Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 742
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    22

    What Deal Extreme Torches do you like?

    I'd like to get a little discussion going about what people like torch-wise from Deal Extreme. I bought 4 of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14027 a few years ago, and my son has managed to lose a couple while camping. These are good, but have very little flood (good helmet spot light) - I'm looking for a light the same size that has more flood. What have you got from DX and like?

    I do have a magicshine for the bars, but would like one more light (or a couple) to play with for the other side of the bars and helmet.

    What DX SKU do you like and recommend?

    TIA

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    25
    I have the Aurora AK-P7-5 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16091. It almost two years old and hasn't given me any problems. It's 3-4x brighter than your current flashlight but it's also double the cost. For $35 it's an awesome deal.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    34
    I'm interested in hearing the responses to this question as well so if there are any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

  4. #4
    Lumen warrior
    Reputation: XC707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    48
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18623

    heres mine, got 2 of these torches, modified it to be helmet mounted, i just used the lighthead, soldered a positive and negative wire and seal everything with silicone sealant and a plastic cap and used the clickie switch inline, i used an 11.1v 2500mah lipoly battery stored in my backpack. its very nice to use it on the helmet since it has a lot of throw. and it has a white cold q5 cree xr-e, it appears brighter even if its rated at only 400 lumens.
    http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e.../Image0274.jpg

    im using 2 ms900 on the bars and this torch on the helmet. very nice combination. my buddies say im too bright for the streets.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    54
    I have a couple of MTE SF-15 lights.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567
    Had two of them on my bars this past winter for downhill sections and used a Magicshine light for the climbs. These lights will burn about 1 hour on high. Both lights worked fine all winter. Very happy with this light and it's very bright.

    I also have a TR-801 on my helmet.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095
    This light will burn for about 90 minutes. Had one of these die on me last year. Cheaper to buy a new one than to fix it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTR2ebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrengee
    I have the Aurora AK-P7-5 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16091. It almost two years old and hasn't given me any problems. It's 3-4x brighter than your current flashlight but it's also double the cost. For $35 it's an awesome deal.
    I am interested in this light, it comes with a battery charger correct?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    520

    No charger

    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    I am interested in this light, it comes with a battery charger correct?
    No charger, no battery, purchase separately.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTR2ebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,872
    Do you remember how much the total came to with shipping?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTR2ebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,872
    Do you remember how much the total was with shipping?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    I use the MS on my helmet, and I run one or two of these on my bars.

    However, I'm switching to these.

    The ones from DX use 3 AAA batteries and last about an hour before they start to dim. So sometimes I will change batteries mid-ride which is a pain to do in the dark, on the trail.

    I think the ones from QualityChinaGoods will not only be brighter (Q5 compared to P4's), but will be a lot easier to change the single 18650 battery if need be.

    I'll post my review of these when they get here and I get to use them on a night ride.

    Oh, and I also have one of the Trustfire TR-801's from DX. I unthreaded the head about 2 turns and put a piece of electrical tape around the head to keep it from turning anymore. This takes the spot light and spreads it out a bit to be more floody.

    I use this one as a loaner to people that don't have lights.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,003
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    Do you remember how much the total came to with shipping?
    Dealextreme's prices include international shipping to any location.

    Tim

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by GSR101
    I'd like to get a little discussion going about what people like torch-wise from Deal Extreme. I bought 4 of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14027 a few years ago, and my son has managed to lose a couple while camping. These are good, but have very little flood (good helmet spot light) - I'm looking for a light the same size that has more flood. What have you got from DX and like?

    I do have a magicshine for the bars, but would like one more light (or a couple) to play with for the other side of the bars and helmet.

    What DX SKU do you like and recommend?

    TIA
    In keeping with the original request: Since you already have a couple torches that use drop-ins, this is my suggestion. Buy a couple XP-G R-5 drop-ins. This is the one I use and suggest > http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...roductId=10064
    It is listed as 4.2volts max which is what you want if you are running single 18650's. It comes with a reflector that is a little too tight for MTB'in ( IMO ) BUT...if you exchange the reflector and use the one from your Q-5 XR-E drop-in, you will get a more usable beam pattern. The same applies if you wish to use it as a bar light.

    Personally I have a couple nice true MTB light sets but a lot of time I choose the lite-weight / convenience of torches. My favorite bar torch to date is this one > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060
    I use it with this torch holder > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15342
    This P-7 torch is the best one I have. It works flawlessly,has a nice wide spill and lots of throw. Comes on in mid-mode, then low, then high, then the flash modes. There is no memory but this is a mixed blessing. All you have to do is turn it off and it comes back on in mid-mode so no need to cycle through the stupid flash modes. It will run for more than three hours in mid-mode which is a very usable setting. Even the low mode is only slightly dimmer than mid-mode and can be considered usable as well. With my sku12060 on the bars and my XP-G drop-in with XRE reflector on the helmet, I have no problem seeing anything. So far I'm doing my typical 2hr rides and still haven't yet needed to switch out a battery ( even though I always carry a spare just in case ) Anyway, out of the 8 or so torches I own these are the ones I use most.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    I am interested in this light, it comes with a battery charger correct?
    Unfortunately it doesn't come with the charger. The charger is only $5 though.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    34
    I'm curious on how long the MTE P7 or Aurora P7 torch will run on high?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by punkaccountant
    I'm curious on how long the MTE P7 or Aurora P7 torch will run on high?
    60 minutes or less from what I've read on here.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by GSR101
    60 minutes or less from what I've read on here.
    Just so everyone understands....Yes, that is right, the torch begins to noticeably dim around 50min but remains near the high output level for near 60min. After that the torch will continue to run maybe another 20-30min at diminished output levels ( depending on how old your batteries are ). Usually I will switch batteries ( takes about 30sec. ) if/when the output drops below the lowest level....UNLESS...I know I will need the higher output then I will/would switch out much sooner. Nevertheless, since I run the mid-level most of time for the bars, I've yet to run a battery out while on a ride. That goes for the helmet torch as well, I only use the high setting when I really need it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    520

    P7-D MTE flashlight

    I am very happy so far with this flashlight:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22569
    I use the following bar mount for it:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.31871
    I found this info on mtbr.com , I think it was in the DIY lights forum

    Cat-man-do, do you find that the torch mount (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15342) is secure, not allowing the torch to rattle around on the trail?

    DX also has a more expensive Fenix mount:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13004
    see attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Deal Extreme Torches do you like?-sku_13004_1.jpg  

    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman
    I

    Cat-man-do, do you find that the torch mount (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15342) is secure, not allowing the torch to rattle around on the trail?
    Yes, it is very secure. It uses a cam-type buckle for both the bar mount and the torch mount. It takes a little getting used to to find the right adjustment for the torch but once you're dialed in everything is very secure. The bar buckle is almost exactly like the bar mount for the Dinotte 600L....quick release is the best way to go. The base of the mount is designed to swivel a bit, which I don't like but other than that it is a nice mount. I just tape up the swivel so it doesn't move and I'm good. I liked it so much I bought a spare...just in case it breaks or something. I've used it more than a year now without a problem.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,867
    So why not another MS900 or it's bigger brother the 1400? Seems like the 1400 on the bars and the 900 on the helmet would be a wicked combo. I guess it would be significantly more expensive than a couple of DX lights, if low $$$ is what you're after.

    "Got everything you need?"

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    So why not another MS900 or it's bigger brother the 1400? Seems like the 1400 on the bars and the 900 on the helmet would be a wicked combo. I guess it would be significantly more expensive than a couple of DX lights, if low $$$ is what you're after.

    After 2+ years of lights attached to my bike, i have now gone for this combo, the Ms1400 mount is a bit feable for this light over proper off road terrain so had to do my Electron mount upgrade! I have a 5 mode Geoman MS900 on my helmet.

    Never need more light i tend to use the front light with just the two R2's on full for most riding as it gives a nice broad beam.

    I do sometimes pop a R5/SST-50 on bars too, too give a bit more punch into the night with only a little extra weight up there!

    TBH i have probably spent the same amount of money on light as if id ove bought a Betty! But now have a load of spare torches batteries etc and have kitted out 4 people so far with my GF plannig on using my SF-15 on bars and the R5 on her helmet for the upcoming season! (i go out late just to use my lights (and the trails are empty) while its light at night)


    Quote Originally Posted by GOATMAN
    Cat-man-do, do you find that the torch mount (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15342) is secure, not allowing the torch to rattle around on the trail?
    click on the link in my sig if you want to make proper style mount for yoyr torches, will update with my current ones which are even better soon!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    520
    I just ordered an MTE SF-15 off DX as they are a little smaller/more compact than my current SF-23 with a similar light output.
    Moggy82 can you elaborate on what lights these are that you mentioned:
    "Never need more light i tend to use the front light with just the two R2's on full for most riding as it gives a nice broad beam."
    Pardon my ignorance!

    Thanks for the informative link!

    I run a Magicshine 900lumen on my helmet as well.
    Last edited by goatman; 07-16-2010 at 01:42 AM.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman
    I just ordered an MTE SF-15 off DX as they are a little smaller/more compact than my current SF-23 with a similar light output.
    Moggy82 can you elaborate on what lights these are that you mentioned:
    "Never need more light i tend to use the front light with just the two R2's on full for most riding as it gives a nice broad beam."
    Pardon my ignorance!

    Thanks for the informative link!

    I run a Magicshine 900lumen on my helmet as well.
    That is refferring to the MS1400, the two small ligts on the sides!

    You wont regret the SF-15 as long as you get a genuine one, there are copies which are much larger floating about! My one had no memory mode so came straight on at full, then one half click to med mode, the other modes never got used!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy82
    You wont regret the SF-15 as long as you get a genuine one, there are copies which are much larger floating about! My one had no memory mode so came straight on at full, then one half click to med mode, the other modes never got used!
    Excuse my ignorance but is most of the Deal Extreme stuff fake or do they sell from the genuine manufacturers? How can they sell a product labeled as an Aurora or MTE if it wasn't made by that company?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    64

    Ditto

    Quote Originally Posted by qdave
    I have a couple of MTE SF-15 lights.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567
    Had two of them on my bars this past winter for downhill sections and used a Magicshine light for the climbs. These lights will burn about 1 hour on high. Both lights worked fine all winter. Very happy with this light and it's very bright.

    I also have a TR-801 on my helmet.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095
    This light will burn for about 90 minutes. Had one of these die on me last year. Cheaper to buy a new one than to fix it.
    Copy cat. I have the 5 mode MTE. My ride is 35-40 minutes and I recharge batteries after two rides. The MTE on the bars is floody, the TR-801 on the helmet is throwy. This is my first helmet light and I really like having a helmet light.

    I use sku.12000 for helmet mount and sku.15642 for the bars. The bar mount is rock solid but cumbersome to remove the flashlight. I've just ordered sku.8274, which is hidden in Flashlight Accessories!

    I've also ordered the fake PBSF sku.35036 to attach to the back of my helmet.

    I'm happy with these flashlights. They are relatively small while still delivering a good amount of light. The 2 battery flashlights are just too long for my tastes.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    64

    Not fakes

    Quote Originally Posted by punkaccountant
    Excuse my ignorance but is most of the Deal Extreme stuff fake or do they sell from the genuine manufacturers? How can they sell a product labeled as an Aurora or MTE if it wasn't made by that company?
    These flashlights are made by the listed manufacturers. But the knock off brands are cheap imitations of quality name brand flashlights like Surefire, Fenix, Jetbeam. The quality of these lights is hit or miss. Many people call DX products Junkfire. I like all of my Junkfire lights! If I ruin them in the rain or if I crash, I can afford to replace them. And as Catmandoo has pointed out, if you buy P60 style lights, you can upgrade the pill as new emitters come out.

    I have to admit, though, that the Dinotte and other name brand bike lights look very fashionable. And I've never seen anyone complain about quality; they are all well made lights.

    What you choose is personal preference.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    520

    Bar mount modifications

    LiveFreeThenDie said:
    I've just ordered sku.8274, which is hidden in Flashlight Accessories!

    Have a look at this thread:

    Handlebar mount suggestions for torches
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by GSR101
    I'd like to get a little discussion going about what people like torch-wise from Deal Extreme. I bought 4 of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14027 a few years ago, and my son has managed to lose a couple while camping. These are good, but have very little flood (good helmet spot light) - I'm looking for a light the same size that has more flood. What have you got from DX and like?

    I do have a magicshine for the bars, but would like one more light (or a couple) to play with for the other side of the bars and helmet.

    What DX SKU do you like and recommend?

    TIA

    Ok guys this thread shuldn't mutate to another magicshine discussion!!

    Back to GSR101 question:
    Based upon your existing 4 (or now less ) DX lights this Skyray Light is what you are searching for (my guess )
    It gives you a bit more flood, thus with a reasonable throw, you can use your existing batteries and charger and it is the same size! Buuuuut it kicks out a lot mor lumen and unses the latest led technology........

    Ok, that was my input

    Ok, one last thing to mention though:
    As catmando already suggested - just to replace the drop in is also a cheap and well working solution! You only need a light for that (hopefully your son hasn't lost all your lights)
    Last edited by Whitedog1; 07-26-2010 at 05:20 AM.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: znomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1
    Based upon your existing 4 (or now less ) DX lights this Skyray Light is what you are searching for (my guess )
    ..... uses the latest led technology........
    Actually it uses tomorrows technology. XPE R4, not released yet.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Actually it uses tomorrows technology. XPE R4, not released yet.
    yes you are right: DX shows a false description!

    If you look at the reviews and the forum discussions.......it seems to be an XPG R5

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    691
    Fenix LD20s.

    IMO are among some of the best AA flashlights out there albeit pricey. The ones listed on DealExtreme are the older Cree Q5 XR-E versions (180 lumens).

    The latest out right now are the XP-G R4 models with slightly higher lumen output (205 lumens) and similar run times (unfortunately not offered by DX yet).

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19190

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman
    I just ordered an MTE SF-15 off DX as they are a little smaller/more compact than my current SF-23 with a similar light output.
    [.
    Goatman, did you get your MTE from DX yet? It's this one right? If so, first impressions?

    I'm thinking about getting the same one (I like that it's shorter then a lot of the other P7's).
    It would be for my bars while my MS900 is on my helmet.

    Since I already have 18650 batteries around, it seems like a good alternative to getting another complete MS, and it's only about 1/3 of the price.

    Any feedback (from anyone) on sku 22567 is appreciated.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Goatman, did you get your MTE from DX yet? It's this one right? If so, first impressions?

    I'm thinking about getting the same one (I like that it's shorter then a lot of the other P7's).
    It would be for my bars while my MS900 is on my helmet.

    Since I already have 18650 batteries around, it seems like a good alternative to getting another complete MS, and it's only about 1/3 of the price.

    Any feedback (from anyone) on sku 22567 is appreciated.
    Fightnut I am very impressed with the MTE-SF15 flashlight. (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567)
    It is just as bright as the longer & heavier MTE SF- 23 that I already own.
    I had to tighten the LED module and using needle nose pliers though, as it was a little loose. Actually went and tightened the switch assembly this morning as well, even though it was not really that loose, just that I like to have it seated tightly. (No fun trying to sort out a flickering or dead flashlight out on the trail at night.)
    The size is ideal for a handlebar torch.
    I did a test running MS 900 on my helmet and both MTE SF-23 and MTE SF-15 on the bars using the modified mounts sku.15342.
    I found that one flashlight provided enough flood for the area in front of my wheel.
    I would recommend the smaller MTE-SF15 as long as you check that everything is tight when you receive it. It would also be an option as a helmet flashlight.
    Build quality seems fine, the clicky type tailswitch works well.
    I don't want to run another MS on the bars as then I have to attach a battery pack to my frame. I carry some spare 18650 batteries in my Camelbak for the flashlight just in case.
    Last edited by goatman; 08-08-2010 at 03:48 AM. Reason: add a link
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Goatman, did you get your MTE from DX yet? It's this one right? If so, first impressions?

    I'm thinking about getting the same one (I like that it's shorter then a lot of the other P7's).
    It would be for my bars while my MS900 is on my helmet.

    Since I already have 18650 batteries around, it seems like a good alternative to getting another complete MS, and it's only about 1/3 of the price.

    Any feedback (from anyone) on sku 22567 is appreciated.
    I have that P7 and I like it. I don't really have anything to compare it to. The build quality isn't too bad. It doesn't get too hot while riding. It has been rock solid, no flakiness. It even remembers what mode it was in if you power cycle it. It's a perfect size for the handle bars.

    The light I got was well worth the money.

  34. #34
    fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Reputation: ilostmypassword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,161
    I've reviewed both the 900 & 1400 Lumen deal extreme lights. Blinking great for teh cash.

    Only reservation so far is their lack of water tightness.....and short cable shipped.

    from www.paulpetch.com on Vimeo.



    from www.paulpetch.com on Vimeo.


  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    182
    I use these.

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.05937



    M-CE m bin, $20, but switched the reflector (below) with a smooth one instead for some throw.

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.05937

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    Got my MTE SF-15 today and I'm kinda bummed. I'm having problems with it staying on.

    As soon as I got it, I stuck a fresh battery in, turned it on, came on high first and shut right off. Medium ad low stayed on, but high, strobe and sos would shut off.

    I took it apart, tightened down the switch and the pill (got maybe a 1/4 turn or less). Put it all back together and this time high/med/low seem to be staying on, but strobe and sos shut off after a second or two.

    If it stays that way, that's fine with me because I have no need to those two modes, but I can't help but be concerned that I could have future problems with high/med/low.

    Anyone else have an issue with this particular light?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,867
    So, for the people out there that have the MTE SF-15, is it a good deal? I'm thinking getting these items from DX:

    MTE SF-15 P7
    2-Pack Trustfire 2000mah 18650 batteries
    Battery Charger

    Total comes to $43, which seems like a good deal. Good list you think, or are there better products for about the same price?
    "Got everything you need?"

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Got my MTE SF-15 today and I'm kinda bummed. I'm having problems with it staying on.

    As soon as I got it, I stuck a fresh battery in, turned it on, came on high first and shut right off. Medium ad low stayed on, but high, strobe and sos would shut off.

    I took it apart, tightened down the switch and the pill (got maybe a 1/4 turn or less). Put it all back together and this time high/med/low seem to be staying on, but strobe and sos shut off after a second or two.

    If it stays that way, that's fine with me because I have no need to those two modes, but I can't help but be concerned that I could have future problems with high/med/low.

    Anyone else have an issue with this particular light?
    I ordered the 2 of those same lights and I'm waiting on them to arrive any day now. I'll let you know how they turn out. I'm not so excited now after hearing about your problems.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,734
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    So, for the people out there that have the MTE SF-15, is it a good deal? I'm thinking getting these items from DX:

    MTE SF-15 P7
    2-Pack Trustfire 2000mah 18650 batteries
    Battery Charger

    Total comes to $43, which seems like a good deal. Good list you think, or are there better products for about the same price?
    I bought the exact same thing as you, and I'm impressed with it. It's very powerful and lasts long enough, though for longer rides I need to change batteries. It's impossible to beat for the price.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Got my MTE SF-15 today and I'm kinda bummed. I'm having problems with it staying on.

    As soon as I got it, I stuck a fresh battery in, turned it on, came on high first and shut right off. Medium ad low stayed on, but high, strobe and sos would shut off.

    I took it apart, tightened down the switch and the pill (got maybe a 1/4 turn or less). Put it all back together and this time high/med/low seem to be staying on, but strobe and sos shut off after a second or two.

    If it stays that way, that's fine with me because I have no need to those two modes, but I can't help but be concerned that I could have future problems with high/med/low.

    Anyone else have an issue with this particular light?
    Sounds like you might have a bad driver. On the other hand this could be a blessing in disguise. Who really wants the flash modes anyway? As long as you have High-med-low you should be good. If you continue to have problems don't sit on it too long though. The shorter days are coming and there will likely be the usual rush for "All things light related" when the days get shorter. It would be prudent to ship it back before the mad rush is on for new lights. If it were me, I would just go ahead and order another one ( as long as you like the output..) and keep the other one as a back-up / lender / extra parts / or return later option. At least the one you have now works, for ever how long that may be.

    Let us know how things fair. I was thinking of ordering one of these myself to replace my clunky SF-23 which has one burnt out led die. For the time being I'm going to wait to see if others have the same problem with theirs as you did with yours before I decide to order.

    A quick little positive D/X story: Four weeks ago I ordered a nice little Q-5 5-mode mini torch for pocket duties. I also ordered two of the CRC123A rechargable Li-ion cells the torch works with ( only uses one cell at a time ). The bad news was the batteries I ordered were out of stock. The good news was that D/'X sent two other batteries ( Trustfire 880mAh Black and red/fire cells ) and told me they would send the others when they came in stock. I thought that was a nice touch by D/X. The torch works great and the batteries are great as well. Nothing like getting something for free to add some icing on the cake.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    520

    Troubleshooting link

    Here is a link for troubleshooting your flashlights:

    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=227518

    I found this on another thread on mtbr.com.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    So, for the people out there that have the MTE SF-15, is it a good deal? I'm thinking getting these items from DX:

    MTE SF-15 P7
    2-Pack Trustfire 2000mah 18650 batteries
    Battery Charger

    Total comes to $43, which seems like a good deal. Good list you think, or are there better products for about the same price?
    I use these batteries:

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26247

    2600 mAh

    Protected circuit, no problems yet.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    Update/review of my MTE SF-15.
    I used it on my bars last night for a nice rooty ride. I only really wanted HIGH, and so that's all I used. I didn't even try the other modes. It starts on HIGH each time.
    Our ride was about 1.5 hrs. I would shut it off when we'd stop to regroup, and the one battery lasted the whole time. Just as we were nearing the end of the ride, I noticed it was slightly dimmer for about the last 5 minutes.
    So minus the breaks, I got a little over an hour of full light before it started to dim.

    No problems at all, no flickering, no shutting off. It makes a real nice bar light. I personally wouldn't want to wear it on my helmet because of the size and weight, but it could be done.

    It will be a nice cheap light that I can lend out to people who don't have lights, or use it to compliment my MS900 that's on my helmet until I pick up a MS1400 for my bars.

    Today I tried the other modes and everything is working fine now. Go figure. I dunno, maybe it needed to warm up! LOL!
    For the price, I'm real happy with it. I'd buy another one.

    Now if I could just get DX to ship my mounts!

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    520

    Batteries

    Fightnut,

    Cool, glad it all worked out on the trail!
    What 18650 batteries you using?
    Some DX items can be hit and miss regarding stock, I was lucky with those mounts as mine shipped straight away with my torch...
    off topic: how do I get to use an underlined word in my posts as a link to a website eg. Deal Extreme instead of putting in the whole url?
    Last edited by goatman; 08-22-2010 at 03:57 AM.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman
    off topic: how do I get to use an underlined word in my posts as a link to a website eg. Deal Extreme instead of putting in the whole url?
    Yep, that was one of my questions till not too long ago. This is done using HTML. If there is a short-cut to doing this I sure wish I knew how it could be done. Otherwise, you write it out using HTML. This link explains how to do it, in more ways than one.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Yep, that was one of my questions till not too long ago. This is done using HTML. If there is a short-cut to doing this I sure wish I knew how it could be done. Otherwise, you write it out using HTML. This link explains how to do it, in more ways than one.
    Thanks Cat-man-do!

    I was also hoping for a shortcut!

    A pic of modified bar mount using an additional screw here
    I just used glue instead.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: znomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman
    Thanks Cat-man-do!

    I was also hoping for a shortcut!

    Linky shortcut icon appears when you're writing a post.
    Select text then click it and add in your link URL.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit

    Linky shortcut icon appears when you're writing a post.
    Select text then click it and add in your link URL.
    +++

    so that's what that icon is for....thanks man I am finally enlightened....
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman
    +++

    so that's what that icon is for....thanks man I am finally enlightened....
    Thanks znomit and thanks goatman for being brave enough to ask, I should of asked that question myself years ago. Since we're totally off subject
    I now know that I have the same icon on my Outlook Express. All this time and I never knew what it did...shhhhhhsh!

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    520
    "thanks goatman for being brave enough to ask"
    My apologies for veering off topic.......

    To get back to business:

    Attached pic of MTE SF 15 and MTE SF 23.
    Respectively about 13.5mm and 15.4mm long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Deal Extreme Torches do you like?-flashlight-size-comparison.jpg  

    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •