Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Just ordered one for a roadie friend of mine who commutes in early morning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Does this tail light have any side visibility, or is it just a spot?

I like how it can mount anywhere with that Velcro strap, and that it comes with the slick little 2-cell battery pack — Does the package include a pouch for that, or some way to mount it easily to a helmet?

And how long is the remote cable?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It has some visibility but it's so freaking bright coming up on it that by the time anyone gets close they will know you are there and look forward to getting around you. Remote cable probably 2.5 to 3 feet. Battery has the awesome neoprene pouch. Really hard to imagine something this small being so effective but it is. My only complaint is the remote just because I hate having wires running across the bike or excess cable but at the same time I hated reaching in back of me to turn my magicshine tail on or off so maybe I just love complaining

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks manbeer.

Yeah I see where the battery comes in that aqua silicone boot, but is there a pouch with straps included to make it easy to fasten anywhere?

Well if you also have the MJ-818 you know what I mean about side visibility, its SMD lenses are angled out so as to be noticeable to cross traffic. Unfortunately that MagicShine is not offered with 2-cells, you can only get it either in a 4-cell package or as a stand-alone. For someone who doesn't already own a decent battery pack and charger, the package price on both these brands is a real money saver , because buying all the separate components piecemeal would end up running like $65 - $80.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, the pouch is included, it's a really nice one made of wetsuit type material with a thick strap. I have to mj818 and was always happy with it but this is a big improvement imo. The side visibility may not be quite as good but it's a monster overall

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks again manbeer. See now that Cat showed the pouch in the initial review here, somehow it did not jump out at me. MTBRevolution should really include the full picture on the site, one of 2-cell pack only shows the interior boot, omits the bag with strap.

Now I think of it, for anyone wanting both hemelt and bar lamps, would still be a smart deal to purchase both the Xeccon and MagicShine tail light packages: Flip flop lamps so MJ-818 could be used with the 2-cell battery pack on the lid, combine MagicShine 4-cell pack with remote operated Geinea on the frame. With 2 Y cables could run additional light heads from each battery on both helmet and bars. Picking up a Yinding from GB for ~$27 (with tracking), an XM-L2 w/12SMD Glow Ring + eliptical diffusing lens and the two Y cables from Kaidomain for around $18, the Xeccon package for $38 and MJ set for approximately $53, total would only be ~$136. Plus there'd be an extra charger, which could be flogged on eBay and get like $11 back easy, reduce total cost to $125. Not bad for four lamps, two appropriate battery packs, cables and charger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, sort of what I was planning on doing except probably will run both tails on my bike. I always forget that I can put one on the helmet but that could work too

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was running an xm-l gemini titan in flash along with my mj818. Worked like a charm...I'm still here, knock on wood, although I did have a hardcover book thrown at me once. I call it the road rage special

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Edit:delete
    Last edited by manbeer; 04-27-2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Video didn't process

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2