mtbr member
    Jan 2008

User review: Blackburn super flea initial impression

This is just my INITIAL impression. I will add to this thread later after a few night rides. AFAIK, this is a brand new model to Blackburns line up. Ok, this is how far I am with this light. I opened it up, read the instructions, which said to run the light until the unit shuts off (I thought this was bad for the battery???) automatically to get the most accurate "Fuel gauge" reading. So I did, (well, I tried)......The doggone thing went almost 24 hours on a steady burn (1 of 3 modes) mode!!!!!! I finally said enough and plugged it in. So far, it seems to take a VERY long time to charge up using my lap tops USB.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Any computer guys out there? How do I know if my USB is charging properly?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGESAM View Post
    Any computer guys out there? How do I know if my USB is charging properly?
    It was working just fine, just VERY slow to charge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i charge mine off of a usb cable connected to a standard outlet.

i started it before i went to sleep so i don't know how long it took

joel

mtbr member
    Looks to be an interesting offering from Blackburn. The standard rear Fleas were pretty bright. I'm curious as to how bright this new "Super" Flea is. One weakness might be the seat post mounting. It doesn't look like the mount can be adjusted. For a $45 light it needs an adjustable seat post mount. Looks like it only has two modes; steady and flash. Not enough features for something in this price range but it does look to offer some good run times. If the lamp is bright with a nice beam spread it might still be worth the money...maybe.

SSam, do you have anything else to compare it too? Look forward to more of your review.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hi C-M-D! I have a cheap Bell unit from Wally world. The Super Flea (From now on, referred to as S.F.) has Three modes (maybe 2 1/2) 1. Steady 2. Strobe 3. Chase It has a Very sturdy metal clip and the seat post mount is angled and you can flip it over to get the proper angle. There are FAR better options I'm sure for side 180* visibility. This has three L.E.D.s, the center one has a lens which seems to focus the light for major throw. So far, I would say a bit spendy but the run time was outrageous. I'm going to have my better half record me tonight as I ride by.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    oooooops!

i have the flea 2.0 NOT the super flea.

sorry

i can tell you the flea 2.0 comes with a velcro strap that goes around your seat post and then you can slide the clip on the back of the flea 2.0 onto that - ha!

joel

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you are looking for something really bright I just bought Serfas Thunderbolt as I'm headed to Canadian Rockies for some riding and am doing a road ride one day.

I wanted a light that can be noticed during the day. I could hardly turn this thing on at night is so freggin bright. You can easily see this in bright sunlight.

https://www.serfas.com/products/view/668/

The mounting system is good as well as I can mount this pretty much anywhere. Also, the light doesn't have to be pointed right at you to be seen. It can easily be seen from different angles.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. Just thought this might be helpful.

MB

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    If you are looking for something really bright I just bought Serfas Thunderbolt as I'm headed to Canadian Rockies for some riding and am doing a road ride one day.

I wanted a light that can be noticed during the day. I could hardly turn this thing on at night is so freggin bright. You can easily see this in bright sunlight.

https://www.serfas.com/products/view/668/

The mounting system is good as well as I can mount this pretty much anywhere. Also, the light doesn't have to be pointed right at you to be seen. It can easily be seen from different angles.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. Just thought this might be helpful.

MB
    No problem. The more info, the better.