Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

User Review: Xeccon Geinea 1 Rear light

Hi all. Once again I've been asked by Xeccon to do a review of their new Geinea rear LED lamp. Since there are not too many rear led lamps over 100 lumen I thought I would accept.

For the record, I receive no compensation from Xeccon to do the review other than they let me keep the light. My review is not a ringing endorsement of the product. I will however point out the positives and the negatives as I see it. The review is a review in progress. I will include more information as I go along.

Below is the product and all the included hardware. *I included two AA batteries in the photo for size reference.

The set includes the 3-mode lamp, a rubber encased two cell 2200mAh Bak Li-ion battery with battery bag, a wired remote and various O-rings and Velcro pieces to make it all work.

I'll start with the lamp head first. First thing of note is that the lamp is very small, about 20mm x 20mm. It is designed to attach to a seat post post via a Velcro buckle/loop arrangement. While I like the small size of the lamp the mounting leaves much to be desired. When attached to a seat post the lamp angles downward which is not what most people would want. Still it is not much trouble to make a shim out of piece of rubber bike tube which can easily lift the angle of the light. This is what I did and took all of two minutes. Other than that mounting of the lamp is pretty simple with the Velcro.

The lamp itself is Very Bright. This is it's most redeeming feature. I would say just judging from comparison with my Moon Shield rear light that it is 3 times as bright as the Shield. See below:

Geinea vs. Moon Shield

Moon Shield; > 525 lux @ 1 meter on high

Geinea Rear;> ~3000 lux @ 1 meter on *slow flash ( no steady mode )
    The front of the lamp has a prismatic micro-honeycombed lens on it. This helps give the lamp a very nice spread of light. I will point out that the output angle is limited because the lamp has no side visibility ports. Still, when view from behind the output of the red Cree XP-E2 is awesome. Not sure how hard it is being driven but I will measure it later.

Unfortunately the lamp has only 3-modes, slow flash, medium flash and fast flash. In my opinion only the first mode, slow flash is usable. Fortunately, I have been told that a change is to be made very quickly to the UI. Soon the Geinea will have a high and medium ( 40% ) steady modes along with the slow and medium flash. *I expect Xeccon will chime in when that is to take place.

The next issue of note is the remote on the Geinea. It is basically 25mm x 25mm. Pretty big by remote standards. That is because the LED driver is housed in the remote. The remote also has the led warning lights inside it as well so I guess that explains the size. Enough wire is included to mount the remote on the bars if you are so inclined.

Personally I had no wish to mount something that big on my bars so I mount mine right at the seatpost and top tube junction. I wrap the excess wire around the seatpost and all seems to work fine.

I mount the battery between the upper seat stays. ( see photo below ) This works for me. Run time is listed for about 13hrs for the 2-cell battery.

Below is a short video I took during the day. Sadly the video really doesn't do the lamp justice. It is very bright even in the day. At night it is awesome. Should compete very well with the DiNotte 300R.

If the photos or video doesn't appear please bear with me while I figure out a way to make it work. Thanks....CAt.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 01-14-2013 at 07:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Let's see if the HTML embed code works (it does for YouTube vids):

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Very interesting Catman.
    Any chance you could do some comparison photos at night with the Shield and the Hotshot like you did a few months back? And in the daylight too, if you're up for it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Still, when view from behind the output of the red Cree XP-E is awesome. Not sure how hard it is being driven but I will measure it later.

Unfortunately the lamp has only 3-modes, slow flash, medium flash and fast flash. In my opinion only the first mode, slow flash is usable. Fortunately, I have been told that a change is to be made very quickly to the UI. Soon the Geinea will have a high and medium ( 40% ) steady modes along with the slow and medium flash. *I expect Xeccon will chime in when that is to take place.
    Geinea rear is equipped with XP-E2 Red. Xeccon Light will be releasing 4 modes for pre-orders taken after today. The 4 modes are confirmed to be Steady High, Steady Low @ 40%, Fast strobe and Slow Strobe. It will take about 10-14 days. Remotes with the modified UI will be sent to Cat, Pedro and Colleen who is reviewing the front/rear set at Bikeforums.

In addition to the velcro mounting, an o-ring mount with 2 extra o-rings will be included in the set boxes for mounting choice. Will announce a promo price and sale duration soon.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldAusDigger View Post
    Very interesting Catman.
    Any chance you could do some comparison photos at night with the Shield and the Hotshot like you did a few months back? And in the daylight too, if you're up for it?
    If Len sends me the improved 4-mode version I should be able to do that. The version I have doesn't have a steady mode so trying to time a single "flash" for a photo would be hard to do. ...Yes, daylight photos a must! Actually if you look at the video you get a good idea of the output in the day as the video display "freeze framed" the output on high. Distance is a little over 100 ft.

MechBgon, Thanks for getting my video posted. I tried a link using the HTML code link provided by Photobucket but couldn't get it to work. Maybe you might send me a PM explaining just how you did it.

mtbr member
    Hello all!

I too have received the Geinea but mine was the whole kit (front and rear). The only difference from Cat's is that it has a larger 4400mAh battery which powers both lights and a larger single button which controls both the front and large light. This button is the same as the Spiker 1210.
    I have no affiliation with Xeccon whatsoever - I just got lucky to find a nice guy like Leonard.

I will give you my feedback from a couple of rides I did with them.

Lets start with the front:
    • Nice flood light;
    • OP reflector;
    • Slightly blue-ish colour tint, when compared to my 808 XML-T6 clone.

It works great for commuting when pointed to the ground as it is small and I can easily remove it from the bike when I get to University. However, I still can't think of this light as a commuting light as it has a symmetric beam pattern and a lot of light is going upwards, where commuters normally don't need it - it's a bit of a wasteful energy that leads to an even more blinding light. What I would also like it to have is a medium working mode. Having a medium working mode can extend the battery life and, most of the time, we don't really need it to be set on high...and low is just too low. This makes more sense to me than having super fast strobe on the rear (even with the new UI, but more on that later...). Although I can point it to the ground or upper, I would like to have a steadier mounting mechanism in the center of my bar, but maybe I'm asking too much eheh.
    All in all, I like the light. I like the low profile, I like feeling safe with a simple small light I can quickly remove from the bars and store it in my jacket's pocket if I dont have my laptop's backpack.

Rear light:
    Great. Besides the current working-modes, I love it. Current working mode is all-strobe: 3Hz, 7Hz, 14Hz. Why even bother putting a 14Hz in there? I don't know... Anyway, it will all be forgiven, as, as Cat said, the new ones will be 100% steady, 40% steady, 3Hz strobe, 7Hz strobe. Not bad. I could ditch the 7Hz strobe, but still a major improvement. What certainly needs to be improved is the mounting: a simple velcro strap just doesn't cut it, as we can't tweak the angle. I think it is working good as it is for me, as I like having it pointing down, but maybe, sometimes, I would like to have it pointing not too down. One other thing I'm concerned is the side visibility. I have mounted mine and stared at my bike from the side... It would be nice to have some kind of feedback of the headlight when standing in a 180 position, but, as mine is pointing to the ground, the light reaches my wheel pretty well and that is a major plus for me.
    Like the front Geinea, I like this small powerful light. This surely gives me more confident when riding on the road.

That is my feedback so far. I haven't really test it on trails, so i don't know. I did took some pictures though. They turned down darker than I was expecting, but it is better than nothing. I will take some more in the future.

Here are my albums:
    Included in this kit (front+rear): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/99qg8ifmdwv9zkz/715u_RfUG_
    Wall beamshots (808 XML-T6 clone on the right; Geinea U2 on the left): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4j6q19y905fhj1a/9El2-aAaeE

Video focusing on the brightness of the rear light:

Resized outside pics (lost some quality too):

The original album: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xn1p4yx8r9...er%20angle.JPG

Camera settings: ISO 200, Daylight, 4.0, 1/1.6. I'm not an expert on this, but I tried to copy mtbr's exposure settings. I believe they are correct, but please tell me if they are not. I think they came out too dark... Will try to take better pics next time. Oh, and dropbox compresses the photos, so if you really have a good eye (unlike me), view the original by clicking the right down button.
    Last edited by PedroDank; 01-14-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Resized them to post here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Leonard, I'm in Sydney. How much for one of the tail lights delivered here?
    Also, if you can possibly put a figure on it percentage wise, just how much of an improvement is the red XPE-2 over the first gen?

mtbr member
    Leonard, I'm in Sydney. How much for one of the tail lights delivered here?
    Also, if you can possibly put a figure on it percentage wise, just how much of an improvement is the red XPE-2 over the first gen?
    Hey Digger, we will do a special for the sets with the current 3 modes. PM you on that in a moment.

I can't say for sure how much brighter the XP-E2 is over the XP-E. Hard to compare since there's drive current to consider if you're going to compare it to another light with standard XP-E. Chances are, you'll be able to tell us more.
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 01-14-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    Rear light:
    One other thing I'm concerned is the side visibility. I have mounted mine and stared at my bike from the side...
    Yes, most rear lights are giving either a strong focused beam OR a floody side visibility . Hard to find one that gives you both. Maybe you could use a second light for side visibility? The Blackburn Mars 3.0 might be interesting: Rear bicycle lights comparison BLACKBURN MARS 3 vs MARS 4 LED light - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity123 View Post
    Yes, most rear lights are giving either a strong focused beam OR a floody side visibility . Hard to find one that gives you both. Maybe you could use a second light for side visibility? The Blackburn Mars 3.0 might be interesting: Rear bicycle lights comparison BLACKBURN MARS 3 vs MARS 4 LED light - YouTube
    If having a bit of side light coming off your bike at the rear is that important to you than by all means that is a good idea. Almost any rear blinkie light that has an extended red lens that will project some side lighting but yes the Blackburn Mars 1.1 looks to be designed to excel in this area.

Not really a big issue for me as my bike already has ample side lighting and visibility. My focus at the time is a rear light that be noticed during the day from a good distance. I think the Geinea achieves this.

Pedro, cut yourself a small piece of rubber inner tube and fold in over so it is about 30mm long and 5mm think. Use some electrical tape to keep in together if you have to.
    Then take this and wedge it under just the lower lip of the mount. Then tighten the strap on the Velcro. This should lift the angle of the light so it projects more straight out to the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Catman, I phoned Leonard today and ordered a Geinea tail light.
    I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it. But I know it's going to be good 'cause you've already given it the thumbs up.
    BTW how are the "Lightweights" working out for you? You must of had them for at least a year or so now.

mtbr member
    Catman, I phoned Leonard today and ordered a Geinea tail light.
    I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it. But I know it's going to be good 'cause you've already given it the thumbs up.
    BTW how are the "Lightweights" working out for you? You must of had them for at least a year or so now.
    If you get one see if you can get the newer version with 4 modes. Not sure if they're available yet but worth a try.

The "Lightweights" are great. I've put the stickers on a lot of stuff for work and also some clothing for cycling. Eventually I'll buy some of the tape and do my road set-up. I just can't decide whether to get the stealth tape or just go with the brighter silver. Humm....maybe a bit of both.

Right now I'm fighting off the winter blues. It's been raining for three days. If I get any riding in it will be on the road.

mtbr member
    Today I took a quick ride on the road while testing out a second hand GPS unit. The Geinea red was used to cover my rear as the ride was basically a day time ride. Nice day it was, about 50F. All was fine but when I got home I noticed the led warning light had turned to red. Since I've only used it about three hours at the most I was wondering how this could be. Quite possibly when I first got the light that I didn't charge it all the way. The battery is fully charged now and the green led is showing. I only remember the blue before so maybe that explains things. Still, I'm going to have to test it to see just how long it will run because I have some doubts. I should be able to do that in a couple days as tomorrow I might be able to squeeze in another ride before the NFL playoffs start.

mtbr member
    Nice day it was, about 50F. All was fine but when I got home I noticed the led warning light had turned to red. Since I've only used it about three hours at the most I was wondering how this could be.
    Hi Cat, the runtime is about 3 hours 36 mins with the 2200mAh 2 cell battery. That's 2.2A / 3.6hours = 0.61A draw.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Hi Cat, the runtime is about 3 hours 36 mins with the 2200mAh 2 cell battery. That's 2.2A / 3.6hours = 0.61A draw.
    Len, You sure about that? The instructions say it is 3hrs for the front light but 13 hrs for the rear. The front light is an XM-L so likely draws more current. The rear is an XP-E and likely drawing less current not to mention that it blinks so current draw is periodic. If the instruction has a misprint just let me know.

mtbr member
    Len, You sure about that? The instructions say it is 3hrs for the front light but 13 hrs for the rear. The front light is an XM-L so likely draws more current. The rear is an XP-E and likely drawing less current not to mention that it blinks so current draw is periodic. If the instruction has a misprint just let me know.
    Hi Cat, the 13 hours for the rear light only is most probably an error. I don't know if it was based on some Low mode. 3hrs + for the front only with 4400mAh is correct. I got 3 hours 21 mins. I've done the runtime test with time lapse and posted the results in my blog. I just re-did the rear only again to be sure.

The runtime I just did with diffuser lens rear light only like your review sample (not my personal prototype) came in at 3 hours 45 mins with the 2200mAh battery. This against the previous test of 3 hours 36 mins. Seeing it's high output it didn't come as a total surprise to me the first time.

Here are some runtime numbers I recorded last week. See what you make of them. Sharing via a Y cable wrecks havoc with the color indicator.

Spiker 1207 (3 hours 40 mins on it's own) and Geinea rear sharing a 6600mAh battery.
    The runtime test result was Blue at 29 mins > Red 56 mins > Flashing Red 1 hour 5 mins > 1207 shutdown at 2 hours 33 mins. Rear light continued strobbing till shutdown at 2 hours 52 mins. Second runtime test with 1207 (Geinea Remote Blue 5 mins) > Blue 32 mins > Flashing Red 1 hour 00 mins > Shutdown 2 hours 31 mins

Spiker 1210 (3 hours 45 mins on it's own) and Geinea rear sharing 6600mAh battery. Shutdown at 3 hours 12 mins.

Front light only, with 4400mAh battery. Rear light disconnected. Blue 35 mins > Red 1 hour 41 mins > Flashing Red 2 hours 33 mins > shutdown 3 hours 21 mins

Front & Rear combo set with 4400mAh battery. Blue 31 mins > Red 1 hours 27 mins > Flashing Red 2 hours 10 mins. Both lights shutdown 3 hours 00 mins. Second run with combo set. Blue 26 mins > Red 1 hours 19 mins > Flashing Red 1 hours 57 mins > both lights shutdown at 3 hours 2 mins
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    I've been away for 4 days but have just got back home... Went to bicycles heaven if you want to know - Amsterdam. Anyway, It was kind of a working trip, so I didn't take the lights with me to give it another test.

Its been raining for one straight week here in Portugal and we even had red coded alarm because of the strong winds. When things clear out, I'm going out with my cute Geinea Pigs

Cat, I'll do that next time I film it at daylight, but for my use, I actually prefer it as it is.
    Xeccon, thanks for all that info. I'll be more than happy with 3h when using both front and rear at 100%.

mtbr member
    Just an update on this great combination (it really is great, I'm loving it so far): Xeccon, aka Leonard, sent me the new remote with the new User Interface for the rear light. I've received it today and have just give it a quick test. It now supports 100% > 40% > 3 and 7Hz both at 100% power. The 3Hz is the same flashing mode it previously had and the 7Hz is more of a strobe. Thankfully, they got rid of the 14Hz which was way too fast...at least for me. Also worth mentioning is the the improved boxing: although it is not really that important, I think we all love to unbox a great product. Xeccon got it right this time and it really looks nice now. It shows professionalism, so I think it is worth mentioning.

So far, all I can say about this all-in-one pack (front + rear + 440mAh battery) is that it is a great combination for commuters because of the really low profile body, but it also performs good as a flood light in the trails. I just installed the remote on my handlebar and never remove it. The reason why I do this is that, as a commuter, it is easier to just strap out both the tiny front and rear light and put it inside my backpack with the battery as well. This may seem to be a waste of time for commuters, but it really isn't because you just have to strap it back and connect it to the remote that is already attached to the bike. I will post pictures of it soon, so you can visualize this better.

I'm aware that the shape of the light isn't really intended for a commuter, but since we don't have much choice here (only those asymmetrical ones from Philips, for example, and perhaps, the Fenix BT20) I would rather pay this much for a front light AND a great tail light because I know I will be seen on the road and I will be able to see the road and all my surroundings. Whenever I see a car coming towards me, I just temporarily dim the front light or even put my hand in front of it if necessary.

So, for the next update, I will try to provide:
    • a daylight video of both front and rear light with the new UI;
    • new pictures of the front light...because I'm not happy with the first ones I got (they don't really show how good it is, honestly);
    • new pictures of 2 front geinea lights...just for the fun and curiosity

This is a lot to be done and I don't even have the camera I will ask again for my friend's.
    Also, I haven't tested out the lights in the rain, so will try to get out this week (expected to be an all-week raining one) and see if they can handle some showers.

That is all.
    Will post back in a few days, but feel free to ask any question!

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Pedro, nice to hear that the combo setup is working for you. I have the newer version of the G-1 rear as well and it is nice to have the lower power steady mode. Like you I'm waiting for the weather to improve so I can get out and test it more. Shouldn't be too long before I start seeing some 50F days.

I wish the fast strobe mode was replaced by something more useful like a slow pulse/low output mode...something that could really extend run time. In the mean time I will have to be content with the fact that I have a SUPER bright rear light that will run for a little over three hours. . Rarely do you get everything you want when it comes to rear lights. I'd like to see these sold with an upgraded two cell battery using either Samsung or Panasonic cells ( preferably the later ). At least for the price they are asking for these you are getting the brightest lamp available in this price range, of that I have no doubt.. ( Geinea 1 rear link )

mtbr member
    You're exactly right Cat-man-do!

The weather is now improving, finally, so I'll be out in a couple of days!
    I've received my Y-cable this morning bought at action-led, so I will also test the 2 front Geineas on the bars, just for the fun eheh.

New pictures and videos will come up in the next days.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if this will run on 3.7v, or is the driver specific for 2s (7.4v?)

Got a whole lot of 3.7v batteries and chargers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Anyone know if this will run on 3.7v, or is the driver specific for 2s (7.4v?)

Got a whole lot of 3.7v batteries and chargers.
    The Geinea drivers are 7.4V. I am able to run 2 rear lights from the same driver by removing the connectors and splicing the wires then soldering it hence doing away with the Y cable.

The only 3.7V lights I've dealt with to date is the Inton NB-02. Now there's the Tobest NB-09, NB-07, NB-06, NB-01 and NB-05 (powered by single 18650 cell). All these lights are 3.7V single XM-L lights. The 3.7V lights have good runtime but tend to sag towards the end and may not cut off but gradually dims like a NiMH or NiCad light. Personally not a big fan of this setup because of the sag, need for different chargers which may confuse and possibly lead to a charging disaster.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    The Geinea drivers are 7.4V. I am able to run 2 rear lights from the same driver by removing the connectors and splicing the wires then soldering it hence doing away with the Y cable.

The only 3.7V lights I've dealt with to date is the Inton NB-02. Now there's the Tobest NB-09, NB-07, NB-06, NB-01 and NB-05 (powered by single 18650 cell). All these lights are 3.7V single XM-L lights. The 3.7V lights have good runtime but tend to sag towards the end and may not cut off but gradually dims like a NiMH or NiCad light. Personally not a big fan of this setup because of the sag, need for different chargers which may confuse and possibly lead to a charging disaster.
    I was looking for a solution for a compact powerful taillight. These seem to be headlights.

mtbr member

User Review: Xeccon Geinea 1 Rear light

It is a rear light.
    They sell a combo that has a bigger battery to power both front and rear geineas, but they sell just the rear one as well. The Geinea name refers to the body of the headlight as it is the same for both front and rear; however, their LED is different (XML-U2 on the front and XP-E 2 red for the rear)

You can find just the rear one here: http://www.magicshineledlights.com.a...ory&path=20_59

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    I was looking for a solution for a compact powerful taillight. These seem to be headlights.
    Yes you are right, they are front lights. Was pointing out the models I know run on 3.7V. Wasn't referring them as an alternative 3.7V rear light system to the Geinea.
    mtbRevolution.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast