Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766

    S-12 Rain test Continued

    I finally got the video to upload although it got a bit jumbled during the upload. It was only a couple minutes long. Something is better than nothing I suppose....

    S-12 shower 01 video by catmando55 - Photobucket


    No problems occurred during the second rain simulation test. The only thing I noticed is that water does seem to get inside the plug connectors somehow although not enough to have any effect on the lamp or battery. Afterwards I did manage to get the back of the battery plug off. The photo is just to show how it works. No water got inside the battery outer covering. The covering looks very rubbery. The plug is notched making it very hard for water to get in. The second picture is a comparison of the plugs/wires vs. the BR/MS type plugs/wires. Like I mentioned before the Xeccon wires are a little thicker and seem more flexible ( IMO ).




  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    66
    Thank you for the great review. It would be great if you could post some beam shots of the MS808e with the S12 - preferably side- by-side. There were some in another post but not good enough for a comparison.

    I am thinking of buying a S12 for a helmet light. I have a Piko 3 (750lm) but would like to get more throw.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by juergenor View Post
    Thank you for the great review. It would be great if you could post some beam shots of the MS808e with the S12 - preferably side- by-side. There were some in another post but not good enough for a comparison.

    I am thinking of buying a S12 for a helmet light. I have a Piko 3 (750lm) but would like to get more throw.
    Indeed. I will do that and more. I held off doing the beam shots because for me they are the hardest thing to arrange. I live in a city. Everywhere there are pole lamps. This makes finding an easily accessible secluded dark area very hard to do. The police are everywhere and they like to check these secluded areas. I've had run-ins before so I need to find a place where I can get set-up without drawing a lot of attention. Where I live that is not easy to do. Unfortunately the place I use to use for beam shots has too much police presence now. The other place I used now has parking lot pole lights close enough to interfere with the light test.

    Tonight I went out with the intent to do some quick beam shots. I brought the following equipment along; Camera, tripod, box for tripod, small ladder, bike lights, bottles for distance marking.
    Since I am testing this lamp as a "helmet lamp" I want to have the lamp mounted (or held ) head high. To give the viewer the same view I have to get the camera set-up at the same height, hence the " tripod on box " set-up. I drove around for a least an hour and just couldn't find a suitable spot, a real bummer that is.

    Next week I'll be off from work. That should give me the time I need to drive somewhere that I can get set-up and work in peace.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    66
    Thanks - hope you have more luck next week. Again - thank you for your effort.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766

    Beam Shots from the hood

    Well I finally found a place near me to work but happens to be near a local hood. I kept expecting the police to show up at any time to run my off but thankfully that didn't happen.
    My camera is a real PITA to work with. I lost the software disc years ago and since I have a new computer I have trouble trying to transfer photos over to my computer without the software. I really do need a new camera though as the one I have ( Sony Cyber-shot 2.1 ) only has one night setting.

    Anyway only two of the photos turned out. It is hard to do beam photos involving any kind of distance because the camera really struggles to gather light. Not to mention the viewing screen is almost unusable which makes aiming the camera very difficult. For the time being these photos will have to do till I get better equipment. Sorry but the low mode photo for the S-12 didn't turn out well so I have to redo that some time later.

    The set-up: The camera is mounted on a tripod and sitting on a plastic shelving box to give it height similar to someone using the light on the helmet. This puts in about 6 ft. off the ground. The lamp is mounted just below the camera about 6 inches. I used 1 liter Pespi bottles as road markers. They are set at 100ft, 150ft and 2 at 200ft. respectively. I am aiming both the S-12 and the MagicShine 808E at the two bottles at the 200 ft. mark. You should be able to get an idea of the difference as the S-12 can reach beyond the 200ft markers ( although the camera does a lousy job of showing it ) ** to view the photos it is better to turn the lights off in the room. Believe me this helps.

    First photo: S-12 with XM-L U2
    Second photo: MagicShine 808E with XML T6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails User Review: Xeccon S-12 ( Cree U2 )-s-12highbeami.jpg  

    User Review: Xeccon S-12 ( Cree U2 )-ms-high-01.jpg  


  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766

    Beams Shots adjusted

    Folks, I'm really not satisfied with how the beam shots turned out. My camera sucks. The photos are too grainy in my opinion. Not the first time I've had to deal with this issue but in the future I'll be shopping for a new camera.

    To help clear the photos up I went back and sharpened them using Adobe Photo shop. Both pictures I added 40of sharpness. No brightness or color correction was added. The sharpness alone makes the photos look brighter. I tried using the auto color correction feature but that ended up making the photos look way brighter than they actually were. Still, with just the graininess removed the photos are truer to life. ( *note: I left the original photo's up for comparison )

    Just remember, unlike most photos you see on MTBer, these are aimed for maximum distance throw so there's not a lot of close in light. Before you start thinking the results are still not impressive just remember in actual use I am using a Gloworm X2 as a bar light in combo. With both lights in combo the cumulative effect of both on at the same time is quite impressive even at the 200ft. range.

    ( Bottles placed at 100ft...150ft. and two at 200ft. )

    Photo #1) S-12 on high ( sharpened )
    photo#2) MagicShine 808E on high, ( sharpened )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails User Review: Xeccon S-12 ( Cree U2 )-s-12-high-sharpened.jpg  

    User Review: Xeccon S-12 ( Cree U2 )-ms-high-sharpened.jpg  


  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    66
    Thanks for your effort - I can see the difference. Looks like a great helmet light.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766
    I took the S-12 out tonight while testing another lamp on the bars. As usual the S-12 continues to impress me with it's ability to throw distance. I really wouldn't have bothered posting this but when I got back to the car I tried aiming the S-12 at one of the soccer goal posts close to where I had parked my car. The soccer field was down a slight ravine more than a hundred feet away from where I was parked. Part of of the field was lit from the ambient light of the street lamps in the parking lot but the far goal was in darkness. Just for kicks I decided to see if the S-12 could reach the far goal from where I was standing.....

    *That goal must of been over 400 ft. away but damn if it didn't reach. Not real bright mind you but I could see the white goal post and the grass in front of the goal. Not bad for a lamp under $100 USD. ( * conditions were primo...no ground fog and the air was clear with 74% humidity )

  9. #34
    mountain biker
    Reputation: slyfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    522
    Hey guys,

    Just a question about the indicator at the back of the lighthead: does it change colour as it draws down it's charge. Mine stays green most of the time, even after a two hour ride. I'm guessing it's not still fully charged, so I'm also guessing it doesn't change colours as the charge dwindles. But I still wanted to check.

    Great light by the way. Very nice throw, very nice colour, well sorted package, and Lennard at mtbrevolution was great to deal with. thumbs up all around.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    76
    Yes it changes colour. Green, then blue, then red. I haven't done a rundown test, so I can't give you accurate timings.

    The torch for my bars (ordered before the S-12) arrived a week after the Xeccon. I took them both out on my regular cross-country trail. I did lots of shine around, test the throw of one, then the other, try out different beam shot locals, etc. They were both running on high for roughly about the same amount of time.

    Got myself in a bit of a pickle by striking out on virgin territory. Tried to take a short cut back to a known, "9 km to home" spot, but found a previously open gate locked. I couldn't find my way back through the waist high grass, and was trapped between two fence lines, and a swamp. I got kind of disorientated, went in circles, and ended up back at the gate more than once. I know I was running the lights on low for a while, to conserve power. Was seriously considering that my next purchase should be a GPS, when I finally found my way back out.

    Just when I got back to pavement, the torch did it's flash and step down to low. I took off the helmet to check the S-12. It was running on blue. Less than 5 minutes down the road, the S-12 did it's flash & step down. Took off the helmet, and sure enough it was red.

    When the step-downs happened, I couldn't help but think "What if I hadn't found my way out?" (Answer - Would have had to leave the bike, and climbed the eight foot, barbed wire topped fence)

    I know I was gone for about 3.25 hrs total, and the step-downs were about 20 minutes from home. Like I said, not exactly a constant high beam.

    I've seen a few blues and reds since then. I've just never noted when it went from green to blue.
    Last edited by Ian_C; 11-03-2012 at 01:44 AM.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Mine stays green most of the time, even after a two hour ride. I'm guessing it's not still fully charged, so I'm also guessing it doesn't change colours as the charge dwindles.
    Hey Sly, yes, it changes colors like Ian said. We've done runtime/rundown test on the S12 U2 before and got 3 hours 15 mins average. The switch indicator lights start changing in the table below attached as a picture.

    Using my personal Xeccon 4400mAh batteries (about 2 months old) I ran 2 lights with them and using a Xeccon 6600mAh ( about 3 weeks old) to run another. Test set up in the picture below the rundown table.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Less than 5 minutes down the road, the S-12 did it's flash & step down. Took off the helmet, and sure enough it was red.
    Hi Ian, sorry to hear about you getting lost in a night ride. GPS is a good idea but spare battery is needed if you plan to explore.

    Xeccon lights are designed to strobe 3 times when the color indicator changes. This gives the rider fair warning on the status of the battery. Are you sure it stepped down when it went from blue to red? We have not witnessed a step down in the test we've done including the one tonight using a Galaxy Tab for video and Replay XD for time lapse pictures at 30 second intervals. Please let me know if yours does. It should only do that if it's on thermal protection.

    Leonard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails User Review: Xeccon S-12 ( Cree U2 )-s12-indicator-lights.jpg  

    User Review: Xeccon S-12 ( Cree U2 )-bike-light-burntime-test-2-600.jpg  

    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Yes it changes colour. Green, then blue, then red. I haven't done a rundown test, so I can't give you accurate timings.

    The torch for my bars (ordered before the S-12) arrived a week after the Xeccon. I took them both out on my regular cross-country trail. I did lots of shine around, test the throw of one, then the other, try out different beam shot locals, etc. They were both running on high for roughly about the same amount of time.

    Got myself in a bit of a pickle by striking out on virgin territory. Tried to take a short cut back to a known, "9 km to home" spot, but found a previously open gate locked. I couldn't find my way back through the waist high grass, and was trapped between two fence lines, and a swamp. I got kind of disorientated, went in circles, and ended up back at the gate more than once. I know I was running the lights on low for a while, to conserve power. Was seriously considering that my next purchase should be a GPS, when I finally found my way back out.

    Just when I got back to pavement, the torch did it's flash and step down to low. I took off the helmet to check the S-12. It was running on blue. Less than 5 minutes down the road, the S-12 did it's flash & step down. Took off the helmet, and sure enough it was red.

    When the step-downs happened, I couldn't help but think "What if I hadn't found my way out?" (Answer - Would have had to leave the bike, and climbed the eight foot, barbed wire topped fence)


    I know I was gone for about 3.25 hrs total, and the step-downs were about 20 minutes from home. Like I said, not exactly a constant high beam.

    I've seen a few blues and reds since then. I've just never noted when it went from green to blue.
    I guess you learned "The lesson" that night time is not the time to be exploring new trails. Been there, done that so I know the feeling. Strange isn't it what happens when you start to panic. Suddenly you find it hard to sense direction. In times like that just having a compass and a map can be a saving grace.

    On one of my rides from yesteryear I was doing a planned epic ride ( ~35 miles previously unexplored ) that was not expected to end at night. Nevertheless I brought my old niterider 10watt halogen along just in case ( yes, the old days of halogen ). The ride was through mountainous territory and I was using the local maps. In my case the maps were accurate so no big problem there however it was a long ride with lots of climbing. Just before the half-way point ( after the longest climb ) I noticed my water was extremely low and I was extremely thirsty...not a good thing when you know you still have another 15 or so miles to go while riding along a mountain ridge.

    If being dehydrated wasn't bad enough I realized the sun was beginning to set and I really didn't want to be caught back in the woods with just the single halogen with a battery that probably only had a half charge on it.

    Thankfully it was not a real hot day. That helped. Still I was hungry, dehydrated and racing the sun. Just as I was about to close on an important trail juncture I ran into an unexpected obstacle....a very large timber rattle snake that was sitting on the edge of a very narrow slice of single track. I was at the pinnacle of the ride. Heavy brush ( like I've never seen before ) lined both sides of the trail as far as the eye could see. Absolutely no way to walk around it.

    Nothing like having to battle a rattle snake when you're tired and dehydrated. I looked around to find a long tree branch or stick. Nothing...nota....I was on the knoll of a mountain, nothing but rocks and brush as far as the eye could see and the clock was ticking. I had to get back. I ended up battling it out using a couple of good sized rocks. I had to make the snake move. It was that or turn around and go back the way I came. My water depraved mind told me that wasn't going to happen. The snake fought hard. He didn't want to move and was very aggressive. That didn't help. Eventually I won but it took about 20 minutes. Tired and freaked out I continued on and *jumped at every stick I saw on the trail after that. ( * being mindful of the "where there is one.." rule )

    With three miles to go I had to use the light. Luckily most of it was downhill as I made my way down to the road. I think I drank a gallon of water after I got back.
    Many lessons learned on that ride.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 11-10-2012 at 03:35 PM.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I guess you learned "The lesson" that night time is not the time to be exploring new trails. Been there, done that so I know the feeling. Strange isn't it what happens when you start to panic. Suddenly you find it hard to sense direction. In times like that just having a compass and a map can be a saving grace.

    On one of my rides from yesteryear I was doing a planned epic ride ( ~35 miles previously unexplored ) that was not expected to end at night. Nevertheless I brought my old niterider 10watt halogen along just in case ( yes, the old days of halogen ). The ride was through mountainous territory and I was using the local maps. In my case the maps were accurate so no big problem there however it was a long ride with lots of climbing. Just before the half-way point ( after the longest climb ) I noticed my water was extremely low and I was extremely thirsty...not a good thing when you know you still have another 15 or so miles to go while riding along a mountain ridge.

    If being dehydrated wasn't bad enough I realized the sun was beginning to set and I really didn't want to be caught back in the woods with just the single halogen with a battery that probably only had a half charge on it.

    Thankfully it was not a real hot day. That helped. Still I was hungry, dehydrated and racing the sun. Just as I was about to close on an important trail juncture I ran into an expected obstacle....a very large timber rattle snake that was sitting on the edge of a very narrow slice of single track. I was at the pinnacle of the ride. Heavy brush ( like I've never seen before ) lined both sides of the trail as far as the eye could see. Absolutely no way to walk around it.

    Nothing like having to battle a rattle snake when you're tired and dehydrated. I looked around to find a long tree branch or stick. Nothing...nota....I was on the knoll of a mountain, nothing but rocks and brush as far as the eye could see and the clock was ticking. I had to get back. I ended up battling it out using a couple of good sized rocks. I had to make the snake move. It was that or turn around and go back the way I came. My water depraved mind told me that wasn't going to happen. The snake fought hard. He didn't want to move and was very aggressive. That didn't help. Eventually I won but it took about 20 minutes. Tired and freaked out I continued on and *jumped at every stick I saw on the trail after that. ( * being mindful of the "where there is one.." rule )

    With three miles to go I had to use the light. Luckily most of it was downhill as I made my way down to the road. I think I drank a gallon of water after I got back.
    Many lessons learned on that ride.
    Hey Cat, goose bumps reading your experience with the rattlesnake. That's intense.

    We have beware of snake signs most places I go but have yet to see one, yet roll over one. I used to ask, where are these snakes they are talking about? Guess I shouldn't wish an encounter. Closest encounter I had with wildlife was nearly rolling over a Wombat on a singletrack along the Yarra River. I was on a sweeping right-hander when my helmet light caught a blackish obstacle across the tight track - wasn't there the last 50 times. Those who know what a Wombat is will know this animal is tough. Hit it with a car, it will die but will give your panel beater overtime before it does. I hit the brakes hard and nearly went over the bar. It move off as I yelled "sh#@%t. I still went straight into the bushes on the left but didn't come off the bike - 5 metres more I would be in the river.

    Night trail explorers should at least have 2 lights with interchangeable batteries. You can run bar on low with the helmet on high. Swap over when helmet is getting close to depletion. Then run it on hi or low depending on the time you need. Having a spare battery in the backpack or frame is best.

    I never got lost while riding, touch wood. I always ride with my Casio Protrek watch I've owned for more than 17 years. It's equipped with a digital compass and never had to change the battery even once in the time I've had it. Latest model is here.

    I've mentioned I ride alone normally starting my rides at 9pm nowadays and home by 11-ish, my wife feels better knowing where I am. Should I come off the bike and say knock myself unconscious, she will know where to direct emergency. This Real Time GPS app for Android or iPhone is good - when it's working. She can see me moving in real time on the home desktop. She turns on the porch light just before I turn the corner. It's that accurate - when it's working. I say this twice because sometimes the GPS signal can drop out.

    Another great thing about this app is it allows you to see where you are on the smart phone. You can see where the main roads are in relation to your position. You can also choose map overlays like OpenCycleMap which is a wiki for bike tracks around the world. Chat with whoever you allow to watch you. And it's all free.

    Download to phone, bookmark the Greenalp page on your browser. Register a nickname and password. When you next ride, turn on the app on the phone, open the webpage with your login and that's it. It will show 1 viewer on the left. You can share your location with others by sending a link via text or e-mail to anyone. They click on the link and will see you on their desktop or phone browser.

    Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    . . . Xeccon lights are designed to strobe 3 times when the color indicator changes. This gives the rider fair warning on the status of the battery. Are you sure it stepped down when it went from blue to red? We have not witnessed a step down in the test we've done including the one tonight using a Galaxy Tab for video and Replay XD for time lapse pictures at 30 second intervals. Please let me know if yours does. It should only do that if it's on thermal protection.
    I might not have remembered that part correctly. It was about 5 weeks ago.

    The Shadow JM07 on the bars definitely does do a step-down. The S-12 may have just flashed, and I set it to low to make sure there was enough light to get home.

    I can guarantee it wasn't a heat issue. The outside temp was about 5 C (40 F for our US friends). As this was my first long ride with both lights, I was curious about temperature handling with them running on high for so long. Took off the gloves and felt them several times during the ride. The difference between the head and tail cap on the JM07 was "cold" and "wow that's really cold." The S-12 was slightly higher, but not enough to be a hand warmer. The fingers were more comfortable back in the gloves than cupping the S-12 for heat.

    "Lost" would be kind of a strong word to describe my situation. I was in the middle of a two mile by two mile box, bounded by major roads, and a set of railroad tracks. The other side of one fence was my regular trail. The second fence had the tracks. It was only the ragged edge of the wetlands (on the prairies we call it a Slew) that had me stumped. The nerves were probably enhanced by the hour (it was getting near midnight and I'd been up since 6 AM), and coyotes howling. Each group was half a mile away, but I could hear them on three sides.

    The throw of the S-12 was great. I could clearly see all the big earth movers I'd ridden by on my way in. Of course they were on the other side of the swamp, about 1/3 mile away. (They're slicing a big chunk out of my nightly ride space by extending an expressway, and filling in some of the wetland for a connector into an industrial park.) At other points in the ride I could see the beam moving on hill sides at great distance. Not enough light these old eyes to make out more than "Hills Side" and "Big Tree," but enough of a beam to see it was different than the blacker surroundings.

    And to tie in with Cat's story, about three minutes after both lights said "I'm hungry," the camel back went dry.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766
    Len, I do plan on doing some more exploring next year. I already have some of the GPS, compass apps for my smart phone but phone apps tend not to have some of the better features that a dedicated GPS device will have. Not to mention that running an app on your phone can use the battery up real quick. I've already planned on buying a Garmin GPS device for mountain biking as a Christmas gift to myself.

    My fail-safe for night time use is the torch that I mount on my handlebars. If my main lamps should run out of juice the torch will provide 3hrs of run time on medium. Along with a spare cell I carry in my pack that is enough for almost any situation. Ever since the LED lamps came along I've never had a ride where "lack of battery run time" was an issue. As for me I don't think I'll ever explore new areas at night anyway simply because too much stuff can happen even if you have good lights. Nope, for night rides I want the tried and true.

    Yep, getting turned around at night was a big problem years ago. Now with all the electronic gizmos you can be much safer.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Len, I do plan on doing some more exploring next year. I already have some of the GPS, compass apps for my smart phone but phone apps tend not to have some of the better features that a dedicated GPS device will have. Not to mention that running an app on your phone can use the battery up real quick. I've already planned on buying a Garmin GPS device for mountain biking as a Christmas gift to myself.

    My fail-safe for night time use is the torch that I mount on my handlebars. If my main lamps should run out of juice the torch will provide 3hrs of run time on medium. Along with a spare cell I carry in my pack that is enough for almost any situation. Ever since the LED lamps came along I've never had a ride where "lack of battery run time" was an issue. As for me I don't think I'll ever explore new areas at night anyway simply because too much stuff can happen even if you have good lights. Nope, for night rides I want the tried and true.

    Yep, getting turned around at night was a big problem years ago. Now with all the electronic gizmos you can be much safer.
    Hey Cat,

    I thought of the Garmin 800 for myself not long ago. I needed something that won't drop out on me, however, it doesn't send location back to homebase. That was the deal-breaker for me. If a new model have that feature, I would snap it up in a NY minute. For yourself, it would be perfect if you're going to go where no MTBer has gone before. It will track and record which you can download to your computer when you're home and enjoy your expedition. It will also give you waypoints back to where you started which phone apps won't do. Bear in mind, the Garmin isn't exactly thrifty on juice.

    Hear what you're saying about not having battery depletion issues. Just power consumption management - that's what I say to the boys and gals who buy for 24 hour racing. I don't even ride with spares anymore because I use 1kg of batteries when I ride. We don't need to go full blast all the way especially on extended rides. My primary lights are my helmet lights. I just run the XP-Es on my bar normally.

    Watched the movie Sanctum again last night while I was doing the rundown test. That movie really makes you appreciate juice in your batteries. Well, I am off for my ride. Have a bit of a laugh here at the expense of the poor Wombat.

    Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    I might not have remembered that part correctly. It was about 5 weeks ago.

    The Shadow JM07 on the bars definitely does do a step-down. The S-12 may have just flashed, and I set it to low to make sure there was enough light to get home.

    I can guarantee it wasn't a heat issue. The outside temp was about 5 C (40 F for our US friends). As this was my first long ride with both lights, I was curious about temperature handling with them running on high for so long. Took off the gloves and felt them several times during the ride. The difference between the head and tail cap on the JM07 was "cold" and "wow that's really cold." The S-12 was slightly higher, but not enough to be a hand warmer. The fingers were more comfortable back in the gloves than cupping the S-12 for heat.

    "Lost" would be kind of a strong word to describe my situation. I was in the middle of a two mile by two mile box, bounded by major roads, and a set of railroad tracks. The other side of one fence was my regular trail. The second fence had the tracks. It was only the ragged edge of the wetlands (on the prairies we call it a Slew) that had me stumped. The nerves were probably enhanced by the hour (it was getting near midnight and I'd been up since 6 AM), and coyotes howling. Each group was half a mile away, but I could hear them on three sides.

    The throw of the S-12 was great. I could clearly see all the big earth movers I'd ridden by on my way in. Of course they were on the other side of the swamp, about 1/3 mile away. (They're slicing a big chunk out of my nightly ride space by extending an expressway, and filling in some of the wetland for a connector into an industrial park.) At other points in the ride I could see the beam moving on hill sides at great distance. Not enough light these old eyes to make out more than "Hills Side" and "Big Tree," but enough of a beam to see it was different than the blacker surroundings.

    And to tie in with Cat's story, about three minutes after both lights said "I'm hungry," the camel back went dry.
    Hi Ian, played back the video to see if any of the 3 lights stepped down after their 3 strobe reminder. The beam pattern and brightness was the same as before it strobed so I can confirm it did not step down. I initially thought it stepped down because the strobe is on-off-on-off which created the illusion it was darker than before the strobe. Check it out yourself and get back to me if you find otherwise. We'll send you another light head if that's the case.

    Heat management of the S12 is pretty good. It goes up and then plateaus at a manageable temperature. I have been thinking of asking Xeccon to drive a sample unit to 1.6A or 1.7A. It's currently at about 1.37A.

    Sorry to dramatize your situation. Important thing is you got home safely. Coyotes howling would have freaked me out if I had minimal throw on my helmet. Dread the thought of hearing something close but not being able to see it/them.

    Sounds like your timing was perfect that day. Just know your S12 has just over 3 hours on high from full charge. Oh, it may been less for that day since you said it was 5C outside. It's probably a good idea to get another 4400mAh or 6600mAh if you ride nights frequently but with your playground getting smaller you may even get away with a 2200mAh.

    Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  18. #43
    Meat Clever
    Reputation: DirtDummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    672
    Short-term review thoughts on the S12:
    I purchased the light on Sunday morning PAT and it arrived Wednesday afternoon about 2 pm. Leonard was responsive to questions and communication was first rate.

    As described up-thread, the hardware appears of good quality and better than average for the price point.

    I purchased it solely for use as a helmet light. It throws like a MoFo. I have only used it twice,: once on high for 2 hours, and once on ~50% high and 50% low for a total of 3 hours and battery indicator light was still blue both times. Low setting is plenty for uphills/slow downhills, and high setting is outstanding with tons of throw.

    Hopefully, the light is durable and reliable - we shall see.

    The only potential demerit is weight. I've seen a weight of ~117 grams or so and while this is not too much to cause discomfort, it is noticeable.

    Overall, the brightness and throw cannot be beat for this price. While the new Glowworm X1 interests me, at roughly half the weight, it also comes with double the price tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766

    Xeccon X-12 with XM-L2 ( Version II ) has arrived

    Been some time since I last posted on the X-12. Leonard from Xeccon has once again provided me with another X-12, this time the new Version II with XM-L2 emitter for review purposes. ( No, I did not pay for it and yes I can keep it. )

    I wasted no time. I had to know right from the get-go if it is brighter. I quickly did a ~ 5M lux comparison. The results below


    Xeccon X-12 with XM-L U2 > 1030 lux

    Xeccon X-12 with XM-L2 >> 1230 lux
    Included with this upgraded lamp is the new 6000mAh Li-Po battery. The battery I will review separately and post over on the "Battery Thread". Can't wait to play around with it. Unfortunately I won't get too much chance to play with it this week as my work schedule has me in places I'd rather not be. Sad it is to get a new toy and not be able to play with it. Such is life.

    I'm not sure but comparing the two, old vs. the new, the new feels like it might be a little bit lighter. I'll need to confirm that by weighing it ( at work ) when I get the chance. Like the previous version the new X-12 is still a three mode ( H-M-flash ). Besides feeling lighter the only other difference from the previous version is the anodized red aluminum retaining ring on front of lamp. Glad they did that, not only does it look real nice it helps me know which is which.

    Like has been said before, these lamps are "real spot throwers". As such these are really designed for helmet use and excel at illuminating objects at distance. Not sure if the camera I have can display the differences in throw ( at distance ). Doesn't really matter though, the lux meter tells the real story anyway.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 04-22-2013 at 01:52 PM.

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post

    I wasted no time. I had to know right from the get-go if it is brighter. I quickly did a ~ 5M lux comparison.

    I'm not sure but comparing the two, old vs. the new, the new feels like it might be a little bit lighter. I'll need to confirm that by weighing it ( at work ) when I get the chance. Like the previous version the new X-12 is still a three mode ( H-M-flash ). Besides feeling lighter the only other difference from the previous version is the anodized red aluminum retaining ring on front of lamp. Glad they did that, not only does it look real nice it helps me know which is which.
    Hi Cat, thought I'd clarify a couple of things. Your lux comparison is showing difference what my eye didn't quite detect. At first, it looked about 7% brighter to my eyes using the same Li-ion battery compared to the U2 OD - it's probably more and your test has more or less confirmed this. Was the lux comparison using Li-ion only or the S12 Two with the LiPo battery?

    The weight is the same - nothing has changed in that department. The drive is the same as before - nothing has been changed too. If we really wish to give the Performance S12s one last push beyond it's current capabilities, we can - by jacking up the drive current to say 1.6A to 1.8A. The extra heat generated may be worthwhile. Also, the red bezel ring is a mtbRevolution signature for our S12s.

    No point taking beamshots. Like you said, lux (and sphere test) is probably the best way to test lights like these. Camera exposure doesn't take light in from long distances and that's why they look under-performing each time. Cameras take great floodlight shots but not throwers.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Hi Cat, thought I'd clarify a couple of things. Your lux comparison is showing difference what my eye didn't quite detect. At first, it looked about 7% brighter to my eyes using the same Li-ion battery compared to the U2 OD - it's probably more and your test has more or less confirmed this. Was the lux comparison using Li-ion only or the S12 Two with the LiPo battery?

    The weight is the same - nothing has changed in that department. The drive is the same as before - nothing has been changed too. If we really wish to give the Performance S12s one last push beyond it's current capabilities, we can - by jacking up the drive current to say 1.6A to 1.8A. The extra heat generated may be worthwhile. Also, the red bezel ring is a mtbRevolution signature for our S12s.

    No point taking beamshots. Like you said, lux (and sphere test) is probably the best way to test lights like these. Camera exposure doesn't take light in from long distances and that's why they look under-performing each time. Cameras take great floodlight shots but not throwers.
    Inside my home I wasn't able to discern the difference between the two outputs with my eyes. That only makes sense though. The eye is only so sensitive to light that is bright at close range. Outside though I expect to see a difference because the light will be more dispersed. Not to mention the medium mode should be more brighter thus more useful. ( I'll lux test that as well ) When I tested the Version II I did use the Li-Po.. At some point I should try to test the battery draw while on the Li-Po to see if there is some difference.

    The lux readings were taken before the lamps could heat up. No doubt the output will drop once the lamps heat up. I'll do that test as well. I already know the U2's drop in output once warm. This is no surprise actually, all LED's drop in output once they heat up. Hopefully the XM-L2's will live up to their rep as being able to handle heat better. We'll see.

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766

    Xeccon X-12 ( with XM-L2 emitter )

    Did a quick Shine around tonight while on the job. Output on these are really sweet. I can easily tell it is brighter than the U2's but when on trails rarely do you need that extra kick unless you're on a trail ( or fire road ) with a really long line of sight. Can't wait to try this on my favorite fire road descent. Needs to get a little warmer though. At night it's still gets cold.

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    344
    Was reading the Quad, D99 and 808E 5m lux comparison. This is saying the XM-L2 lamp pumps out more than twice, and change, on what the 808E can do. Cat, I think it'd be great if you can use the LiPo and compare the readings with the other lamps you have for the Battery 2013 thread. I am curious if the XM-L2 performs better with the LiPo in percentage terms.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Was reading the Quad, D99 and 808E 5m lux comparison. This is saying the XM-L2 lamp pumps out more than twice, and change, on what the 808E can do. Cat, I think it'd be great if you can use the LiPo and compare the readings with the other lamps you have for the Battery 2013 thread. I am curious if the XM-L2 performs better with the LiPo in percentage terms.
    Just remember that the X-12 has a reflector that concentrates the beam better than the other lamps. This is what gives the X-12 it's superior throw. It's not just that it's twice as bright, it just uses the light it has more efficiently/effectively.

    Over the weekend I'll try to do some comparisons with the battery to see if there are differences in current draw in comparison with the standard four cells Li-ion batteries.

    Just to let you know; I finally bought a "Y" cable. Yesterday I tried to run both my Gloworm X2 and Quad lamp ( at the same time ) using both the Xeccon 6-cell hard pack and the new Li-Po battery. Didn't seem to have any problems. Can't wait to give that set-up a try on the trails.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,766

    X-12 with XM-L2: Trail test.

    Tonight's ride was basically a test of three recently acquired lamps. This is the last lamp to be reviewed before I hit the hay. Not too much to say really other than the X-12 continues to excel at doing what it does best, namely illuminating things at a distance.

    Tonight's ride really wasn't able to do the lamp justice. The trails I rode had very short line-of-sight visibility and tend to do a a lot of turning. The X-12 is best when used on trails in which you can expect long straight running segments. The longer the better. This being the case most of the night I ended up just running the lamp in the lower mode which does fine on trails with shorter lines of sight.

    When I got back to the car I was able to play with the X-12 a bit more by shining it across a football field. Even with heavy particulate matter in the air ( the Spring pollen season in full swing..) the X-12 could still clear the entire field. While I was loading my bike onto my car a guy came along ( on foot ) and asked me where the local ( lit ) basketball court was. I pointed to him in the direction ( same direction as the football field ) but before I could explain to him to take the park road over to the courts the guy starts running down the embankment toward the football field. ( What the..!! )
    Since it was completely dark down on the field I walked over to the edge of the embankment of the football field and turned my X-12 on. I lit the way so he could get to the other side of the field. Before he got to the other side he waved back as to say, "Thanks for lighting the way".

    Today was my first MTB ride of the season and dang if it didn't feel good to get back in the woods again. I hope to get another ride in tomorrow somewhere that has longer line-of-sight segments. Hope the good weather holds out. I feel the need for speed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •