Sweat is just fat crying.

What to do with old lights and batteries?

I've got a box full of old old old NiteRider lights and batteries. They would wear out & I would just buy a new system. *sigh* Those were the days. I know I can take the batteries to a recycling center (or if you have a better idea, that's great), but is there anything useful I can do with the head units?

Thanks.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A lot of people swap out the mr11 bulb or whaever they come with and put in some simple off the shelf led bulbs to use as commuter lights. Im not sure if those were 12 volt systems but I think they were. Shouldn't be hard or expensive and may be a fun project. If not there are probably a lot of guys here who would love them as a project

Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    A lot of people swap out the mr11 bulb or whaever they come with and put in some simple off the shelf led bulbs to use as commuter lights. Im not sure if those were 12 volt systems but I think they were. Shouldn't be hard or expensive and may be a fun project. If not there are probably a lot of guys here who would love them as a project
    So you're saying to use the old batteries? Not sure this would be an attractive option as these batteries are pretty big, and most of them, if I remember correctly, don't hold a charge.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Guys in the Lighting DIY area would know. I had the same system, long and short of it...insanely obsolete. II finally bought a modern setup and was blown away by how much better they are. WAy lighter, way brighter, more settings. Get yourself a Gemini and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    Guys in the Lighting DIY area would know. I had the same system, long and short of it...insanely obsolete. II finally bought a modern setup and was blown away by how much better they are. WAy lighter, way brighter, more settings. Get yourself a Gemini and don't look back.
    Oh, yeah. Derr, I should have posted there, I guess.

I have a light a friend gave me, post is here: Ravx Lights??? - Mtbr Forums

Saw your post in NorCal about the ride today. Cool!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My riding partner has that light. Its pretty decent.

One Gear
    Please don't throw the giant lead acid batteries in the trash. It shouldn't be that hard to find a retailer that recycles old batteries.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by .40AET View Post
    Please don't throw the giant lead acid batteries in the trash. It shouldn't be that hard to find a retailer that recycles old batteries.

Thanks!
    Didja miss this part? I know I can take the batteries to a recycling center...

But, yeah- there's no way I would just throw them out. I recycle ALL my batteries, even my dinky little hearing aid batts.

One Gear
    Yup....missed that part, sorry.

I also had a box of Niterider heads from an old shop. I was going to try to convert them to LED. Turns out they didn't have enough metal inside to sink the heat. I gave away all of the extra cords and any useful parts.Seems a waste, but the heads went into the trash.

mtbr member
    Years ago there were threads on trying to convert old halogen bike lights to LED. The old Niterider halogen heads were made out of some kind of thermoplastic I believe. Not really good for using with LED. Marwi on the other hand had aluminum light heads. Those, people used to mess around with. You can still buy kits for converting Marwi's to LED if you know where to look.

When the MagicShine lights were first introduced ( many years ago ) that stopped a lot of people from trying to mod their own lights. While the early version of the 808 was cheap and had some problems people still bought them in droves.

Nowadays you can buy a cheap generic single XM-L lamp for less than $40 and have a complete system or buy any number of the hundreds of cheap Chinese made torches and use those. Today, anyone wanting to try their hand at night riding doesn't have to spend more than $100 for a two lamp system ( bar and helmet ) if they don't want to break the bank.

I still remember the first time I saw the output of a cheap Chinese made P-7 torch.
    I couldn't believe how bright it was and how it blew all my halogens away. For the price ( about $25 at the time ) it was a really great deal. Today you have even better options and much better Bang for the buck.