Linoleum Knife

What happened to the L&M Arc?

I was just at their website, and the ARC is not in their list of products anymore. Just a bunch of LED offerings.

Anyone know? That light rocks...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My guess would be that they saw the light.

From the L&M blog site

It's been an exciting year at Light & Motion. After Interbike last year, we had a decision to make. We knew that we would be launching a few new LED products for 2008. But fully committing to LED for the entire product line—that decision had not been reached yet. From a technology standpoint, we knew that LED was ready. We'd been testing them for the last few seasons, waiting for their power to increase. And as of late last year, it had reached a point where it was ready for primetime. The question in our minds was whether or not we could conceive, design, test and produce a COMPLETELY new line of lights. In one year. No old models to fall back on, nothing carrying over. It was a daunting decision, but we made it. And looking back, it was the correct one.

Several years ago, I was listening to a lecture (unfortunately I can't remember who was speaking). I remember the speaker saying to the assembled group, "You have to keep pushing forward when it comes to product development. If you're standing still, you're going backwards." The quote has stuck with me. Our development team has made that philosophy it's mantra for the past year. I applaud that team, as well as our production team, for getting us through the process and for helping us come out the other side with a product line that isn't just all new, but pushes the boundaries of the latest technology as well.

--Daniel @ Light & Motion
    Last edited by odtexas; 02-19-2009 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Discontinued the old HID technology. LED is the way to go.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    That would explain why they keep showing up on Chainlove for <$300. Luckily for me and my wallet, I'm happy with the light combo I've got at present.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

jrm
    mtbr member

I have one

7 years old so its like it doesnt owe me anything. I've replaced the charger since then. love the light quality, but the replacement costs are pathetic. im holding on to it but purchased a entire 600L LED system for the cost of a replacement ARC battery.

"Mr. Britannica"
    the future is now

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hmmm... let's see...

Breakable bulb with limited on/off cycles, dims over time and has blueish light, costs $100 for a replacement when it eventually burns out and has limited dimming capability

vs.

Brighter lights, solid state, no breaking or burning out, whiter light, lighter, unlimited dimming and on/off cycles.

Gee, I wonder why they don't sell the HID Arc anymore!?

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme Moore
    Hmmm... let's see...

Breakable bulb with limited on/off cycles, dims over time and has blueish light, costs $100 for a replacement when it eventually burns out and has limited dimming capability

vs.

Brighter lights, solid state, no breaking or burning out, whiter light, lighter, unlimited dimming and on/off cycles.

Gee, I wonder why they don't sell the HID Arc anymore!?
    Thanks - that was a highly informative post.

Even with the hint of jackass.