mtbr member

Where can I get lights with yellow lens or reflector?

Like you see in cars or motorcycles that have yelloe fog lights. I want to use two head lights, one clear and one yellow, but I cannot seem to find lights that have either a yellow lens or reflector. Why don't they make that? Some sport bikes have that set-up. Looks kinda cool. I figure I could rig something up to have one light have yellow light but what should I use?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Check out the DiNotte Lighting website or call Rob at 603-929-0123, I believe they offer amber as well as clear lights. I am very happy with my Dinotte lights I use clear in my front light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yep. Dinotte.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    Like you see in cars or motorcycles that have yelloe fog lights. I want to use two head lights, one clear and one yellow, but I cannot seem to find lights that have either a yellow lens or reflector. Why don't they make that? Some sport bikes have that set-up. Looks kinda cool. I figure I could rig something up to have one light have yellow light but what should I use?
    I thought the same thing....
    My headlights have the option of running with or without the yellow filter lens. I like this option for running yellow flashing during the day, and then just remove the filter (one screw) for standard white nighttime use. Of course, running two lights with one dedicated yellow is certainly an option, but I also wanted to provide a yellow option for those that only wanted to use one headlight.

Here's a picture showing a daytime comparison between the original magicshine and the DS-1300 with the yellow filter, off-angle (both lights on highest power setting).

Full video review on YouTube shows the installation of the filter. If you want to just skip to the filter install, it's at 5:30.

Hope to have some more available by late Jan. Other than this, Dinotte is the only other game in town for yellow. I can also build a custom version with all yellow emitters if there was desire for one. If so inclined, you could probably also cut a yellow filter for the magicshine, but the output would be a bit less for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where can I get lights with yellow lens or reflector?-daytime_ms_vs_ds_yellow.jpg  

mtbr member
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it still pertains to the subject of yellow lights.

Are there any yellow overhead projector sheets or something of that nature that can be used as a primitive lens cover? I'd much rather do that on my existing light setup than to buy another set of headlights with a yellow lens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it still pertains to the subject of yellow lights.

Are there any yellow overhead projector sheets or something of that nature that can be used as a primitive lens cover? I'd much rather do that on my existing light setup than to buy another set of headlights with a yellow lens.
    In the picture above, I'm using 1/8" thick clear yellow acrylic. Works well. Readily available on-line. Google "clear yellow acrylic sheet."

Cru Jonesin'
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post

Here are some yellow lens protectors that are self adhesive. They would need to be trimmed to fit but once placed on the lens they will not only change the light color but they will protect the lens from damage.
    "Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. " ~ H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You can get laminates from Lamin-X or RockBlocker which are used in automotive applications. Just find the smallest (cheapest) ones you can and cut to fit.

For anyone wondering about the theory behind it, this guy has a good writeup, I bought a set of Cibie foglights for my car from him:

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

dumb ass
    Baby seal walks into a club.