Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    i judge the quality of a connector by the snap / pop it makes when connecting and disconnecting.
    yeah, h'okay. very objective.

if the industry adopted the Dinotte connector as standard that would be awesome. it is the perfect connector IMO.

Dinotte also includes an extension cable with their lights, so i'm sure you could order some extension cables from them if you wanted to make some DIY lights.
    Dinotte connectors are also 5.5x2.1mm dc connectors.

See here.

Magicshine Light/Dinotte battery

mtbr member
    May 2005
    but the 6 cell makes only a gentle pop, which means the water seal isn't as tight.
    This may be true for the L&M connector but should not be applied to connectors in general. There are many IP67 rated connectors that screw or slide together and use an o-ring in compression to seal. They do not "pop" at all yet are immersion rated to 1 meter.

bikerpilot
    Can anyone confirm if the magicshine plug will match a NiteRider Mini 350 usb? Could I use this extension cord for my Mini 350 USB? Amazon.com: MagicShine Helmet Mount Kit: Sports & Outdoors
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

Action LED Lights
    The 5.5mm x 2.1mm connector that Magicshine uses is the most common in use for bike lights. However there are several very similar sizes in use.
    5.5mm x 2.5mm is also common and the plug will go together with the 2.1mm socket though the connection will be loose. Many low budget clones use this size. Visually it's hard to tell them apart.
    There is also a 5.5mm x 1.5mm, 5.5mm x 2.8mm, 5.5mm x 3mm, 5.5mm x 3.3mm, and 5.5mm x 3.8mm.
    There is a ridiculous list of similar plugs that are only slightly different from each other.

To get connectors, buying a Y-cable will get you 2 sockets and 1 plug.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

bikerpilot
    For the record, the Magicshine extension cord doesn't work with a Niterider Minewt Mini 350 USB. The plug on the Niterider is longer than that on the Magicshine, so the Niterider male plug works with the Magicshine female, but it seems that the Magicshine male plug is too short to fully engage with the female receptacle in the Niterider battery. I didn't see any lengths other than 5.5mm in the list above though. Perhaps I could cut the rubber back on the Magicshine male plug to make it longer so it would engage with the Niterider?
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

Action LED Lights
    5.5mm is the outside diameter, 2.1 is the pin diameter
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm hoping this thread or another one stays alive and gets updated. I bought a Niterider last night and was not exactly thrilled when I got home and saw it uses a proprietary connector. I thought things like that were relics from the past. It's a good light, but I refuse to be held hostage by a mfr that sells a replacement battery for $150. I'm not going to screw with lithium batteries, I want a high quality aftermarket pack like Hunk Lee sells. I refuse to even consider touching a soldering iron to something that can overheat and blow up in my face.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm just about to pull the trigger on a backup light to my magicshine mj-872: SingFire SF-607 2 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm Cool White 4-Mode Bicycle Flashlight - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Reading this thread it seems that these batteries and extension cables should be compatible. Anyone have any experience with pairing Singfire and magicshine batteries and lights?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2