mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Where to place from reflector

I bought a new GT zaskar expert 2008.
    I am not sure where to mount the front reflector. the handlebar is not the same diameter everywhere. Is there an alternative place to mount it?

~Disc~Golf~
    Don't worry about the reflector...It's half-ass (and looks gay in the day-time )
    Get a light (front and rear) if you plan on riding at night on the streets.
    It's much safer too.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckyamaha
    I bought a new GT zaskar expert 2008.
    I am not sure where to mount the front reflector. the handlebar is not the same diameter everywhere. Is there an alternative place to mount it?
    Reflective tape on the forks works well. If you have a black bike its not noticeable in daylight.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    why didnt the shop assemble the bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Don't worry about the reflector...It's half-ass (and looks gay in the day-time )
    Get a light (front and rear) if you plan on riding at night on the streets.
    It's much safer too.
    yeah really.. cars cant see that reflector unless their headlights are pointing at it, and if they're pointing at it that means they're about to run your ass over anyway

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    yeah really.. cars cant see that reflector unless their headlights are pointing at it, and if they're pointing at it that means they're about to run your ass over anyway
    A reflector is visible from a pretty long distance, and even if it is not in the brightest light. Every little thing helps.

For my low-light commutes, I have a light AND a reflector mounted on the bar. ... and the red counterparts on the seat post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i think a lot of motorists have are pretty much on autopilot to visual inputs.. (same reason i think solid, non flashing red rear tails are a better option).

to a motorist, a white headlight facing their direction means oncoming traffic, automatic response is to avoid. reflectors can mean road bumps, etc.. or worse yet, if it registers as something unusual, drivers have a bad tendency to steer where they look. if they're staring at your odd reflection, they're steering at you!

it makes sense to me.. other people have told me studies have been done which kind of back it, all though i havent looked into them. i think the best option is to emulate motorcycle lighting as its not unusual and doesnt trigger a "stare at weird glowing object and steer into it" response. safer to be passed seen, but not stared at.

if you're in a city very saturated with bicycle culture, this probably doesnt apply at all since motorists will have normalized seeing cyclists.. in which case i think standing out and drawing attention might be safer..

~Disc~Golf~
    I think we all can agree those cheezy reflectors:
    A - Look lame (but who really cares ) and,
    B - Are no substitute for some lights

If you want to run both, hey, more the merrier.
    and if I'm not mistaken, it's illegal to ride in darkness without a front light.(At least in Cali it is - YMMV)

mtbr member
    Time and time again I see people riding at night, usually on the wrong side of the road with nothing but reflectors...either on their bike or just their pedals. Yes, reflectors suck but at least they are better than nothing at all. Oh yeah, HighDelll...I know this guy who has a bone to pick with you..( see picture below )
    Attached Images Attached Images

local trails rider
    I think we all can agree those cheezy reflectors:
    A - Look lame (but who really cares ) and,
    B - Are no substitute for some lights
    I do not agree that reflectors, at least real ones, are cheezy

I agree that they are no substitute for lights.

Where I live, it is illegal to operate a bike in traffic, without a specified set of reflectors. In low-light conditions a front light is also required. ... so my commuter is illegal because it only has front and rear reflectors. ... It is also illegal to walk in traffic in low-light conditions, without a reflector, but nobody cares about that one.

Experiments have shown that if a driver, with high beam on, sees a pedestrian on a dark road at 100 meters, he'd notice a pedestrian with a good reflector at about 300 meters. The distance is about halved at low beam.

~Disc~Golf~
    Ahh, apologies perttime, I was referring to the lame little plastic ones that are required by law for bike sales in the US - ya know what I'm talkin about

I REALLY like that black reflective tape ( I forget who makes it - 3M??) for black places on your bike (black rims for example) - totally inconspicuous in the daytime

and @ Cat-man-do...I cant see that image

mtbr member
    ... Cat-man-do...I cant see that image
    ...in some sense, that just makes it even funnier. Yes, the picture is somewhat small. I can see it fine on forum..(anyone else? )..Well, lets just say it is so small you could call it a "Pee-Wee" of a picture.

local trails rider
    I see the pic but I don't really get the point... maybe I am missing some reference...

~Disc~Golf~
    I can see it now (musta had a glitch in the page load earlier)...I don't get the reference either

mtbr member
    Don't worry about the reflector...It's half-ass (and looks gay in the day-time )...
    I don't think Pee Wee would like that statement...just poking some fun at you. If you don't know who Pee Wee is then I guess it made no sense. Some of the fun factor dropped though having to spell it out even this far. Perttime, you're from Finland. You might not know who Pee Wee Herman is...totally understandable. Rent the movie, "Pee Wee's big Adventure" and you will understand. ( as long as it's translated... )

~Disc~Golf~
    yeah, I think we all know who Pee-wee Herman is...
    I just didn't catch the link between the two.
    I use the term 'looks gay' as a figure of speech - ie. 'looks lame'
    FWIW - I never really thought of Pee-Wee as gay, although I suppose I might understand why someone might equate that - a man wearing make-up...it's just a stretch for me.

Sorry your joke didn't fly maybe quoting my original statement in your post might have given it a bit more context...next time eh?

mtbr member
    yeah, I think we all know who Pee-wee Herman is...
    I just didn't catch the link between the two.
    I use the term 'looks gay' as a figure of speech - ie. 'looks lame'
    FWIW - I never really thought of Pee-Wee as gay, although I suppose I might understand why someone might equate that - a man wearing make-up...it's just a stretch for me.

Sorry your joke didn't fly maybe quoting my original statement in your post might have given it a bit more context...next time eh?
    Well...okay, if you say so. The classic definition of the word "gay" originally never had anything to do with being gay. Basically it meant , "joyous, lively or merry, or being bright visually. That was before the late 60's when the "Gay" movement helped redefine the definition of the word ( according to Websters which now include both definitions ). "Looking lame", is not a recognized definition. I agree with you though, I never thought of the Pee-Wee character as being gay in the strickest sense of the word. ( He did have a girl friend in the movie ) Perhaps a better description of the character would be to call him intensely juvenile with a ting of effeminacy ( meaning acting unmanly ) No doubt about it...Pee Wee was intensely unmanly but funny as hell. Yeah, in my first post I should of quoted you. That would of eliminated a lot of confusion...my bad Wow, this has turned into one heck of a thread hijack...sorry about that....Now back to your regularly scheduled boring thread on reflectors, of which I am sure Pee-Wee had a boat-load on his bike...

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ Pedant