mtbr member
    May 2008

Who's winning the LED Light Battle as of FEB 2011?

The MagicShines started it off with the $85 unit that people are still using today. Very few battery failures, and no known Lamp issues. They've held up for a year without burning out like some speculated. I think lamp unit durability is a non issue at this point in the game, nobody is producing a head unit that is failing consistently.

Who holds the title for best value to output right now? Post links of the product so us rookies know what your talking about. Acronyms are for the birds, and convolute the discussion.

Me and my buddies are ready to jump in on 3-6 lights between us. Were's the best place to drop our hard earned dollars?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think you are grossly misinformed re. MS lights.

There are serious battery reliabilty issues. Most batteries are dead or significantly diminished in under a year, if not (much) sooner.

The head light unit itself does break. The electronics lack the robust contstuction necessary to survive for long.

Same goes for the charger and wiring.

The entire light is built as cheaply as possible, ostensibly to survive a 90 day mfg warranty period.

If you're lucky you may get a good one. If you buy three I'd wager only 1 still worked (all components) after a year of normal use.

I can't tell if you're serious, or a shill, or just lazy and never researched this topic.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Gotta agree more with seeker on this one. I bought one Magicshine light shortly after they first appeared on the scene. So far I've had the battery fail, the cable from the light head started to get flaky at the plug and finally the LED had 3 or the 4 dies fail. Fortunately this is not my only light, and I have the skills to fix all the things that have failed, but reliability has been less than stellar.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've spent multiple hours reading the lighting threads over the past days. Very few guys have popped up saying the head units failed. Multiple guys said they have the same battery set ups and they're going good despite the voluntary recall and they're still using the Magic Shine System.

That said, there's better units out there right now. Which one is the best bang for the buck?

(The shill comment was pretty funny though)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What does this mean?

"finally the LED had 3 or the 4 dies fail"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the ssc p7 is a 4 die led - 4 seperate leds integrated into a single manufactured unit

3/4 dies out=25% output

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So if you were to buy all over again today, what VALUE minded unit would you go with?

mtbr member
    Shill Alert! (insert alarm sounds!)

I am the marketing director for Baja Designs so take whatever I say with as many grains of salt as you would like...

That being said I have been in the bicycle light business since early 1999 so I have seen quite a few companies and trends in lighting come and go, what follows is a little of what I have learned concerning "value" as it pertains to bicycle lighting.

LORENZ it depends on what "value" means to you as an individual. To me personally it is a combination of price/performance/longevity/warranty/customer service/24hr race support. Rarely in this crazy mixed up world do you get a whole lot a something for nothing or not much, that being said DIY guys love lights that they can tinker with so some of the inexpensive lights are great for them.

My view on this is to take a hard look at what the warranty, the availability of parts, reviews on the lights, customer service and access to the company, 12/24hr race attendance (if that is something you aspire to), length of time the company has been in the light biz (will they be around in a few years to take care of a warranty issue or get parts from?), and finally just shear performance of the given system you want to run.

Those aren't necessarily in order of importance because everyone has their own priorities, only you know what is most important to you and where your priorities lie.

Shannon

www.airbornemtb.org
    fwiw i have 3 magicshine lights that are still going strong, one is over 1 year old and has the original battery. one unit came with a bad battery and geoman sent me a new one in 3 days.

performance wise im really happy with my setup, and i have yet to run across someone on the trail with a setup im jealous of. i ride 2-3 times a week at night and thats something i would not be doing without good lights

its true you do get what you pay for, the lights like the baja's look very well built and will probably take more abuse.

The MS is defiantly not the best light out there, but i think its misleading to give the impression that just because they are cheap they are bound to fail. That being said, i take it you have read all the threads re the battery issues and recall?
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

Its got what plants crave
    My lighthead is still going strong despite being purchased sometime in November of 2009. One of my batteries is dead, but to be fair, it was left in a hot car over a Florida summer on a regular basis... not good for batteries. I bought 2 batteries when I got the kit, and the second battery still works well. I think at this juncture the best bet is to get one of the Magicshine style setups that lets you use your own individual cells in the battery back. Buy some quality cells (of buy a dozen cheap cells and it wont matter) and charge them separately. I think the light head is what LEDs are supposed to be.. reliable. Mine has been. I also think some with light head failures ran their lights on high when there was no airflow. If you're not riding, don't run it on high! Anyway, mine has been pretty solid and batteries are considered disposable to me anyway.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Saskatchewan, Canada
    Jan 2008

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by seeker
    the ssc p7 is a 4 die led - 4 seperate leds integrated into a single manufactured unit

3/4 dies out=25% output
    Why so negative? You're getting quadruple the stock run time.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Buy some quality cells (of buy a dozen cheap cells and it wont matter) and charge them separately.

Tell me more about the individual cell setup. I figured I'd be soldering a couple together like I did in my RC Car days when I considered making my own.

I really like the sound of "expensive" name brand, Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung or Sony cells charged individually. They can be had for a song if I buy a couple dozen of them at a time I assume? I think the cheap china lithium cells are $1-2 right?

I'm envisioning some sort of 4 cell holder with 2 leads coming off of it in order to get the individual cells apart for charging, and back together again for use with the light. Am I on the right track? I'm thinking something like this, but for lithium cells?

How about the charger? Can you shoot me a link for a high quality Lithium cell charger for these individual cells.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brown
    Why so negative? You're getting quadruple the stock run time.
    Haaah! See the cup is half full!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    best value, in my opinion :
    - what holds value
    - has quality
    - has outstanding support, if needed
    - is confidence inspiring
    - is reliable
    - is upgradable
    - is compatible
    - availability , try to buy some lights or parts for your MS in a bike store !?

top contenders:
    1 - Lupine , helmet Piko, handlebar Betty
    2 - Bajadesigns handlebar strykr, helmet strykr pro,
    3 - X

for function / price = value
    Baja is #1 , the Strykr , on the handlebar is the brightest, best build in it's price class!
    ... limited lifetime warranty on light head, battery waterproof to 10m ...
    side note, just finished my test, on the battery,... only says 3hrs+
    but those you get, rain or shine, cold or hot, brand new or 3 years down the road,
    you get 3hrs+,....... the other ones offer more , maybe, some magic, some mystery,
    this or that, who knows, in the lab, on the bench, by petting the charger,....
    the strykr battery is the the first one, that offers consistency and top notch quality.

now if price is the only consideration, gotta take a look at those with a flashlight.
    $0, since they already own a flashlight, not sure how much they ride,...
    seriously, haven't seen a decent rider, with a bike under $1500 bucks,
    average, more like 2.7k+, though I've seen some with a special edition carbon fiber,
    what was more like 8.5k,... ride with MS,.... what I still can't figure out?,...

now for the Battery, well it's a battery, non of it lasts forever, on a laptop, with heavy usage, if you squeeze out 2+ years, be happy, and I got 2.
    now back on value, take a look at my list , again,..
    Is it real value, if you can't even get a battery ?
    would you like to buy a vlaued/ cheap laptop, where you can''t even buy a extra/spare battery,... and probably won't be able to get one 2 years down the road! is that value ?
    guess it would save you money , ehm ? real value ?

I'am sure , they are many more lights, and please post.
    now when the soup boils down, and it cools, the list be short, I'am sure

--
    just my 2 cents, 2 mah, 2 lumen, Rob
    http://mtbl.robs-x.com

mtbr member
    Iam in the market for some good light. Have it down to two MG and Bajadesign. Now are the Magicshine lights sold on ebay by the ebay store of Nova Lights. Are they the same lights that had the battery issue or are they new and improved. Or is that another topic for another day??? Here is a link to the ebay ad.

http://stores.ebay.com/Nova-Bike-Lights

I also like the bajadesign lights, seem very well built but the price....I could buy two mg lights for that.

Stuck on a fence!!!
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-29er
    I just bought one from Nova on ebay. I've only had it a week, but it seem like a good light. Time will tell with the battery I guess. They claim they are updated and safe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have had my magic shine light for about a year with no problems. I get out about once week for a night ride. Out of the group (4 MS lights total)there has been one battery failure and one that seems to have a short run time.

A buddy just purchased a Jett A-51 and it is of great quality. It is slightly less bright and the light pattern is more centered. I wish this light had been available when I was in the market. It will be one of my next purchases.

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by LORENZ
    Tell me more about the individual cell setup. I figured I'd be soldering a couple together like I did in my RC Car days when I considered making my own.

I really like the sound of "expensive" name brand, Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung or Sony cells charged individually. They can be had for a song if I buy a couple dozen of them at a time I assume? I think the cheap china lithium cells are $1-2 right?

I'm envisioning some sort of 4 cell holder with 2 leads coming off of it in order to get the individual cells apart for charging, and back together again for use with the light. Am I on the right track? I'm thinking something like this, but for lithium cells?

How about the charger? Can you shoot me a link for a high quality Lithium cell charger for these individual cells.

18650 cells are about $6-$10 for a pair of the cheapo Chinese ones.
    Good quality cells are about $8-$15 each.
    A couple dozen would be quite a bit of dough....= )
    Good thing you only need about 4 of them for a magicshine setup.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member

There are serious battery reliabilty issues. Most batteries are dead or significantly diminished in under a year, if not (much) sooner.

The head light unit itself does break. The electronics lack the robust contstuction necessary to survive for long.

The entire light is built as cheaply as possible, ostensibly to survive a 90 day mfg warranty period.

If you're lucky you may get a good one. If you buy three I'd wager only 1 still worked (all components) after a year of normal use.

I can't tell if you're serious, or a shill, or just lazy and never researched this topic.
    So, do you have one...or three? Because I have two, one of which is over a year old and the other about 8 months old. Both are going strong, the oldest one doesn't last as long on a charge, but still is fine for about 2 hours. Not bad considering I've used this at least twice per week through the summer, and 5 days a week commuting during the fall/winter months. I also ride with several people with Magicshines, and theirs are all running strong since last summer too.

FWIW, if I were to buy another light right now it would be a Gemini Titan. Almost identical to the Magicshine, but the battery manufacturer is of better repute than the cheaper batteries used in the MagicShines. If you can wait a few months, Geomangear.com is going to be shipping new Magicshines with higher quality battery packs around April/May of this year.

And if you can only buy one light, break the bank and get a Baja Stryker or similar high-quality light. If you're going to put all your eggs in one basket, that better be one strong basket. You don't want to be 10 miles from your car on a pitch black night without a light.
    Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 02-10-2011 at 10:23 AM.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7
    I just bought one from Nova on ebay. I've only had it a week, but it seem like a good light. Time will tell with the battery I guess. They claim they are updated and safe.
    Bought my MS from nova lights in October and no issues. Out lasted two Geoman lights( one cord issue and one battery) bought at the same time and i don't know whats the actual diff. My battery is different looking though. Has a black rubber enclosure.

Ill continue to use them . (At least until i get a new house out of the deal)!

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011

Dinotte

I have a Dinotte 1200L, 600L, and 200L. I normally run the 1200 on the handlebars and the 200 on my helmet.

The 1200 is awesome. Incredible light coverage, wide, short, and long. It's a 2+ hour run time on a 4 cell lithium ion battery, but it's easy to mount two of them and switch over.

The best things about Dinotte are 1) customer service; 2) reliable products; and 3) batteries use a common connection among all lithium ion models, so they are interchangeable and can easily be found and purchased later on to replace or add more.

They are not the cheapest nor the most expensive, but if you want something that works great every single time for years, I think they are the way to go. Just can't say enough good about them.

http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...CS=dinotte&All=

Quote Originally Posted by LORENZ
    The MagicShines started it off with the $85 unit that people are still using today. Very few battery failures, and no known Lamp issues. They've held up for a year without burning out like some speculated. I think lamp unit durability is a non issue at this point in the game, nobody is producing a head unit that is failing consistently.

Who holds the title for best value to output right now? Post links of the product so us rookies know what your talking about. Acronyms are for the birds, and convolute the discussion.

Me and my buddies are ready to jump in on 3-6 lights between us. Were's the best place to drop our hard earned dollars?
    I can't think of anything witty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm a cygolite guy myself. 2 years and going strong.

Chunky Monkey

I CALL TOTAL BS On You

Yes, I have had a MS battery or two fail over two-three years. No I am not going to ask Reed? for a recall battery, GeoMan kept me riding when I could not afford anything else. NR the same. L&M the same. ALL good lights. Replacement battery prices between MM and others?-BIG differences-Ya think?

I have had four units (light heads and batterys). L&M the best until Geo came along...

No light heads have gone bad, will they? Well, they prolly will. A HID bulb for NR=$100-Come on...

Yes there are better systems on the market...I can not afford them. If I could I WOULD buy them, but these keep me riding...

Thx,
    John
    Once Again...
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Another happy MS user here, I have had mine for over a year and a half with zero issues but because i did not feel comfortable risking my family or house i did end up building my own battery pack and store it along with my original pack in my roll away and will most likely continue to do so once i get new pack from geoman-Over all i have no complaints with my ms and am very happy with how it has performed,with that being said i am in the market for a second light and have it narrowed down to piko or strykr.

btw if any one is interested here are the links to the battery and plug i bought.

http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion186...bareleads.aspx

http://shop.willyselectronics.com/br...g-/4,7974.html