mtbr member

VIDEO ( spoke lights ) Cateye Orbit vs MonkeyLectric Brightness Comparison

i just uploaded this:

mtbr member
    to be fair to the cateye it has some optics inside the LED that make the light come out mostly from the sides of the LED and not head-on, whereas the monkeylectric has no optics so light comes out mostly from the front. and maybe the cateye would be brighter with fresh batteries, but really - there is no comparison.

and bike after dark is about 5 times brighter than monkeylectric ...

aside from this cateye i also own their tail light - LD1100 and they share some characteristics. both are very heavy, large and both have incredibly long battery life, and are very DIM.

the only reason people buy cateye stuff is because they have no idea that there is better stuff out there.

i was driving through park slope the other night and that's an area of brooklyn that's like a mini san francisco: high-income ultra-liberal area where everybody is on bikes. most of the bikers there had enough intelligence to have a tail light, but wow their tail lights were so dim i couldn't believe it was even possible to be that dim. i mean my trek beacon bar end lights are brither than most of the tail lights i saw that day ( i probably passed about 20 bikes that day ). most of their lights were about as bright as pedal reflectors. is it really that hard to use THE INTERNET for people ?

i have to say the orbit has an impressively massive battery, and some creative optics to couple the LED to the silicone diffuser, but obviously the LED isn't driven very hard. that's because most people don't know where to buy button cells at a good price and it is much easier for the user to judge battery life than brightness so they drive the LED at very low level to impress people with battery life and deliver the abysmal brightness ( or should i say dimness ) that you saw.

the monkeylight uses the batteries more aggressively because most people know where to buy AA batteries or have rechargeable ones, and for those worried about battery life the monkey light has a low power mode.

people have this strange idea about safety lights ( not headlights ) that once you have a light you have a light - and it doesn't actually matter how bright or dim it is. i disagree. i think until your light is a bright as car lights you don't really have anything, at least not on most roads which have cars and street lights on them.

unfortunately it is very hard to find bright spoke lights, but the choice of bright tail lights is abundant, even in $30 range and remember - this was a middle class neighborhood where most people live in million dollar homes - yet most of them rode with lights that probably put out ONE lumen or so.

sometimes i just don't understand people ...