Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHill View Post
    I received my BT40S today and it looks really nice. I switched to the frosted lens to see what that was like but it was way too floody even for me so I switched straight back again!

Hopefully should be able to try it out on our normal Thursday night ride for a better evaluation of its capabilites, especially matched to my BT21 with 10 degree optics on the helmet.

Also reminds me of a very similar light I built myself back in 2011. Original XP-Gs driven at 1.2A for about 1200 lumens. Still being used today by my grandson!

Attachment 1103070
    That lamp is amazing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024776.5...e-100cm-Length
    Waiting to get one to see if it is the same as DX one. Don't know about GB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    One thing to remember is that the indicator lights are based off the voltage of the pack. Not sure what kd2 case your using (the yinding clone version or the mj880 clone version). The yinding clone version case is crappy imho. Especially if its the one that you plug the lighthead into the top of the case instead of it having its own wire. The mj880 clone version is pretty decent, but has a few short comings (which arent hard to fix with a soldering iron and 22awg silicone wire).

There is several things that can cause voltage sag that bad, but first run on a pack is always far shorter than any runs after.

I run Panasonics packs for all my lights, one is the bt70 stock pack and other is my modded mj880 clone case. Both packs I can run for a nice long time and never gone past "blue".

Also if that power bank charges individually, its not balancing the 4 cells, which is missing a key point (but I think im going to order one). Most dont balance cells anyway in all fairness. But to use in these cases you need to balance all the cells together, make sure all of the cells are able to freely slide up and down inside the case so springs can keep good contact at all times. Then you wont need to remove the cells to balance them again for a while.
    Does anyone have a photo of the battery case that comes with the BT40s? I ordered mine from gearbest but there was no photo of the battery/case. Is it worth upgrading?

Lastly, since this is my first light anyone have tips on best way to mount and route the cables? Thanks in advance.

Dropshot Champ!
    I emailed gearbest about their coupon, they said it's expired and no new coupons for the BT40s

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Averbuks View Post
    Does anyone have a photo of the battery case that comes with the BT40s? I ordered mine from gearbest but there was no photo of the battery/case. Is it worth upgrading?

Lastly, since this is my first light anyone have tips on best way to mount and route the cables? Thanks in advance.
    User Review:  Nitefighter BT40S ( CAt Review )-004zx.jpg

User Review:  Nitefighter BT40S ( CAt Review )-008.jpg

Here's your battery picture and how I mount it on my roadbike. Lots of different ways to mount batteries, a lot depends on your frame design but this should work for most frames.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for sharing, I wouldnt mind getting a hardcase as opposed to the soft bag

RAKC
    Cheap lights rarely come with hard cases. If they do they are pretty large. As well as they don't form to the frame to help hold them steady.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovespicyfood View Post
    So would two of these be a decent budget setup? One for the handlebar and one for the helmet?
    I had this setup for a while and didn't love it. Great on the bars, but heavy and not enough throw on the helmet. I recently switched to a $15 Kaidomain KD 2X (BL-10MU2NW), and am much happier. The color is close enough not to bother me, and the throw is much improved. Its quite light and small, and I even run a 2 cell battery mounted directly on the helmet instead of my bag. I dont get hung up on branches anymore.

Anyway, this was purchased as a stop gap measure while I wait for the next uber-twin to come out. But for the price, its a great little light. I may just keep it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    I recently switched to a $15 Kaidomain KD 2X (BL-10MU2NW), and am much happier. .
    At the risk of derailing the thread, any chance you could provide an linky to which light you mean, GuitsBoy? Is it this one?

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S023808.K...ke-Light-Black

thanks

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB2 View Post
    At the risk of derailing the thread, any chance you could provide an linky to which light you mean, GuitsBoy? Is it this one?

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S023808.K...ke-Light-Black

thanks
    That looks to be the one. On a shoe string budget, I feel it complements my BT40s quite well. I run it on level 7, and it gives me over 2 hours out of a homegrown 2s1p panasonic 3500 mah pack. Light is way more tightly focused, and will throw nearly twice as far as the BT40s at similar power levels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    So, I have now still 2 BT40 ordered 1ne I already, I would like to equip the lamp with new components as garrybunk has made, components are ordered, furthermore I would plug new XP G3 Leds. I've been looking for traders (Germany) (coming from Austria), I've noticed Mouser. Now I would have searched for neutral white Leds, from 4000-4750K. 4000K available, 4200K Minimum order quantity 1000 pieces, 4500K 6 weeks delivery time, 4750K Minimum order quantity 1000 pieces. 5000K Available Now remains only more 4000K and 5000K over, the 4000K are I believe already to pink or? If you look at mousser.at there are of the 941-XPGDWT0100LF4 or 941-XPGDWTB100LF4 If I take the 4750 Leds, what is the difference, there is the WTO and the WTB Leds, which should I take, but gives of all Leds so, WT0 or WTB? What light color would you take? 4000K or 5000K?
    At 4500K is at least 6 weeks delivery time!
    Help!
    Where can I get Leds between 4000 and 5000K still? Thanks
    Last edited by gecco; 11-06-2016 at 03:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Don't have time for a full response, but take a look here too:
    https://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Powe...c_120_138.html

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Led tech leds are much more expensive because I need them without star

RAKC
    You can buy them there without star

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    https://slickdeals.net/f/9281319-160...si_v2_16616146

Available for $9 off right now w/ code!

Is the charger safe on this set? No worries about overcharging? I went ahead and ordered one...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    The original BT40 Led XP G2 R5 has 115 ° that XP G3 has 125 ° view angle, does this fit?

mtbr member
    Yes, an XP-G3 is a direct replacement for any XP-G2. Viewing angle does not matter, that's just the resulting beam pattern.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    https://slickdeals.net/f/9281319-160...si_v2_16616146

Available for $9 off right now w/ code!

Is the charger safe on this set? No worries about overcharging? I went ahead and ordered one...
    Good decision!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Darnit! Got my lamp but two of the four LEDs do not turn on.

RAKC
    Sadly, that right there is the reason refuse to deal with cheap lights anymote. No Warranty and plenty of bad ones make it out to use. Sorry man, of you bought Off Amazon your ok, if not good luck getting any Support.

mtbr member
    Darnit! Got my lamp but two of the four LEDs do not turn on.
    Don't feel bad. This thread has been going for over a year and you're the first person to report getting a bad one ( I think ). You just rolled a snake-eyes in the Chinese lottery. It happens. Luckily if you bought it off of Amazon you should contact the dealer to get a replacement or refund. Don't be surprised if the dealer sends you another lamp head really fast. ( Note; if you can supply a photo or video of the lamp with the two emitters not working and share it with the dealer this might help speed up the replacement process. To do this put the lamp in the lowest mode. Use a sheet of plain white paper, fold it over and hold it up over the front of the lamp. This will help demonstrate which emitters are working and which aren't without blinding the camera. )

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    LSF bought the Revtronic through Amazon. No need to document defect, just go to Your Orders, select Return or Replace Items, that's pretty much it.

Land of the 230+
    Agree with everyone that Amazon has awesome customer service and they'll take care of you right away. I wouldn't hesitate to order a replacement though. Its very rare they anyone sees any issues with this light. I have two with many hundreds of night miles each, and they still work perfectly despite the usual bumps and wear and tear. If you chat with an amazon customer service rep, theyll usually send out the replacement, and you can return the old on any time within a month.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I requested a refund via Amazon and ordered a new one that should be here by Saturday (I have Prime)...figured this was easier than waiting for them to get the return and then send another out...

It was impressively bright with only those 2 LEDs working though! Will post when I get the new one back...

Not to derail this thread, but can anyone recommend a 2cell 18650 case for the helmet light recommendation of the Kaidomain? I did a search and couldn't find anything...I'd prefer to have a case I can replace the batteries as I have a nice 4 cell 18650 charger.

I used to be totally into radio controlled planes and helis and have some pretty nice chargers for batteries. For the BT40S, how are you storing the pack long term? I'd actually prefer a pack where I can take the 18650s in and out so I can use them for other things...

Thanks in advance for your help!

mtbr member
    ....Not to derail this thread, but can anyone recommend a 2cell 18650 case for the helmet light recommendation of the Kaidomain? I did a search and couldn't find anything...I'd prefer to have a case I can replace the batteries as I have a nice 4 cell 18650 charger.

I used to be totally into radio controlled planes and helis and have some pretty nice chargers for batteries. For the BT40S, how are you storing the pack long term? I'd actually prefer a pack where I can take the 18650s in and out so I can use them for other things...

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Used to be a Fenix 2-cell ( 2S ) cell holder but not sure they are available anymore. Would be nice to have a cheap light-weight two cell holder but the Fenix ones are the only ones I ever saw and they do add more size and weight to the set-up if used on the helmet.

Kaidomain sells good two cell Panasonic battery packs ( with rubber boot ) at a decent price. Carry a spare and you are usually good. I don't usually ride with a two cell on the helmet but when I do I'm usually fine with just the one. If I think I'll be out for more than two hours I'll bring along my spare Hunk Lee two cell and carry it in my bag.

Of course ordering batteries this time of year is likely going to take some time, especially if you're ordering from China.

Land of the 230+
    EDIT: Content removed for safety's sake. What I may be comfortable doing is not necessarily a suggestion that others do the same.
    Last edited by GuitsBoy; 11-10-2016 at 09:40 PM.

RAKC
    Your lucky you didn't damage the cells or the protection circuits doing that. You NEVER solder Li-ion cells with low power, not supposed to do it at all, but a big iron so your on and off extremely quickly is ok, heating things up like that can cause even the best cells to vent, leak, and ignite.

Don't anyone attempt that, this guy got massively lucky.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I just bought the Revtronic BT40s off amazon that I plan to mount on a bar. Can this forum recommend what's a good light I should get on a helmet that similar to the neutral color of the BT40s. Was thinking of getting a cateye volt 300 or something similar (light and motion, bontrager ion, etc...) at my LBS but don't know if those are neutral white.

Land of the 230+
    tigris99, just a couple things...

First, I'm not soldering directly to the cell. Theres a button (protection circuit) on *both* sides of the battery, which is what I'm soldering to.

Secondly, its a 60w iron. Not a 15 or 20 watt radio shack special, but certainly not a 200w gun either. Still, I'm not on there long enough to damage the cells, IMO.

Lastly, I test charge/discharge capacity with a hobby charger first. And afterwards, I always charge in a Lipo bag or on the garage floor away from any combustibles.

Still, you have a point that other people who are unaware of the risks could potentially hurt themselves or others. I have removed my content so nobody is tempted to blindly follow the same choices I've made.

RAKC
    Appreciate the correction sounds a bit better but a lot of people do blindly follow these posts so we have to be cautious. Soldering to cells in general is a really bad idea, even with protection there is a solid, direct thermal path to the cell. Not as bad as without as you said.

You've probably read the stories of packs going critical, still happens these days, worries me some kid will see a post like that and be like " I can do that".

It wasn't the Soldering part that bothered me, the low power iron is what made me speak up cause that's the "higher risk" part of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Sadly, that right there is the reason refuse to deal with cheap lights anymote. No Warranty and plenty of bad ones make it out to use. Sorry man, of you bought Off Amazon your ok, if not good luck getting any Support.
    How right you are. The plastic mounting piece broke on my BT40S. Bought from Gearbest. I asked them if I can buy spare one(s). They just mumbled about expired refund and warranty period and refused to help. I also asked directly from manufacturer and they told to deal with Gearbest :-P

I recall seeing some alternative mounting methods in this thread, going to look after them now.

Land of the 230+
    Appreciate the correction sounds a bit better but a lot of people do blindly follow these posts so we have to be cautious.
    You're right. It was a bit careless for me to suggest doing such a thing, which is why the info has been removed. If nothing else, they will have to do their own research, and therefore will be made fully aware of the risks involved. I will continue rigging up my own packs, and packs for friends, but I understand the risks and feel that they have been mitigated. But still, thank you for expressing your concern and looking out for the safety of members of the forum.

RAKC
    Like I said I have done it too. Built a couple packs that's way.

Thanks for being cool about it!😎

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Ogg View Post
    .......I recall seeing some alternative mounting methods in this thread, going to look after them now.
    Here is an alternative.

GoPro light adapter with fins for additional heatsinking - Page 4- Mtbr.com
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    The simple alternative is the aluminum o-ring mount from DX (DealExtreme). I don't have the link now, but it's been posted before. Certainly nowhere near as nice as Vancbiker's GoPro mounts!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    The simple alternative is the aluminum o-ring mount from DX (DealExtreme). I don't have the link now, but it's been posted before. Certainly nowhere near as nice as Vancbiker's GoPro mounts!

-Garry
    Aluminum Alloy Bike Headlamp Mount Holder w/ Silicone Rings - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

mtbr member
    Perfect! Thanks for posting.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Those Vancbiker mounts look sweet. Sometime I will have to get a couple. I rigged up a makeshift universal gopro mount out of the quickclip, but its not the most aesthetically pleasing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I got my replacement light and all four LEDs work! Gotta say, I am pleased with the light so far...will try to do a short night ride this weekend!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I will receive my BT40 next week, ordered from gearbest. Unfortunately it seems to be a US charger and im in need of a EU charger. Does anyone now any good one to order? Also in need for a carcharger, if there is any suitable ones?

Kind regards

mtbr member
    They're dual voltage, you just need a plug adapter, http://amzn.to/2ftWfQr

action-led-lights.com sells car chargers...

Quote Originally Posted by lojden View Post
    Unfortunately it seems to be a US charger and im in need of a EU charger. Does anyone now any good one to order? Also in need for a carcharger, if there is any suitable ones?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    In case anyone is interested, here's a quick update on my recent ordering experience from Gearbest. I ordered once complete Nitefighter BT40s kit, plus one lighthead only, and a few other little items (cheap Gopro mounts, etc.).

I used the "expedited shipping" option and the shipping insurance option, those came to an extra 5 bucks CAD. It ended up being shipped with DHL, who ended up tacking on their usual customs brokerage fees and stuff, for another $18 CAD. No duties or taxes were added.

Ordered Friday November 4th just before 6PM PST, it shipped 9 hours later, and it arrived at my door on Wednesday November 9, around 1 PM. So, a little less than five days from placing the order to fondling my purchase : ) I figured that by choosing the expedited shipping option it would just make it more likely that it would actually arrive, but when it took less than five days I was really quite pleasantly surprised!

Both lights are genuine Nitefighter, the kit came in the nice box, the lighthead just in a baggie with the nice 3-pack of O-rings.

I also have shipments from Ituo and Kaidomain on the way, placed at about the same time. the Ituo one is almost here and is coming via USPS/Canada Post, so I'm expecting possibly some duties and/or sales taxes to be added once it arrives. The Kaidomain one said that it shipped right away, but after no tracking a week later and an email inquiry, suddenly it has been shipped via DHL (maybe that is their "registered air mail" option?). I'll update with the final DHL fees when it arrives.

mtbr member
    I finally managed my first ride with the BT40s last night. I was a little bit underwhelmed with it but that is probably something to do with the fact that maybe I am comparing it with the BT21 and Ituo Wiz20 I have. Those two lights both have a tighter beam so therefore will actually appear more intense that the floodier spread of the BT40s.

I was using it in conjunction with the BT21 on the helmet and that has 10 degree optics for more throw. Even so, I was only running the BT21 on the medium setting and it still appeared brighter than the BT40s on turbo. The BT40s is rated at 1600 lumens on turbo but it didn't feel like that to me, more like 1200. I'm not actually disputing the claim output of the light it's just that the very floody beam lacks real intensity.

I would class it as adequate for the sort of riding I do but will probably just keep it as a spare or lend it to a friend if someone joins us who doesn't have a decent light. I was a little confused with the runtime as it went to yellow after about 75 minutes but when I got home I read the instructions again and realised that was 50-25% battery capacity so not as bad as I feared. I have bought so many lights recently that I get confused with all the interfaces now!

One thing that did occur to me is the battery level light on the switch at the back. Several people have commented that this is overly bright and they get distracted by it. However, I have to say the light was well out of my eyeline on the bars and I never even noticed it unless I specifically looked down.

Overall I think it is quite a good light for the money, pretty good quality and value for money. It's a pity that Nightfighter don't make the BT21 any more because I still think a decent twin XM-L light gives a better beam pattern than the quad XP-G. If your budget doesn't run to something like an Ituo XP2/Wiz20 or a Gloworm X2 then this is a good budget alternative.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    With a BT21 or YinDing on the helmet what light is the best offer for a decent bar light?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkman View Post
    With a BT21 or YinDing on the helmet what light is the best offer for a decent bar light?
    Depends on your budget and/or riding style. If it were me I'd go for an Ituo Wiz20/XP2/XP3 in order of rising cost and power.

Wiz20 - twin XM-Ls if you fancy a self-contained light. XP2 - virtually the same light but with a separate battery pack and longer run times. XP3 - triple XM-Ls for even more power.

mtbr member
    I finally managed my first ride with the BT40s last night. I was a little bit underwhelmed with it but that is probably something to do with the fact that maybe I am comparing it with the BT21 and Ituo Wiz20 I have. Those two lights both have a tighter beam so therefore will actually appear more intense that the floodier spread of the BT40s.

I was using it in conjunction with the BT21 on the helmet and that has 10 degree optics for more throw. Even so, I was only running the BT21 on the medium setting and it still appeared brighter than the BT40s on turbo. The BT40s is rated at 1600 lumens on turbo but it didn't feel like that to me, more like 1200. I'm not actually disputing the claim output of the light it's just that the very floody beam lacks real intensity.
    Definitely agree with your underwhelming/doesn't work particularly well with a spot optic equipt BT21 impressions on this light. Pairs much better with a Yinding IMO. For me best usage for this light is close/tight trails with limited line of sight distances. Symmetrical floody beam pattern definitely limits flexibility of this light. Light boarders on having too much foreground light which further limits it's already anemic throw (set on turbo). Much prefer no longer available BT70 or BT21 beam patterns overall.

Overall I think it is quite a good light for the money, pretty good quality and value for money. It's a pity that Nightfighter don't make the BT21 any more because I still think a decent twin XM-L light gives a better beam pattern than the quad XP-G. If your budget doesn't run to something like an Ituo XP2/Wiz20 or a Gloworm X2 then this is a good budget alternative
    Discontinuation of the BT21 was a big loss for the budget light arena. At the moment no one has come up with an equal performing and still budget light equivalent but the GearBest project looks promising. BT40s may not be perfect but is still a pretty good light (lots of happy owners) and by far the best budget bar light option currently available. So pretty much just what you said.
    Mole

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    For me best usage for this light is close/tight trails with limited line of sight distances.
    Fully agree here. My locale has a ton if very tight twisty singletrack, a lot of which still requires bars cut under 720 mm wide to get through. The flood beam is perfect when speed is limited due to constantly dodging in and out of trees. But I do agree the light has very little throw, which is why it sucks as a helmet light.

mtbr member
    OTH,
    Your assessment sounds spot on. It is a wider floodier beam which gives the appearance of less output (i.e. lumens). I don't have sphere measurements on a stock BT40S (although I should do that now that I have an un-modded 2nd one), but I'm pretty sure Tig does. You could take an old XR-E LED putting out say 200 lumens and because it has a brighter hotspot (since it's a throwier emitter) it will look brighter or at least similar to an XM-L(2) putting out 2 to 3 times more lumens. You will notice that the flood/spill from an XR-E is much much dimmer. It's an allusion with your eyes. Another thing to keep in mind is that general rule of thumb is that it takes 4 times the lumens for a light to look twice as bright to our eyes.
    Now you see why some like the BT40s and why some hate it. The output is rather easily increased (with basic soldering skills with small components) too. My modded BT40S floods enough light down the trail that it looks like a freight train coming through the woods! (It's overkill and I don't use Turbo or even high very often.)

I should add that trails I ride are mostly tight twisty singletrack too.

-Garry

mtbr member

I was using it in conjunction with the BT21 on the helmet and that has 10 degree optics for more throw. Even so, I was only running the BT21 on the medium setting and it still appeared brighter than the BT40s on turbo. The BT40s is rated at 1600 lumens on turbo but it didn't feel like that to me, more like 1200. I'm not actually disputing the claim output of the light it's just that the very floody beam lacks real intensity....

I can relate to your assessment of the BT40s. The standard quad optic of the BT40S limits it's throw. On the other hand it provides a very good ( wider ) beam pattern in the 75-100 ft range ( depending on trail conditions and mode used ) and lets you see all trail features very well within it's usable range. As long as you use the 40S in combo with a decent helmet lamp that can provide additional throw you should have no problems riding faster trails. I agree it's probably not 1600 lumen but likely more like 1200-1300 lumen. Personally I've ridden with the 40S in the second mode ( 400 lumen ? ) bar mounted with a brighter better throwing helmet lamp on medium and found the combination more than adequate for winding/slower trails. I had no problems with the faster downhills with both lamps at maximum output levels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hi. I have a BT40S for the bars and want to buy a Flashlight for the Helmet.

What's the best led color tint that works great with the BT40S.

Do you have any sugestion on the Flashlight?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    OTH,
    Your assessment sounds spot on. It is a wider floodier beam which gives the appearance of less output (i.e. lumens). I don't have sphere measurements on a stock BT40S (although I should do that now that I have an un-modded 2nd one), but I'm pretty sure Tig does. You could take an old XR-E LED putting out say 200 lumens and because it has a brighter hotspot (since it's a throwier emitter) it will look brighter or at least similar to an XM-L(2) putting out 2 to 3 times more lumens. You will notice that the flood/spill from an XR-E is much much dimmer. It's an allusion with your eyes. Another thing to keep in mind is that general rule of thumb is that it takes 4 times the lumens for a light to look twice as bright to our eyes.
    Now you see why some like the BT40s and why some hate it. The output is rather easily increased (with basic soldering skills with small components) too. My modded BT40S floods enough light down the trail that it looks like a freight train coming through the woods! (It's overkill and I don't use Turbo or even high very often.)

I should add that trails I ride are mostly tight twisty singletrack too.

-Garry
    Can you direct me to the thread with the mods you did? Having been an rc heli and plane guy, I am pretty comfortable soldering...

mtbr member
    It's posted back in this thread somewhere, but likely easier to find they the link in my signature to My Bike Lights thread. But, go back a page (or 2) here where I was helping gecco with an updated version of the mod.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerafael View Post
    Hi. I have a BT40S for the bars and want to buy a Flashlight for the Helmet.

What's the best led color tint that works great with the BT40S.

Do you have any sugestion on the Flashlight?

Thanks in advance
    I think a 3C tint matches best. 4C might be ok. For a torch, take a look at the Convoy lights. Smaller the reflector the floodier the beam. If you want some throw, consider the Convoy M1 or M2. I have 2 M1's built for helmet use. Velcro straps are all I need for mounting. I'd go either XP-G3 or XM-L2. XP-L should be fine too (by the way, you all see the XP-L2 is out?). Look at Mountain Electronics in the US (he ships international too) or FastTech. "Simon" on Aliexpress (sp?) Is head of Convoy I think.

-Garry

RAKC
    Where is the xp-l2??? Can't find it at mtn...

mtbr member
    I saw something about it not long ago at BLF. Probably just a Cree announcement, haven't seen them for sale yet.

Edit -
    Cree XLamp XP-L2 LED

-Garry

mtbr member
    I saw something about it not long ago at BLF. Probably just a Cree announcement, haven't seen them for sale yet.

Edit -
    Cree XLamp XP-L2 LED

-Garry
    Cool! Upgrades are always good news, even if it's only a hundred lumen or so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Besides small lumen upgrade there is probably more important thing. XP-L has tipical Vf 2.95V at 1050mA (85°C) while XP-L2 has 2.82V which is pretty much difference. This means some drivers can stay in regulation some more time.

I'm expecting to see more efficient XM-L3 soon. Hopefuly Cree has plans to do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Some questions here:

If I add two R500 resistors on top of the existing, the resulting resistance gets lower, because it is parallel. The result is more current. Am I right?

If I go to add these two R500s to the existing ones, the light will have 2,8A driver output current.

The LEDS a two in series and two in parallel, so the current will be devided by 2?

If I change this, can I stay with the stock diode and MOSFET?

mtbr member
    Sounds like you followed ledoman's posted formula from post#385 to calculate which sense resistors you'd like to use:

Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    Good catch Archie! We need to open and inspect our lights. BTW, do you know what is U3 chip and it's feedback voltage? Normaly we are seeing something like 5421a or LEDA chip. This one is marked as MH8015 as far as I can see.

EDIT: never mind, I've found it HERE. Feedback voltage is 0.2V. So the current to the leds is calculated by:

Iled = 0.2/RSENSE or 0.2/0.1 = 2A with stock R200.
    RSENSE = R1×R2/(R1+R2)

Adding two R500 on top of R200 would lead to 0.2/0.071 = 2.8A to the leds. Since leds are in 2S2P this is 1.4A per led which is 40% more than in stock version.
    Yes, stacking resistors (placing in parallel) will reduce resistance thereby raising current. As ledoman says above, the current calculated will be divided in 2 because the LED's are wired two in series, 2 in parallel.

The FET and diode are rated "3A Max", so you SHOULD be ok. You might even "pot the driver" to help with heat generated. I simply applied thermal compound all over mine.

See my post#770 which might help you.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thank you Garry. Is there a fitting 5A diode in the smaller package like the stock diode? So the soldering become easier.

Should I use the other MOSFET and diode when I “only“ go to 2,8A to have some reserves?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It is always better to run things some degree below limits. Specialy the electronics which is heated.
    There is enough space to solder some bigger elements. Or you can stack them or solder it laying on side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I think a 3C tint matches best. 4C might be ok. For a torch, take a look at the Convoy lights. Smaller the reflector the floodier the beam. If you want some throw, consider the Convoy M1 or M2. I have 2 M1's built for helmet use. Velcro straps are all I need for mounting. I'd go either XP-G3 or XM-L2. XP-L should be fine too (by the way, you all see the XP-L2 is out?). Look at Mountain Electronics in the US (he ships international too) or FastTech. "Simon" on Aliexpress (sp?) Is head of Convoy I think.

-Garry

Thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    There may be a smaller diode that handles greater than 3A but I'm not aware of it (I'm no expert). The SS54 I used isn't too awfully hard to solder in place.

I'd try it with stock components, but order the "upgrades" just in case so you have them on-hand.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    They're dual voltage, you just need a plug adapter, http://amzn.to/2ftWfQr

action-led-lights.com sells car chargers...
    Sweet! Can i run direct power from the car charger to the lamp?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You could run it directly from that charger if there was enough power. The one linked above has output only 0.8A so you can use only low mode. And of course you would need proper connectors (double female adapter).

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Another question about this light, could you run 8 cells on it? Im not smart enough to know it it would work. I assume the voltage is relatively constant so the idea (for me) would be to get longer run times. Any help would be appreciated. I have the same light with 4 cells

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Sure, so long as you have them in a 2S4P configuration. And the more cells you use the more likely something will come out of balance. Also more important to use quality matched cells.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Any recommendations for good sources? I was looking at KD's hard shell packs. I run a bt40s and a yinding.

mtbr member
    Hmm . . . KD doesn't have an 8 cell Panasonic pack, do they? That would be preferred. Maybe Hunk Lee (FMA Battery) on Ebay? Make sure you stick to name brand cells.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Right on. Probably honestly don't need 8, just me liking the though of plenty of extra run time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    KD has also 6 and 8 cell Panasonic packs as well. Just look at their page. Advertize is scrolling on their main page. If you can't find it see the battery threads.

Edit: I've used phone to answer, now I've behind comp, so here is link: http://www.kaidomain.com/Search/SearchResult.NCR/348
    Last edited by ledoman; 11-24-2016 at 12:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks! I'll look into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Ah they did have 8 cell packs. Couldn't remember and I wasn't in a situation to search for them.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Garry have you noticed a yellow ring around the beam of your G3 LEDs? I have seen some pictures where the ring was not very nice.

RAKC
    That's a cross between the optics/reflectors used and the tint bin of the LED. It's not exclusive to xpg3, all Cree LEDs if used with some optic or reflector will do it and some tint bins will do it.

A beam shot on a wall may not be great but I can guaranty for a bike light you'll like it a lot more than you think.

mtbr member
    I've not used any XP-G3's yet. Still waiting to mod my 2nd one.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I thought you used the G3s for the BT40. My fault.

Are the some beamshots with G3s compared with G2 or XML-U2?
    Last edited by Pinkman; 11-24-2016 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Best to check for beamshots over at Budgetlightforum.Com

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ok. Thank you. I will check that. So what do think about upgrading a BT40 and a YinDing with G3s?

RAKC
    Bt40 will get a boost but not a lot unless you turn the driver up, yinding will be a pretty big downgrade in output. Xm-l2 is designed to run over 2amps, xpg3 is not.

On the binding, xp-l v6 is more of an actual upgrade.

mtbr member
    ^^^ -- What tig said. XP-G3s will be a very slight upgrade, actually more so in terms of keeping the light in regulation longer. You won't notice an output difference without also boosting driver current (at least I doubt you'd notice).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So the XPG3s upgrade for the BT40 is “only“ because they have a lower V_f than the XPG2? So the load for the modded driver is decreased?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkman View Post
    So the XPG3s upgrade for the BT40 is “only“ because they have a lower V_f than the XPG2? So the load for the modded driver is decreased?
    If "load" on the driver is referring to the Amperage the driver is providing the LEDs then the "load" will stay the same. The Watts consumed by the LEDs will be reduced.

With a current regulating driver, modded or not, lower Vf should give longer runtime. I say should because the lower Vf often reduces the driver's efficiency a bit due to the larger difference between Vin and Vf.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Do you know if there is a garmin mount that wee can connect to the BT40s?

mtbr member
    Oh you will get more output (lumens) by upgrading to XP-G3's. It's just that it may or may not be enough to notice.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just ordered two BT40s with the plan of running a handlebar / helmet combo, but reading this thread has now left me wishing I had ordered something with more throw for the helmet. (shame the BT21 isnt around)

My question is will I be able to use the battery pack from the BT40s with another kind of head unit, or do different brands use different connectors?
    Options mentioned further back in the thread are ...
    The Solarstorm X3 and XT40
    Glowworm x2 with spot optics
    Yinding 900 with Ituo spot optics

Any suggestions are welcome, I'm just hoping that I am not 'stuck' with an extra bt40 and will have to buy another whole kit for the helmet. My local trails have some really fast and open sections and the idea of some long range throw really appeals to me.

Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    BT40S is good light for the bar but not so for helmet. Still you can use its battery pack with most lights outhere. You can sell BT40S or have it as spare and buy some Yinding or similar with more throw for the helmet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks Ledoman, guess I will order another head unit and hope it's compatible unless anyone else chimes in with something that definitely is. It would suck to wait three weeks only to find the connectors are slightly different!

Sorry to lower the bar on the conversation here too. my head hurts after spending a few hours here!
    Thanks

RAKC
    There's nothing complicated about the connector. Even the Ituo threaded connectors work great (actually more secure).

These days really the only thing to watch out for is if the connector is male or female coming off the battery. That's the part that can screw you over.

Otherwise some of the bigger brands are a pain like that but these lights that aren't stupidly overpriced like nightrider, cygolight and such, are all pretty cross compatible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedling View Post
    Thanks Ledoman, guess I will order another head unit and hope it's compatible unless anyone else chimes in with something that definitely is. It would suck to wait three weeks only to find the connectors are slightly different!

Sorry to lower the bar on the conversation here too. my head hurts after spending a few hours here!
    Thanks
    Standard BT40s battery works with all my Nitefighter, Gloworm, Yinding, Gemini, Ituo, Magicshine, and Xeccon lights. Most common style battery connector.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yay! thanks for that info. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Garry whats your feeling with the nichias? Do you like the tint?

Are the XPG3 comparable to the Nichia 219CT?

mtbr member
    Yes, I like my Nichias. I'm very interested in comparing the 2nd light with XP-G3's although I don't plan to push that driver to 4A. I use my BT21 (assumed 3C tint) in conjunction with my BT40S with Nichias and that combo works well.

The XP-G3's have nearly the same low vF as the Nichias (at least in the current range we use them), but give sigificantly more output. See this test, particularly the first graph:
    Cree XP-G3, testing a S5 3A emitter | BudgetLightForum.com

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was thinking about creating some copper based PCBs for the BT40s. Are you guys interessted in such PCBs or do you think that is not necessary?

mtbr member
    I know that 2A & under on a single emitter copper pcb's really don't make a difference. I don't know about a quad board though. I'm thinking it's not necessary unless people are boosting the driver.

What's the projected cost?

-Garry

RAKC
    Copper honestly isn't worth it unless they are direct thermal path. That would give a small boost or help a lot for people that turn them up.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that I was posting based on the assumption that Pinkman meant DTP.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Yes, I like my Nichias. I'm very interested in comparing the 2nd light with XP-G3's although I don't plan to push that driver to 4A. I use my BT21 (assumed 3C tint) in conjunction with my BT40S with Nichias and that combo works well.

The XP-G3's have nearly the same low vF as the Nichias (at least in the current range we use them), but give sigificantly more output. See this test, particularly the first graph:
    Cree XP-G3, testing a S5 3A emitter | BudgetLightForum.com

-Garry
    It'd be interesting to see what a BT40S retro-fitted with XP-G3's would look like...assuming of course that a bin is available in the same CRI and temp. range as the current G2 emitter. Likely it wouldn't increase the throw much on boost but my guess is that it would definitely seem brighter when used on the lower output modes. Since the BT40S already works very well on the lower modes, having an upgrade in emitter output would only make it better. Of course if you increase the current coming from the driver and get some better throwing quad optics than one of these could give the dual XM-L2 set-ups a run for the money if used on the bars. ....

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast