Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Seems all the places are out of the ~$50 and now its ~$80....that is Gemini territory (light head only...which is all you are really getting here).
    Looks like it is back in stock. Head unit only, no battery

Free shipping 1Set CREE XML2 T6 3B Bike Light 1600lm Waterproof Bicycle Light LED HeadLamp+ Charger (without battery)-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

mtbr member
    Still....$65 head only...the 2013 Duo (head only) is not that much more.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Still....$65 head only...the 2013 Duo (head only) is not that much more.
    Considering the difference in price, the difference in the two vendors and the product differences I'd go with Gemini Duo from Action LED. The Aliexpress price is way too much for a lamp without battery. Duo clone ( lamp only ) should not be more than $40 tops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    wallbuys has these clones

battery + light 48 bucks free ship

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    wallbuys has these clones

battery + light 48 bucks free ship

Link?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Considering the difference in price, the difference in the two vendors and the product differences I'd go with Gemini Duo from Action LED. The Aliexpress price is way too much for a lamp without battery. Duo clone ( lamp only ) should not be more than $40 tops.
    The aliexpress does have the newer L2 led's. I purchased this and will be interested to see how it compares to my original duo ( 2013 model), in terms of brightness and efficiently.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    $46.46 Yinding 2 x CREE XM-L U2 1800LM 4-Mode White LED Bike Light / Headlamp-Red(4x18650)

click OTHER and you can find black and blue as well

they got this to me in US in 14 days exactly

can track shipment here (any china ship track)
    International Track and Trace service

Wallbuys doesn't have problems shipping batts
    Battery can ship normally
    1.Now Battery can ship normally,u can buy it from now on

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    The aliexpress does have the newer L2 led's. I purchased this and will be interested to see how it compares to my original duo ( 2013 model), in terms of brightness and efficiently.
    The MTBR shootout measured the 2013 Duo at 1100 lumens and the 2014 at 1200, so that might be just barely perceptible. It would be interesting to see the runtime difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Action has the 2013 Due (XML U2) for ~$70 + shipping so call it $75.
    Speaking of links, do you have one for this deal? When I check the ActionLed site, I see the same that Kir does. $93.00 for the head only ... I'd certainly think about picking one up at the lower price.

mtbr member
    There is a 10% off code...can't post link from phone but you just need to look at their main page and there is a link off it for their clearance stuff...code is in there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ah, gotcha, thanks! Price + shipping is around $85.00, but still a pretty great deal.

mtbr member
    I must have mistyped..sorry about that..you are correct.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

www.hahntronix.com
    Nice review.

I know a bit about designing LED drivers, so thought I'd add my 2 cents worth:

1 - driver board is very well laid out, quality of soldering is the best I've seen in an inexpensive light from China.

2 - Driver chip should allow higher voltage power supplies, but I'm not sure of the voltage of some of the other parts. One of my projects over the xmas holidays will be to solder on some different components and see if I can run the light on 11.1 and 14.8 volt battery packs. The voltage sensor in the light may be modifiable to work with other voltages. Google for SM5241 if interested in chip specs. Datasheet is in Chinese, anybody care to translate?

3 - current sense resistor is a lower power rating than I would choose. I want to experiment with some different sized ones rated at a watt or so. On the plus side sense resistor is soldered to two fairly big copper planes that should help dissipate heat.

4 - I'm not seeing a temperature sensor on the driver board (to dim LEDs if they get too hot. Could be one built into the microcontroller (on side of board with push button, could be a Microchip PIC). Thermal path from housing to board not very good. I will add some thermally conductive glue and see if lights get dim when housing is hot.

5 - my light came with perhaps a bit too much heat conductive paste between LED board and housing (your pictures looked like yous had a bit less). If you get one of these lights and the housing takes more than a minute or so to heat up when running on high, open it up and remove some of the paste with a Q-tip. Spread what's left in a thin layer on back of LED board and on housing. Keep paste away from hole for LED wires. Press board down and wiggle/slide back and forth before putting bolts back in. A thinner layer of paste will conduct heat better. I will probably experiment with using a thermal epoxy to see if that works better.

6 - battery pack and charger not the greatest. I did not open the battery up but it looks like a low quality Magicshine pack from the outside. It has worked pretty well on a few test rides, but I never trust stuff like this till I open it up. The charger looks well laid out and soldering looks pretty decent. It does get warm during charging, so that always bothers me. It does not have an isolation transformer, so this will probably never get UL listed :-) I bought one of these:

PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

and it works with light and some higher quality 18650 batteries I have. The down side to this is you need to buy 4 batteries, the holder, and a charger. But you get around charge balance issues and can use good quality batteries instead of unknown quality batteries. I'm using batteries with a built in protection PCB. There is probably not a protection PCB in the battery holder so be careful if using unprotected cells.

This seems like a well designed, well produced light. I will try to generate a schematic and report on my experiments over or after the holidays (my schedule till then is pretty full).

mhahn
    Nimium est melior!

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Fixed one small error in electronics section, added beam profile to compare beam and color temperature.
    Finally found a good dark place near my home so I'll start adding beamshots to my reviews. They will be made from cellphone so don't expect great quality...I can't carry my DSLR on my bike so thats the best that I can do right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhahn@hvc.rr.com View Post
    4 - I'm not seeing a temperature sensor on the driver board (to dim LEDs if they get too hot. Could be one built into the microcontroller (on side of board with push button, could be a Microchip PIC). Thermal path from housing to board not very good. I will add some thermally conductive glue and see if lights get dim when housing is hot.
    Mine drops to half power when the case is around 70C (which doesn't take long on the bench).
    Its jumps up and down for a bit before throttling back continuously so no hysteresis on the thermal monitoring.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    I just did some research, seems that the best deal going currently is at wallbuys with a 11% coupon code so $43 with battery etc.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    11% coupon code?

mtbr member
    Yep Kir, got it from retailmenot..I plugged it to test and it worked. Code is WALLBUYSALLMAGIC

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Great, thanks for info. This is the best deal atm and since they're using Malaysia/Switzerland post they will send it with battery too.

mtbr member
    I really think I will "pull the trigger" for $45 just to have a different light to mess around with for my bar.

mtbr member
    Sweet deal for 43$.

mtbr member
    A summary of where to get the yinding. I checked all of the following sites for this light:

fasttech
    dx
    wallbuys
    aliexpress
    kaidomain
    lightmalls
    ebay
    amazon

They all had it except for kaidomain and lightmalls; ebay and amazon have it listed for much more $$ than the others ($60-70 range). It appears from reading all of these threads that only aliexpress has the upgraded xm-l2 version; the rest are are xml u2. Wallbuys has the lowest price ($43 w/coupon code). I can't find any true light-head only options; the ones that don't come with a battery are that way due to shipping issues. Anybody else want to add to this that has done some searching around?
    Last edited by TiGeo; 11-23-2013 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It appears from reading all of these threads that only fasttech has the upgraded xm-l2 version; the rest are are xml u2.
    ??????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    ??????
    ??????

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I mean...where do you see Fasttech having XML2 Yinding?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast