mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Under $250, single track use,suggestions?

I will be doing 12 hrs of Santos and was wondering what a good pick would be? The vortex trails can make me nervous in daylight and I just want to be prepared for this.I've been looking and I would rather have cordless and just curious of who's running what. Also is it imperitive to have a helmet light for this type of ride? I find myself looking thru corners before I get there so I think that would be important. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You absolutely want to have a helmet light to go along with your bar light. Why cordless? I've never had any issue with the cords from my pack gettin in the way. Also, it's much better to not have the weight of the batteries on your helmet.

How long does your pack need to last? For how much of the 12-hour ride will you need lights?

A good budget solution to puts out quite a lot of light is to get two (one for the bar, one for the helmet) of the T6 XM-L that you can find at LED Bike Light T6 Water Resistant XML-T6 3-Mode 900-Lumen with Battery Pack NEW | eBay I did an offer of $45 each shipped for two lights and it was accepted. I got the lights within 5 days.

You can pretty easily modify the headband mount to work on a helmet. The battery pack for the helmet light can go in the upper compartment of your camelback. The pack for the bar light simply goes in the center of your bar. It's light and small enough that you won't notice it or the cord.

Next, go the the Action LED website Action LED Lights - Brilliant lighting for all your biking & outdoor sporting activities. and get two replacement MJ-808 reflectors (to soften the hotspot) and one wide-angle lens for the bar light.

I use this light on my helmet with an MJ-836 (same output) on my bars. It does a great job lighting up the twisty, tree-lined E.Texas singletrack we use here. If you really want to throw some extra light, put two on the bar and one on the helmet. Or you can get one of these for your bar - MagicShine MJ-816E LED Bike Light Set You'll still be way under your $250 budget.
    Last edited by PinkFloyd; 01-01-2012 at 08:52 PM.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Geoman Xera, y cable and a second Xera lighthead. One optic, one reflector, both on the bars. The only night rides I do are single track and with both of these rolling on high I am good to go. LOVE it. Turn them down or turn one off on climbs to stretch run time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just think about if I do depart from my bike during the race what will happen with the cords? I did not think about e-bay. I was also unsure about what lights are common. There are a lot of different brands. I'd say at least two hours of run time maybe 3. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If your helmet light battery pack is in the camelback and the bar light pack is strapped to the bars, nothing happens with the cords if you depart the bike.

If you need 2-3 hours duration on high, I suggest getting in touch with one of the distributors like Action (Jim is very responsive to e-mails) or Geoman and see what capacity packs would suit your needs for whichever light setup you settle on. They also can help you with light selection within your budget.

mtbr member
    Hey Rowe925,

With our Trade-In Program you can get a Strykr II system that normally retails for $299.95 for $199.95 or the new Strykr SL that is equally at home on your helmet or handlebars for (comes with both types of mounts) the Strykr SL normally goes for $339.95 but with a trade-in it goes for $239.95.

For your technical terrain the wide angle lenses that come in the Baja Designs Strykr series might be perfect. The systems come with a lifetime warranty on everything but the batteries which have a two warranty.

Here's a link that kind of shows what we are all about: Baja Designs Bicycle Lighting - Local Business - San Marcos | Facebook

If you have any questions or would like me to send you the form for the Trade-In deal my email is:
    Shannon@BajaDesigns.com

Good luck in your lighting quest!

Shannon