mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! USB Rechargeable 4 Modes Bike Bicycle Cycling Front Rear Tail Light LED Lamp

Hey, I just brought a bike light for my BMX Muddyfox. It was from ebay so I don't know what to expect. The item cost was £2.85 and apparently, its from Manchester but since it was from an auction site, it could be from somewhere not in the UK. I was wondering if any of you can look into this and give me suggestions on either to keep it or send it back.

Seller Info:
    99.8% Positive Feedback
    16 negative reports
    7,500 positive reports

Item: USB Rechargeable 4 Modes Bike Bicycle Cycling Front Rear Tail Light LED Lamp New | eBay
    Last edited by Vexo; 12-30-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Changed a few bits and bobs - bolded important info

RAKC
    It's typical Chinese cheap junk. It'll function but there's a reason why it's so cheap.

When it comes to safety on the road is your life really worth saving a few dollars?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

New question here. Worried.

Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    It's typical Chinese cheap junk. It'll function but there's a reason why it's so cheap.

When it comes to safety on the road is your life really worth saving a few dollars?

I am not cycling on roads. I mostly cycle on sidewalks. Im worried about the charging bit though. Would it be safe?

mtbr member
    I bought one of these a couple of years back for kicks. I use it as an extra blinker to the two main ones when I am riding on the road. Certainly not the brightest but still charges and works well till today. Just charge it under supervision when you are at home. It's a very small battery and should not give you grief.

If branded product had a 0.21% (16 of 7500) failure/unsatisfactory rate, it would be considered a hi-end product. Shocking isn't it?

Edit: Adding pic of the Tail Light in question and Mars 30. Would estimate the 5 LEDs to add up to about 8-10 lumens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USB Rechargeable 4 Modes Bike Bicycle Cycling Front Rear Tail Light LED Lamp-p1000632.jpg  

Last edited by mtbRevolution; 12-30-2016 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Adding picture
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

RAKC
    If your just riding sidewalks and paths, that should work fine

Thing is if being sold on eBay you have a level of protection and usually the cheap stuff functions fine for stuff like you intend. The issue with cheap stuff is usually under performing and/or doesn't last.

Only thing I would worry about, don't charge on a flammable surface and don't expect it to be water resistant even if it says so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Good job! Thanks

'Certainly not the brightest but still charges and works well till today. Just charge it under supervision when you are at home.'

Thats fine. I don't want it that bright. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Rod
    mtbr member
    It's not worth sending back for that price and if he got two years of use out of it you may have found a good product. I would put some money aside for a higher quality tail light because it will die or fall off. Mine usually fall off first. Fyi. I've had great luck out of cheap watch battery trail lights

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    It's not worth sending back for that price and if he got two years of use out of it you may have found a good product. I would put some money aside for a higher quality tail light because it will die or fall off. Mine usually fall off first. Fyi. I've had great luck out of cheap watch battery trail lights
    It is certainly a very useable product regardless of price. True that tail lights falls off too easily. I always recommend using zip-ties rather than o-rings to secure tail lights to seat post. With this particular light there are 4 anchor points. It will not fall off even in the bumpiest of rock gardens. Problem is you have to cut the zip-tie and refit everytime you charge it - the functional waterproof cap is located behind. I won't do it any other way though. It may be dirt cheap but I don't want to order and wait for replacements if I can avoid it.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com