Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Like the the new redesigned rear battery door, no chance of coming undone, saying this I have been using my early review sample WIZ20 with the top release lever daily and have not experienced any problems.
    Regarding the new optics. Is that a standard smooth finish optic with a wide angle lens in front of it, or are they wide angle optics? Also would be interested to know if the new optic/lens style does reduce the OF output slightly in comparison to their earlier sample with plain smooth optics. looking forward to see your beam shots.

RAKC
    I have my first version too. I modded mine cause the clip broke and dumped the cells. Now a screw and aluminum clip work good.

New optics are just textured on the front. Nothing different besides that vs the 10 deg optics. Their not wide angle in the sense most think, these are wide spot (25 and 45 deg). Same white holders and everything.

Optics loss increased by only about 20 lumens vs 10deg optics. So very little and impossible to notice. Well unless your one of those that doesn't understand how wider beam pattern effects perceived brightness.

Going to take the new one out from a ride tonight in the fatty.

These are definitely NOT JUST COMMUTER LIGHTS. I use my original one more than any other for a bar light when I go to my trails a few minutes away. Trails further away I bring light that uses pack just for the extra run time. And being they put out almost as much light as a GW X2, more then plenty for a bar light.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

RAKC
    OK couple pics from tonight. These are with the 45deg optic. I like this set up for the bars. Spreads the light out nice and even. Spent most of my ride on medium.

One side note, seems they fixed PWM, I wasn't seeing it like I did in the prototype with camera or git2 action cam!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yes, PWM fixed.
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    ITUO- reliable, affordable, performance bike lights
    www.ituoworld.com

RAKC
    OK had to share what I saw a bit ago.

Seems Ituo is lowering their prices. Not sure for how long or anything but the wiz20, batteries and all for $100. For those that may be on the fence, here you go. If i didn't have the new version already Id jump on this. Me and my "addiction" lol. If I find out anything about all of it I'll post up.

https://www.ituolights.com/products/wiz20

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Dang, that's a great price. $100 is less than I paid for a 800l big brand with the cool blue emmitter. Too good to pass up, thx Tigress. My bank acct hates you, lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Tigress did you get a chance to check out the cells offered with the wiz20? Any info is good cause my wiz20 is in the mail. In hindsight I should have just gotten the light minus batteries. But if they are quality cells, all good! Thx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    Tigress did you get a chance to check out the cells offered with the wiz20? Any info is good cause my wiz20 is in the mail. In hindsight I should have just gotten the light minus batteries. But if they are quality cells, all good! Thx
    Thanks for asking about the battery quality. If I didn't have a $7 paypal balance I probably would have ordered the day you did (have to wait till Monday for bank transfer to clear). Battery decision pending the answer you get from Tigress. Will be able to dump my TAZ 1500 (worst light purchase I ever made).
    Mole

RAKC
    Sorry, been sick so didn't get as far as the batteries.

Yeap I got cells this time.

And I accidently got to do capacity test lol. After my ride (that the pic is from) I threw the light in my bag....it got turned on and I didn't realize it. So figured I'd charge via my good charger and find out.

I charged in parallel on it( set ups for Li-Ion balancing right now) I got 6254 mah, so 3127mah per cell. Lumen output was consistent with using any of my other cells including my 3200mah LG cells (which I think these may be based on performance)

Last edited by tigris99; 03-31-2016 at 11:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi Dirt Road,

ITUO only makes high quality products. So the batteries are also high quality. The battereis for wiz20 we use are panasonic 3200mAh cells, protected. Thanks.
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    www.ituoworld.com

RAKC
    Oh, panasonic, didnt see that coming! Nice, saves me having to pull the wrap off one lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Very good. Approved! 👍

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ITUO Manufacturer View Post
    Hi Dirt Road,

ITUO only makes high quality products. So the batteries are also high quality. The battereis for wiz20 we use are panasonic 3200mAh cells, protected. Thanks.
    Glad to here this is important to you. I Plan on ordering a wiz20 as soon as my bank transfer hits my PayPal account. I'm also very interested in your upcoming mountain bike lights. Any idea how long before they are released for sale?
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi MRMOLE,

Thanks for your support. We will send out samples of Wiz-XP2 for review about in the middle of April and first batch to be available around late of April or early of May. Then next coming is XP4, then XP3.
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    www.ituoworld.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Could I use unprotected LG 3500mAh MJ1 flat top batteries in this light?

Also, could I use this light as a charger to charge a single 18650?

RAKC
    No and no.

The light has no protection for voltage either direction, it's designed for being used with protected cells only. It's literally optimized for the length of button top protected to minimize resistance across the springs.

Also this light is set up for 8.4v, not 4.2v. The USB charger circuit is stepped up to 8.4v (done in the light) So a single cell is not useable at all in these. WIZ 2 is the light that will use and charge a single 18650 cell, but again, protected cells only.

I know there are people that will not like the "protected only" but too many people are careless with Li-Ion cells. So i understand Ituo's stance on the matter (yeap even I had to ask about it cause I use unprotected cells for alot of stuff) Saw a video on the news a few weeks ago of a guy that had a modded ecig that the Li-Ion cell (was inside the ecig) went critical in his pocket.

Now that I clarified that, you "can" use a pair of unprotected cells, no guarantees on performance as my prototype only had the springs at the driver and brass buttons on the rear cover. New version has springs at both ends. But flat top will likely still have issues with flickering in rought stuff. I could be wrong and at some point I'll try it out. But in version one that was definitely a NO GO due to flickering when it got bumpy. BUT, and I STRESS THIS POINT: be very cautious to make sure you don't over discharge and not advised to charge the cells in it unless your going to sit there the entire time. As I said, system is specifically designed to rely on cell protection circuits.

RAKC
    Ok I know I'm going to catch flack for this. And honestly I probably am going to have a huge issue with that much weight.

But since I have the prototype and the new production version, I'm going to try one on the helmet. Some people like full self contained on the lid. And it has its appeal.

So for the "sake of science" and against my preferences, I'm going to tweak a Vanc gopro adapter to mount on my prototype and put 10deg optics back in it. Then run new version on the 45s it has now on the bars. This way I can give my observations of having all the weight up high versus 2 cell on the back and light head up top/front.

See how this goes.

Initial observations though: definitely feel the weight that high up. Have to snug my helmet a bit to keep it stable.

Now since there has been requests for helmet use. I wonder if we can convince Ituo to make something better than what I have going on. Those that use self contained (aka flashlights) may be OK with this on the lid if it wasn't up on a gopro mount set up. Of course you loose adjustability so there's a catch there. Weight higher up or being able to easily adjust the angle of the light.

Last edited by tigris99; 04-03-2016 at 01:50 PM.

mtbr member

Order placed

OK, wheels are in motion, I just placed my Wiz20 order. With all that heat-sink surface area I anticipate this should be a very good light for the hot climate I ride in.

Tigress99
    - I see Ituo has added some product availability dates on the website, any teaser information on the XP series would be appreciated too!! Also I have a Bell Super who's GoPro mount looks like it may lower the mounting height over the picture you posted. Like you this wouldn't be my first choice for helmet duty but I'll at least post a picture.
    "New Light", my Fatbikes are so excited (my other bikes would be too if I rode them anymore).
    Mole

RAKC
    All I know so far is to expect a sample for review in couple weeks. Not sure if they'll be ready to sell at that point or not, well see. Seems samples go out a bit before product is ready to go. Maybe this time theyll be ready close to the same time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    My WIZ20 was delivered. Excellent service by Keith at Ituo. Gonna put it on my cross/gravel bike. Excited to try it out, but I'm about 7 states away from home.
    Give us a complete review MRMOLE!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    .......definitely feel the weight that high up. Have to snug my helmet a bit to keep it stable.

Now since there has been requests for helmet use. I wonder if we can convince Ituo to make something better than what I have going on. Those that use self contained (aka flashlights) may be OK with this on the lid if it wasn't up on a gopro mount set up. Of course you loose adjustability so there's a catch there. Weight higher up or being able to easily adjust the angle of the light.
    The non-finned version of my LoPro adapter would drop the height by 1/4" or so. Might not improve it much, but couldn't hurt.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    Thanks Vanc, didnt even think about grabbing that one. Every little bit helps for where that weight sits.

mtbr member
    USPS tracking shows delivery of my Wiz20 Thursday 4/7. Good timing as our weather will be changing Friday with possible rain. 90° expected Thursday though so should be great evening/night temps. and hope to get at least a couple of hours on the light. Enough time for initial Wiz20 vs. Taz 1500 comparison and if weather is bad for the weekend I'll get some indoor tests in (bounce, center beam and thermal). Be waiting for the Postman so I can get the batteries full charged in time.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Sure is nice not waiting a month for shipping. Getting spoiled between Ituo and Action. Looking forward to your review MRMOLE.

mtbr member
    Sure is nice not waiting a month for shipping. Getting spoiled between Ituo and Action. Looking forward to your review MRMOLE.
    If there's anything in particular you have questions on let me know and I'll try to focus on that some during my first ride. Otherwise it's just gonna be a basic first impression and comparison to my current self-contained light it will be replacing.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Any additional info on optics would be great! Wiz20 runtime, quality, mounting hardware.
    Definitely interested in seeing how this light stacks up against another self contained brand!

mtbr member
    Any additional info on optics would be great! Wiz20 runtime, quality, mounting hardware.
    Definitely interested in seeing how this light stacks up against another self contained brand!
    If everything goes as planned I'll definitely evaluate the mounting system and have a comparison to my universally liked Taz 1500. Runtimes to follow (Tigress99 already published an very nice graph on this) + thermal tests. I have some of the optional 25° optics coming with the light and am going to see if my Gloworm optics can be fitted (will do bounce and center beam tests). Field testing the optics will take a while as I like to try them in different areas. Look forward to your impressions of the Wiz20 too!
    Mole

RAKC
    Mole, I tried the GW optics, it's a no go. Face plate won't sit correctly.

Dirt, I did post all of that in the beginning of this thread. The graph is shown in minutes so you get run time and all that (though my cells weren't Ituo, I didn't have those I used my own in original review). Also videos showing everything as well for stock optics.

Im definitely anxious to get Moles feedback as well. I compared this against my Fenix bc30r, and this blows Fenix lights AWAY!!! Mole having more high quality lights to compare against will give a better comparison than mine though.

RAKC
    Ok Mole, patiently waiting

mtbr member
    Ok Mole, patiently waiting

Sorry this took so long, I had some internet related problems that prevented me from accessing this thread.

The Wiz20 looks are striking (IMO)! Everything is well finished metal and exibits a look of quality that Ituo should be proud of (had to say this cause it really stood out the first time I handled the light). Unfortunately a later than usual postal delivery, longer than anticipated changing time, and an earlier than predicted storm arrival prevented me from getting to test the light on an actual ride. I did run some bounce-test / center-beam numbers and included my GW X2 and Taz 1500 for comparison.

Lux...................bounce test,,,,...,,,center-beam (x 100)

Wiz20....................170...................... .....51.1

Taz1500................136.4...................... ...31.2

GW X2..................190.9......................... .65.9
    (2 spot optics)

***** Bounce-tests always favor a narrower beam (my guess is that the Taz 1500 and Wiz20 produce about the same power in lumins, the Taz has a much wider but less intense beam).

More later!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Good start! hope the weather is suitable for a ride report! Here in Indy rain/snow mix. Enuff already!

RAKC
    Same here dirt. Was mix then looked like a blizzard for a while today. Obviously too warm to stick (I'm West of you) but swear mother nature went bi-polar on us.

mtbr member
    Well we still have less than perfect weather here but I did manage to get a few miles of use with the Wiz20 tonight. UI is pretty much second nature to me having owned Gloworms for a while. The QR mount does what it's supposed to and attaches the light very securely. A secure light helps make the top mounted mode button so easy to use I just had to tap it with my gloved index finger (Wow). I took my Taz 1500 along for comparison and the Wiz20 just blows it away in the ease of use items I just mentioned. Beam patterns aren't comparable. The Taz is very floody and the Wiz is much more of a spot pattern, lots more throw but still wide enough for the paved canal banks I rode tonight. I think the main point here is that you can change optics on the Ituo light and adjust to your preference. At this point I think I need some more time on the light to more closely evaluate its performance but so far I'm pretty happy.
    Mole

Tigress99 - What problems did you have when trying to use the Gloworm optics? I have a couple of unused white outer shells and my GW spots snapped right into them. I don't have the proper tool to take the face plate off but it looks like the outer shell would be the points of contact. Is there some sort of surprise under the face plate?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Sounds like the wiz20 is going to be a good road/rail trail light. Just what I was after. Hows the tint on the wiz20 and what light if any compares? Thx!

RAKC
    Mole:

I just went back and checked, the original I was having issues with the holes for the optics being machined exceptionally tight to the white holders. THe GW optics fit the holders but they spread the locking tabs just slightly and wouldnt allow the faceplate to tighten properly. I just tried it against the newest one, and you have to tighten the screws up pretty darn good to get the face plate to seat down fully, but GW optics fit in it. The original I was afraid of stripping the screws or snapping them off if I tightened any hard. New version has a bit more wiggle room.

DIrt,

Heres my help on that: been using the light A LOT since the start of this thread. Has been my go to bar light when im in a hurry or when its been really cold out. Tint is the same as most NW lights we've messed with around here. Ive sid it earlier but I have no problem saying it again: may not be the brightest or a "fit all" beam pattern (thank goodness for easily available optics) but its solid. Fat bike on trails, through snow, rain mud and on my trail bike getting the snot beat outta it. the original still runs like brand new. the newest versions are literally IDENTICAL inside. ONLY difference to the 2 lights is the rear cover design and the PWM frequency correction.

At least in my opinion, I think youll love yours once you get to use it. Just remember its not cool white so its not going to be what you may be used to.

RAKC
    Ok so was checking to see if there was updates on the XP series. I'll be getting a XP2 for review in a couple weeks or so. As long as there is no issues they should be available shortly after.

There's this though:
    https://www.ituolights.com/products/...8650-batteries

cool white version of the wiz20. That's new. I'm not a CW person but I know plenty here are so I thought I'd share it. Ituo was against CW versions of their lights but seems they are giving it try.

mtbr member
    Got caught in the rain today so the Wiz20 got a 10 mi. drizzle to down-pour water-tight test, PASS. No issues and not surprising after taking the bezel off last night (to change optics) and seeing how well it is sealed. Good seals, kind of a PITA to reassemble though.

Previously mentioned rain also has kept me inside this afternoon giving me time to do some thermal testing. Very cool running light. After 10 min. in 77° ambient temp. room it only went up to 106° (Yinding hit 119° after 2 min.) (no airflow on max. intensity setting, both lights). After 15 min. (high setting again) in front of a 10 in. fan - 96.5°case temp. Wiz20 also cools quickly so it appears the thermal path is good.
    A+ on the thermal test.

(Optics note): Got the Gloworm optics to fit. When putting them in the white optic holders you need to make sure the retention tabs are pushed back into original position or filed down a little (still a tight fit as Tigress99 mentioned). GW spots only provided a 1% advantage over the stock optics on my light-meter so not worth the expense IMO for this light. Havn't ridden with them though and pretty sure I'll like the GW wide-angles (elliptical) better than the symmetric wide-angle accessory ones. Optics take time to evaluate.

Still getting to know the Wiz20 and everything looks great so far!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For those who prefer cool white, the wiz20 CW version (limited quantity) is available at ITUO USA (www.ituolights.com)

Here is the link:
    https://www.ituolights.com/products/...8650-batteries
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    www.ituoworld.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Looks like Friday, I'll be hitting the local canal path. Do an unscientific light throw down to see if the wiz20 is the light I think it is! Waitin on yr optics report mole. Cool that Ituo is offering a cool white version.

mtbr member
    User Review: ITUO Wiz20-004.jpg

Tried something new with the light last night (dual GW wide-angle optics). 41 mi. total, 30 with lights on, mostly canal banks with a few trail mi. (twisty, rocky, relatively flat), no helmet light, Taz1500 along to compare. Taz had more light around the front wheel and a little wider beam both of which were of far less advantage than the additional throw the Wiz20 still had (over 10% center-beam test on my lux-meter). On the canal set up this way the Wiz20 had comfortable throw but I was on the Mukluk (cruise speed around 15 mph) so it may not be enough for a faster mtn. or road bike. What I was most happy about is that I had no problems with battery life on this ride. This is what I would call a typical ride for me and the power indicator was still blue when I got home using a mix of low (50%), med (80%), and some high (100%). Love the light so far, looking forward to trying one of Ituo's mtn. lights when they release them.
    Mole

RAKC
    Nice test Mole. Seems just that GW optics don't spread as wide as the Taz which would explain the better throw as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    41 miles on a fatbike? Nice job MRMOLE. Great info on the wiz20! Optics info top notch.

mtbr member
    Nice test Mole. Seems just that GW optics don't spread as wide as the Taz which would explain the better throw as well.

User Review: ITUO Wiz20-001.jpg

As you can see the Taz has more than one beam pattern. Extra light around the front tire and a wider beam are easily understandable looking at the bottom emitter but I would have though the 2 upper ones would have provided more distance punch than the GW Elliptical optic equipped Wiz20. Normally I'd ride with a helmet light too which would make the difference in throw between the two lights less important, I was just trying to describe the difference in the two light's beam pattern. Haven't yet found an area where the Wiz20 hasn't performed better for me than the Taz which says a lot considering how well though of the Taz 1500 is by other reviewers and owners.
    Mole

mtbr member
    41 miles on a fatbike? Nice job MRMOLE. Great info on the wiz20! Optics info top notch.
    Thanks! I still have the symetrical 25° optics I got off the Ituo website when I ordered the Wiz20 to try and I'd like to actually do a ride with the GW spots. Even though the light-meter #'s are almost identical to the stock spot optics in the past with other lights the GW spots had a slightly wider beam (especially right off the front of the light) which I would probably prefer.
    Mole

mtbr member

25° optics??????

User Review: ITUO Wiz20-002.jpg

First thoughts when I saw the heavily textured optic surface was that I'm probably not going to like these. Usually this type of optic spreads light excessively diminishing throw and light intensity and are not worth these trade-offs for a wider beam. Not this time!

Ride (24mi., 50/50 dirt/pavement) impressions: Beam narrower than expected. Actually a very nice width for this type of light but probably closer to 15° than 25° IMO. Throw also a surprise as in seemed very good. Next surprise - light-meter testing. As with the Gloworm spot this optic produced slightly better lux #'s in both the bounce test and center-beam measurement (retested with same results). A 25° optic shouldn't have better lux #'s than a 10° in these tests. This is the best optic I've tried in this light and the one I'll probably end up using in the Wiz20.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	1064063

...This is the best optic I've tried in this light and the one I'll probably end up using in the Wiz20.
    Mole
    Interesting. This dimpled ( textured ) optic, was this the optic that came standard in the Wiz20 or did you have to buy this extra? I'm thinking it would be interesting to see how this 25° optic would work in other lamps. Anyway I'm thinking that the dimples just add a bit more spill similar to what a textured reflector does to a torch. That would help explain why it doesn't necessarily kill the throw.

Looks like the Wiz 20 is going to cover a lot of bases. Self-contained, very good quality, programmable UI, neutral emitters, road/MTB usable and lastly all at a decent price. Kudos to the ITUO people. I'm still looking forward to the ITUO triple Mountain bike lamp.

RAKC
    I was looking at the difference in the optics and seems the center is identical so the spot itself before hitting the texture is the same. Then the texture to me seems to create a similar beam to the glowworm spot optics. That more square looking pattern.

Mole I have to agree they don't look like 25deg, more somewhere close to 15. I have some 45s too I'll test against other optics. And I have some 60s on the the way. I know I like the 45s myself for trail use and I have enough dual emitter lights I can try each set side by side.

Cat, the optics are purchased separately, the light still comes with 10deg spot optics. Things may change down the line cause as we know, Ituo pays close attention to MTBR and what we post. So if enough people prefer the bit bigger beam, I'm betting they'll change them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Nice work on the wiz20 Mole. I rolled my ankle so no bike for me tonight. Well at least I get to play with my new light with a cold beer and an ice pack on the porch. Maybe I'll test out the strobe mode on passing traffic! Looks like you found a good optics setup!

mtbr member
    QUOTE=Cat-man-do;12582810]Interesting. This dimpled ( textured ) optic, was this the optic that came standard in the Wiz20 or did you have to buy this extra? I'm thinking it would be interesting to see how this 25° optic would work in other lamps. Anyway I'm thinking that the dimples just add a bit more spill similar to what a textured reflector does to a torch. That would help explain why it doesn't necessarily kill the throw.

User Review: ITUO Wiz20-001.jpg

Here's the optics that came stock in the Wiz20. Looks like the LEDDNA 10° that a lot of people have been using in the Yinding & BT21. Throw (center-beam) lux #'s were a little higher with the dimpled optic.
    Mole

***Yes, they were extra***

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Well had a chance to unbox my new Wiz20. I have to say, Tigress and MRMOLE are not exaggerating! This is a nicely built light. First impressions are very positive.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Can this be bought in Europe? The address is locked on US. I also tried with PayPal, but the checkout procedure is also for US address.

mtbr member
    Nice work on the wiz20 Mole. I rolled my ankle so no bike for me tonight. Well at least I get to play with my new light with a cold beer and an ice pack on the porch. Maybe I'll test out the strobe mode on passing traffic! Looks like you found a good optics setup!
    Well how's the ankle? Things like injury's and work can get in the way when trying to find the time to do a light evaluation. Hope your feeling better so you can share some of your impressions of your new toy (Wiz20). I've been using mine with the 25° optics and it's working perfect for my needs. Unlike all my other self-contained lights it's soooo nice to not have to worry about runtime!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ionutph View Post
    Can this be bought in Europe? The address is locked on US. I also tried with PayPal, but the checkout procedure is also for US address.
    You can contact UK dealer:
    Bright Bike Lights | Lights for Mountain Biking, Running and Orienteering
    admin@brightbikelights.com
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    www.ituoworld.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Dealer in the UK Is BrightBikeLights.com, but I can see that Ituo have replied already :-)

mtbr member
    . ...Unlike all my other self-contained lights it's soooo nice to not have to worry about runtime!
    Mole
    MRM, are you finding that the Wiz20 is better for handling the Arizona heat?

I would think with the bigger size of the lamp that the heat build-up would be more readily dissipated. (?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    MRM, are you finding that the Wiz20 is better for handling the Arizona heat?

I would think with the bigger size of the lamp that the heat build-up would be more readily dissipated. (?)
    My impression so far is that the Wiz20 is far better at dissipating heat than any other light I've ever owned. While it won't be long before I can tell you how it handles 100° ride temps. at the moment 85° is about the highest I've used the Wiz20 in. Here's a couple of notable examples of how it performs: 1) The last couple of miles of the trail section of last nights ride I did with a group of about 10 riders so the speeds were a little higher than normal for me (approx. 10 mph). When we got to the trailhead we stopped and I removed my glove and grabbed the light (was set @ 80% power, estimated 80°). I wouldn't even describe it as warm, more like barely any detectable temp. 2) Last week I did a no airflow test (77° ambient) and my infrared thermometer only indicated 106° case temp. after 10 min. (most of my lights reach 150° case temp. and activate their thermal protection modes around 5 min.). My guess is the Wiz20 is going to handle AZ. summers just fine.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm sooo jonesin to ride with my wiz20. Still hobbling around. Definitely seems to have good throw with stock optics. Don't know if the flood is sufficient for my application yet. Definitely have my eye on Ituo 25deg optics. I gotta try changing my bt21 optics as a warmup. I won't be as broken-hearted if it goes badly. I'll still be pissed, love my bt21!

RAKC
    Sorry about the ankle man, been down that rode many times. Only time it's kept me off the bike is if I couldn't hobble to it without a lot of pain . kept me off trails plenty, but I've "sucked it up" just to get a short ride in. Sometimes it actually helped. Other times my wife threatened to sell my bikes if I tried it again before I was healed.

Only you can know, but you'd be surprised at how much a little cruise might do for you.

RAKC
    As promised, video segment from last weekend. Dont mind the noise. I knew my rear brake was rubbing, couldnt figure out why till I got back to the trail head. My 29er sat all winter and one piston was sticking on the rear. THe one thing I didnt think to check before taking out. Once i figured it out was an easy fix but not easy to find off a helmet light and nothing else.

Wiz20 on the 25deg optics on the bars and my XS on the lid

mtbr member
    I have read this thread with great interest. I am currently considering purchasing a Volt 1600 for commuting but this Wiz20 has caught my attention.

Putting value for money aside, can anyone compare it's output, throw, beam pattern, build quality and general usability with the volt 1600? In one video I saw, the wiz20 battery cover appears to be easy to pop open, almost too easy, is it secure ?

RAKC
    The video you saw as the prototype version. A few weeks ago I posted pics of the new version. NO WAY that it's coming open randomly now. It was one of the changes we reviewers pointed out. Instead of that little latch it has a twist lock where the handle locks into the back cover. You pop it out then have to twist it to release the back cover. It's basically a solid twist lock with a redundancy of the little handle locking into the rear cover.

Pretty sweet set up now for that.

Wiz20 does one thing most lights like it can't, you can choose your beam pattern by simply changing optics. The US location will change them for free at time of order as well.

Based on what I've done and Mole has very happily pointed out, the wide spot optic is a great mix of good throw while having the spill needed to see in close.

As for output, wiz20 is neutral white vs I know the volt is cool white. So easier on everyone's eyes and can see color and detail around you better. Lumens are going to be fairly close. Within 100 lumens I would guess which you'd never be able to see the difference in use.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll order one once I can find a dealer where I live.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Great Video Tigris, what camera are you using?

RAKC
    My Gitup git2 I think, lol. Otherwise my git1. But since video is pretty stable and light is a little more yellow than it should be, gonna say git2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Great video Tigress. Demonstrates perfectly why I prefer neutral tint lights.
    Gonna hit my local path tonight with the wiz20 on my bars. Ankle is good to go now!
    Had an opportunity to ride a path next to the mighty Mississippi River last Sunday but
    Decided against it. Old age=slow heal.

mtbr member
    Great video Tigress. Demonstrates perfectly why I prefer neutral tint lights.
    Gonna hit my local path tonight with the wiz20 on my bars. Ankle is good to go now!
    Had an opportunity to ride a path next to the mighty Mississippi River last Sunday but
    Decided against it. Old age=slow heal.
    Glad to hear you're on the mend. Enjoy your ride tonight!!!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Interesting. This dimpled ( textured ) optic, was this the optic that came standard in the Wiz20 or did you have to buy this extra? I'm thinking it would be interesting to see how this 25° optic would work in other lamps. Anyway I'm thinking that the dimples just add a bit more spill similar to what a textured reflector does to a torch. That would help explain why it doesn't necessarily kill the throw.
    Hey Cat,
    Tried the Ituo 25° (white optic holder removed) in my Yinding and GW X2 last night. Bounce test and center-beam results were slightly better than the 10° optics I got from action (so close I'd call it a tie) with a little wider beam. GW XS spot optic still best results by about 5% (3X the cost though).
    Mole

RAKC
    So I decided to try some of the 60° optics for commuting this week. Like having a low beam car headlight now, just without the cutoff. Think I just found my new bar light use optics for this thing.

Playing with it more, I found d I can tone down my helmet light output too. Somewhere around 1800 on the XS (instead of its full blast just under 2500) and balance is nice and smooth where I like it.

Wish glowworm would make a good flood optic for just a big smooth spot or taller vertical wide angle. Too narrow for my liking.

One thing I'm loving about Ituo, so versatile with optics. Can't wait for the XP series as they'll have remotes, then I'll have my perfect trail lights.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]

Wish glowworm would make a good flood optic for just a big smooth spot or taller vertical wide angle. Too narrow for my liking.
    User Review: ITUO Wiz20-002.jpg

Think "X-Beam". I haven't tried this in real life but it looks like it will give you the ability to heighten the beam some. Wall shots give an almost square beam the way the example is setup.

One thing I'm loving about Ituo, so versatile with optics. Can't wait for the XP series as they'll have remotes, then I'll have my perfect trail lights.
    So no XP2 prototype yet? Happy to hear they will have remotes! Any other details about the light or an ETA of when you might get one?
    Mole

RAKC
    Well the remote thing I'm going off the xp3 thread. So I figure they will.

Be a couple weeks yet last I knew a couple tweaks were made before starting first run.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Posting pics is way advanced. Love the Wiz20. Throws like a beast.... Needs more flood. Is there PWM evident? I can hear it in low modes. In turbo, no self contained light i have seen will come close. Tint is best like the bt21/bt40. Panasonic cells/ usb/ .optics/ and quality. Waiting on the h2 triple light from Ituo!

RAKC
    Pwm is not visible even on cameras with the new versions.

https://www.ituolights.com/collectio...m-spot-pattern

https://www.ituolights.com/collectio...m-spot-pattern

They offer other optics to widen up the beam just because stock it's more like a helmet light but some ppl prefer it.

Last edited by tigris99; 04-30-2016 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Posting pics is way advanced. Love the Wiz20. Throws like a beast.... Needs more flood. Is there PWM evident? I can hear it in low modes. In turbo, no self contained light i have seen will come close. Tint is best like the bt21/bt40. Panasonic cells/ usb/ .optics/ and quality. Waiting on the h2 triple light from Ituo!
    Hey Dirt Road,
    It hasn't been too long since I got my Wiz20 and got to use it for the first time. You read all the good reviews but until you see the light and get to use is it really doesn't prepare you for how nice (awesome) this light is. I'm smiling (vicariously) along with you. No buyers remorse here!!!.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Seems Ituo is now on Amazon! I myself like my wiz20 a lot. Gonna tweak the optics (25d)
    For more flood. Very high quality with a lot of versitility thrown in. I love the fact of no proprietary batteries for extended run times and optics changes. $99 bucks helps too!!

mtbr member

Not so good things about the Wiz20

No horizontal aim adjustability. That's it, but something that should be addressed (IMO). Not a problem for most bikes but I do have one that the bars taper back quickly and with the wide mounting area of the Ituo clamp it makes the beam go off-center a little. Some might say it weighs too much (285 gm/light and mount) but I find it hard to criticize over engineering that results is very low operating temperatures. This is after all a commuter light not a performance light even though it acts like one in a lot of ways (almost every way).
    Mole

RAKC
    For the sake of discussion:

I use pretty average bars so haven't experienced that EXCEPT on my mukluk which I have very little room to work with so I have to make sure my mount is up against my stem. Maybe in the future it could be implemented for those that need it. But I think cost would go up.

The weight thing, I used to look at that as well till I actually weighed a battery pack. A 4 cell battery pack weighs as much as this light does. And doesn't count the weight of whatever light head your using the pack for. Heck a 2 cell in a Fenix case is 150g in itself, add the light head and mount of a X2 and your well over 200g already. XS and 4 cell pack your in the 350g range.

So IMHO the weight is right in line with everything else that's out there. It's just whether you want the weight all in one or spread out (and more often than not increased weight). That's why I won't compare weights between self contained and light heads only. Have to compare light head with pack against a self contained unit and ALSO compare outputs since more lumens means bigger light head requirements (or more heat issues).

Now move from bars to helmet mounting and that's where the weight would be an issue for some. All the weight is up top. I can't even ride for long on pavement like that, just can't get used to it. But that's on a gopro adapter. It could be possible with a simple direct mount without the gopro style pivot but then would get a ton of people complaining that it's not adjustable enough. If you go gopro style then a bunch complaining weight is too high. Run into a "can't win and too much negative feedback" problem that way. Personally I'm always set and forget. I don't need to adjust once I'm set. Helmet light pointing slightly ahead of where I'm looking, bar light covering between front wheel and the edge of the helmet light.

Now put this up against other self contained lights, now only one light I've seen can run with this, the new gloworm CX lights. For alot higher cost to match output. Fenix and the others can't do it, don't come close. Heavy, low output, programming and so on, all insanely poor in comparison.

mtbr member
    May 2005

No horizontal aim adjustability. That's it, but something that should be addressed (IMO). Not a problem for most bikes but I do have one that the bars taper back quickly and with the wide mounting area of the Ituo clamp it makes the beam go off-center a little.
    Mount one of my GoPro adapters (if possible. I have not seen a Wiz20 yet) and use one of my swivel GoPro style mounts.

RAKC
    Requires custom mount for these, not a single screw system. 3 small torx screws holding the slide mount bracket to the light head.

Remember that's what I did was use one of your mounts, but had to get specific screws and drill extra holes to make it work.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was pretty sure you had done one, but didn't remember the details.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    User Review: ITUO Wiz20-image.jpg
    Bar extender from the Gearbest website and my wiz20. Helps any cable clearing issues $11.99. Wont work on any bar bigger than 31.8mm, no worky on my cx bike.

RAKC
    I have one of those extenders except only one clamp, saw no need for the dual clamp version at the time. Their great for many things.

Getting rather annoyed, the one weekend the weather was perfect to ride (last weekend) and trails were all open, I get hosed out of it again. Hopefully some trails are open this weekend.

mtbr member
    Was 104° here today so tonight's ride involved some higher ride temperatures (90-95° est.). Ran the Wiz20 on highest setting for a couple of miles straight and then slowed down to 7-8 mph for another mile, stopped and checked the light, only warm. I've probably got another 15° before I see my highest ride temps. of the summer but it's starting to look like I'm just not going to be able to find a way to make this light overheat!
    Mole

RAKC
    I know there's a way to get then rather warm. On high for quite a while but not moving, no air flow.

Even then though I haven't been able to get it hot enough I couldn't pick it up (wouldn't want to hold onto it for long though)

mtbr member
    I know there's a way to get then rather warm. On high for quite a while but not moving, no air flow.

Even then though I haven't been able to get it hot enough I couldn't pick it up (wouldn't want to hold onto it for long though)

I'm sure given enough time with no air flow and a high ambient temperature would get it to the thermal protection mode. Looks like it's going to easily handle 100°+ ride temperatures with no problem though. When I first got the Wiz20 I ran it with no air flow for 10 min. and only got a case temp. reading of 106°. Far better resistance to heat than any other light I've seen.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    No thermal issues here. Of course is 48f temp. Could use a lil heat to warm the hands up!
    I'm going to try my new flood optics out as soon as I get home.

RAKC
    That's one thing I like is leave it on high, it keeps the light warm on cold nights. No cold temp effects on the Li-Ion cells. It's great. Perfect snow riding light as I get fully run time and if hand get cold just wrap them around the light. Takes the chill off.

mtbr member
    That's one thing I like is leave it on high, it keeps the light warm on cold nights. No cold temp effects on the Li-Ion cells. It's great. Perfect snow riding light as I get fully run time and if hand get cold just wrap them around the light. Takes the chill off.

For me the thing that would make it a perfect snow riding light is the fact that the mode button would work well with heavy gloves.
    Mole

RAKC
    I didn't have any problems myself but I don't rely on heavy gloves (I hate them), I use pogies/bar mitts. So much easier. But too I can ride down into the high 20s on trails with nothing more than my bontrager racelite softshell gloves

mtbr member
    I just checked the extended forecast and predictions for my Thur.-Sunday weekend are 110°, 117°, 118° and 114°. This will be a good opportunity to test the Wiz20 in some really high ride temps. Expect some posted temp. test results this weekend.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Mole, look forward to yr to your findings. and yr crazy mon!!

RAKC
    I ride in some heat but ffs. Mole your nuts if you plan in riding in that. My cap is around 95, though I have horrible humidity more often than not, even dry heat like you it's 95 max for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ok, put the 25d optics in today! pretty straightforward install. Hoping for more flood as the stock optics were good, and I'm sure a faster rider would appreciate the throw, but my slow 12-15mph pace (on smooth towpath rail trail) I wanted a touch more flood as I am not even close to outrunning this light. I also have the flood optics to try if these aren't to my liking. The optics are easy to install and swap out. I love having some options with beam patterns and most self contained lights offer nothing in options. Batteries as well.

mtbr member
    Ok, put the 25d optics in today! pretty straightforward install. Hoping for more flood as the stock optics were good, and I'm sure a faster rider would appreciate the throw, but my slow 12-15mph pace (on smooth towpath rail trail) I wanted a touch more flood as I am not even close to outrunning this light. I also have the flood optics to try if these aren't to my liking. The optics are easy to install and swap out. I love having some options with beam patterns and most self contained lights offer nothing in options. Batteries as well.
    Glad to see you're finally trying these optics (25°). From my experience (and testing) you shouldn't lose any throw and gain a small but noticeable amount of flood. Your speeds and usage sound very similar to the rides I've been using my Wiz20 for so there's a good chance you'll like the 25s as much as I do. Look forward to hearing how the flood ones work for you too.

Got some 90°-95° ride temp. usage on the Wiz20 last night. Light remains unfazed and still only feels warm after a couple of miles of max. intensity usage. High temps. are going to ramp up real quick the next couple of days so should have no problem getting ride time in at over 100° ride temps (even though you guys think I'm nuts)
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 06-02-2016 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member

100°, No Problem!

OK, as of last night I know the Wiz20 can handle 100° running at its max. setting. I even kept the speed below 8 mph for a mile or so and while it was starting to feel a lot warmer you could still grab the light and hold on without any discomfort. Good enough for me!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Good stuff MRMOLE. Looks like hot or cold, this light does its job. I've yet to ride with the new optics. Plus it's like 80 here, my cutoff is 75f.....

RAKC
    75f, that's like prime, push myself to the point of my legs barely able to hold my weight when I get back to the car type weather . I'm not in great shape and a big guy (still got like 30lbs I'm trying to loose, 276 lbs ATM).

But too I ride from 10F up to lower 90s. The high end kind of sucks cause jerseys are too heavy, trying to find shirts like one I used to have. Athletic short material but stupid thin, was way cooler than jerseys or the normal stuff I find at stores. Though being cheap and trying not to buy MORE UA gear. Wife cut me off on that for a while after everything I bought so I could dress "light" but still be warm for fat biking in the winter.

That said, I have NO IDEA how mole rides a fat bike in his temps. Above 80 it's the 29er, the fatty just drains me too fast cause I try to go as fast as I do on my 29er.

mtbr member
    that said, I have NO IDEA how mole rides a fat bike in his temps. Above 80 it's the 29er, the fatty just drains me too fast cause I try to go as fast as I do on my 29er.

Riding in the heat or cold mostly depends on what your used to. There's a summer night ride series here I participate in that sometimes has close to 200 riders attend so I know I'm not the only one riding in these temps. Things that help me: 155lb normal weight, 10,000+ miles a year, Ti Mukluk - 28lb, Carbon Beargrease - 23.6lb, 4.0 Jumbo Jims on both fattys. So you could say our human bodies are just as thermally flexible as the Wiz20, just less comfortable at the extremes.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    10,000mi? Damn mole! I rode 2000mi last year and 1500 was on a 19lb cx bike.... Man I'm slackin! I did get a short ride in last night. I really liked the wiz20 before. But with these new 25d optics, this light freakin rocks! It seems to have picked up a decent amount of flood, and still gets out there. More ride time will tell, but these 25d seems the sweet spot. Still may pop the flood optics in if I get some time to ride my local mtn bike trails and use it for my bar light. Versitility is always good.

mtbr member
    I did get a short ride in last night. I really liked the wiz20 before. But with these new 25d optics, this light freakin rocks! It seems to have picked up a decent amount of flood, and still gets out there. More ride time will tell, but these 25d seems the sweet spot. Still may pop the flood optics in if I get some time to ride my local mtn bike trails and use it for my bar light. Versitility is always good.
    Was pretty sure you'd like the 25° optic. The stock 10° is a little too spotty for my taste and instead of the 25° being just a better balance of throw/flood it's more like you get extra flood for free since the center-beam lux #'s are almost identical (with the Wiz20). More power per optic could change the way these optics compare though. I was looking at the chart action published using these optics in a new Xera (900+ lumens out of 1 optic) and the 10° had a sizable throw advantage over the 25°. Be interesting to test this when I get my XP2
    Mole

Name:  1044790d1453504525t-2016-gemini-lights-xera-duo-optics (2).png
Views: 284
Size:  88.8 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The wiz20 is the 1st light I cracked open for optics change. Went very smoothly, with good results. Now onto my refurbs! 3rd spot going in my xs!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast