Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    What surprises me is that some people don't seem to understand that when buying cloned lamps that nothing is set in stone. If you want something more concrete you buy a brand name lamp. Why do you think when the Yinding came out they were referred to as "Duo" clones? Didn't surprise me at all when the internal design was changed.
    basically this

some maker in china will tool up and produce 10,000 units and sell them and wait for another order

times goes by and returns come in, replacements go out

the maker then figures rework the returns and slap into the next 10,000 run. and continue to cut costs and cut costs forever.

only if a buyer demands quality and pays a premium will the maker put more effort in a production run, otherwise the lights start out as 'pretty good' and as time goes by they get diluted with junk. scraps get picked up by third parties and resold perpetually, including failed laptop battery packs which are reinvented into 3x and 4x18650 light battery packs.

you get what you pay for and the retail price for 'big name lights' is about market value for well constructed, tested, QC'ed, proper light systems. DX, alibaba, etc is the opposite end of the spectrum. chinese lights can be a total money saver but you cannot nor should you ever expect them to last long. always be prepared to mcguyver it, to keep it alive....or just order more cheap replacements periodically (what I am doing...sometimes you land on a light that really does it all for very lo bucks)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Has anybody tried this one? At least it looks interesting but how the quality is i don`t know...

New Generation XM L2 X2 CREE LED Bike Bicycle Light Headlight Cycling 5000LM | eBay

mtbr member

Re: User review: YINDING YD-2XU2 (Gemini Duo clone)

Quote Originally Posted by Belse View Post
    Has anybody tried this one? At least it looks interesting but how the quality is i don`t know...

New Generation XM L2 X2 CREE LED Bike Bicycle Light Headlight Cycling 5000LM | eBay
    Here are some threads on this light:
    New cheapo Chinese LED bike lights 2014 - please post info/link/review link here :)
    New 2x XML-2 on lightmalls
    Last edited by TiGeo; 08-21-2014 at 06:55 AM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just want to share the results on my Chinese Roulette Game. Placed an order on: Waterproof 2300LM 2X CREE XM L U2 LED Bicycle Light Rotatable Bike Light & 8.4V 4400mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack & Charger-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com Got a totally different thing.

Did not get the Yinding (as described), but another one from SecurityIng. Did not test it yet on the trails but it does look good. Neutral White indeed; 10 stepless mode and CE certification. Was afraid I would have to pay more when shipping it to Portugal, but did not because it was sent from Netherlands apparently and because it had CE all over the package. I don't have much to say right now, so please take a look at the pictures.

mtbr member
    I'd unscrew the mount and see if it's sealed under there. It isn't the model shown on alibaba with the front screws and the cable exiting separately with what looks like a waterproof fitting. The lightmalls clone had a barely water resistant (if at all) fitting that held the mount and cable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm not home right now, but will definitely open it up (also because I'll be using vancbiker's GoPro adapter). I'm just waiting for some other parts and the SS X2 before buying it from him...

mtbr member

User review: YINDING YD-2XU2 (Gemini Duo clone)

My yinding looks ok although the ano is scratched and it's missing orings to help keep the water out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

User review: YINDING YD-2XU2 (Gemini Duo clone)

http://youtu.be/aut4Ntx6F2s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi all I like to make my Yinding more of a spotlight as it on my lid. I looked at DX not that I like using them at Lens.

I don't know what size of plastic bits are I have in unit. Anyone changed got a link please.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what the size is, but I would check out LED DNA. TIP - Use coupon code BLF15 for 15% off your order. (I've purchased some of the XM-L optics which are currently $0.40/ea (not the $1.00 ones). Of course if these optics aren't the right size then this info is no good to you.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This is the one you want for a spot. You have to remove the white plastic bit for them to fit. I have bought and used the 10, 45 and 60 degree lenses from there and they work great to customize your beam pattern.

10 Degree 21mm Reflector Collimator LED Lens For Cree XML XM-L LED - LEDDNA

mtbr member
    I have a little project going on for which I will be taking comparison photos of different optics with a single XM-L2 and posting over at BLF. I can PM you the link when I get it posted. I do think the 10degree ones are what you want. And I would imagine somebody has posted beamshots comparing the different optics here on MTBR somewhere.
    -Garry

mtbr member

Found a great home for my Yinding....my road bike! Works great. Now that it is dark when I leave for mid-week rides.User review: YINDING YD-2XU2 (Gemini Duo clone)-uploadfromtaptalk1410438723847.jpg
    Last edited by TiGeo; 09-12-2014 at 10:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Anyone compare the Yinding to the Securitylng light? Thinking about getting one of these and the Securitylng is available on Amazon for $38 with free 2 day shipping. If the performance of the Amazon light is similiar to the Yinding I'll go with that one just for the quick shipping. Also easier to return it if there's a problem. I could care less about waterproofing. I don't ride in the rain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Garrybunk & Robs31 thanks for URL and code I now odder new lens
    mm may get another Yinding but like the look of the Ultrabright 3*Cree XM-L2 5-Mode what MK 96 posted.
    Last edited by Smoke&Lasers; 09-12-2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: don't know why there URl in post!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by slsl123 View Post
    Anyone compare the Yinding to the Securitylng light? Thinking about getting one of these and the Securitylng is available on Amazon for $38 with free 2 day shipping. If the performance of the Amazon light is similiar to the Yinding I'll go with that one just for the quick shipping. Also easier to return it if there's a problem. I could care less about waterproofing. I don't ride in the rain.
    Someone above had posted on the Securitying version.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ok, so I've been a long time lurker. This is my first time posting.

I've had my eye on the original Gimini Duo and Gloworm X2 for quite some time now, but have always been reluctant picking one up due to price.

So last week I stumbled across some of these clones on DX and ended up purchasing a Securitylng version off amazon for $39. Shipping was super fast (3days).

My main use will be for night skiing/snowboarding. I frequently ride in between lit runs in the trees where the snow is usually still untouched.

Everything works as expected. Although after disassembly i was a bit concerned about a few things (don't worry i wasn't expecting this to be a top notch unit, and figured it might need some tweaking )

First and foremost, I'm not to sure how long this unit will last given the poor heat management. The LED slug only really makes contact with the light body at the two screw down locations. It maybe makes a bit of contact on one side of the slug as you can see in the pictures. Ill be adding some thermal paste around the screw mounts to hopefully give it a tiny bit more heat transferability.

Second, obviously this isn't water proof and I probably wouldn't even call it water resistant. There's no O-ring in the back end and the giant open hole in the bottom where the mount attaches doesn't really help either. Ill try and find an O-ring for the back half. As for the hole on the bottom I was thinking about switching to "vancbiker's" aluminum GoPro mount possibly with some cooling fins milled into the side. Then seal it up with some silicone.

Not sure if i trust the battery or not. As you can see in the pics there is some sort of circuitry included, be it for charging or protection or both i don't know. It also looks like the individual cells may have protection as well (you can see what might look like a protection circuit on top of each cell). Either way i plan on using my 5Ah RC Lipo's with inline protection (still looking for a small circuit i can add inline).

Also, i couldn't get the power connector to fully seat. I ended up using some sandpaper to sand down the ridge a little bit. Snaps in like a charm now.

I'm quite happy with the selection of brightness modes though. Powered up, button lights up green and starts in the low brightness setting of the 3 main settings (low/med/hi). While in any one of those three brightness setting pressing and holding the button will enter into a more detailed menu with 10 brightness levels. If the light is off and you press and hold the button it will go into a steady flash mode.

I'll test the run time once i get some thermal paste.

Overall I'm quite happy for the price point. Even if it only lasts me a season or two.

On to the pics!

(Quick shipping from amazon, packaged well)

(Main brightness selection mode. low/med/hi)

(Sub brightness menu with 10 level settings)

(Giant hole in the bottom...)

(Two small set screws that hold the back end by pressure only...)

(Thin aluminum slug for heat dissipation)

(Back of the aluminum slug. As you can see it really only makes contact on one side, and barely at that)

(The two mounting surfaces for the slug, ill try and add some thermal paste here)

(4 cell pack. 2s/2p.)

(My RC Lipo which i plan on using)
    Last edited by Trevs; 11-11-2014 at 09:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Whoa! I literally just minutes ago took many of the same photos of my Kaidomain Duo clone! Mine is the same except that I have a different driver without the programmable modes. How much current does yours pull from the battery pack on high? Is yours an 8.4v or 4.2v version. Mine is 4.2v (threw me for a loop as I bought it head only) and won't even run on 8.4v.

For an idea on helping with the heatsinking, you could fill begind the emitter plate and up close to the driver with JB Weld (a permanent solution) or search BudgetLightForum.com for "Reversible Potting Option for drivers" or something like that. It uses silicon carbide mixed with "duct seal". That's my choice.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not sure about current draw yet. I'll be picking up a few supply's tomorrow (thermal paste and some new Anderson connectors). With the new connectors ill be able to connect to my existing lipo battery's as well as my inline Watt meter (reads voltage, amp draw, etc). I'm quite interested in finding out what the current draw is, i have a feeling that they are under powered. If they are using Cree XM-L die's they should be pulling close to 3amp's each...

4.2v? That seams a bit odd. Each LED is rated for 3amp's @ 3.1V

Can you post some of those pics you took?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    And thanks for the info on the reverse potting. Sounds like it might be a good option considering how poorly these LED's a set inside the housing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevs View Post
    Not sure about current draw yet. I'll be picking up a few supply's tomorrow (thermal paste and some new Anderson connectors). With the new connectors ill be able to connect to my existing lipo battery's as well as my inline Watt meter (reads voltage, amp draw, etc). I'm quite interested in finding out what the current draw is, i have a feeling that they are under powered. If they are using Cree XM-L die's they should be pulling close to 3amp's each...

4.2v? That seams a bit odd. Each LED is rated for 3amp's @ 3.1V

Can you post some of those pics you took?
    Actually, it is not that odd. It just means that his emitters are arranged in a parallel configuration. Your Securitying® lamp is likely using a board arranged in series. This is one of the reasons though that you have to read all the product descriptions when buying stuff from the Chinese web sites. If they don't list the battery or power requirements you have to send them an email to ask. While doing that you might ask them how the leds are configured as well. It can't hurt to ask, particularly if you are considering modding the lamp.

Since you mentioned being interested in the current draw it would be more interesting to know what current is being supplied by the driver to the emitters. You could find that out if you unsoldered one of the power wires coming off the driver and placed a multimeter ( set for DCamps ) in series. Turn the lamp on high and you will have an answer. That said I don't know why it would be important unless you plan on trying to alter the driver. While I've heard of people altering the sense resistors I'm not sure that is a good thing to do.

Anyway, I like the look of your Securitying® Duo clone lamp. I also like that it includes the variable output sub-mode for changing the mode outputs (if you choose to do that ).

A couple questions for you: How long did it take for you to get your lamp and where was it shipped from? Since you seem to have a nice camera, is there anyway you can include some outdoor beam shots?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I picked up the Securitying Duo clone light a couple months ago. I received mine in two days- I chose a seller that uses Amazon to fulfill the order. I think that may mean it ships from Amazons distribution center, whereever that may be. I returned it after giving it a quick test run. It throws a nice wide bright even beam with no hot spots. But when I tried to run the light on the highest brightness setting for more than 30 seconds or so the led would turn red and the light would dim. This was when riding on the road at about 15mph.

mtbr member
    Cheap powerful compact light. Too bad about the poor tint of the LEDs (too blue-ish for optimum detail on trails), poor heat sinking, garbage batteries and very poor waterproofing. Once I heat sinked mine, used my own battery pack, waterproofed it and changed the mount it's not bad, but I would need to change the LEDs to be happier. Still, it cost peanuts.
    Last edited by Ofroad'bent; 11-12-2014 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slsl123 View Post
    I picked up the Securitying Duo clone light a couple months ago. I received mine in two days- I chose a seller that uses Amazon to fulfill the order. I think that may mean it ships from Amazons distribution center, whereever that may be. I returned it after giving it a quick test run. It throws a nice wide bright even beam with no hot spots. But when I tried to run the light on the highest brightness setting for more than 30 seconds or so the led would turn red and the light would dim. This was when riding on the road at about 15mph.
    Sounds like a bad driver. Did you have a problem getting it replaced?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Sounds like a bad driver. Did you have a problem getting it replaced?
    Or poor heatsinking? Mine (KD) ran fine for the few minutes that I used it taking beamshots and playing around with it.

Pics will follow later when I get more time.

-Garry

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast