prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007

UltraFire UF-18B - Out of the Box

Just received this light in the mail. Took about 2.5 weeks from CN Quality Goods.

Out of the box: Solid, very nicely machined housing. I really like the form factor. There is one semi-major design flaw, and that is the clamp. While nicely made, It's just too small to fit on oversized bars with the foam pads inserted. It will fit on normal bars with the pads.

I am a 18650 Bike/Flashlight advocate. I've got last years and this years Lezyne SuperDrive models, and I really like both those lights. I saw this one and for $45 it was hard to pass up.

Light performance: I don't have any pics, nor do I intend to provide any. But...brightness and beam quality is better than i expected. It's a brighter, more focused beam than either Lezyne light. Color is a little cooler than I would prefer, but passable. My guess is the light puts out about 600-650 lumens based on my Lezyne Super Drive XL output.

One other design flaw is the hi-lo setting: there is none. it's off or on. if you double click while on, it flashes. If you hold it while it's on, it works like a dimmer switch, gets down to the lowest setting, and if you're still holding it down, it then reverses direction and gets brighter. I hate this. I want a low, med, hi, and flash mode.

Real Life Performance: Currently on hold as it's been bloody cold here in Boise (single digits after dark) for a couple weeks now and I cannot find joy in riding at those temps at night! Will update this review once I've had a chance to ride with it.

Overall initial impression, I'd say for $45 bucks and free shipping, it's not a bad deal. But you'll need to provide batteries if you don't own 18650's or a charger...That said, I'm sure you can pick up a nice $45 18650 torch and a 2 fish and get similar performance, AND have a multi-purpose light to use for activities other than riding...

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    attaching images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UltraFire UF-18B - Out of the Box-image.jpg  

UltraFire UF-18B - Out of the Box-image-1-.jpg  

UltraFire UF-18B - Out of the Box-image-2-.jpg  

UltraFire UF-18B - Out of the Box-image-3-.jpg  

UltraFire UF-18B - Out of the Box-image-4-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Do you have any runtimes? I know the Lezyne SD XL will run for 2.5hr on medium until it will reduce power with the stock battery. I have tested it with a 3400mah battery and it increased to 3.5hrs at the same 350lm output. I would like to see how efficient this light is in comparison.

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Do you have any runtimes? I know the Lezyne SD XL will run for 2.5hr on medium until it will reduce power with the stock battery. I have tested it with a 3400mah battery and it increased to 3.5hrs at the same 350lm output. I would like to see how efficient this light is in comparison.
    None yet. I'll try and get a runtime on my first ride with the light. Well, I'll do a 1.5 hour ride and see if it's able to hold out that long on high with a 3400mah battery. If it can do that, it's well worth the $45!

mtbr member
    That would be a decent run time for a small 500lm light (assuming the 700lm description is an overestimation). Let us know.

BTW, my MS-816 uses the same stepless dimming feature. Its a pain while riding over bumpy sections to get the level you want (riding rigid), but, is nice to be able to set it to an adjustable level other than just 3 set power modes.

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    Don't buy this light unless your bars are 25.6mm or smaller. Another great idea with a half-tard execution...

The mount is easily removable though, so I will use a spare lezyne mount and have a friend mill a part to fit that.