mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Way too many options...??

Getting back into mtn biking after a 7-8 layoff. I have the old school dual beam, handlebar only mount Nite Rider with the 15 lb water bottle battery which was pretty much the only quality light system back then. Needless to say, that light has seen better days and my current bike doesn't even have water bottle mounts. Sooooo, I'm shopping for a new light system.

I've perused the posts on here until I was pretty much dizzy with the choices. I'm not going to ride often enough or in a gnarly enough location to need $600-700 worth of lights. That being said, I'd like to get a basic, reliable system for upcoming trips to Gooseberry and Sedona. I want to get a helmet light AND a handlebar mounted light. I looked at my local shop which only carries NiteRider and it looks like I can get (1) 350 and (1) 250 for $300 after taxes and a 15% discount. Knowing that is an option at $300, I'd like to spend no more than $350-375 for the (2) lights.

I use Baja Designs stuff on my dirt bikes and live within 10 miles of their shop but the mounting systems for their lights seem to get mixed reviews. I'm not a huge fan of the NiteRider helmet mount they showed me either. That Evolution gets great reviews but I'm unfamiliar with them and no shop I called has them either. I know I can mail order but wanted to check them out before plunking down $300+.

mtbr member
    I like Lupines, but I hear you on the cost.
    How about the Ay-up lights? Francois likes the lights and on another forum I belong to a guy was really happy with them. They come with two sets of lights. The V4 is a little more money than you wanted to spend, it's around 430.00US. They have a V-twin for less at around 250.00. With you budget you have almost endless choices.
    Here's Francois light shootout video on the V4.
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/ayup-v4...lights-review/

Here's his Light shootout, which you probably have looked at too.
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/2011-bike-lights-shootout/

Woody

mtbr member
    Double post
    Last edited by BeanMan; 03-24-2011 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    +1 for Ay-up lights. I am very happy with the Ayup light I have for my helmet. The Gecko helmet mount is first class, I wish I'd gotten a pair. The option to purchase a good strap that you can wear on your head for hikiing or camping is great since I hike at night a lot. Also, the ability to charge 12V is nice when you are camping.

Whatever you buy being able to purchase an affordable second battery is important. That rules out NR

mtbr member
    If you still have your old Niterider i would say trade that in for a Baja Designs Strykr for the bars and combo that with one of the Niteriders you were thinking about getting.

or just get 2 Minewt 350s

I have a friend who rides with 2 Minewt Minis, one on the helmet and one on the bars. Seems to do alright. Probably has just as much light as my older cateye combo.

Ibex Sports has the Exposure Diablo with blemish for $250. I missed out the last time they had the blemish sale. But unless you want to pay for a piggyback battery the run time will be short on high.

My night riding lights history:
    Niterider Trail Rat 2003-2005
    Cateye Double Shot and Triple Shot combo 2005-2011
    Magicshine still works... 2009-2011
    NEW Exposure Diablo and MaXx D =)

mtbr member
    You could go with a BikeRay I for the helmet and a BikeRay II for the bars. Should be close to $220 for both depending on shipping and what battery you order....or nix the BikeRay I and go with the new MJ 808E HA III with XM-L emitter ( MS type clone ) for the helmet for some super throw!

Dirt Deviant
    What about a BikeRay III for the bars?
    I personally have never seen any of the BikeRay lights in person, but I do know what kind of beam the triple optics and led puts out that they use in that light, and IMO it makes a great bar light.
    Toss something with a bit more throw on the helmet and you are good to go.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964
    Getting back into mtn biking after a 7-8 layoff. I have the old school dual beam, handlebar only mount Nite Rider with the 15 lb water bottle battery which was pretty much the only quality light system back then. Needless to say, that light has seen better days and my current bike doesn't even have water bottle mounts. Sooooo, I'm shopping for a new light system.

I've perused the posts on here until I was pretty much dizzy with the choices. I'm not going to ride often enough or in a gnarly enough location to need $600-700 worth of lights. That being said, I'd like to get a basic, reliable system for upcoming trips to Gooseberry and Sedona. I want to get a helmet light AND a handlebar mounted light. I looked at my local shop which only carries NiteRider and it looks like I can get (1) 350 and (1) 250 for $300 after taxes and a 15% discount. Knowing that is an option at $300, I'd like to spend no more than $350-375 for the (2) lights.

I use Baja Designs stuff on my dirt bikes and live within 10 miles of their shop but the mounting systems for their lights seem to get mixed reviews. I'm not a huge fan of the NiteRider helmet mount they showed me either. That Evolution gets great reviews but I'm unfamiliar with them and no shop I called has them either. I know I can mail order but wanted to check them out before plunking down $300+.
    Hey K2Rider1964, being as how you are local, if you'd like to swing by the plush and well appointed Baja Designs factory here in San Marcos, I can set you up with a set of Strykr bar and Strykr Pro helmet lights. I'd just loan you a couple of demos to try out, I think once I showed you how the mounts work I think your concerns would probably be resolved.

Not to mention that I could probably throw a Strykr Pro and hit you with it while I am sitting at my desk (not a Strykr though - I'm not strong enough), but seriously, I could probably get you a helmet and bar set up within or at least real darn close to your budget. Another BD benefit: I don't think anyone else in the industry has a lifetime warranty on the electronics and light head of their systems - we do that because we're pretty sure you'll never need to use that warranty, and if you do, I'll drop off the replacement system to you myself on the way home from work.

Anywho, if that sounds interesting at all, my email is Shannon@BajaDesigns.com, we also have a couple of demo rides that happen every week, you could try the lights out at one of the rides if you'd like a little companionship while you're light testing.

Check our Facebook page for ride info at: http://www.facebook.com/bajadesigns.bicycle

You are already a Baja Designs man, I'd like to try to keep it that way. I look forward to talking with you.

Shannon

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'd look at Dinotte Lighting. Especially compare their battery costs (the consumables) to that of other suppliers. Dinotte gives you a LOT of light for the money.

J.