Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

What Deal Extreme Torches do you like?

I'd like to get a little discussion going about what people like torch-wise from Deal Extreme. I bought 4 of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14027 a few years ago, and my son has managed to lose a couple while camping. These are good, but have very little flood (good helmet spot light) - I'm looking for a light the same size that has more flood. What have you got from DX and like?

I do have a magicshine for the bars, but would like one more light (or a couple) to play with for the other side of the bars and helmet.

What DX SKU do you like and recommend?

TIA

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the Aurora AK-P7-5 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16091. It almost two years old and hasn't given me any problems. It's 3-4x brighter than your current flashlight but it's also double the cost. For $35 it's an awesome deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm interested in hearing the responses to this question as well so if there are any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Lumen warrior
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18623

heres mine, got 2 of these torches, modified it to be helmet mounted, i just used the lighthead, soldered a positive and negative wire and seal everything with silicone sealant and a plastic cap and used the clickie switch inline, i used an 11.1v 2500mah lipoly battery stored in my backpack. its very nice to use it on the helmet since it has a lot of throw. and it has a white cold q5 cree xr-e, it appears brighter even if its rated at only 400 lumens.
    http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e.../Image0274.jpg

im using 2 ms900 on the bars and this torch on the helmet. very nice combination. my buddies say im too bright for the streets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a couple of MTE SF-15 lights.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567
    Had two of them on my bars this past winter for downhill sections and used a Magicshine light for the climbs. These lights will burn about 1 hour on high. Both lights worked fine all winter. Very happy with this light and it's very bright.

I also have a TR-801 on my helmet.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095
    This light will burn for about 90 minutes. Had one of these die on me last year. Cheaper to buy a new one than to fix it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrengee
    I have the Aurora AK-P7-5 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16091. It almost two years old and hasn't given me any problems. It's 3-4x brighter than your current flashlight but it's also double the cost. For $35 it's an awesome deal.
    I am interested in this light, it comes with a battery charger correct?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

No charger

Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    No charger, no battery, purchase separately.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Do you remember how much the total came to with shipping?

mtbr member
    Do you remember how much the total was with shipping?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I use the MS on my helmet, and I run one or two of these on my bars.

However, I'm switching to these.

The ones from DX use 3 AAA batteries and last about an hour before they start to dim. So sometimes I will change batteries mid-ride which is a pain to do in the dark, on the trail.

I think the ones from QualityChinaGoods will not only be brighter (Q5 compared to P4's), but will be a lot easier to change the single 18650 battery if need be.

I'll post my review of these when they get here and I get to use them on a night ride.

Oh, and I also have one of the Trustfire TR-801's from DX. I unthreaded the head about 2 turns and put a piece of electrical tape around the head to keep it from turning anymore. This takes the spot light and spreads it out a bit to be more floody.

I use this one as a loaner to people that don't have lights.

mtbr member
    Do you remember how much the total came to with shipping?
    Dealextreme's prices include international shipping to any location.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSR101
    I'd like to get a little discussion going about what people like torch-wise from Deal Extreme. I bought 4 of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14027 a few years ago, and my son has managed to lose a couple while camping. These are good, but have very little flood (good helmet spot light) - I'm looking for a light the same size that has more flood. What have you got from DX and like?

I do have a magicshine for the bars, but would like one more light (or a couple) to play with for the other side of the bars and helmet.

TIA
    In keeping with the original request: Since you already have a couple torches that use drop-ins, this is my suggestion. Buy a couple XP-G R-5 drop-ins. This is the one I use and suggest > http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...roductId=10064
    It is listed as 4.2volts max which is what you want if you are running single 18650's. It comes with a reflector that is a little too tight for MTB'in ( IMO ) BUT...if you exchange the reflector and use the one from your Q-5 XR-E drop-in, you will get a more usable beam pattern. The same applies if you wish to use it as a bar light.

Personally I have a couple nice true MTB light sets but a lot of time I choose the lite-weight / convenience of torches. My favorite bar torch to date is this one > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060
    I use it with this torch holder > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15342
    This P-7 torch is the best one I have. It works flawlessly,has a nice wide spill and lots of throw. Comes on in mid-mode, then low, then high, then the flash modes. There is no memory but this is a mixed blessing. All you have to do is turn it off and it comes back on in mid-mode so no need to cycle through the stupid flash modes. It will run for more than three hours in mid-mode which is a very usable setting. Even the low mode is only slightly dimmer than mid-mode and can be considered usable as well. With my sku12060 on the bars and my XP-G drop-in with XRE reflector on the helmet, I have no problem seeing anything. So far I'm doing my typical 2hr rides and still haven't yet needed to switch out a battery ( even though I always carry a spare just in case ) Anyway, out of the 8 or so torches I own these are the ones I use most.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Unfortunately it doesn't come with the charger. The charger is only $5 though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm curious on how long the MTE P7 or Aurora P7 torch will run on high?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by punkaccountant
    I'm curious on how long the MTE P7 or Aurora P7 torch will run on high?
    60 minutes or less from what I've read on here.

mtbr member
    60 minutes or less from what I've read on here.
    Just so everyone understands....Yes, that is right, the torch begins to noticeably dim around 50min but remains near the high output level for near 60min. After that the torch will continue to run maybe another 20-30min at diminished output levels ( depending on how old your batteries are ). Usually I will switch batteries ( takes about 30sec. ) if/when the output drops below the lowest level....UNLESS...I know I will need the higher output then I will/would switch out much sooner. Nevertheless, since I run the mid-level most of time for the bars, I've yet to run a battery out while on a ride. That goes for the helmet torch as well, I only use the high setting when I really need it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

P7-D MTE flashlight

I am very happy so far with this flashlight:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22569
    I use the following bar mount for it:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.31871
    I found this info on mtbr.com , I think it was in the DIY lights forum

Cat-man-do, do you find that the torch mount (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15342) is secure, not allowing the torch to rattle around on the trail?

DX also has a more expensive Fenix mount:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13004
    see attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Deal Extreme Torches do you like?-sku_13004_1.jpg  

Goatman

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman
    I

Cat-man-do, do you find that the torch mount (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15342) is secure, not allowing the torch to rattle around on the trail?
    Yes, it is very secure. It uses a cam-type buckle for both the bar mount and the torch mount. It takes a little getting used to to find the right adjustment for the torch but once you're dialed in everything is very secure. The bar buckle is almost exactly like the bar mount for the Dinotte 600L....quick release is the best way to go. The base of the mount is designed to swivel a bit, which I don't like but other than that it is a nice mount. I just tape up the swivel so it doesn't move and I'm good. I liked it so much I bought a spare...just in case it breaks or something. I've used it more than a year now without a problem.

mtbr member
    So why not another MS900 or it's bigger brother the 1400? Seems like the 1400 on the bars and the 900 on the helmet would be a wicked combo. I guess it would be significantly more expensive than a couple of DX lights, if low $$$ is what you're after.

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    So why not another MS900 or it's bigger brother the 1400? Seems like the 1400 on the bars and the 900 on the helmet would be a wicked combo. I guess it would be significantly more expensive than a couple of DX lights, if low $$$ is what you're after.

After 2+ years of lights attached to my bike, i have now gone for this combo, the Ms1400 mount is a bit feable for this light over proper off road terrain so had to do my Electron mount upgrade! I have a 5 mode Geoman MS900 on my helmet.

Never need more light i tend to use the front light with just the two R2's on full for most riding as it gives a nice broad beam.

I do sometimes pop a R5/SST-50 on bars too, too give a bit more punch into the night with only a little extra weight up there!

TBH i have probably spent the same amount of money on light as if id ove bought a Betty! But now have a load of spare torches batteries etc and have kitted out 4 people so far with my GF plannig on using my SF-15 on bars and the R5 on her helmet for the upcoming season! (i go out late just to use my lights (and the trails are empty) while its light at night)

Quote Originally Posted by GOATMAN
    click on the link in my sig if you want to make proper style mount for yoyr torches, will update with my current ones which are even better soon!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just ordered an MTE SF-15 off DX as they are a little smaller/more compact than my current SF-23 with a similar light output.
    Moggy82 can you elaborate on what lights these are that you mentioned:
    "Never need more light i tend to use the front light with just the two R2's on full for most riding as it gives a nice broad beam."
    Pardon my ignorance!

Thanks for the informative link!

I run a Magicshine 900lumen on my helmet as well.
    Last edited by goatman; 07-16-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just ordered an MTE SF-15 off DX as they are a little smaller/more compact than my current SF-23 with a similar light output.
    Moggy82 can you elaborate on what lights these are that you mentioned:
    "Never need more light i tend to use the front light with just the two R2's on full for most riding as it gives a nice broad beam."
    Pardon my ignorance!

Thanks for the informative link!

I run a Magicshine 900lumen on my helmet as well.
    That is refferring to the MS1400, the two small ligts on the sides!

You wont regret the SF-15 as long as you get a genuine one, there are copies which are much larger floating about! My one had no memory mode so came straight on at full, then one half click to med mode, the other modes never got used!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy82
    You wont regret the SF-15 as long as you get a genuine one, there are copies which are much larger floating about! My one had no memory mode so came straight on at full, then one half click to med mode, the other modes never got used!
    Excuse my ignorance but is most of the Deal Extreme stuff fake or do they sell from the genuine manufacturers? How can they sell a product labeled as an Aurora or MTE if it wasn't made by that company?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by qdave
    I have a couple of MTE SF-15 lights.
    Had two of them on my bars this past winter for downhill sections and used a Magicshine light for the climbs. These lights will burn about 1 hour on high. Both lights worked fine all winter. Very happy with this light and it's very bright.

I also have a TR-801 on my helmet.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095
    This light will burn for about 90 minutes. Had one of these die on me last year. Cheaper to buy a new one than to fix it.
    Copy cat. I have the 5 mode MTE. My ride is 35-40 minutes and I recharge batteries after two rides. The MTE on the bars is floody, the TR-801 on the helmet is throwy. This is my first helmet light and I really like having a helmet light.

I use sku.12000 for helmet mount and sku.15642 for the bars. The bar mount is rock solid but cumbersome to remove the flashlight. I've just ordered sku.8274, which is hidden in Flashlight Accessories!

I've also ordered the fake PBSF sku.35036 to attach to the back of my helmet.

I'm happy with these flashlights. They are relatively small while still delivering a good amount of light. The 2 battery flashlights are just too long for my tastes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Not fakes

Quote Originally Posted by punkaccountant
    Excuse my ignorance but is most of the Deal Extreme stuff fake or do they sell from the genuine manufacturers? How can they sell a product labeled as an Aurora or MTE if it wasn't made by that company?
    These flashlights are made by the listed manufacturers. But the knock off brands are cheap imitations of quality name brand flashlights like Surefire, Fenix, Jetbeam. The quality of these lights is hit or miss. Many people call DX products Junkfire. I like all of my Junkfire lights! If I ruin them in the rain or if I crash, I can afford to replace them. And as Catmandoo has pointed out, if you buy P60 style lights, you can upgrade the pill as new emitters come out.

I have to admit, though, that the Dinotte and other name brand bike lights look very fashionable. And I've never seen anyone complain about quality; they are all well made lights.

What you choose is personal preference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Bar mount modifications

LiveFreeThenDie said:
    I've just ordered sku.8274, which is hidden in Flashlight Accessories!

Have a look at this thread:

Handlebar mount suggestions for torches
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

TIA

Ok guys this thread shuldn't mutate to another magicshine discussion!!

Back to GSR101 question:
    Based upon your existing 4 (or now less ) DX lights this Skyray Light is what you are searching for (my guess )
    It gives you a bit more flood, thus with a reasonable throw, you can use your existing batteries and charger and it is the same size! Buuuuut it kicks out a lot mor lumen and unses the latest led technology........

Ok, that was my input

Ok, one last thing to mention though:
    As catmando already suggested - just to replace the drop in is also a cheap and well working solution! You only need a light for that (hopefully your son hasn't lost all your lights)
    Last edited by Whitedog1; 07-26-2010 at 04:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1
    Based upon your existing 4 (or now less ) DX lights this Skyray Light is what you are searching for (my guess )
    ..... uses the latest led technology........
    Actually it uses tomorrows technology. XPE R4, not released yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Actually it uses tomorrows technology. XPE R4, not released yet.
    yes you are right: DX shows a false description!

If you look at the reviews and the forum discussions.......it seems to be an XPG R5

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Fenix LD20s.

IMO are among some of the best AA flashlights out there albeit pricey. The ones listed on DealExtreme are the older Cree Q5 XR-E versions (180 lumens).

The latest out right now are the XP-G R4 models with slightly higher lumen output (205 lumens) and similar run times (unfortunately not offered by DX yet).

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19190

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    [.
    Goatman, did you get your MTE from DX yet? It's this one right? If so, first impressions?

I'm thinking about getting the same one (I like that it's shorter then a lot of the other P7's).
    It would be for my bars while my MS900 is on my helmet.

Since I already have 18650 batteries around, it seems like a good alternative to getting another complete MS, and it's only about 1/3 of the price.

Any feedback (from anyone) on sku 22567 is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Goatman, did you get your MTE from DX yet? It's this one right? If so, first impressions?

I'm thinking about getting the same one (I like that it's shorter then a lot of the other P7's).

Since I already have 18650 batteries around, it seems like a good alternative to getting another complete MS, and it's only about 1/3 of the price.

Fightnut I am very impressed with the MTE-SF15 flashlight. (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567)
    It is just as bright as the longer & heavier MTE SF- 23 that I already own.
    I had to tighten the LED module and using needle nose pliers though, as it was a little loose. Actually went and tightened the switch assembly this morning as well, even though it was not really that loose, just that I like to have it seated tightly. (No fun trying to sort out a flickering or dead flashlight out on the trail at night.)
    The size is ideal for a handlebar torch.
    I did a test running MS 900 on my helmet and both MTE SF-23 and MTE SF-15 on the bars using the modified mounts sku.15342.
    I found that one flashlight provided enough flood for the area in front of my wheel.
    I would recommend the smaller MTE-SF15 as long as you check that everything is tight when you receive it. It would also be an option as a helmet flashlight.
    Build quality seems fine, the clicky type tailswitch works well.
    I don't want to run another MS on the bars as then I have to attach a battery pack to my frame. I carry some spare 18650 batteries in my Camelbak for the flashlight just in case.
    Last edited by goatman; 08-08-2010 at 02:48 AM. Reason: add a link
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I have that P7 and I like it. I don't really have anything to compare it to. The build quality isn't too bad. It doesn't get too hot while riding. It has been rock solid, no flakiness. It even remembers what mode it was in if you power cycle it. It's a perfect size for the handle bars.

The light I got was well worth the money.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    I've reviewed both the 900 & 1400 Lumen deal extreme lights. Blinking great for teh cash.

Only reservation so far is their lack of water tightness.....and short cable shipped.

from www.paulpetch.com on Vimeo.

from www.paulpetch.com on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I use these.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.05937

M-CE m bin, $20, but switched the reflector (below) with a smooth one instead for some throw.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.05937

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Got my MTE SF-15 today and I'm kinda bummed. I'm having problems with it staying on.

As soon as I got it, I stuck a fresh battery in, turned it on, came on high first and shut right off. Medium ad low stayed on, but high, strobe and sos would shut off.

I took it apart, tightened down the switch and the pill (got maybe a 1/4 turn or less). Put it all back together and this time high/med/low seem to be staying on, but strobe and sos shut off after a second or two.

If it stays that way, that's fine with me because I have no need to those two modes, but I can't help but be concerned that I could have future problems with high/med/low.

Anyone else have an issue with this particular light?

mtbr member
    So, for the people out there that have the MTE SF-15, is it a good deal? I'm thinking getting these items from DX:

MTE SF-15 P7
    2-Pack Trustfire 2000mah 18650 batteries
    Battery Charger

Total comes to $43, which seems like a good deal. Good list you think, or are there better products for about the same price?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Got my MTE SF-15 today and I'm kinda bummed. I'm having problems with it staying on.

As soon as I got it, I stuck a fresh battery in, turned it on, came on high first and shut right off. Medium ad low stayed on, but high, strobe and sos would shut off.

I took it apart, tightened down the switch and the pill (got maybe a 1/4 turn or less). Put it all back together and this time high/med/low seem to be staying on, but strobe and sos shut off after a second or two.

If it stays that way, that's fine with me because I have no need to those two modes, but I can't help but be concerned that I could have future problems with high/med/low.

I ordered the 2 of those same lights and I'm waiting on them to arrive any day now. I'll let you know how they turn out. I'm not so excited now after hearing about your problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So, for the people out there that have the MTE SF-15, is it a good deal? I'm thinking getting these items from DX:

MTE SF-15 P7
    Battery Charger

Total comes to $43, which seems like a good deal. Good list you think, or are there better products for about the same price?
    I bought the exact same thing as you, and I'm impressed with it. It's very powerful and lasts long enough, though for longer rides I need to change batteries. It's impossible to beat for the price.

mtbr member

Sounds like you might have a bad driver. On the other hand this could be a blessing in disguise. Who really wants the flash modes anyway? As long as you have High-med-low you should be good. If you continue to have problems don't sit on it too long though. The shorter days are coming and there will likely be the usual rush for "All things light related" when the days get shorter. It would be prudent to ship it back before the mad rush is on for new lights. If it were me, I would just go ahead and order another one ( as long as you like the output..) and keep the other one as a back-up / lender / extra parts / or return later option. At least the one you have now works, for ever how long that may be.

Let us know how things fair. I was thinking of ordering one of these myself to replace my clunky SF-23 which has one burnt out led die. For the time being I'm going to wait to see if others have the same problem with theirs as you did with yours before I decide to order.

A quick little positive D/X story: Four weeks ago I ordered a nice little Q-5 5-mode mini torch for pocket duties. I also ordered two of the CRC123A rechargable Li-ion cells the torch works with ( only uses one cell at a time ). The bad news was the batteries I ordered were out of stock. The good news was that D/'X sent two other batteries ( Trustfire 880mAh Black and red/fire cells ) and told me they would send the others when they came in stock. I thought that was a nice touch by D/X. The torch works great and the batteries are great as well. Nothing like getting something for free to add some icing on the cake.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Troubleshooting link

Here is a link for troubleshooting your flashlights:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=227518

I found this on another thread on mtbr.com.
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

MTE SF-15 P7
    Battery Charger

I use these batteries:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26247

2600 mAh

Protected circuit, no problems yet.
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Update/review of my MTE SF-15.
    I used it on my bars last night for a nice rooty ride. I only really wanted HIGH, and so that's all I used. I didn't even try the other modes. It starts on HIGH each time.
    Our ride was about 1.5 hrs. I would shut it off when we'd stop to regroup, and the one battery lasted the whole time. Just as we were nearing the end of the ride, I noticed it was slightly dimmer for about the last 5 minutes.
    So minus the breaks, I got a little over an hour of full light before it started to dim.

No problems at all, no flickering, no shutting off. It makes a real nice bar light. I personally wouldn't want to wear it on my helmet because of the size and weight, but it could be done.

It will be a nice cheap light that I can lend out to people who don't have lights, or use it to compliment my MS900 that's on my helmet until I pick up a MS1400 for my bars.

Today I tried the other modes and everything is working fine now. Go figure. I dunno, maybe it needed to warm up! LOL!
    For the price, I'm real happy with it. I'd buy another one.

Now if I could just get DX to ship my mounts!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Batteries

Fightnut,

Cool, glad it all worked out on the trail!
    What 18650 batteries you using?
    Some DX items can be hit and miss regarding stock, I was lucky with those mounts as mine shipped straight away with my torch...
    off topic: how do I get to use an underlined word in my posts as a link to a website eg. Deal Extreme instead of putting in the whole url?
    Last edited by goatman; 08-22-2010 at 02:57 AM.
    Goatman

mtbr member
    off topic: how do I get to use an underlined word in my posts as a link to a website eg. Deal Extreme instead of putting in the whole url?
    Yep, that was one of my questions till not too long ago. This is done using HTML. If there is a short-cut to doing this I sure wish I knew how it could be done. Otherwise, you write it out using HTML. This link explains how to do it, in more ways than one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Yep, that was one of my questions till not too long ago. This is done using HTML. If there is a short-cut to doing this I sure wish I knew how it could be done. Otherwise, you write it out using HTML. This link explains how to do it, in more ways than one.
    Thanks Cat-man-do!

I was also hoping for a shortcut!

A pic of modified bar mount using an additional screw here
    I just used glue instead.
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Thanks Cat-man-do!

I was also hoping for a shortcut!

Linky shortcut icon appears when you're writing a post.
    Select text then click it and add in your link URL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit

Linky shortcut icon appears when you're writing a post.
    Select text then click it and add in your link URL.
    +++

so that's what that icon is for....thanks man I am finally enlightened....
    Goatman

mtbr member
    +++

so that's what that icon is for....thanks man I am finally enlightened....
    Thanks znomit and thanks goatman for being brave enough to ask, I should of asked that question myself years ago. Since we're totally off subject
    I now know that I have the same icon on my Outlook Express. All this time and I never knew what it did...shhhhhhsh!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    "thanks goatman for being brave enough to ask"
    My apologies for veering off topic.......

To get back to business:

Attached pic of MTE SF 15 and MTE SF 23.
    Respectively about 13.5mm and 15.4mm long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Deal Extreme Torches do you like?-flashlight-size-comparison.jpg  

Goatman

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    In keeping with the original request: Since you already have a couple torches that use drop-ins, this is my suggestion. Buy a couple XP-G R-5 drop-ins. This is the one I use and suggest > http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...roductId=10064
    It is listed as 4.2volts max which is what you want if you are running single 18650's. It comes with a reflector that is a little too tight for MTB'in ( IMO ) BUT...if you exchange the reflector and use the one from your Q-5 XR-E drop-in, you will get a more usable beam pattern. The same applies if you wish to use it as a bar light.

Personally I have a couple nice true MTB light sets but a lot of time I choose the lite-weight / convenience of torches. My favorite bar torch to date is this one > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060
    I use it with this torch holder > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15342
    This P-7 torch is the best one I have. It works flawlessly,has a nice wide spill and lots of throw. Comes on in mid-mode, then low, then high, then the flash modes. There is no memory but this is a mixed blessing. All you have to do is turn it off and it comes back on in mid-mode so no need to cycle through the stupid flash modes. It will run for more than three hours in mid-mode which is a very usable setting. Even the low mode is only slightly dimmer than mid-mode and can be considered usable as well. With my sku12060 on the bars and my XP-G drop-in with XRE reflector on the helmet, I have no problem seeing anything. So far I'm doing my typical 2hr rides and still haven't yet needed to switch out a battery ( even though I always carry a spare just in case ) Anyway, out of the 8 or so torches I own these are the ones I use most.
    Sorry, Cat-man, can you detail the helmet setup you mentioned there "xp-g drop-in with XRE reflector" ... you lost me ... i'm a total noob regarding lights, but looking for a light weight, cheap helmet setup ( DX torch of some sort... ) thx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    Sorry, Cat-man, can you detail the helmet setup you mentioned there "xp-g drop-in with XRE reflector" ... you lost me ... i'm a total noob regarding lights, but looking for a light weight, cheap helmet setup ( DX torch of some sort... ) thx.
    Step one: you need a P-60 drop-in torch host such as this. This particular torch host is the same one I use. It is relatively small and light-weight. This one comes with the Cree R-2 5-mode drop-in. The R-2 is an XR-E emitter so if you get this you will get the reflector as well. The reflectors unscrew very easily from the drop-in.

Step 2: get the 5-mode XP-G R-5 drop-in from Kaidomain ( the one listed as 4.2volts ) as I suggested before.

Step3: switch reflectors. The stock XP-G reflector is very narrow but has great throw, you might like this more. I like the XR-E reflector as it makes the beam a little more wider, more useful for MTB'in IMO. This of course compromises throw but it is a worthy trade off. When I use the XR-E reflector on the XP-G I don't tighten it down all the way. I leave it a couple threads up. You might have to experiment a bit to find your sweet spot.

The only thing else you will need are batteries and a charger and the ability to mount it to your helmet of course. If you need suggestions for batteries and charger I can give you those as well.

Note: I didn't see the XPG drop in listed on Kaidomain, unless they are talking about this.
    For some reason they are listing it as a lamp cap but it looks like the drop-in to me.
    Also note, I saw a good deal on a charger and two batteries on Kaidomain for about $20, not a bad deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

thread summary ... debate the reponses ... maybe should have started a new thread...

cat-man-do, wow and thanks for all the info.

reviewed the thread - although the suggestions about how the OP might modify his light are relevant to him, for the rest of us (um...me?) looking for thoughts on the current choices on DX for torches.

Here are the recommendations from the thread so far with prices and the marketing points for each from DX. Pros/Cons on each?!?

Trust Fire 801 - $13.54
    - Features a Cree XR-E Q5 WC LED emitter
    - Powered by 1 x 18650 lithium battery (4.2V max)
    - 230 lumens max (manufacturer rated)
    - Single-mode clicky tailcap switch
    Weight: 2.43 oz

Ultra Fire 501b - $16.15
    - Features a Cree XR-E R2-WC LED emitter
    - Powered by 1 x 18650 or 2 x 3.0V/3.6V CR123A batteries
    - 5-mode tailcap clicky switch with state memory: Hi > Mid > Lo > Strobe > SOS
    - Mode memory circuitry built-in -- returns the light to the previously used mode
    - 250 lumens maximum brightness (manufacturer rated)
    - 40 to 60 minutes estimated runtime per charge (manufacturer rated)
    Weight: 3.6 oz
    * additionally, Cat-man-do suggests replacing the reflector to get better flood.

UltraFire WF-502B $18.59
    Emitter Brand/Type: Cree XPE-WCR5
    Battery Configurations: 1 x 18650 / 2 x 16340 rechargeable battery
    Mode Memory: Circuitry Features Mode Memory
    Mode Arrangement: Hi > Mid > Lo > Fast Strobe > Slow Strobe
    Brightness: 320 lumens maximum brightness (manufacturer rated)
    Runtime: 50 minutes (manufacturer rated)
    Weight: 4.13 oz (117 g)

MTE SSC P7 5 mode - $28.04
    - Features a SSC P7 High Luminance LED Emitter
    - 900-Lumen maximum output (rated by MTE, printed on the body)
    - Powered by 1 x 3.7V 18650 rechargeable battery (not included)
    - 5-Mode tail-cap clicky switch with memory: Lo > Mid > Hi > Strobe > SOS
    Weight: 4.76 oz

MTE SF-15 - $28.75 (very simlar to SF-23, but smaller
    Emitter: SSC P7 - D
    Battery Configurations: 1 x 18650 battery
    Mode Arrangement: Hi > Mid > Lo > Fast Strobe > SOS
    Brightness: 900 lumens maximum brightness (manufactuer rated)
    Runtime: Hi 2.5-hours; Lo 4-hours (manufactuer rated)
    Weight: 4.87 oz

Aurora AK-P7-5 HA-III - $34.89
    - Features a Seoul Semiconductors SSC P7-C LED emitter
    - Powered by 1 x 18650 battery (4.2V max)
    - 5-mode tail cap clicky switch: Mid > Lo > Hi > Strobe > SOS
    - 900 lumens maximum brightness (manufacturer rated)
    - 30~60 estimated total runtime per charge (manufacturer rated)
    Weight: 5.22 oz

and lastly,

MX Power ML-900 - $43.85
    Emitter Brand/Type: Cree XR-E Emitter BIN: Q5-WC
    Total Emitters: 3
    Battery Configurations: 2 x 18650, or 4 x 3.0V/3.6V CR123A batteries
    Switch Type: Clicky (Clickie) Modes: 3
    Brightness: 400 lumens (manufacturer rated)
    Typical Battery Runtime: ~2 hours (manufacturer rated)
    Weight: 7.83 oz

So what's the best deal/pros/cons when comparing price, battery configs, emitter, weight, run time and real world brightness between these torches?

Really looking for a light cheap torch for the helmet to compliment something like a magic shine on the handle bars. ( I think that mirrors the OP's question - although he did already have some gear like batteries and possible hosts ...so trying to open it back up and debating the specific SKUs above ...maybe i should have started a new thread .. dunno )

Wondering about thoughts like: you could buy 2 of the 13.95 TR801s, and spend less than some of the other options....and total weight (according to their specs, not sure if that's legit) would be just about the same, or only slightly more. But do the TR801s hold up in terms of brightness and other things?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    slcpunk, I got one of the TR-801's last year because there was so much talk about them on here.
    Although it is a bright light, and small/lightweight enough to wear on a helemt, once I had it side by side with my MS (and especially now with my MTE SF-15), it's just not as impressive.
    Plus it has a very small hotspot, too tight of a spot for me.

The MTE SF-15 has a floodier beam and lots of bright spill. But, I wouldn't want to wear a P7 on my helmet (there certainly are people that do though), I just think it's too big/heavy and is too noticable.

I'd say run the MS on your helmet, stick a P7 on your bars and you're good to go.

My TR-801 (as well as several zoom to throw torches) are loaners now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    slcpunk, I got one of the TR-801's last year because there was so much talk about them on here.
    Although it is a bright light, and small/lightweight enough to wear on a helemt, once I had it side by side with my MS (and especially now with my MTE SF-15), it's just not as impressive.
    Plus it has a very small hotspot, too tight of a spot for me.

The MTE SF-15 has a floodier beam and lots of bright spill. But, I wouldn't want to wear a P7 on my helmet (there certainly are people that do though), I just think it's too big/heavy and is too noticable.

I'd say run the MS on your helmet, stick a P7 on your bars and you're good to go.

My TR-801 (as well as several zoom to throw torches) are loaners now.
    Great info - I have been using an old NiteRider HID on my helmet, and I thought that was too heavy...I just assumed the torches would be lighter than the MS, but I guess the P7s really aren't.

oh, wow. i just went and weighed that NR lamp that I thought was so heavy ... its only 176g ... so those torches would really be much more. ( although partly its where the weight is, on the front, pushing my helmet down over my eyes ) hmm... have to think some more ... OH ... double DOH ... grams vs. Oz. I wasn't paying attention...so most of those torches WOULD be lighter than that NR HID.

Don't forget about this boat anchor! Yikes, I rode with 2 of these, one on the bike and one in my pack...that's like 4 pounds!! Dark ages compared to new Lithium batteries...

lotto baby
    i just got out on my new set up last night.

i'm using this:

(the MTE SF-15) on the bars and...

this:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

(the MTE SSC P7) on the helmet.

i really really like the SF-15. i was using it in mid-mode the whole time and thought it was plenty bright. to be honest, i would actually like to use it on the helmet as well. the P7 is real easy to fit on the head, and did not make my helmet slide all over and my head feel heavy. using the P7 is adequate in mid-mode for twisty higher speed flats and moderate speed downhills, but when you get moving on the downhills, i ended up putting it on high.

i think this is a great set up, and would even go with two of the SF-15s, one on the head and one on the bars. the SF-15 has a nice color light and is plenty bright, and plenty of spill for use as a flood.

as an FYI:
    i'm using these batteries:

and picked up this charger too:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105

my buddy had a magicshine and between the two of us we had plenty of light for high speed downhills. we were out for just over one hour and i noticed no dimming at all... i think that was because i was using mid-mode for 90% of the time.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkenstein

i'm using this:

this:

i really really like the SF-15. i was using it in mid-mode the whole time and thought it was plenty bright. to be honest, i would actually like to use it on the helmet as well. the P7 is real easy to fit on the head, and did not make my helmet slide all over and my head feel heavy. using the P7 is adequate in mid-mode for twisty higher speed flats and moderate speed downhills, but when you get moving on the downhills, i ended up putting it on high.

i think this is a great set up, and would even go with two of the SF-15s, one on the head and one on the bars. the SF-15 has a nice color light and is plenty bright, and plenty of spill for use as a flood.

as an FYI:

my buddy had a magicshine and between the two of us we had plenty of light for high speed downhills. we were out for just over one hour and i noticed no dimming at all... i think that was because i was using mid-mode for 90% of the time.
    awesome info. if you get more run time info, post it up, would be curious. Also, would you say the SF-15 is much heavier/bulkier than the P7 or are they about equal? ( the SF15 looks slightly bulkier )

seems like a super good way to get in cheap...and even have some options down the road for modding/replacing pills/reflectors etc.

Also, how much less bright was your setup compared to your buddy's MS? ( not really fair, 3 lights vs. 1 ... but ... nearly the same price )

and finally, helmet mount, did you just make your own or use something from DX?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

There are two basic mounts that I have used for mounting the SF 15 and SF 23 to helmets (friend's helmets)
    Depending on the design of the helmet one of these two from DX should fit:
    this one or this one
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    slcpunk, I can tell you that when I click back and forth from my SF-15 torch and my MS900, I can barely see a difference in brightness.

As far as size and weight between the two torches that clarkstein has, you can see the measurements and weights listed on their DX ads.

Hope that helps.

lotto baby
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    awesome info. if you get more run time info, post it up, would be curious. Also, would you say the SF-15 is much heavier/bulkier than the P7 or are they about equal? ( the SF15 looks slightly bulkier )

seems like a super good way to get in cheap...and even have some options down the road for modding/replacing pills/reflectors etc.

Also, how much less bright was your setup compared to your buddy's MS? ( not really fair, 3 lights vs. 1 ... but ... nearly the same price )

like fightnut said - all the exact weights/lengths are on the website. nothing is overly heavy or anything for me.

so i took the set up out again last night. ran solid for just under an hour and half with no noticed dimming at all. i run everything generally on mid but cycle through to high mode for high speed downhills. i added a few extra miles this trip out and used high a bit more and didn't have to change batteries - so i'm pretty psyched about the time i get on mid. i even went to just using the bar light only on mid for slow steady climbs and that worked fine.

there's little difference in weight/bulk of the lights. one is shorter than the other, and that's all i can really notice honestly.

as far as the difference between my helmet light and the MS - on high, virtually none for riding purposes. they are both really bright. now that i used high more on this ride i'm real happy with the helmet light choice.

as far as my mount goes - i did buy something for the helmet but it just didn't work out for my giro xen. i ended up taking a couple popsicle sticks, cutting them up, wrapping them in electrical tape, and using some wire cable ties to fasten everything together.

i'll take some pics and post them up soon.
    Last edited by clarkenstein; 09-21-2010 at 01:56 PM.

lotto baby
    i got out to the car and took a picture of my helmet set up. it could be a pretty temporary set up, but it doesn't have an inkling of wiggle, so i may just leave it that way. i normally go to a skate style lid in the fall/winter, so this might just become my night riding helmet until the warmer temps come around again.

i used the wrapped popsicle sticks to push the light up a bit so i don't have to keep my head in an awkward position to have it light up the right area, and it also gives the light a platform to sit on. the velcro holds the light in place, so i can take the light off in a second. if i were to ride around without the light, i would just look extra dorky with two black slats on my helmet and some cable tie loops stuck to it, but whatever.

honestly, i think it'll probably end up being my permanent set up since i know i'll be too lazy to figure anything else out at this point since i have something set up that works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Deal Extreme Torches do you like?-0921101243.jpg  

Last edited by clarkenstein; 09-21-2010 at 01:56 PM.

lotto baby
    and here it is is sans light. i should have used black cable ties, but i ran out. at least i didn't use blaze orange. or maybe i should have...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Deal Extreme Torches do you like?-0921101243a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    and here it is is sans light. i should have used black cable ties, but i ran out. at least i didn't use blaze orange. or maybe i should have...
    my favorite type of diy project ... popsicle sticks....sweet! low tech, but functional.

thanks again for all the info.. (everyone)

really starting to think this is the way to go ... sure I would love something like the amoeba..but for the price this type of setup is looking hard to beat. ( MS not withstanding...)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Last edited by terratec; 09-22-2010 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I gotta disagree with terratec on this one (with all due respect of course)
    But why would you spend $23-$26 for a 150-320 lumen light when you can get 600ish lumens from a $28 P7?

Especially if they are similar size and weight anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I gotta disagree with terratec on this one (with all due respect of course)
    But why would you spend $23-$26 for a 150-320 lumen light when you can get 600ish lumens from a $28 P7?
    I agree with your disagreement.

The extra output is very welcome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm still learning myself. The P60 body torches seem more practical due to there easier upgradibility and better quality components. I am suggesting good alternatives if your fed up with the P7 with it's clunky head. The XP-G will be more efficient and should produce less heat, and you know it not all about lumens but the beam pattern/throw.

You could use 2 low price XP-G each with different beam patterns and would be more effective.

Why is it i read several reports it harder to distinguish between XP-G R5 and P7?

You mean like this MCE?
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36356

They get hot.

Look how nicer this torch is for $21
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32749
    Last edited by terratec; 09-22-2010 at 12:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode Super LED Flashlight (18650)

This light is not much brighter than the extremely bright Ultrafire WF-502B Cree XPE-WCR5 320-Lumen 5-mode, SKU 35076, which sells for about $19 and has the additional option of two CR123a's instead of a single 18650. You can buy two of the Ultrafires for just a few bucks more than the price of one of these.

If 1 or 2 Cree XPE or G 320-Lumen 5-mode won't be enough for you. Neither will 1 P7, MCE

I just think 2 torches at $40 is better value than 1 torch at $30 for several reasons. Better beams, throw, safety, backup etc. All the 2x18650 P7 i have seen have been long.

Am i talking rubbish?

Bottomline: Nice light but since I have the SKYRAY S-R5 Cree XPG-R4 5-Mode 320-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (SKU 32749) I like this SKYRAY better. The SKYRAY is also about half the price of this MTE.
    Last edited by terratec; 09-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.

lotto baby
    t-tec, i'm not sure if i am following you 100%.

but the light i think you were saying was nice...

... it looks like it has a very very tight beam and a pretty short run time with fewer lumens than the other options mentioned. i understand the need for throw (i guess it depends on where you ride) but i am finding plenty of throw with the set up i have now. i ride in relatively tight/twisty east coast style stuff tho, but even on the straight-shot downhills i feel i have plenty of throw with more lumesn, better run time, and only for a few dollars more.

i agree with you about the 2 battery set ups - i don't think i would personally want a flashlight that long or heavy on the bars or my helmet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by terratec
    Am i talking rubbish?
    Not at all, but it's a matter of opinions. I just happen to prefer a big honking light. It just works better for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I say, If you want big honking light then it is wiser to spend just alittle more($40-50) and get something more quality. Lots of lumens, whatever the model at the lowest prices means, they cut corners more on the rest of the flashlight somewhere and the light comes into whole question. eg. heat

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    t-tec, i'm not sure if i am following you 100%.

but the light i think you were saying was nice...

... it looks like it has a very very tight beam and a pretty short run time with fewer lumens than the other options mentioned. i understand the need for throw (i guess it depends on where you ride) but i am finding plenty of throw with the set up i have now. i ride in relatively tight/twisty east coast style stuff tho, but even on the straight-shot downhills i feel i have plenty of throw with more lumesn, better run time, and only for a few dollars more.

i agree with you about the 2 battery set ups - i don't think i would personally want a flashlight that long or heavy on the bars or my helmet.
    It was just a example to make a point that total lumens aren't everything. Build quality and beam patterns are. There are other nice suitable torches around. Besides my requirements are different.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    It's a matter of opinions.
    Sure, you like the improved P7, MTE MCE etc.

Title of thread "What Deal Extreme Torches do you like?"

and the list are the one's i like to get

Rhino
    Can anyone recommend a DE lamp that takes AA or AAA, not interested in the 18650 or CR battery models. Need a light that I can get batteries at any backcountry store. I would like a light with about 10-12 hour run time. Lumen output is not as critical as long run time is. Needs to be functional, so lumen output needs to be 50-100.

Anybody have an recommendations while they were searching the DE website?

mtbr member
    ...Well I might as well add my .02. On high the P-7 torch is gonna have the wider/brighter beam pattern but as terratec has alluded to, the XP-G has good or better throw depending on what reflector is being used. While I've never used a P-7 torch for helmet duties I suppose it could be done. I did use an MC-E torch for helmet duties for about a year. It supplied a very nice beam pattern on high and had lots of throw/spill. To achieve that throw though it had to use a 40mm reflector. This made the torch a tad heavy/clunky. When the XP-G torches came out I switched to one of those. In my case an Ultrafire WF-401B with XPG P-60 drop-in. I don't have a scale but the WF401B is a lot lighter/smaller than my Aurora MCE torch, not to mention more usable modes and better over-all run time. I lose a little throw with the XR-E reflector I use on my drop-in but this gives me a better beam pattern for helmet use. The Aurora did have better throw on high but until a better/more compact optic comes along to focus the the P-7/MCE led's I intend to continue using the XP-G for helmet duties. Besides, in my case I'm running more than enough light on the bars to compensate.

FWIW...I just ordered another XP-G Ultrafire torch from D/'X. I thought I might try running two on the helmet. I figure for $18 it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds
    Can anyone recommend a DE lamp that takes AA or AAA, not interested in the 18650 or CR battery models. Need a light that I can get batteries at any backcountry store. I would like a light with about 10-12 hour run time. Lumen output is not as critical as long run time is. Needs to be functional, so lumen output needs to be 50-100.

Anybody have an recommendations while they were searching the DE website?
    Look this stuff over. You might get good use out of a Dinotte 200L that uses 4 x AA. Look around, you might find one used at a good price.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 09-22-2010 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I say, If you want big honking light then it is wiser to spend just alittle more($40-50) and get something more quality. Lots of lumens, whatever the model at the lowest prices means, they cut corners more on the rest of the flashlight somewhere and the light comes into whole question. eg. heat
    I'm quite happy with my choice, thank you. Plus, I really don't care about heat all that much. Does the light work? Does it last long enough? Then I'm good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Terratec, you say the P7's have a "clunky head" and they are all "too long"??

Some of the lights you linked have larger heads and are longer then my P7 !

And you keep talking about the "quality". Most of those lights on DX are in the same general league. It's not like you're comparing a $25 DX light against a $75 Fenix light.

As far you the heat that you keep mentioning about the P7's, are you carrying it in your hand while riding???

lotto baby
    Bottomline: Nice light but since I have the SKYRAY S-R5 Cree XPG-R4 5-Mode 320-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (SKU 32749) I like this SKYRAY better. The SKYRAY is also about half the price of this MTE.
    more like 3/4 of the price, not half, (or $6.90, $28 vs. $21). the light you're talking about has a better price, but virtually the same weight, same length, and somewhere in the range of around 40-50% fewer lumens, which i think counts at high speeds. its a difference between knowing what is ahead of you versus seeing something and still trying to make it out when you are right on it.

what do you think of sku 35076 or 15335 as alternatives? even better savings, and virtually the same lm output as that skyray. but having experienced the higher mode output versus the output i get on mid mode, i wouldn't want my mid mode to be the peak light output for me, especially over less than a 10 spot.

i guess if someone was using this thread as a reference, i just feel like i wouldn't steer them in those lower lumen output lights for a few dollars saved, unless their budget was stupid tight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I will digress. I agree with all your points . They all suffer heat issues to a degree.

Most MTB'ers' are using 2 lights anyways. I don't need 1200 lumens.

It was my personal choice for me. I just think it smarter to use the more efficient LED's.

lotto baby
    I will digress. I agree with all your points .

totally what i was going for

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Peace offerings.

A MCE (BIN M) Ultrafire 501b body for £20
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...359~r.72863811

A MCE (BIN K) 502b body $22
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39736

and a compromise

Use 2 lights. P7 for lots of flood with a XP-G for lots of throw.
    Last edited by terratec; 09-23-2010 at 05:04 PM.

lotto baby
    Peace offerings.

and a compromise

nice claimed run times - and very nice weights. good finds there! i might pick one of these up for test.

mtbr member
    Peace offerings.

and a compromise

There is also a P-7 drop-in as well. The MC-E K-bin drop-in didn't get real good reviews. The MC-E M-bin drop-in is getting mixed reviews. Basically if you get an MC-E in a drop-in I don't think the beam pattern is going to be as nice as what you get in a standard torch that uses a screw-in pill. Smaller reflectors work better with smaller emitters. Drop-ins are also not as good as a standard torch because the standard torch ( with pill ) can transfer the heat better to the outside of the torch. This is real important in applications where the drive current exceeds 1 amp as is the case with the MCE, P-7..etc. Anyway, there was a lot of disagreement among the reviewers as to what the max current value actually was when using the MC-E drop-in. *Another factor to consider with drop-ins is that sometimes you don't get good electrical contact with the drop-in. This can lessen current to the LED making it not as bright as it should be. ( * this is sometimes also true of standard torches as well ) ( * note: I take my P-60 host apart all the time to make sure that all electrical contacts are as clean and tight as they can be. Believe me, it makes a big difference )

Now with all this said, I do own a very nice SST-50 drop-in that works very well with my Ultrafire P-60 host. ( WF-401B ) It provides a very nice/bright beam somewhere in the 500-550 lumen range. Runtimes were very similar to what you get with P-7's and MC-E's.
    Until I got my XP-G drop-in I was using the SST-50 for helmet duties but DANG It!, the XP-G beats it for throw. The sad part was that the SST-50 drop-in was about $45 when I bought it. Now they are even more.

Once again, bottom line: It isn't always how much light an emitter can produce that makes it useful. It is how much light is produced coupled with what can be done with that light using the available optic/reflectors for said emitter. Right now, XP-G seems to win this contest because of better available optics/reflectors. This is why 2 x XP-G can beat the pants off a single MC-E drop-in. At least IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Peace offerings.

Got the MCE M bins for 3 months now. Works great. Just ordered another one a week ago.

Switch the reflector with a smooth one, the stock reflector is floody.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5937

Also, make sure you use aluminum pop can shims for heatsinking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles
    Got the MCE M bins for 3 months now. Works great. Just ordered another one a week ago.

You would think that someone would have made a made-to-order after-market shim for P-60's by now!. Still, I might have to give your idea a try. Some have used rolled Aluminum foil but I think bent ( wedge/ spring-like ) shims would transfer heat better. The hard part is getting them to make good contact on both sides to get decent heat transference. Messing with home made shims would be a PITA though.

On the up side my D/X order is on the way. It should be here in about 12 days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You would think that someone would have made a made-to-order after-market shim for P-60's by now!. Still, I might have to give your idea a try. Some have used rolled Aluminum foil but I think bent ( wedge/ spring-like ) shims would transfer heat better. The hard part is getting them to make good contact on both sides to get decent heat transference. Messing with home made shims would be a PITA though.

On the up side my D/X order is on the way. It should be here in about 12 days.
    $20 for a MC-E M Bin flashlight, made-to-order shims are silly, aluminum from pop cans are easy. Shove enough aluminum pop can strips in there, it's pretty much a wedge/spring-like. It's a better shim than the aluminum foil imo.

Other than that, I love the flashlight, it's great. Lighter, brighter, cheaper, and smaller than my P7. What's not to like? Having two or three wouldn't hurt, they're so cheap.

mtbr member
    I just ordered the MCE Bin M 501b as well. I'll be interested to see how it works out and if it needs the shims. I plan on using it as a second/backup light for trail riding and for commuting during the winter.

mtbr member
    $20 for a MC-E M Bin flashlight, made-to-order shims are silly, aluminum from pop cans are easy. Shove enough aluminum pop can strips in there, it's pretty much a wedge/spring-like. It's a better shim than the aluminum foil imo.

Other than that, I love the flashlight, it's great. Lighter, brighter, cheaper, and smaller than my P7. What's not to like? Having two or three wouldn't hurt, they're so cheap.
    Well I tried a couple pieces of strip aluminum and was having a bit of a problem. After two unsuccessful tries the larger spring came off the drop-in. I slid it back on but now it rattles a little. At first I thought it was the shims that rattled but after I took them out it still rattled. Not to mention every time I take the module out I have to check the adjustment on the reflector ( as I have mine dialed in so to speak ). Wish I had a little thermal grease to help keep the shims in place ( as well as the spring ). I might have to check out the local Radio shack to see what they have available. I just really wonder though if it really is going to make a difference.

Heck, I thought the custom machined shim idea was a good idea. Ah, just had a brain storm. I think I'll use my old R2 drop-in to to help get the fit right. No sense in taking a chance with XP-G anymore until I get it right. Just wish I did this before the Spring came off the XPG. A minor issue perhaps but I hate annoying little noises. I got to stop that rattle. ( edit: hummm....maybe I'll try taking the spring off and see if it stops rattling )

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There is also a P-7 drop-in as well. The MC-E K-bin drop-in didn't get real good reviews. The MC-E M-bin drop-in is getting mixed reviews. Basically if you get an MC-E in a drop-in I don't think the beam pattern is going to be as nice as what you get in a standard torch that uses a screw-in pill. Smaller reflectors work better with smaller emitters. Drop-ins are also not as good as a standard torch because the standard torch ( with pill ) can transfer the heat better to the outside of the torch. This is real important in applications where the drive current exceeds 1 amp as is the case with the MCE, P-7..etc. Anyway, there was a lot of disagreement among the reviewers as to what the max current value actually was when using the MC-E drop-in. *Another factor to consider with drop-ins is that sometimes you don't get good electrical contact with the drop-in. This can lessen current to the LED making it not as bright as it should be. ( * this is sometimes also true of standard torches as well ) ( * note: I take my P-60 host apart all the time to make sure that all electrical contacts are as clean and tight as they can be. Believe me, it makes a big difference )

Now with all this said, I do own a very nice SST-50 drop-in that works very well with my Ultrafire P-60 host. ( WF-401B ) It provides a very nice/bright beam somewhere in the 500-550 lumen range. Runtimes were very similar to what you get with P-7's and MC-E's.
    Until I got my XP-G drop-in I was using the SST-50 for helmet duties but DANG It!, the XP-G beats it for throw. The sad part was that the SST-50 drop-in was about $45 when I bought it. Now they are even more.

Once again, bottom line: It isn't always how much light an emitter can produce that makes it useful. It is how much light is produced coupled with what can be done with that light using the available optic/reflectors for said emitter. Right now, XP-G seems to win this contest because of better available optics/reflectors. This is why 2 x XP-G can beat the pants off a single MC-E drop-in. At least IMO.
    Not looked at P7 drop-in as the MCE appears to be the brightest.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but from what i heard, I am surprised you recommend a SST-50 in a P60 body due to high amps, excessive heat. Very low runtime for 1x18650. I considered the MCE would be at the limit and make a very good drop-in with some practical runtime(1x18650 90 mins). If you mean, running a battery pack, then less of an issue.

If you can afford it for a better investment($35). I consider for nearer to genuine 500 higher value lumens, maximum runtime with low heat using 1x18650 etc. The Thrunite XP-G P60 drop-in does 493 lumens!(higher than SST-50 possibly?) at 1.5A(low heat). http://www.thrunite.com/productsweb/...20Drop-in.html (MCE is around 2 i believe). It appears some P7's only give out 400 genuine lumens. This would well explain why XP-G looks nearly as bright.

I think a good value setup for 1 or 2x18650(my requirements-no helmet or battery pack) would be get 2x SolarForce L2 or L2M bodys(good quality body), alot cheaper than the torches complete with extension tube for option to run 2x18650 with the XP-G MCE drop-in. There appears to be better drop-in's than the DX one.
    This is probably old news to the experienced here.
    Last edited by terratec; 09-29-2010 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

One review said it brighter than a P7. ?

mtbr member
    So, I'm curious where do you put the aluminum shims in for heat transfer on the MCE M Bin?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Wrap the reflector module (silver on the left) with shims then insert it from the top. Close it with the lens cap on the far right.

mtbr member
    Not looked at P7 drop-in as the MCE appears to be the brightest.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but from what i heard, I am surprised you recommend a SST-50 in a P60 body due to high amps, excessive heat. Very low runtime for 1x18650. I considered the MCE would be at the limit and make a very good drop-in with some practical runtime(1x18650 90 mins). If you mean, running a battery pack, then less of an issue.

If you can afford it for a better investment($35). I consider for nearer to genuine 500 higher value lumens, maximum runtime with low heat using 1x18650 etc. The Thrunite XP-G P60 drop-in does 493 lumens!(higher than SST-50 possibly?) at 1.5A(low heat). http://www.thrunite.com/productsweb/...20Drop-in.html (MCE is around 2 i believe). It appears some P7's only give out 400 genuine lumens. This would well explain why XP-G looks nearly as bright.

I think a good value setup for 1 or 2x18650(my requirements-no helmet or battery pack) would be get 2x SolarForce L2 or L2M bodys(good quality body), alot cheaper than the torches complete with extension tube for option to run 2x18650 with the XP-G MCE drop-in. There appears to be better drop-in's than the DX one.
    This is probably old news to the experienced here.
    Actually, the SST-50 is suppose to reach the 600L around 1.75A mark. It is also a single die vs. the MC-E with is multi-die. Not a big deal if you want a flood beam but the SST-50 will not not have die lines in the beam pattern if you can find a reflector big enough. I have a old Aurora MC-E torch that I've thought of fitting with a SST-50. The thing that stopped me was the fact that the torch doesn't come apart so I can gain access to the pill. The SST-50 ( and 90 ) are both designed to handle high levels of current ( up to 5A I believe for SST-50 ). Regardless, if you run either the SST-50 or the MCE around 2.5A you will get a similar output. Once again optics and heat sinking come into play but a 50 should be better at handling heat.

Very interesting that XP-G drop-in at 1.5A. However the link is just an ad link...no sales. I did a brief look-around on the web. The only one I found that sold it was this place. Sold out unfortunately. If you know a place that actually has the item that would be nice. I'm not sure though how well it would work in my torch host @ 1.5A. The one I have gets real hot if left on and I'm not moving. Still, if I find one it will most likely be on my upcoming Santa list. Anyway, FWIW the ones I use are from Kaidomain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    here you can find some high quality custom made 1.4/1.5A P60 dropins...

Nailbender & Anto

mtbr member

i'm using this:

this:

as an FYI:

I stole your idea and ordered a sf-15 light, batteries and charger that you linked. I am not going to use it on the bike actually as I already have that more than covered, but I need a decent flashlight. I only have a Coleman 115 lumen 2 aa flashlight right now and it doesn't even give dimming options. I am in desperate need of a halfway decent flashlight. This seems like a good start. I can strap my 1750 lumen Lupine Betty to the headband and use that, but it is not as convenient as just grabbing a flashlight by the door and going outside or bringing with me in the car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ
    I stole your idea and ordered a sf-15 light, batteries and charger that you linked. I am not going to use it on the bike actually as I already have that more than covered, but I need a decent flashlight. I only have a Coleman 115 lumen 2 aa flashlight right now and it doesn't even give dimming options. I am in desperate need of a halfway decent flashlight. This seems like a good start. I can strap my 1750 lumen Lupine Betty to the headband and use that, but it is not as convenient as just grabbing a flashlight by the door and going outside or bringing with me in the car.
    Max, Once you get this torch you're going to be kicking yourself in the butt for not ordering a bar mount at the same time. Yeah, I know...you've got the nice Super-duper Lupines for Super night time bike riding. That's all good, I've got some nice lights too BUT...You're going to have days when all you really want is a normal day ride. Nevertheless on some of those days ( when the days start getting shorter ) you might end up running a little late getting back or perhaps a mechanical problem or flat has you racing the sun. Most really powerful light systems use a good size battery and do weigh a bit not to mention take up some room in your bag ( that is unless you ride in the day with your lights already mounted ). You would hate to have to carry all of your good stuff ( Lupines in this case ) and then end up not needing them. Well, perhaps that doesn't bother you but if it does....It is so easy to throw a light-weight torch in the ol' bike bag for those, "Just in case moments". Since I am a dedicated "Night person" most of my rides aren't going to start until the afternoon. If I think I might get back just as it starts getting dark, I'll usually throw a couple torches in the bag ( for J-I-Case ) and I know I'm good. For me the good lights are reserved for those "In the dark 2hrs+" rides. ( *Note: the only exception to that rule would be if I was riding some really knarly stuff that included some really technical H-speed downhills. Only then would I bring out the good stuff for a planned late/ day ride. )

Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1
    here you can find some high quality custom made 1.4/1.5A P60 dropins...

Nailbender & Anto
    Yep, some of that Nailbender stuff looks nice. I think the 1.5A ones though are using drivers with a higher maximum input voltage. The 1.4A ones are a little lower @ 6 volts but I'd rather use one designed to work with the standard 4.2 volts max provided by most 18650 cells. I'm not saying the others wouldn't work but the efficiency would likely drop once the cell gets below 4 volts.

Wow, NBender is making a duel XPG drop-in...very cool. Has a donut hole in the beam but damn I bet that thing is bright. ( ea. at ~ 1.2A ... )

I don't really hang out much over on CPF because there is just SO MUCH STUFF!
    Umm....it seems the Gurus over there are "Potting" the drop-ins using copper tape and thermal epoxy". This is something I just have to find out more about. This would really give you "Great" heat sinking, especially if you are using a drop-in that produces a lot of heat. Thumbsup Whitedog for that link.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 10-01-2010 at 03:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Did a late evening into night ride yesterday and used a universal rubber mount + SF 15 flashlight on my riding buddy's helmet (she doesn't have a light), it worked fine.
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Max, Once you get this torch you're going to be kicking yourself in the butt for not ordering a bar mount at the same time. Yeah, I know...you've got the nice Super-duper Lupines for Super night time bike riding. That's all good, I've got some nice lights too BUT...You're going to have days when all you really want is a normal day ride. Nevertheless on some of those days ( when the days start getting shorter ) you might end up running a little late getting back or perhaps a mechanical problem or flat has you racing the sun. Most really powerful light systems use a good size battery and do weigh a bit not to mention take up some room in your bag ( that is unless you ride in the day with your lights already mounted ). You would hate to have to carry all of your good stuff ( Lupines in this case ) and then end up not needing them. Well, perhaps that doesn't bother you but if it does....It is so easy to throw a light-weight torch in the ol' bike bag for those, "Just in case moments". Since I am a dedicated "Night person" most of my rides aren't going to start until the afternoon. If I think I might get back just as it starts getting dark, I'll usually throw a couple torches in the bag ( for J-I-Case ) and I know I'm good. For me the good lights are reserved for those "In the dark 2hrs+" rides. ( *Note: the only exception to that rule would be if I was riding some really knarly stuff that included some really technical H-speed downhills. Only then would I bring out the good stuff for a planned late/ day ride. )
    Yup that is a good point. I don't like to haul my Lupines around with me all the time and I should have ordered a bar mount for the flashlight too. Well when the light arrives and I decide I like it I might have to place another order for the bar mount and I might have to get another flashlight too.

mtbr member
    So, I'm curious where do you put the aluminum shims in for heat transfer on the MCE M Bin?
    Okay I found this over on CPF. Scroll down a bit and they describe how to "Shim and Pot" a P-60 drop-in.
    You can use home-made shims but I think I'll go the brass tape route. The directions are spot on. Now I just have to find the brass tape. More than likely Radio shack should have this but if not I can always order it over the web.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use sliced up cans of pop wrapped around, sand off the paint and stuff first though before you cut the can up.

Got 3 of those cheap Flood to Zoom torches on order hoping for a Sylvia L1 style output so a perfect spot with zero spill and adjustable spot size, but we shall see, looks like they'll throw though and be useful for night time paint balling if so

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0