Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

What is this? (Jet battery related)

As I began to investigate the possibility of further overvolting my Jet Phantom 20W from the factory 13.2V to 14.4V, I was pleased to see there was room to squeeze in another "A" cell and retain the original plastic enclosure for the battery pack. But before I proceed, I'm wondering what that little cyclindrical item in the picture is, and if it's gonna interfere with my plans. I'm new at this (only built one Dinotte-style thus far; now I'm hooked!), so please forgive my ignorance. Does it protect against excessive voltage? temperature? current draw? And if anyone else has done this mod, I'm certainly open to other feedback. And yeah, I know I may be replacing bulbs frequently. If it's too bad, I can always revert. Thanks,
    - Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What are the texts on it?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    MICROTEMP
    K(?)KBCA
    G4A00

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_c
    What are the texts on it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hello
    this component resembles a thermal fuse (ce composant ressemble un fusible thermique)
    thermal fuse

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    yes, that is definately a thermal fuse. It has a wax plug inside that melts at a certain temperature and a spring loaded switch that opens when the wax melts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I think you're right Lejack, It is a thermal fuse.

This is Li-ion battery. It can explose in case of exessif temperature. So this fuse will prevent...
    (Bien venu Jac Ca fait plaisir : d'un coup, j'me sens moins seul )

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys! Looks like I'm good to go, so long as I'm careful not to heat the fuse while I'm soldering in the extra cell.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.