mtbr member
    Mar 2008

What light - mainly commute (not always on well lit roads) but want good for most thi

Hi all,
    I commute daily and winter is starting to come (in Australia). It'll be dark when I ride home.
    I commute around an hour when I take the long route and its on poorly lit roads and sometimes not lit at all through parks,etc.
    I've had 'they can see me' type lights plenty but now I want to get something that lights up my road for my clearly and lets me see clearly.

I've loved Ay-Up's for like 5yrs because they look so small, compact and good but I noticed they aren't in the 2014 shootout for some reason so no way to compare to anything else that is.

I read the review of the Gloworm x1 which also sounds and looks like a pretty impressive good light.

They're both obviously a bit on the expensive side and I'm sure there are other alternatives out there. I'm not really a huge fan of the torch shape/style ones as they always tend to move on me.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on these two compared to each other? Depending on where I get it from, the Gloworm can work out a bit cheaper and still sounds pretty good.

Open to other suggestions as well. Obviously dont need anything stronger than these or more expensive.

Thanks

(Sorry for another light thread, just dont see much reference to Ayup recently in here).

mtbr member
    Several lights will meet your needs. Price range?

Action leds will have the light you are looking for. Maybe send him an email or PM.

He has a clearance 2013 duo set for 150$.
    Action-LED-Lights — 2013 Gemini DUO LED light System (Demo)

I just bought my first gloworm light and was very impressed. I also own a few gemini lights that work well.
    Last edited by Gharddog03; 03-18-2014 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the link. Great looking set of lights and a seriously good price for a pair barely used.
    So good in fact I bought them

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nila View Post
    Thanks for the link. Great looking set of lights and a seriously good price for a pair barely used.
    So good in fact I bought them

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I ride a lot of parks, paths, and trails myself. A couple of years ago I bought a dynamo light because it was the only way to get a good "shaped" beam. It's been fantastic - the shaped beam (like a car headlight) doesn't get in the face of oncoming bikers.

But more importantly - it doesn't negatively affect my night vision much outside of what the light is lighting up like every other light I've ever used does.

For commuting, a dynamo light is fantastic - no batteries to recharge (it's happened to me), no batteries to get old and run out in the middle of your ride (happened to me to), no batteries to accidentally leave plugged into something and find out their dead when you go to use them (happened to me), no batteries to just run out because your ride was long, and since it's attached to your bike - no light to leave at home then wish you have brought it with you.

The main drawback of a dynamo light is it's upfront cost - $250-$350 (you need both the light, and a front dynamo wheel). The Lumotec Cyo Premium would be the light I would recommend.

If you (understandably) don't want to spend that kind of money, they make a battery power version as well -
    Busch&Muller battery powered bicycle lights

Ixon IQ Premium without batteries and charger, 80 lux, Part # B&M1922QM, Price: $ 118.00
    Ixon IQ Premium with AA batteries and charger, 80 lux, Part # B&M1922QMLA, Price: $ 155.00

P.S. I've read good things about the Light and Motion Urban 550 as well, though it's not a shaped beam and I personally prefer a shaped beam -
    Amazon.com: Light and Motion Urban 550 Lumens Bike Light (Quartz): Sports & Outdoors

P.S. Here's a youtube video where someone compares the new Ixon IQ (the Premium model) to the old one -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVaz3SHW__0

It has beamshots, etc, though like the mtbr beamshot be aware they usually look somewhat brighter in a pic than they do in real life.

mtbr member
    I used to commute 26mi every day (13mi each way). The return trip would be in the dark, and on some really dark roads. At first I had a CygoLite 400lm handlebar mounted light, but it wasn't enough, so I also purchased a Serfas 1500 - it's amazing.

For a long time I road with ther Serfas 1500 on my handlebars, and the 400lm CygoLite on my helmet. It was the perfect setup.

If you don't want to purchase two lights, I would definitely recommend the Serfas 1500 as a starting point because it has a very good amount of flood to see the side of the road, as well as pretty far throw so you can see what's in front of you.

For biking on dark roads I wouldn't use anything less than 1500lm, so the Serfas light is a great option, but Fenix (a very nice flashlight company) sells 750lm lights, and mounting two of those on your handlebars would be pretty nice, as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That's one beasty looking light.
    The Action 1200 light that I purchased is in similar levels to the one you mentioned except it is significantly smaller (its tiny!).
    I've tested it and it illuminates the whole world pretty much so should do me just fine

I actually used the custom program functionality of it (awesome feature) to set:

Low = 10%
    Medium = 30%
    High = 100%

It's so bright I figure I can do most of my usage in Low or Medium and thereby make the battery last far longer. When I need more I can jump it up to full power to flood light the world

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nila View Post
    That's one beasty looking light.
    The Action 1200 light that I purchased is in similar levels to the one you mentioned except it is significantly smaller (its tiny!).
    I've tested it and it illuminates the whole world pretty much so should do me just fine

I actually used the custom program functionality of it (awesome feature) to set:

Low = 10%
    Medium = 30%
    High = 100%

It's so bright I figure I can do most of my usage in Low or Medium and thereby make the battery last far longer. When I need more I can jump it up to full power to flood light the world
    It's always nice to have a light you love!