mtbr member
    Jun 2012

What is the brightest cateye tail light now?

They don't put them in order on their site.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    I'd say the rapid3, based on runtime (will drain an AA in 3 hours on steady). Really like mine.
    TL-LD630-R | CATEYE
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    why do you want a cateye ? a bright cateye is a bit of an oxymoron ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    I'd say the rapid3, based on runtime (will drain an AA in 3 hours on steady). Really like mine.
    TL-LD630-R | CATEYE
    yeah it says 3 hours on steady, but it also says 80 hours in flashing and 20 in "rapid"

it's not like you're going to use the steady mode so what do you care about it ?

based on the abysmal performance of my Catye TL LD 1100 and the fact that there is no mention of Lumens i would be very cautious calling any cateye tail light "bright" ...

my LD1100 has 50 hours in steady form 2 cells, so that makes it 25 hours per cell. this thing says 3 hours - is it really 10 times brighter ? somehow i find it hard to believe.

i would be more inclined to think it is either a mistake, or bad design which makes steady mode cut out when the battery is only down to like 80% full, forcing to switch to lower power ( flashing ) modes.

i would rather use the flashing mode run times as indicator.

if i was OP i would stay away from anything made by Cateye if i wanted brightness ....

here's a video of Cateye spoke light brightness vs MonkeyLectric spoke light brightness. i also compared ( not on video ) brightness of my Cateye tail light to Dinotte and the difference was just as enormous. it just leads me to conclude that Cateye and Bright should not be used in same sentence.

Cateye lights are very well made however - very sturdy and have very long run times. they're good lights if you just want something that blinks as long as you don't care about brightness.

if anybody is curious i can do a quick direct video comparison between my Cateye LD1100 and Dinotte by aiming both at the wall, but i warn you it will look as bad for the Cateye as this comparison to MonkeyLectric:

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Um, yeah, I was looking for something that was bright for under $30.

And I don't want that stupid USB charging nonsense that breaks easily.

And since when was the tl ld 1100 not bright? I have a tl ld 1000 and I have some Dinotte 400r's and while the tl ld is not as bright by a long shot, it's still bright enough to be seen during the day even with years worth of scratches all over it, and it was still VERY bright for its time. It was at one time the brightest tail lights available which is why I bought it.

mtbr member
    Um, yeah, I was looking for something that was bright for under $30.

And I don't want that stupid USB charging nonsense that breaks easily.

And since when was the tl ld 1100 not bright? I have a tl ld 1000 and I have some Dinotte 400r's and while the tl ld is not as bright by a long shot, it's still bright enough to be seen during the day even with years worth of scratches all over it, and it was still VERY bright for its time. It was at one time the brightest tail lights available which is why I bought it.
    Rapid3 is about twice as bright as the ld1100 and has a bigger hotspot too. Happily mounts to seatstays.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Rapid3 is about twice as bright as the ld1100 and has a bigger hotspot too. Happily mounts to seatstays.
    I just played the youtube vid of the Rapid3, looks about as bright as most other self-contained rear blinkies but offers different mounting options.

All said you really can't compare ANY self contained rear blinkie to either the DiNotte 400R or Daytime Red. That would be like comparing a High school football team to a pro football team. The new self-contained blinkies will get you seen and seen well. For most of us that's good enough.

mtbr member
    the Rapid seems to be a more recent light, so i believe that is much brighter.

however i don't like the silly multi-LED design - it, as always, offends my sensibilities.

they make those multi-LED tail lights for people who think that more is better. yes more lumens is better, but more LEDs is just useless size and weight, and typically lower performance because it is usually the most powerful LEDs that are most efficient.

what's the point ? get something like Cygolite Hotshot 2W. this multi-LED blinky stuff is a scam.

my Cateye LD1100 is so dumb i would smash it against the wall but maybe i'll give it away to somebody, or even sell it for 5 bucks or something.

the moronic LD1100 has two rows of LEDs that flash but not in synchrony ! can you believe this ? it also has id1otic patterns for the LEDs like it is a toy for children and not a safety device. just terrible.

get a good single LED blinky. forget Cateye nonsense. no need to get Dinotte if you don't want to, just don't get Cateye. Cateye tail lights are just ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Um, I like cateye. And stupid is using a flimsy connector that wasn't meant to be used in harsh conditions to charge a non replaceable battery.

I'll take the cateye.

And dude, take a chill pill or something, cus... you're getting weird, man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's worth checking out the Xeccon Geinea rear light before you make a decision. I just got one and I'll never go back to a self-contained unit. It's ridiculously powerful and not that much more money than the best rear Cateye.