Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Ok, some pics of my KD Duo/YingDing clone. As I said previously, mine internally (except driver) looks like Trevs's in post #192. My driver runs on 4.2v input. I tried 8.4v input and the battery level indicator just flashes red-green-red-green, etc. . . . light won't turn on or do anything else at all. Current draw on 4.2v battery (with thick leads, which made a big difference in output) was:

Off: 0.013A
    Low: 0.51A - 28%
    Med: 1.23A - 68%
    High: 1.795A - 100% (so about 0.9A +/- per LED)

Someone posted this mode change behaviour previously on MTBR, but I can't remember where and which light. When you change modes the light actually dims very slightly and then "ramps" up in brightness quickly until the next mode level is reached. Off happens instant though. Modes are: Off-Low-Med-High-Off. Press-n-hold for strobe.

TIR lenses from LED-DNA are interchangeable once removed from the white holder

Pics:

Beamshots:

Low:

Medium:

High:

So even though I felt it was under-driven, the beam on high doesn't look so bad. I think I will still resistor mod it for a little more output and address the lack of heatsinking.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Garry, do you have the 10-step mode on yours? 4.2v would be of interest to me- I have a ton of good battery packs for that voltage. Link to the light on KD?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    No, mine is not the programmable driver (press-n-hold no matter how long from any mode goes to "strobe"). Link to the one I bought is here. The KD pics show the button on the left, but mine is on the right (like in the other colored light choices).

I'm looking for suggestions on 4.2v battery pack / holder (for my own individual cells) ideas - got any?

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Sounds like a bad driver. Did you have a problem getting it replaced?
    I didn't replace it - I just assumed it was a POS and returned it for a refund.

mtbr member
    WTF with the pic size?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    No, mine is not the programmable driver (press-n-hold no matter how long from any mode goes to "strobe"). Link to the one I bought is here. The KD pics show the button on the left, but mine is on the right (like in the other colored light choices).

I'm looking for suggestions on 4.2v battery pack / holder (for my own individual cells) ideas - got any?

-Garry
    I buy 1S packs (4.2v) from Hunk Lee on eBay- I think his store is All-Battery. He makes them up with genuine panasonic 18650B 3400maH batteries and supplies good connectors. I have 1-cell, 2-cell and 4-cell versions.

I seal them in self fusing silicone tape, then armour them with heat-shrink tubing. For adventure racing I double-waterproof them with a dab of plasti-dip on the seams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    WTF with the pic size?
    Huh? Mine? What's wrong?

-Garry

mtbr member

-Garry
    Garry, KD sells other lamps that use an input voltage of 4.2 volts. Those are sold using this 4-cell holder. Word of warning though, I bought a similar two cell holder to power my phone from KD. These are cheap pieces of crap. Not that they won't work but you might have a problem using better cells that take up more room. Hopefully I'm wrong about that as these are not the same as mine but at least you have an option. On the up side the holder lets you plug in your lamp and has an additional outlet for charging a phone. Note that the output current is limited to 4A on the bike output side. Anyway mine won't do any of that. Mine is just a two 18650 cell phone charger.

Option two is to get a custom battery built from Hunk Lee or buy a 4.2 volt battery from a site like BatterySpace. FWIW, KD does sell another lamp just like yours but works off of the standard 8.4 volt battery.

edit; BTW, judging from the photos the output doesn't look too bad for less than 1A per led. At that level I don't think you need to worry about heat sinking too much.

edit #2; Doh! I almost forgot, When you do beam shots across a grassy surface the result will always look better than what you see while on a darker/dirt surface. Also applies for paved surfaces as well. Just thought I needed to point that out.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 11-12-2014 at 04:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Actually, it is not that odd. It just means that his emitters are arranged in a parallel configuration. Your Securitying® lamp is likely using a board arranged in series. This is one of the reasons though that you have to read all the product descriptions when buying stuff from the Chinese web sites. If they don't list the battery or power requirements you have to send them an email to ask. While doing that you might ask them how the leds are configured as well. It can't hurt to ask, particularly if you are considering modding the lamp.

Since you mentioned being interested in the current draw it would be more interesting to know what current is being supplied by the driver to the emitters. You could find that out if you unsoldered one of the power wires coming off the driver and placed a multimeter ( set for DCamps ) in series. Turn the lamp on high and you will have an answer. That said I don't know why it would be important unless you plan on trying to alter the driver. While I've heard of people altering the sense resistors I'm not sure that is a good thing to do.

Anyway, I like the look of your Securitying® Duo clone lamp. I also like that it includes the variable output sub-mode for changing the mode outputs (if you choose to do that ).

A couple questions for you: How long did it take for you to get your lamp and where was it shipped from? Since you seem to have a nice camera, is there anyway you can include some outdoor beam shots?
    Just because it's possible doesn't make it not odd.

It's odd because the original versions (Gemini Duo, Lupine Piko, Gloworm X2 as well as most other clones with two emitters that i am aware of are all in series requiring 8.4V).

I'm interested in the overall amp draw as i have a feeling the emitters are being under powered therefor not providing full brightness. Wouldn't you be interested in finding out if something you purchased wasn't performing to it's advertised potential?

And yes i will be connecting a DC amp meter in series with the emitters to determine current draw. I will also be connecting an amp meter in series with the battery and driver to see what losses are across the driver.

Shipping was discussed in my original post. Took 3 days from amazon to deliver within the USA.

No beam shots yet but its comparable to the first shot in post#88

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Garry

Try "batteryspace". I've purchased a few batteries from them with excellent results.

Also if you ever end up going with a 8.4v head i highly recommend "SPC Racing's" LiPo batteries. Extremely well priced and excellent quality.

mtbr member
    Cat - I'll have a look at your link in a bit. 4A capable would be plenty for this light
    About the beamshots, yeah I didn't really have the time to get my usual "wooded trail" shots. I take the open grass shots more to compare beam patterns, and then the wooded trail shots for a more realistic representation. I'll see if I can grab those wooded shots in the next couple days.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Garry, about that link; Looks like the batteries come with the holder but there's no way to tell if the holder actually opens. I see no screws on front or back. Could be the outer part just slides over one end like the one I have does. I'd ask their client service before buying one. If it does slide over one end that is not a good sign. With the one I have I couldn't use it with the better Panasonic cells because the cells were too long to fit. Even with the 2600mAh Ultrafire cells that did fit the sleeve would rub against the cells ( tearing the wrapping on the cells ). They worked but I surely wouldn't want to keep removing them as doing so was a complete PITA. Hopefully these are better.

mtbr member
    And if it includes cells it'll be on the slower boat from China to get it! We'll see. I'm not in a rush. And if it has screws, they could only handle so many removals before wearing out.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Actually, it is not that odd. It just means that his emitters are arranged in a parallel configuration.
    Yep, you can see the extra trace between the LEDs. This is pretty poor design unless they are under driving the LEDs. Mine doesn't get used much on hight anyway.

Anyone selling just light heads? I really like the beam and form factor but would like to mod with a decent driver.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I think Hunk Lee's store is called FMABattery. He can do custom packs ifyou ask him, but shipping is slow from HK now as they don't like to allow Li-ions on air cargo to N.America. Worth the wait though- good packs with genuine cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    I buy 1S packs (4.2v) from Hunk Lee on eBay- I think his store is All-Battery. He makes them up with genuine panasonic 18650B 3400maH batteries and supplies good connectors. I have 1-cell, 2-cell and 4-cell versions.

I seal them in self fusing silicone tape, then armour them with heat-shrink tubing. For adventure racing I double-waterproof them with a dab of plasti-dip on the seams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Yep, you can see the extra trace between the LEDs. This is pretty poor design unless they are under driving the LEDs. Mine doesn't get used much on hight anyway.

Anyone selling just light heads? I really like the beam and form factor but would like to mod with a decent driver.
    Yes, mine was light head only, link in post #203 above.

-Garry

mtbr member
    If only they could get a system where you click to increase brightness and hold longer to decrease, rather than having to scroll all the way up to get to the low setting, and if they offered a neutral or warmer tinted light...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm a newbie to these lights but bought one from Fasttech last season on the back of the reviews here. Unfortunately over the summer I lost the charger for it, so I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me some tips on what I need to replace it.

I've looked at the page for my original purchase and it seems the charger unit that shipped with the order was rated as below:
    AC adapter: AC 100-240V / 50/60Hz input, DC 8.4V / 1000mA output, cable length 110cm
    The battery pack is a 4x18650 setup.

I've since bought a new charger online which I thought matched the above specs (though it was rated DC 9V). When I connected the charger to the battery (before connecting it to the mains) the charger LED went green, which I thought was a bit odd. Unfortunately, I then plugged it into the wall but after about 1 min there was a pop/flash and the fuse blew. So it is apparent to me that power is flowing in the wrong direction from the battery to the charger.... I went to Maplin and they tried the battery pack on their chargers but the same thing happened, with the battery lighting up the charger LED.

Really want to get the light going again for this winter without blowing something up or damaging the battery pack - so any advice would be much appreciated!

mtbr member
    They're fairly cheap, buy another and then you have a spare battery and lamp.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thewrightone View Post
    Really want to get the light going again for this winter without blowing something up or damaging the battery pack - so any advice would be much appreciated!
    You'll need any lithium 8.4 Volt charger with appropriate connectors, for example like this one:
    SingFire EU2-85525 EU Plug Power Adapter DC5.5 x 2.5mm - Black (116cm / AC 100~240V ) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Do not try to use anything not explicitly designed for lithium batteries, or with end charging voltage other than 8.4 Volt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    You'll need any lithium 8.4 Volt charger with appropriate connectors, for example like this one:
    SingFire EU2-85525 EU Plug Power Adapter DC5.5 x 2.5mm - Black (116cm / AC 100~240V ) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Do not try to use anything not explicitly designed for lithium batteries, or with end charging voltage other than 8.4 Volt.
    I would avoid DX for chargers... they plug in to mains and there is a fire risk....

Get it from a more reputable source:
    Action-LED-Lights — Magicshine MJ-6012 - 1.8A Charger

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This MagicShine charger is also powered directly from mains, and at least formerly some MS chargers were reported to catch fire.

As for DealExtreme chargers, I have plenty of them (as well as ones sourced from FastTech, LightMalls, KaiDomain, eBay etc.) and never had a problem.

IMHO, the level of safety is approximately the same for all cheap Chinese chargers, and Magicshine is no exception regardless of where you've bought it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Cheers for the prompt and comprehensive replies - looks like it was the Li-ion charger bit that I was missing.

As the original reply stated, I was tempted to just buy another light set to have a spare since they are that cheap!....... In the end though, I've gone for a replacement charger with UK plug this time around.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long to arrive and I can get some confidence back on the nighttime roads of London.

mtbr member
    Huh? Mine? What's wrong?

-Garry
    They are 4000x3000 pixels, takes up 2x24" monitors wide if you have the "Wide" preference at the bottom of the page selected. Re-sized to 800x600 would be plenty. With "Fixed" selected, they appear more like 480x360

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    They are 4000x3000 pixels, takes up 2x24" monitors wide if you have the "Wide" preference at the bottom of the page selected. Re-sized to 800x600 would be plenty. With "Fixed" selected, they appear more like 480x360
    They show up small for me on the forum. Are you viewing the original? Or am I missing something with forum viewing settings?

Nevermind - I see now. "Wide" doesn't seem to display well for me, even for other's posts so I won't even use it.

I don't like to resize my original images and I don't see settings to control image display size in the editor.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So I have a question about this light.

How much brighter do U all think the Glowworm X2 is. I was looking at this and thinking I would use this on the helmet w/ a 2 cell battery and just get a second 2 cell for back up. I'm planning attaching the battery to the back of the helmet or top but near the back. Would U consider the beam spot or flood.

Thx

mtbr member
    They show up small for me on the forum. Are you viewing the original? Or am I missing something with forum viewing settings?

Nevermind - I see now. "Wide" doesn't seem to display well for me, even for other's posts so I won't even use it.

I don't like to resize my original images and I don't see settings to control image display size in the editor.

-Garry
    Unfortunately this forum doesn't have automatic resizing script. Just set your camera to take a smaller sized pic, or it alternatively it takes literally 2 seconds even in Windows Paint to resize(click the resize button, pick pixels or percentage, select amount(20% would be perfect for your photos), click OK), much preferred to ****ing up the rest of the thread. It's not like these photos are gonna win prizes. Wide is preferred especially in the Passion thread where there's some great photographers like mikesee that resize their shots perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    After waiting 12 days I got my new Yinding today.
    It works really nice, only the cable is too short, as I want to place the battery in a bag under my saddle. But this is no problem...
    I also have 10 new Samsung 18650 2000mah cells here and now i am looking for the best (and cheapest) way to use them.
    I really read a lot and found two ways:

1. Buy a battery case/battery holder for two or four cells and a charger for 18650 cells and charge them seperate.

2. Buy a lipo charger(like imax b6), some balancer leads(2s) and xt60 plugs and build five 2s packs (or one big 2s2p + 3 2s packs

I would prefer 1., if I could get this really nice battery case for 2 cells, made by Fenix. I was searching for hours, wrote to dealers, but nobody has it or a similar case for 2 cells.

Now I like the second solution, because I think the lipo charger can be used for sooo many different types and I could set the max voltage to 4.10 or 4.15V to extend the lifetime....but it would need some time to build five 2s packs. (or one 2s2p and three 2s)

What do you think?

[edit] Is it right that you have to unplug the battery otherwise the green LED shines all the time?
    Last edited by Andreas H; 08-02-2015 at 03:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I took the front off mine yesterday to have a nosey inside it, and the black o-ring that seals the front to the back is split and pinged off. Does anyone know the dimensions so I can order another?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345