mtbr member

Verdict on best place to currently get duo clone?

So what is the verdict on the best place to get the highest quality duo clone?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Right now I'm thinking Fasttech as the best choice. I've noticed that D/X has a few offerings as well including a version with XM-L2 U3 ( not sure on the tint on that one)
    There are also lots of other two XM-L versions out there with optics. Are you looking for a light set ( lamp/battery ) or just the lamp. Hard to find just the lamp but sometimes if you send an e-mail off to the vendor they will give you an order number for just the lamp.

* Edit....Wow, I just noticed that D/X has a Duo clone that seems to have a "Stepless" ( ten mode ) menu in with the standard 4-mode set up...very interesting. This is an XM-L2 T6 version.

mtbr member
    Just a complete set...why not. This is a clone of the clone! Letterfire..who the heck comes up with these names

That one looks to have a battery case like the Kaidomain ones that you can replace the batteries.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Just a complete set...why not. This is a clone of the clone! Letterfire..who the heck comes up with these names

That one looks to have a battery case like the Kaidomain ones that you can replace the batteries.
    The Letterfire one I linked to was only listing the output at 1000 lumen. I didn't see that the first time. DX does have the standard Duo-clone ( 1200 lumen ) ( with XM-L U2 ) with one reviewer claiming to rate the battery to 4200mAh ...which is not too shabby.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The Letterfire bike light is the same one that I posted here as a clone of a clone, which i bought for around $30 light head only.

User review: YINDING YD-2XU2 (Gemini Duo clone)

I didnt know how to get the 10 modes to work until I read the link you posted Cat-man-do and it mentioned holding the button down for 10 seconds. the indicator changed to yellow and would flash and you can cycle through 10 modes.

couple of things I noticed when I pulled it apart was that the LED's were mounted on seams to be aluminium plates of some sort not a circuit board. There are also only 2 screws to access the internals which are above the mounting bracket.

Ill try and get some photos on the weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    here are some photo's (sorry about the crap quality)
    Attached Images Attached Images        

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think the reason were are seeing all these not-so-good versions of the clone is that the original manufacturer became overwhelmed with orders. They switched to lower quality, faster to produce parts, and are pumping these things out by the thousands. All of the big places, DX, fasttech, wallbuys etc. are getting these from the same manufacturer. So if you order the light now, you are most likely going to get the second-generation version of the light. I imagine the first gen is long gone, but there may be a few still hanging around.

What the main difference between the 2nd gen and 1st gen anyway? Is it just a substandard mount and different optics? They are switching around the battery connector also. From what others have posted, the optics can be easily switched out. Are the 2nd gen just as bright as the original?

The one thing that bugged me is that it's twice the cost of a solarstorm x2 lighthead. The cheapest I have seen is around $45. Is it really worth the extra money?

mtbr member
    So basically...it doesn't matter where I order it from then.....a Yinding is a Yinding apparently! Looks like you can get the one Wallbuys has for ~$43 with a 10% coupon code. Fasttech is a few dollars more, only could find a 5% code. I couldn't find any codes for DX so they end up being the most expensive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It's just a theory, don't hold me to it. It could be that some of the places have small stockpiles of the older version. Maybe they are using more than one manufacturer to fulfill orders. The substandard ones are coming from a second supplier? Who knows what really goes on over there.

Right now, we are coming up an Chinese holiday, so you won't be getting a light anytime soon anyway. Fasttech list a shipping eta of Feb 10.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I would also assume there is only one manufacturer. The light is only available at a handful of places (principally wallbuys, dx, and fasttech) The original black light went out of stock at the end of October for the above mentioned shops and then came back into stock in mid november. Also it has never been widely available hence its high cost compared to the Solarstorm. The solarstorm is clearly manufactured by a number of different places hences its low price and varying quality. If there were two manufacturer then we would expect to see some 2nd generations yindings (post nov 13) coming with the original mount, cable, optics and some with poor quality mounts, cable etc. This has not been the case from what i have seen on this forum.

I have the 2nd gen yinding and still think this a great light with a excellent body with good potential for modding. I plan to try some different optics once the new year holiday is over.

mtbr member
    When you go to check out on the Wallbuys site, there are several shipping choices...I have never ordered from any of these places before. Which one do you use..there are 4 of them that are free. Looks like EMS is the only one that says "usa only" when you hover over it. Any advice would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got my Yinding lights from Wallbuys (Oct) and Alliexpress (Dec). Both lights are of great quality and do not have the similar problems others are having. Both of my lights have the waterproof connector. The Wallbuys light has the XML U2 led (+battery pack) and the Alliexpress has the XML2 T6 led (light head only).

I have changed the optics for each usinga 10 deg and a 60 deg optics that I got from LEDDNA. So far so good.