mtbr member

UltraFire MT-05S 1*Cree XM-L2 T6

Has anyone tired one of these:
    $18.62 UltraFire MT-05S 1*Cree XM-L2 T6 2-Group 3+2 Modes 900LM Cool White Bike Light - black / 1*7.2-8.4V battery pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I've been looking for a backup light and a light to use on shorter rides. Originally I was just going to pickup a standard magicshine T6 clone but then I ran across these. Always looking for a different light to play with but I'm not really sure what the light ring is all about. Is it just decorative or does it add extra flood to the light?

jl
    climb
    Looks pretty good, but there is no battery pack.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That looks pretty good. It has three steady modes. Not sure what the light ring is. Does the clear plastic on the front have it's own light? I think it flashes and is activated by the second button. That could be useful on road/city excursions. It has xm-l2 also. I wouldn't expect 900 lumens, maybe 400 or 500, but that's pretty good for a backup light.

It also looks like it has a built-in diffuser similar to the action led wide-angle-lens for the 808. That's a cool feature

There were a couple of threads last year about similar looking mini-lights. I seem to remember that they were pretty happy about them.

$18 is a good price, but you could also get a solarstorm x2 lighthead for around $20-$25.

mtbr member
    These types of lamps are popping up at all the Chinese websites. I almost bought one because they are so inexpensive but I really have no need at the moment. ( no surprise there... )

The light ring is an illuminating ring around the front of the lamp. Think of it as a "running lamp" similar to the "Angel eyes" setups used on some cars. This lamp has a flood lens on front. I've seen versions on Kaidomain with standard clear lenses ( ~ $17 ) Hey....for a multi-mode XM-L2 T6 lamp for $17..., hard to beat the price. If these start to sell expect the price to go up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yep looks nice Here is the clear lens version: $18.62 UltraFire MT-05 1*Cree XM-L2 T6 2-Group 3+2 Modes 900LM Cool White Bike Light - black / 1*7.2-8.4V battery pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

But the 8000-8500K tint 0D There should be a nice T6 4C one instead of U2 0D. Acutally I have SS X2 as a backup or 880 clone, so I probably won't need this one but hard to beat the price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

mtbr member
    I recently ordered the wide angle UltraFire MT-05S from FastTech, but the one they sent came with the clear lens (it was still the same gold color). They want me to return the entire light (to their Miami location / return service shipping partner). I've gone back to them about them just sending me a new correct lens. Ugh!

-Garry

mtbr member
    So I checked out my MT-05S in my backyard last night. Pretty nice light. 3 nicely spaced modes, HOWEVER, the "low" is way too low for cycling use! (Better suited for output levels of a flashlight.) Possibly ok for trailside repair, but you will have to cycle through it everytime you want to come back to high mode. The "Med" mode is a nice "low" level for a cycling light (well in my opinion anyway). The outer ring of light sends light into your face and is distracting. It's too low of an output to see anything anyway (even too low for trailside repair use). The flashing mode of the ring light could be good for "be seen" use, however it's still in your face and distracting (unless you'd helmet mount it). The main light has a good balance of flood and throw due to using a rather small reflector. With mine having the regular glass lens and not the wide angle lens it doesn't have a very wide flood, but probably sufficient for someone wanting to run a single light.

I gave up on FastTech trying to send me the correct lens or send me a replacement unit (after me sending mine back) and decided to open up the light. The outer ring of lights is mounted on the same PCB as the XM-L2, so I can't do the easy emitter swap I had hoped to do (swapping in a neutral white tint). Also, I don't believe there is any thermal compound under the emitter board, but I can't get the emitter board up to put some in. In fact, I can't get the "pill" out of the head. The reflector assembly does seem to screw down tight against the emitter and press it tightly against the pill at least. Left on high a few minutes, the body does get warm, but not extremely hot. According to another user, the light runs the emitter at just under 2A on high, so it shouldn't be getting extremely hot anyway. Tint looks "pure white" cool white; no hint of blue or green. Still lacks the vividness given by a neutral white tint.

All in all I do like the light, just disappointed that they still missed the mark with it! It had a lot of potential.

-Garry