Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    It doesn't wiggle, jiggle, or fall off (with a good cage that is). Also, its mostly protected from the elements.
    When I did 24 hr races the promoter required bottle mounted batteries have an auxiliary strap or tape to guarantee they would not pop out of a cage. Seems they had a bad OTB crash from a battery popping out and getting caught in between the spokes. Of course batteries were very heavy then compared to now.

Viva la Vida!

Where do you mount your battery pack?

I use Niterider Lumina all in one piece no need to mount extra batteries
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

I like turtles
    Here is mine. The strap from Backcountry Research works KILLER for this application...v. secure. I have a GeoMan battery and the base is contoured to fit round top tubes; mine is more square and even then, it doesn't move. Before I was using the Backcountry strap, the battery came with a generic velcro strap that allowed the battery to rotate around the tube; the Backcountry strap has a rubberized backing that prevents movement and grips the tube securely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where do you mount your battery pack?-20131026_231547.jpg  

Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    My SL-R frame has a hole just nice for mj-880 6cell battery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the direction to Backcountry Research, have been searching for a while now to find a durable velcro strap that holds a few bits and bobs onto top tube!

quiggs

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by quiggs1974 View Post
    Thanks for the direction to Backcountry Research, have been searching for a while now to find a durable velcro strap that holds a few bits and bobs onto top tube!

quiggs
    You won't be disappointed. I use their "Race II" strap to hold my tube/lever/CO2 under my seat. Great products..love supporting innovation by small US businesses!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I made a carbon fibre bracket to strap mine to the down tube waterbottle fittings.

∞~∞~∞~∞~∞
    I know this is an old thread but figured I'd see what people are using these days to mount their battery packs and where?

I recently purchased a BT40s kit as well as an extra Action LED 4 cell battery.

The Action LED battery came with rubber straps that latch and am wondering if it will be safe enough to use out on extremely rocky terrain???

I noticed some people house their battery pack in their water bottle.... i like this idea but wanna know what other options I have!
    Rick~
    16' Superfly 9.6
    Tucson, Az.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I go under the top tube as far forward as possible. I have the Panovo(?) 4 cell case that comes with a nice nylon/Velcro holder, I also use a cheap Velcro strap to make it extra secure.

I like turtles
    I use the new Magicshine batteries that have the rubber straps. On top of the top tube toward the front...can only go so far forward as the cable stops get in the way. Perfect location and keeps the cable nice and short. And no...you won't hit your balls on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where do you mount your battery pack?-uploadfromtaptalk1445632713145.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyTrail View Post
    I know this is an old thread but figured I'd see what people are using these days to mount their battery packs and where?

I recently purchased a BT40s kit as well as an extra Action LED 4 cell battery.

The Action LED battery came with rubber straps that latch and am wondering if it will be safe enough to use out on extremely rocky terrain???

I noticed some people house their battery pack in their water bottle.... i like this idea but wanna know what other options I have!
    When mounting a battery to a frame a lot depends on the frame itself, where the shifter/brake lines are mounted and lastly the length of the power cords.

I think most people typically mount the battery "under" the top tube and as close to the stem as possible. I mounted my battery there for years. Takes some practice threading the straps under the shifter cables/brake line but easy once you discover the trick ( when using Velcro straps ).

Currently I use a Xeccon battery with supplied pouch. The Xeccon pouch has a very nice built-in ( wide ) Velcro strap/buckle that when properly secured holds the battery in place very well. A couple years ago I started strapping mine down on the top side of the down tube ( as high as possible ). It took me a while to get used to the look but really it's easier to do since I have no shifter cables on the down tube. Picks up a little more dirt mounted there but it's not a big deal.

On my road set-up I just put the battery in my (aftermarket) small triangle frame pouch that I put all my other road stuff in. ( mounts in front between head tube, top and down tube ). Of course people with more racing style bikes usually like as less stuff mounted to the frame as possible. With my touring set-up the frame pouch works for me and leaves my "under seat" area clear for other stuff. I've seen people mount batteries under the stem too. What ever works.

It's really not so important what it looks like, really. You're riding at night back in the woods. Who's gonna see where you mount your battery? The major issue for me is always function over form. I gave up worrying about how all the "light stuff" looked on my bike ( and helmet ) years ago. The important stuff is that I have reliable lamps and batteries and that they work long enough for me to complete my rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I use a water bottle and have for a while now. I am not at all worried about the weight and use a very high power Li Po battery as I have a high power - high drain lighting setup.. but it is worth it.

Battery is protected and the the bottle keeps out the elements.

Where do you mount your battery pack?-470784_3145144990666_1283485670_o.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2