. A few of the guys I ride with have them and are happy with them. The one time I did ride at night I used just one of these on the handle bar. While not ideal it seemed to work good with just the one light.

Light : Amazon.com: 4 Mode 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 Bulb LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp: Sports & Outdoors

Diffuser: Amazon.com: Wide Angle Lens for MagicShine, Gemini, and many other Bike Lights / Headlight: Sports & Outdoors
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I prefer to have wide-beam light on the bar, and narrow one on helmet.

But why you don't just try it yourself both ways, to see what setup you like?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    "The one time I did ride at night I used just one of these on the handle bar. While not ideal it seemed to work good with just the one light."

I might pick up one of these lights for riding on the street and I was wondering if you had the diffuser installed on this light you were using?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I am new to night riding. Actually only have dont it once. I bought 2 lights off Amazon that are basically a knock off of the Magic shine 808. One for the helmet and the other for the bike. I also picked up the wide angle lense that is supposed to make a wide beem instead of the spot light type beem. Would it be recommended to put the wide lense on the helmet light or handlebar light. This is the light I bought. It seems to be going well. A few of the guys I ride with have them and are happy with them. The one time I did ride at night I used just one of these on the handle bar. While not ideal it seemed to work good with just the one light.

Light : Amazon.com: 4 Mode 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 Bulb LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp: Sports & Outdoors

Diffuser: Amazon.com: Wide Angle Lens for MagicShine, Gemini, and many other Bike Lights / Headlight: Sports & Outdoors
    Welcome to the new world of night riding, the consensus from night riders is wide angle on the bars, spot on your helmet. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by captain387 View Post
    "The one time I did ride at night I used just one of these on the handle bar. While not ideal it seemed to work good with just the one light."

I might pick up one of these lights for riding on the street and I was wondering if you had the diffuser installed on this light you were using?
    No diffuser on the one I used. Keep in mind this is a really bright light....careful where you aim it on the street.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    No diffuser on the one I used. Keep in mind this is a really bright light....careful where you aim it on the street.
    Thanks for the response, I will try to make sure that I don't blind everyone and every thing if I go with this light

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    But why you don't just try it yourself both ways, to see what setup you like?
    +1 on this.

Different setups for different people. My preference is spot on bar and helmet. Flood beam on the bars lights up things I don't need or want to see. If I need to see to the side for a switchback or tight twist in the trail, I look there and the helmet light does the job. I want the bar light to throw good distance as it is what I rely on for high speed sections as now the bar is pointed the direction of travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I will probably try both set ups. I just wanted to see what the preference is. I dont want to do a trail side change....my luck I would loose a part.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Welcome to the new world of night riding, the consensus from night riders is wide angle on the bars, spot on your helmet. Cheers!!
    ^what he said.