mtbr member

US source for 6x Battery box?

My google-fu sucks. Maybe you guys can help?
    Looking for something like this, 6-cell 18650 but hopefully ships from the US, without the 2-3 week lead time.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 9.47.34 AM.png
Views: 132
Size:  198.5 KB
    This picture is from an eBay store in Shenzhen, China.

I have a good sealed Magicshine 4x battery pack, but it's not currently meeting all my needs, namely:
    1) 4 cells don't last long enough for my longest rides- I have a few 24-hour team races planned this year, and will need lights for at least two 2-hour efforts with about 2-3 hours between.
    2) I have 6 "loose" Samsung 18650 batteries from a laptop that was less than a year old, and got....aahhh...broken. Batteries are in great shape, but I need a way to put them to use without a bunch of DIY soldering and shrink-wrapping that I would undoubtedly screw up and hurt my self.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No way, no how, would I trust one of those battery boxes for a race.

My experience is not with that box in particular, but I found battery holders using springs on one end of the cells for connection to not be reliable. The cells bounce on hard hits and lose connection momentarily. Some lights that just makes them flash. Others may turn off completely or change modes.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    ...agree. I think if you are a serious enough rider to want to compete in a 24 event it makes no sense to "cheap out" on the lights and batteries you are going to use. That would be like saying, " I'm going to race and is this yada, yada, mountain bike at Walmart going to work for me"? What works for the novice doesn't necessarily translate over to someone who wants to compete. It's enough to worry about that when competing in an event that you don't want anything mechanical on your bike to fail. To check that you make sure your bike is in top shape and ready to roll before the race. Last thing you need to have happen is to be flying down some never-before-ridden remote downhill ( with other people all around you ) and have your cheap-a** light or battery fail on you.

If you decide to buy a 6-cell holder if I were you I'd at least make double sure that it is reliable enough before using in a race. If not than you need at least two sets of good 4-cell batteries ( assuming you are using a bar and helmet lamp ) and then a special charger that will fast charge the batteries that you switch out when in the pit area.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice.

For the usual weekly night rides, my Cygolite 1100 on my head and my Magicshine on my bars is enough.

Iím racing the Ďno-skill requiredí dirt-roadie 24-hrs in the Old Pueblo, not exactly worried about anything getting bounced loose. People race this on CX bikes.
    Looking for a cheap way to have lights for my 2nd set of night laps and thought this might work because I already cannablized 6 laptop batteries. I was looking for a US source for a box so I could give it a test run before the race on Feb18-19th.

Iíll probably just use the single Cygolite for one set of laps and the magicshine for the 2nd set.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    .....If you decide to buy a 6-cell holder if I were you I'd at least make double sure that it is reliable enough before using in a race.
    Yep. You need to see how tightly the cells are in the box. Do they compress the spring substantially? They need to. Protected cells might be better for that as they are typically a bit longer than un-protected cells like your salvaged batteries. Put it together and test. Knock the box around and see it the light blinks or turns off. One final thing, I found it better to mount the box horizontally rather than vertical. Tolerated hits better that way.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Rod
    mtbr member
    You could always pick up another self contained light for $60-65a or a magicshine.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

because GIANT
    get a good 4 banger

and just plan a battery swap stop. much better imho

carry 4 spare 18650's
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    get a good 4 banger

and just plan a battery swap stop. much better imho

carry 4 spare 18650's
    I'd prefer 6 for a longer run time, but I can get down with that, if good 4-cell boxes exist. Where can I find a "good 4 banger"?

I've seen lots of posts discussing good chargers that are built to charge and balance individual 18650 cells....so my question is; what are those cells going into? single battery flashlights?

Or is it just that a 6-cell box isn't a common thing, and I haven't found a quality 4-cell box because I wasn't looking? They all seem to be inexpensive Chinese boxes like the pic in my first post.

mtbr member
    There are no quality 4 or 6 cell boxes (that we've come across), only 2 cell holders. I'd go with 2 4-cell welded packs, can't be that hard to switch plug out of one into the other.

-Garry

because GIANT
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    No way, no how, would I trust one of those battery boxes for a race.

My experience is not with that box in particular, but I found battery holders using springs on one end of the cells for connection to not be reliable. The cells bounce on hard hits and lose connection momentarily. Some lights that just makes them flash. Others may turn off completely or change modes.
    I agree about (not) using them for racing. But the bouncing problem might be mitigated with wrapping cells so they hardly move in the case. This prevents boucing them, at least in a SS 4cell box this was the case.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    Nope, those are the ones we were discussing above with bouncing problem, let alone parasitic drain and noticeably voltage drop. Long story here: Review: New "Solarstorm" 2S2P 8.4V "water resistant" 4 x 18650 battery case for bicyc

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Has anyone tried these?

VRUZEND DIY Battery Kit

mtbr member
    Interesting. I might try these out in the future. Thanks for posting!

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post

-Garry
    Agreed. 28 dollars isn't a bad price.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Yeah, considering you can assemble quite a few packs. Have to add in cost for the pcm circuit though and the 7A pcm I used from Hunk_Lee was $6.95 or $11.95 for 2pcs. You can get also get a 4A for $5.50 or 2pcs for $9.95.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Good pricing on cells.

How do you wrap the assembled pack to keep it from shorting out or the caps from working loose?

Where would you get a neoprene case that works with a velcro strap to fasten it to your bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post

-Garry
    Something I stumbled upon when building my electric skateboard. It was just too much to take on with a 10s4p pack and my first build.