Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    234

    Why does my Taz 1200 seem so under powered?



    I bought the Taz a couple of months ago while looking for a bar light with lots of flood. The beam pattern is great but power output is very yellow and weak. With all the positive reviews of the light I thought it might be my bad eyes (I don't see yellow very easily from all my retina surgery's) so I took it to my lbs to see what they thought. They got a replacement from L&M but it works the same. I've asked others who were riding with me what they thought of the light and and they all guessed less than 600 lumens at the highest setting (so it's not just my eyes). Comparing what I see to the 2014 MTBR light shoot out beam tests the Taz looks like the same beam pattern only much dimmer where as the other lights I own that were tested if anything seen brighter to me. I'm confused! Has any one else had this problem with their Taz? Any Ideas what the problem might be?
    Mole

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post

    I bought the Taz a couple of months ago while looking for a bar light with lots of flood. The beam pattern is great but power output is very yellow and weak. With all the positive reviews of the light I thought it might be my bad eyes (I don't see yellow very easily from all my retina surgery's) so I took it to my lbs to see what they thought. They got a replacement from L&M but it works the same. I've asked others who were riding with me what they thought of the light and and they all guessed less than 600 lumens at the highest setting (so it's not just my eyes). Comparing what I see to the 2014 MTBR light shoot out beam tests the Taz looks like the same beam pattern only much dimmer where as the other lights I own that were tested if anything seen brighter to me. I'm confused! Has any one else had this problem with their Taz? Any Ideas what the problem might be?
    Mole
    Does the Taz have a hidden burst, or turbo mode?? If so that may be the 1200 lumen setting.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Does the Taz have a hidden burst, or turbo mode?? If so that may be the 1200 lumen setting.
    Only 2 modes that I know of. Regular is 1200/600/300/flash and race mode is 1000/450. What really confuses me is the great lux rating MTBR got on the Taz. If I understand MTBRs lux rating correctly it is the measure of light intensity directly in front of the light. The Taz I have is not even as bright as the hot spot of my old P7 Gemini Titan which just shouldn't be IMO. Maybe it's time to contact Light & Motion my self an see if they have an answer. Thanks for the Reply!
    Mole

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigkat273's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    502
    I would contact L&M for sure... My taz 1200 has been great for the past year with a nice, bright white pattern.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Only 2 modes that I know of. Regular is 1200/600/300/flash and race mode is 1000/450. What really confuses me is the great lux rating MTBR got on the Taz. If I understand MTBRs lux rating correctly it is the measure of light intensity directly in front of the light. The Taz I have is not even as bright as the hot spot of my old P7 Gemini Titan which just shouldn't be IMO. Maybe it's time to contact Light & Motion my self an see if they have an answer. Thanks for the Reply!
    Mole
    I had the P-7 Titan and the Taz should be significantly brighter at 1206 measured lumens. It has my XM-L version Gemini Duo beat by 100 lumens (older version) so I have an idea of what you should be seeing.
    Hard to say since your on your second Taz and still have the same impression.

    Maybe borrow a buddy's light that is in that same lumen range but most likely another brand and compare,,, if you have that option. Have you rode with anyone that has something you can compare lights to??

    I know with myself that warmer color rendition gives me the impression that light output isn't what is claimed vs a cooler temp.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    I would contact L&M for sure... My taz 1200 has been great for the past year with a nice, bright white pattern.
    It seems like contacting them is the best thing to do at this point. The 2 examples I've had have not been bright or white, in fact very yellow. Thanks!
    Mole

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    234
    [QUOTE=indebt;11423591]I had the P-7 Titan and the Taz should be significantly brighter at 1206 measured lumens. It has my XM-L version Gemini Duo beat by 100 lumens (older version) so I have an idea of what you should be seeing.
    Hard to say since your on your second Taz and still have the same impression.

    Maybe borrow a buddy's light that is in that same lumen range but most likely another brand and compare,,, if you have that option. Have you rode with anyone that has something you can compare lights to??

    I know with myself that warmer color rendition gives me the impression that light output isn't what is claimed vs a cooler temp.[/QUOTE

    I also have one of the original Duo lights and it absolutely stomps the Taz in precieved brightness for me. I also had a chance to compare it to one of the new Tax 1500's, didn't seem much brighter which would indicate there is nothing wrong with my light. Emitter tint is a possible explanation. I wouldn't think it would make that big a difference but it's sometimes hard to judge the degree that all my eye surgerys have on what I see. If this ends up being the problem it's a good lession for me to avoid warmer tints when choosing a new light.
    Mole

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    835
    [QUOTE=MRMOLE;11424296]
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    I had the P-7 Titan and the Taz should be significantly brighter at 1206 measured lumens. It has my XM-L version Gemini Duo beat by 100 lumens (older version) so I have an idea of what you should be seeing.
    Hard to say since your on your second Taz and still have the same impression.

    Maybe borrow a buddy's light that is in that same lumen range but most likely another brand and compare,,, if you have that option. Have you rode with anyone that has something you can compare lights to??

    I know with myself that warmer color rendition gives me the impression that light output isn't what is claimed vs a cooler temp.[/QUOTE

    I also have one of the original Duo lights and it absolutely stomps the Taz in precieved brightness for me. I also had a chance to compare it to one of the new Tax 1500's, didn't seem much brighter which would indicate there is nothing wrong with my light. Emitter tint is a possible explanation. I wouldn't think it would make that big a difference but it's sometimes hard to judge the degree that all my eye surgerys have on what I see. If this ends up being the problem it's a good lession for me to avoid warmer tints when choosing a new light.
    Mole
    If that's the case and your Duo is that much brighter to your eyes than the Taz, then I think you have discovered your answer. If you do go for warmer tints in the future, up the lumens as I have done, otherwise stick to cooler color rendition for sure. Also if the light is spread out more as L&M is known for that also can reduce the appearance of actual lumens.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blackbean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    121
    I tried a Volt 1200 and Taz 1200 last December and sent both back. I was completely underwhelmed.

    I think the problem is that since they are handlebar mounted lights, the light does not sit high enough to spread properly. If you hold the light above your head (like it was on your helmet) you should see a big difference and what I mean.

    The same light on the handlebar will almost always appear less bright than on your helmet. So I don't think it's the Taz as such, since I felt the same way about the Volt.

    I prefer a helmet light but when riding on the road, a handlebar light is better in that you don't point your light into drivers eyes as you move your head to look around. On the trail I use my handlebar light as a backup or on a low setting for additional light.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,618
    FWIW, I bought my daughter a Taz1000 for her college bike. When I compared it to both my old Piko at 750 lumens, and my old Wilma at 1500 lumens adjusted to 1000, it looked about the same intensity although I thought the Taz beam was better than Lupine's.

    So I would say that a properly operating Taz should be very similar to other 1200 lumen lights.

    You might want to get L&M on the phone and walk through operation with them.

    J.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    234
    Thanks for the reply's! I'm going to contact L&M and while my "special needs" eyes my be the problem I'm having a hard time believing it could make that much of a difference so I'm also going to try to borrow or rent a LUX meter. 1206 lumens, 111 MTBR lux should look bright no matter how warm the emitter tint is IMO. Life is a bit hectic right now, but when I get some light meter readings I'll post them, and of course what L&M's response is.
    Mole

Similar Threads

  1. AA powered USB charger?
    By J-No in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 01:07 PM
  2. Human powered
    By AZ in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 06:20 PM
  3. Best AA or AAA powered light
    By blt2drg in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 08:29 AM
  4. Sigar powered LED :)
    By e_lasman in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 02:35 PM
  5. OT - Anger Powered Cars
    By indigosky in forum Passion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 08:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •