mtbr member

What's your backup light?

What do you use for a backup light in the event your main lighting system fails? My battery died on me the other ride, and all I had was a Knog Frog blinky. It was grossly inadequate, but still better than pitch dark! I'm going to get a twofish lockblock and start taking my Fenix LD12 AA flashlight along.

mtbr member

I carry two cheap red blinkies in my rack bag in the event that my two Serfas crap out. I'm also never without a walmart 150 LM flashlight and my 450 LM SureFire. It would suck having to hold one while pedaling home, but it's an event which requires necessity, not luxury.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I see no reasons to carry dedicated backup light on my rides. On MTB, I use at least two lights with separate batteries and wires, plus helmet torch with its own battery - so, it's unlikely for them to fail or exhaust the power simultaneously...

mtbr member
    Like many here I use two headlights every time I go out. One helmet and one on the bars so that they are each a backup for the other. I guess if both my headlights failed and I was desperate, I would attach my cygolite hotshot to the bars for at least enough light to get out home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I as well use two separate systems of very good quality and is about as likely for both to fail on the same ride as hell freezing over. But never say never, I also have a 4-Sevens Mini123 torch which is more than enough light in case IT!! happens.

mtbr member
    I use either...

Lezyne mini drive. 5 hrs on low (10 if I bring a spare battery).
    https://www.lezyne.com/en/mini-drive-xl

Magicshine 838... gets through a night no problem with a 4 cell battery.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I use a dynamo light on my commuter bike, so I don't have any problems there.

On my road bike, I have a Dinotte tail light (140L?) that I could use as a front light as it's bright enough.

If I was looking for a backup light, and a dynamo wasn't an option, it would then depend on if I was leaving it permanently attached to the bars. If I was carrying it in a bag, I'd want something cheap and fairly small, the Dinotte 200L+ is the smallest (decent) from light I know of -
    DiNotte 200L Plus AA headlight ? DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Small, simple, easy to store Blackburn Super Flea.

Trailhead Poseur
    Like others, I don't carry a dedicated backup light because I run separate handlebar and helmet lights and it's highly unlikely that both would fail simultaneously.

However, the question does have me thinking. I have a Petzl E+Lite, a small LED headlamp that I use for running. On it's own it's totally inadequate to use as a cycling light (maybe ~20 lumens, I'm guessing), but it's tiny and only weighs like an ounce. It would disappear in a Camelbak and be better than nothing to get back to the trailhead in an emergency. I ought to toss it in my pack just in case.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    I have an 18650 XML flashlight/torch with a cheap handlebar mount that stays in my Camelbak.

Light freak
    I am running seperate set-ups of my Amoeba lights on the bars and helmet so not worried about catastrophic failure of both set-ups. I also carry a spare lighthead and battery in my Camelbak as they are so small. I have had to "bail out" a handful of riders that had light/battery failures while riding - great advertisement!

I also carry this little gem with me everywhere I go (EDC- Every Day Carry). It is always fun to see someones reaction when you turn it on and then throw it to them

What's your backup light?-amoeba-9v.jpg

mtbr member
    None. Always have ridden with two lights so don't need a backup.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Ever since the introduction of the LED's capable of putting out 200 plus lumen I have always carried a good LED torch for back-up and have it mounted on the bars. My favorite right now is my Yezl Z1X. It is using only 3 modes ( L-M-H ) ( no flash ) uses the XM-L (T-6 ) and is an 18650 cell torch but the smallest form factor available. The only fault I find with it is that the LED has a bluish tint. I'd rather have a totally white beam tint but the torch works fine so I continue to use it. Sooner or later the manufacturers of the Yezl will use one of the U-bin emitters and when that happens I'll probably buy one of those.

mtbr member

Re: What's your backup light?

Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    I also carry this little gem with me everywhere I go (EDC- Every Day Carry). It is always fun to see someones reaction when you turn it on and then throw it to them

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amoeba 9V.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	846830

What is that, and where can I get one?!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    Just click on the Amoeba blog^, on the top right corner is where you can inquire.

Light freak
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post

Hey Texan-n-Fla, that is one of my Amoeba light heads powered by a 9V battery. This was a picture of the original build. I have since upgraded it with Cree XM-L's and Ledil Regina reflectors.

I have been doing custom "built-to-order" lights for 6 years now, shoot me an email (see my signature) and I can forward you some info.

I am a "junkie" for these light forums. I have read about your search for a bike light and purchase as well as your current situation. I am pretty sure it would be hard for you to justify purchasing a light from me but I would still love to tell you my story and about my passion for biking in the dark.

Thanks indebt, for helping out!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Hey Texan-n-Fla, that is one of my Amoeba light heads powered by a 9V battery. This was a picture of the original build. I have since upgraded it with Cree XM-L's and Ledil Regina reflectors.

I have been doing custom "built-to-order" lights for 6 years now, shoot me an email (see my signature) and I can forward you some info.

I am a "junkie" for these light forums. I have read about your search for a bike light and purchase as well as your current situation. I am pretty sure it would be hard for you to justify purchasing a light from me but I would still love to tell you my story and about my passion for biking in the dark.

Thanks indebt, for helping out!

Expect an email this weekend. Simply because we pinch pennies doesn't mean that expensive things don't come our way every now and again

Our finances are tight, not completely inflexible. We choose to spend money on necessities and memories, with the luxuries taking a back seat. But, that jolly old man in a red suit is coming this way, and I'm pretty sure I've behaved myself. For the most part. Relatively speaking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I carry a 100ish lumen single AA light from amazon or a 200 lumen 3AAA flashlight from Costco. They were $3-6 and could get me out of the forest if my others failed.
    Titus X Carbon
    Schwinn Prologue
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX