Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

UltraFire D99 a promising new 2x light?

I've been waiting for the Lupine Piko or the Gloworm x2 knockoffs:
    UltraFire D99 2 x Cree XM-L T6 1600lm 5-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Black + Silver (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

It's still quite a bit larger than the Piko but it's getting closer. Would be nice if a lower, non o-ring mount was available for the helmet though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It looks like it cycles through all modes. Poor UI in my opinion. I do not want to cycle through multiple levels and a strobe, especially with no remote switch, to get from high back to medium or low.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    It looks like it cycles through all modes.
    Looks like two buttons on the back, but weird they aren't the same size.

No battery is a deal breaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Looks like two buttons on the back, but weird they aren't the same size.

No battery is a deal breaker
    Yeah, no battery, still...not a bad price for a duel XM-L emitter lamp head that looks very much like the Gemini Duo. Not sure what the two buttons are about. Maybe one is simple on/off.

Interesting that now you can buy 3 or 4 XM-L emitter lamps and now a duel at cut-rate prices. Sure the mode set-ups aren't fancy and the battery quality questionable at best but if this stuff was available when I first started riding at night I would of be on this real fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    buy cheap, buy twice. some things are worth the extra outlay IMO

mtbr member
    That looks great indeed. I would get it to use with my 18650 battery if it had an OP reflector and/or flood lenses like the X2... Great price indeed for those who don't mind getting cheap lights and are looking for an upgrade from the 808 clone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Looks interesting. Anyone taking the plunge?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    In the list at the bottom it says what the buttons do

. Green button: Mode switch and on / off button; Orange button: One-touch fast strobe mode button;
    So it could be that you can skip the strobe mode during the normal use of the light. That would be cool. These clone manufactures need to get it through their heads that no one wants to go through a strobe mode in order to get back to the high mode.

Not having a battery is a plus in my book, the connector looks like a magicshine connector, so I would just get a battery from action led.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would guess the orange button is to turn the second LED on/off. The large button is probably used to cycle through the modes and the second is just to turn one LED off.

If only it was a smaller. I'm still waiting for a Lupine Piko size knockoff.

mtbr member
    2 XM-L LEDs, a mount, cable and a host for $40 isn't bad at all. I'd junk the driver and put in something better, then you'd have a pretty decent light head for ~$70-80.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I wrote to Ultrafire from their website homepage, as I could not see it listed on the store page or the homepage. They told me it was not from Ultrafire, that they are not the manufacturer at all,
    I wrote DX to ask about the batteries too VARIDER, and they told me only the new clone batteries work, like sku 153971 or sku 155514. People on CPF have stated that they have used the magicshine batteries with the new clone lights, but the plugs are not a tight connection, and also not waterproof.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Do the modes cycle through the off mode? If "off" is hidden, then I approve of this UI and the mode spacing. Well, the spacing between the last 3 modes is wonky, but a 15% low mode is useful. If selling without a battery lowers the price by $10 or more, then I'm all for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looks like there's a 3 lamp version now... Item 179088

UltraFire D88 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm 5-Mode White Light Bicycle Lamp - Black + Silver

Moved the switch to the top. I think that is the one that glows with the battery indicator. Don't think I'd like that if it were on the bar mount - like you would really helmet mount this beast?

Will let you know about the D99 when it shows up in another month or so...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rpnbilly View Post
    I wrote DX to ask about the batteries too VARIDER, and they told me only the new clone batteries work, like sku 153971 or sku 155514. People on CPF have stated that they have used the magicshine batteries with the new clone lights, but the plugs are not a tight connection, and also not waterproof.
    Ah OK, good to know.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I wrote DX to ask about the batteries too VARIDER, and they told me only the new clone batteries work, like sku 153971 or sku 155514.
    Hopefully that means that the 4x26650 batteries will work too
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020905
    High-capacity 10000mAh 8.4V 4*26650 LED Bike Light Battery Pack - led bike light online

I wrote about my runtime test with my 4x26650 batterie and a 3x XM-L clone here:
    New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped

/Hkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    Hopefully that means that the 4x26650 batteries will work too
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020905
    High-capacity 10000mAh 8.4V 4*26650 LED Bike Light Battery Pack - led bike light online

I wrote about my runtime test with my 4x26650 batterie and a 3x XM-L clone here:
    New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped

/Hkan
    SWEDEN
    Hakan,
    Does this battery's connector match the connector on the 3x light you have?

mtbr member
    I wrote to Ultrafire from their website homepage, as I could not see it listed on the store page or the homepage. They told me it was not from Ultrafire, that they are not the manufacturer at all,
    This is not to say that other batteries don't work. I have one of the Tri-Clone 3 x XM-L lamps and yes the plug on the light is slightly different than the MagicShine plugs. Nevertheless the MS batteries work fine with the lamp as do the Bikeray, Xeccon and DiNottte batteries ( with the DiNotte batteries making the worst connection ) All the others have a very good connection although might not be as water proof as the full proprietary set-up. I can't see that as a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    This is not to say that other batteries don't work. I have one of the Tri-Clone 3 x XM-L lamps and yes the plug on the light is slightly different than the MagicShine plugs. Nevertheless the MS batteries work fine with the lamp as do the Bikeray, Xeccon and DiNottte batteries ( with the DiNotte batteries making the worst connection ) All the others have a very good connection although might not be as water proof as the full proprietary set-up. I can't see that as a deal breaker.
    Cat-man,
    How hard is it to replace the connectors to something that is tight, waterproof and standard?
    Is it just standard wire...or coax...or?
    I just bought a 3x clone and a XML U2 and wonder if I could change out all the connectors to one style that works so I could easily swap batteries
    tia

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Hakan,
    Does this battery's connector match the connector on the 3x light you have?
    I don't know about the KD-battery, I have the battery from LT box
    and its connector works with both my Tri-Clone 3 x XM-L lamp and my MS lamps.

That the connector is not waterproof is no big deal, at least not for me,
    the voltage is <8,4V and the impedance is low.
    But the electronics, both in the light and in the battery, should of course be kept in a waterproof housing.

/Hkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Cat-man,
    How hard is it to replace the connectors to something that is tight, waterproof and standard?
    Is it just standard wire...or coax...or?
    I just bought a 3x clone and a XML U2 and wonder if I could change out all the connectors to one style that works so I could easily swap batteries
    tia
    If you have some basic DIY skills and some decent tools it shouldn't be too hard. When you strip the outer wire there are two inner wires, black and red. Black is ground, red is the positive.

Personally I'm not too concerned how water proof the plugs are as long as they are reasonably tight and have good over lap. This is why I like using the MagicShine type connectors so no matter what battery ( or lamp ) I have everything works. I won't buy a battery ( or a lamp ) if it isn't compatible with the MS connectors. Too much of a PITA to have to switch out plugs.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm sure there are better connectors available but personally I'm not willing to switch out connectors just because I might see an occasional rain shower. If possible I try not to ride if it's going to rain anyway. The "Intellicast.com " website with it's "real time" radar is my best friend. So far I've not had a lamp fail because the plugs got wet ( and yes that has happened a time or two ).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks.
    I'm not really worried about waterproof...but, like you said...I want a good connection.
    I think I'm going to order that battery pack the Hakan tried for the 3x light.
    I really can't believe how cheap these are....in a good way

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    This looks familiar... 深圳市三*科技有限公司
    It looks like it was originally a decent light. With the 6 cell battery, a 3 hour battery life is believable. It's too bad DX is selling the lesser version. The 15 beam should make it a good choice for helmet mounting. The mount that it comes with effectively makes it 3 times bigger though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    It looks like it was originally a decent light. With the 6 cell battery, a 3 hour battery life is believable. It's too bad DX is selling the lesser version. The 15 beam should make it a good choice for helmet mounting. The mount that it comes with effectively makes it 3 times bigger though.
    Yep, the version sold on the other website looks like it comes with a better battery. However I couldn't tell how to buy it from that website. There is no mention of price. More than likely this is the wholesaler who wants to sell in bulk.

Looks like DX sold out of the Ultrafire version. The other websites are selling these for about $175 USD. Okay, the 6-cell battery makes it worth more but NOT THAT MUCH MORE. Better to wait till D/X gets it back in stock or someone else offering it for less.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I done some more digging. Yes, Sanguan is the manufacturer. There are a few examples of (non-U.S) retailers selling these: (UK apparently) The Lumenator - mtb batteries supplying portable power solutions to the UK (re-branded for them) & 2200 lumen light set

Bear in mind the DX knockoff may not be an exact replica of that Sanguan unit, as it states T6 bin, vs. U2 for the Sanguan. I am intrigued by this lighthead, but may wait until more of them/variants hit the market.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I done some more digging. Yes, Sanguan is the manufacturer. There are a few examples of (non-U.S) retailers selling these: (UK apparently) The Lumenator - mtb batteries supplying portable power solutions to the UK (re-branded for them) & 2200 lumen light set

Bear in mind the DX knockoff may not be an exact replica of that Sanguan unit, as it states T6 bin, vs. U2 for the Sanguan. I am intrigued by this lighthead, but may wait until more of them/variants hit the market.
    Nice find.

The Sanguan unit has a pretty good UI according to the review which is linked from your links:
    Bear Bones Bikepacking: Sanguan SG-T2200 light review.

It looks slightly different than the DX unit, there is more heatsinking at the top. The right button only turns on the strobe mode and the left button cycles between the modes (without flash mode). Maybe the DX unit is also made by Sanguan.

Here's a seller in the UK for the Sanguan light.
    Sanguan Mountain Bike Light SG T2200 2200 Lumens not Lumicycle or Exposure | eBay

Not cheap at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KenBbike View Post
    Looks like there's a 3 lamp version now... Item 179088

UltraFire D88 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm 5-Mode White Light Bicycle Lamp - Black + Silver

Moved the switch to the top. I think that is the one that glows with the battery indicator. Don't think I'd like that if it were on the bar mount - like you would really helmet mount this beast?

Will let you know about the D99 when it shows up in another month or so...
    If the Sanguan is the manufacturer how do you explain the D88 version? Haven't done any digging on the net for that one...

Btw I opted to cancel the D99 order since DX sent me the dreaded "waiting for resupply" email. I know what that could mean.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's a good review of the Luminator including teardown pics:
    Smudges Lumenator Seems a good un Singletrack Forum

Another thread of reviews:
    Anyone got a Lumenator? Singletrack Forum

The Lumenator looks like a rebranded Sanguan, not the DX light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post

The Lumenator looks like a rebranded Sanguan, not the DX light.
    Agreed. The evidence looks like the DX is a knockoff, though it may perform well. We'll have to wait and see until they hit the streets.

mtbr member
    If the Sanguan is the manufacturer how do you explain the D88 version? Haven't done any digging on the net for that one...

Btw I opted to cancel the D99 order since DX sent me the dreaded "waiting for resupply" email. I know what that could mean.
    Exactly....The explanation is this: One company makes the same brand but markets them under different names. In essence they are the same light but with minor differences. If you know anything about Chinese manufacturing you know this is not unusual. This is a marketing ploy that is done to accommodate the many vendors who might want to sell the lamp.

....Btw I opted to cancel the D99 order since DX sent me the dreaded "waiting for resupply" email. I know what that could mean.
    That might not have been a good idea. You were first on the list when the new ones came in plus you had a price lock. In the mean time you could of ordered a better battery and had it waiting for when D/X got the light in. Yes, you might have had to wait a month and a half longer but doing it the way I outlined would have saved you about $80 and given you an extra battery to boot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's a guy selling the Sanguan unit in the USA

SG-2200 | SpokeGrenade

By the way, the triple DX (D88) still appears to be in stock, but people are complaining about not receiving their D99.

UltraFire 3 x Cree T6 2000lm 5-Mode White Light Bicycle Lamp - Black + Silver (4 x 18650)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    cool, a US seller. At that price however, I think my money would go to Gloworm.

I'll wait for round 2 (if there is one) of the D99, hopefully with a U2 emitter.

mtbr member
    Here's a guy selling the Sanguan unit in the USA

SG-2200 | SpokeGrenade

By the way, the triple DX (D88) still appears to be in stock, but people are complaining about not receiving their D99.

UltraFire 3 x Cree T6 2000lm 5-Mode White Light Bicycle Lamp - Black + Silver (4 x 18650)
    If these were going for just over $100 USD they would be worth buying. Unfortunately spokegrenade is asking twice that price. If I was buying at that price I'd look at the Gemini Duo instead. Sad when the seller doesn't understand the dynamic of the market place and what the competition has to offer.

The D99's hopefully will be back once the Chinese New Year is over but don't expect them to be back right away or at the original price. ( ...although I hope I'm wrong about that. )

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, that spokegrenade price is out of control, especially when the wholesale price is as low as $65.
    Sanguan newest type cree xml t6 led head lamp - SG-T2200 - sanguan (China Manufacturer) - LED Lighting - Lighting Products - DIYTrade China

Cat, when is the Chinese New Year over?

mtbr member
    Yeah, that spokegrenade price is out of control, especially when the wholesale price is as low as $65.
    Sanguan newest type cree xml t6 led head lamp - SG-T2200 - sanguan (China Manufacturer) - LED Lighting - Lighting Products - DIYTrade China

Cat, when is the Chinese New Year over?
    My understanding is that this year it starts on Feb. 10th. The celebrations last about 15 days. Pretty much no business is conducted during that time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    DX has a few different external bike mount battery packs....

4400mAh External Battery Pack with Pouch for SKU 29489/30864 (4*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

anybody putting this together?

~j

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgets&gear View Post
    DX has a few different external bike mount battery packs....

4400mAh External Battery Pack with Pouch for SKU 29489/30864 (4*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

anybody putting this together?

~j
    Kind'a off subject aren't we? There is a battery thread going or did you not look?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    So has anyone who ordered the d99 actually received one yet? Looks like DX.com even pulled a thread on the product discussion page about them never being shipped/delivered.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Very shady. Both units have been listed since the first week of January and there isn't a single review. So I doubt that they shipped any of them out. It's a shame really, I was ready to buy the double.

I think the quad may be a better buy at this point, since we know that the strobe mode is hidden, and all four leds fire for every mode. The lighhead is only $35 or $40. Plus it appears to have overheat protection.

www.airbornemtb.org
    So has anyone who ordered the d99 actually received one yet? Looks like DX.com even pulled a thread on the product discussion page about them never being shipped/delivered.
    I received mine a couple weeks ago (from dx). i have yet to take it out on a trail, but it appears to have a nice beam and is much smaller than my ms. fit was ok with the geomangear batteries. the green button does control the flash modes as mentioned previously. it looks like if you changed out the o-ring mount with one from a ms it could mount even lower as the o-ring mount sticks up a bit high.

overall it is a nice small light.

ill give an update once it makes it out on a trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nick d View Post
    I received mine a couple weeks ago (from dx). i have yet to take it out on a trail, but it appears to have a nice beam and is much smaller than my ms. fit was ok with the geomangear batteries. the green button does control the flash modes as mentioned previously. it looks like if you changed out the o-ring mount with one from a ms it could mount even lower as the o-ring mount sticks up a bit high.

overall it is a nice small light.

ill give an update once it makes it out on a trail.
    I'm confused about the modes on this light. Could you please go into more detail about it. Is the strobe mode part of the regular mode rotation, or is only activated by pressing the second button?

So does does the light go

Low1>Low2>Med>High>Strobe>Low1>Low2...

or does it go

Low1>Low2>Med>High>Low1>Low2
    Last edited by varider; 02-28-2013 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi guys,

I work for DealExtreme and just found out today that we have a logistics problem on that light (d99) and unfortunately, it will not be restocked in the near future.

Really sorry about this as it was a popular light and we sent all our first batch of them out. If you had an order waiting for restock please cancel it and select another light.

~joseph

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DXofficial View Post
    Hi guys,

I work for DealExtreme and just found out today that we have a logistics problem on that light (d99) and unfortunately, it will not be restocked in the near future.

Really sorry about this as it was a popular light and we sent all our first batch of them out. If you had an order waiting for restock please cancel it and select another light.

~joseph
    As excuses go; that is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. , sorry but I'm not dancing to that song. I see these on the net being sold by other companies, either for bulk purchase or for a much higher price. Not only that but there is now a triple version of the D99 being sold by D/X that is almost exactly like the duel version but with three LED's instead of two. ( once again, for a little more money )

My guess is that D/X couldn't sell the D99 anymore because it was infringing on some vendor contact with the manufacturer ( and they were complaining big time... )

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Hi guys

Sorry guys, I am not privy to the details of this. I just wanted to make sure that no one was waiting for something that is not going to restock. I wasn't attempting to make an excuse just Trying to inform the folks who might be waiting for it.

As excuses go; that is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. , sorry but I'm not dancing to that song. I see these on the net being sold by other companies, either for bulk purchase or for a much higher price. Not only that but there is now a triple version of the D99 being sold by D/X that is almost exactly like the duel version but with three LED's instead of two. ( once again, for a little more money )

My guess is that D/X couldn't sell the D99 anymore because it was infringing on some vendor contact with the manufacturer ( and they were complaining big time... )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DXofficial View Post
    Sorry guys, I am not privy to the details of this. I just wanted to make sure that no one was waiting for something that is not going to restock. I wasn't attempting to make an excuse just Trying to inform the folks who might be waiting for it.

Understood. I assume then that the listing is going to be removed from the D/X website? If not, what would be the purpose of keeping it on the website if it's not going to return at a later date? D/X list many products that are quote, "out of stock". The presumption being if something is "out of stock" that it will "return to stock" at a later date. If the product is going to be "discontinued" it needs to be listed as such. As it stands right now people will continue to browse the D/X website and will hope the D99 returns to "in stock" status.

The only question that remains is how the people selling the lamp ( under a different brand name ) are getting the lamp to sell it.

www.airbornemtb.org
    I'm confused about the modes on this light. Could you please go into more detail about it. Is the strobe mode part of the regular mode rotation, or is only activated by pressing the second button?

So does does the light go

Low1>Low2>Med>High>Strobe>Low1>Low2...

or does it go

Low1>Low2>Med>High>Low1>Low2
    the button on the left controls the intensity and on off functions. the button on the right putts it into strobe mode and changes the strobe functions. its a shame that it wont be available cause its a nice light...
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nick d View Post
    the button on the left controls the intensity and on off functions. the button on the right putts it into strobe mode and changes the strobe functions. its a shame that it wont be available cause its a nice light...
    Thanks. That looks to be an ideal setup.

They shouldn't have called this thing an Ultrafire, since it clearly wasn't made by them. Someone on the dx forums contacted them and confirmed this. Hopefully it will come back with different labeling.

I'm kicking myself for not buying it. I was just waiting for one positive review.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It's back under a different name and a slightly cheaper price.

FANDYFiRE D99 Cree XM-L T6 2-LED 1200LM 5-Mode Neutral White Bike Light Headlight - Silver + Black - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX
    (Thanks to prozoro on the dx forums for the heads up)

Let's hope it's more of flood light, since I just placed my order.

mtbr member
    It's back under a different name and a slightly cheaper price.

FANDYFiRE D99 Cree XM-L T6 2-LED 1200LM 5-Mode Neutral White Bike Light Headlight - Silver + Black - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX
    (Thanks to prozoro on the dx forums for the heads up)

Let's hope it's more of flood light, since I just placed my order.
    Sorry folks but this is too good a deal to pass up. Looks like I'll be reviewing one of these as well. So much for all that discontinued BS. That's why I had to call D/X out on the issue. When something sells out it make's no sense to stop selling it. Capitalism 101: "Make it, sell it. If it sells out make more".

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I'll admit, I nabbed one too. Don't need it, all set with my current gear. I think I have a problem. though I couldn't pass up the deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Cat or Bad

Can you show a photo of the light head in your hand so I can get an idea of size. Also, let us know how bright you think it is and if it's a spot, etc. Wouldn't mind a run time test as I was thinking if this is a spot then mounting this to the helmet w/ a 2 by 18650 w/ the battery mounted on the helmet as well. Tired of wires!

Thx

MB

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I could not resist yesterday either, as soon as I saw it I actually began to worry that but the time I found the charger and 6600mAh battery to order, it would be sold out. Trout's review and beam shots show the awesome potential!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Check out post #28, there are two links to reviews. The first one "Smudge's Luminator seems a good un" has amazing beamshots, runtime tests, and is by a guy whom knows lights. I like the idea of wireless too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I don't think we really know who makes this light. It might not be the light made by Sanguan, the Luminator, since those are sold as sets only. It looks almost the same though, except for differences in the top of the body (the heat sinking fins).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UltraFire D99 a promising new 2x light?-fandyfire-d99-vs-sanguan.jpg  

mtbr member
    Check out post #28, there are two links to reviews. The first one "Smudge's Luminator seems a good un" has amazing beamshots, runtime tests, and is by a guy whom knows lights. I like the idea of wireless too!
    Wireless?, I think not. These are not self-contained with battery.

It seems these have some throw according to the reports. That is what I'm hoping for. If it throws as far as a typical 808E I'll be pleased. I might be using mine for commuting if the throw is decent. I'd use one of my Gloworm X2's but I might need to remove the lamp and leave the bike outside. The Gloworms do require a little more effort to mount with all the wires. I'd like something that I can take on and off real easy. I'll miss the remote on the Gloworm but what the hey, it's a 45 minute commute. After I've used mine on a couple rides I'll give it the "shower test" to see how it holds up to water. We'll see.

At least it's nice that a handfull of people have already ordered one. That means we should get a nice spectrum of review.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sorry folks but this is too good a deal to pass up. Looks like I'll be reviewing one of these as well. So much for all that discontinued BS. That's why I had to call D/X out on the issue. When something sells out it make's no sense to stop selling it. Capitalism 101: "Make it, sell it. If it sells out make more".
    Yup, I couldn't resist either. Now I'll be able to compare it to the Solarstorm X2.
    Which ironically is also available at Fasttech with the Fandyfire name. Where do they come up with these names?

$46.54 FandyFire X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Checked with the product manager, says these FF D99 are available, and no branding issues. Looking forward to some real-world info on the performance.

mtbr member
    I just got an e-mail today saying that my order has shipped. Took a little longer than usual. Then again I did order of bunch of other smaller items as well. Anyway, once shipped it usually takes a couple weeks to get to U.S. ( east coast )

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Me too. Was a bit worried but shipped yesterday with 6600mAh battery and a charger too. I'm pumped!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Mine's on it's way too. lighthead only.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    with 6600mAh battery and a charger too.
    From DX?
    Can You link to both the battery and the charger, please?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Battery and charger links

mtbr member
    That battery looks interesting. When you get your lamp/battery it would be nice if you could do a run-time test to see how long it will run on high. It would take some time though, likely about 3.5 to 4 hr. Anyway, looks like it might make a great addition to the "Battery list" on the battery thread ( if it proves worthy )

mtbr member
    May 2007
    rpnbilly: Thank you

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeS View Post
    Which ironically is also available at Fasttech with the Fandyfire name.
    Fandyfire lights is now available at DX too
    I Think the 2x XM-L and 3x XM-L looks interesting, 4 modes; 15% > 50% > 75% 100%
    and flashing only by a long press
    But without batteries and charger, and no info about the typ of Contact, is it 5.5 x 2.1mm or 5.5 x 2.5mm?
    If I remember correctly; Magicshine uses a 5.5 x 2.5mm contact.

FandyFire D99 Cree XM-L T6 2-LED 1200LM 5-Mode Neutral White Bike Light Headlight - Silver + Black - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX
    FANDYFiRE D88 3 x Cree XM-L T6 1500lm 5-Mode White Bicycle Light - Black + Silver (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Zoomable Fandyfire, but only with high and low modes.
    Buy FandyFire Cree XM-L U2 1200lm 3-Mode White Zooming Bike Light Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650)

/Hkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    @HakanC...

Glad to see that D/X brought the D88 back ( 3-parallel XM-L T6 ) These might be a better alternative than the typical Tri-clone lamps because I would think they would be better at handling the heat with the straight parallel design. Not to mention that the mode set-up is much better. The only problem with the D88 design might be how it might sit on the bars. Because it is longer in might hit the handlebar stem on some bikes. ( there are ways to get around that though ).

mtbr member

New FandyFire D99: It's Here

Post man came knocking just before I had to get ready for work. Luckily I should have some time today to play around with this at work.

My first impression ( shining it around my home ) was that I was very impressed. Four usable steady modes as promised and a separate flash, I'm duly impressed. I might have over-reacted to the High mode because when I first saw it I thought it might be brighter than the Gloworm X2. After throwing up a quick 5M lux test I might be wrong about that but I'll do more testing when I get home.

Quickie observations, the beam tint on mine is slightly bluish ( which is more apparent in low and not so apparent on the upper modes ). Very characteristic of the T-6 cool tinted bin emitters. The D/X ad says these are suppose to be neutral white...no way, at least on mine. Not a deal breaker but personally I favor the tints that are more white.

................................Quick 5M Lux Test.............................................. ...

New D99..............423

Tri-Clone...............481

Mj-808E................540

( All lamps on High )
    It likely won't have the throw of an 808E or Tri-Clone but it should hold it's own. I'll let you know more when I get home early in the AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mine shipped out a few days after yours, so I haven't received it yet. Maybe using paypal slows down the shipping process?

I'm surprised by these numbers though. The 808 is brightest of the bunch? Is that because the light is more concentrated in a tight spot? I had the impression that the tri was super-bright. That sucks about the tint, I prefer the neutral tint.

I would hope that with an extra led, this light would output more total lumens than the 808. Otherwise what's the point. So it it's slightly weaker in the dead center of the beam, put has a broader beam then that would be acceptable in my opinion.

If I remember Jim's s charts correctly, the Magicshine 880 had both more light in the middle, and a broader beam than the 808. That's what I'm looking for from the D99, a cheap 880 clone.
    Last edited by varider; 04-25-2013 at 09:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Mine shipped out a few days after yours, so I haven't received it yet. Maybe using paypal slows down the shipping process?

I'm surprised by these numbers though. The 808 is brightest of the bunch? Is that because the light is more concentrated in a tight spot? I had the impression that the tri was super-bright. That sucks about the tint, I prefer the neutral tint.

I would hope that with an extra led, this light would output more total lumens than the 808. Otherwise what's the point. So it it's slightly weaker in the dead center of the beam, put has a broader beam then that would be acceptable in my opinion.

If I remember Jim's s charts correctly, the Magicshine 880 had both more light in the middle, and a broader beam than the 808. That's what I'm looking for from the D99, a cheap 880 clone.
    Hopefully I can eliminate some misconceptions about the lux comparison. When doing the lux test I aim the brightest part of the beam pattern at the meter. Lux has nothing to do with total Lumen output as it is only measuring the output " at the brightest part of the beam pattern ". Optics and reflectors play a big part in how high a reading you get. The more narrow the beam the higher the reading.

The Magicshine 808E is basically a spot configured lamp. It uses a reflector and has a very good hot spot, not so much output to the sides however. Most of it's output is directed to the hotspot, that is why it reads so high. Both the Tri-Clone and the D99 have beam patterns that disperse the light more widely. Over all they are much brighter than the 808's. If I placed the meter off to the sides you would get a better idea of how much brighter they are vs. the 808E.

When I took the D99 out tonight I found out that it will make a very good bar lamp. I tested it behind a group of buildings (near my job ) that just so happens to be completely dark. ( The buildings are about 165 ft. long ) First test was with the LL or lowest mode if you will. Surprisingly even the LL mode has some reach. ( I like it when low modes have some throw ) L2 or level 2 ( if you will ) supplied more than enough light to see well in most situations. Levels 3 and 4 are of course even better and could light up most of the way to the end of the buildings. This is about what I expected.

The D99 is not a spot lamp, nor is it just a flood lamp. It has a very nice mix of flood and throw that I think makes it a very nice lamp for the bars. You could use it on the helmet but the distance throw does fade a bit beyond the 150 ft. mark. The D99 is using optics and not reflectors. Strange how that little fact got by me when I was ordering it. That said, it might be possible to replace the optics if you think you might want a little more intense throw. Personally I think it's fine as is.

So far the only thing I can complain about is the beam tint. That's because I'm spoiled by all the other lamps I own that use emitters that are more "bright white". ( no bluish tint ) Still, the cool tint T-6 XM-L's light things up very well which is what most people want anyway. When I go out this weekend I'll bring the D99 along to test along with the other two lamps I just got.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hopefully I can eliminate some misconceptions about the lux comparison. When doing the lux test I aim the brightest part of the beam pattern at the meter. Lux has nothing to do with total Lumen output as it is only measuring the output " at the brightest part of the beam pattern ". Optics and reflectors play a big part in how high a reading you get. The more narrow the beam the higher the reading.
    Cat has it exactly correct here. It's (somewhat) analogous to saying "I have a gallon of water, how deep is it?" If you pour your gallon into a horse trough, it's this deep; if you pour it into a bud vase, it's that deep. So, if you can measure the brightest part of the beam at a given distance in either lux (lm/meter^2) or footcandles (lm/ft^2) and know the distance, you can back into the Center Beam Candlepower value by using the Inverse Square Law.

What does this gobbeldygoo mean? Well, basically, all theatrical and architectural light fixtures publish these values in a variety of formats, and you can use them to calculate the amount of light a particular fixture produces. You can also use them to compare two fixtures to see which one performs better. If you really get into the nitty gritty, you can see the difference between beams (edge of beam is 50% of max, edge of field is 10% of max) and get a sense of what the distribution is. Perhaps you like a spot versus a narrow flood, for bar or helmet application, this data can let you know how the luminaire does its thing.

Sadly, the bike lighting companies do not do this, so we are stuck with theoretical lumen packages, undefined CBCP, and no beam or field angles.

However, it is possible, albeit a hassle, to compare any batch of fixtures. At a past job, I set up a 10'x10' grid on a fabric roll-drop (theatrical drape that can roll up or down and has a batten in the bottom to hold it in tension). My drop was marked in 1' squares, and I set a luminaire at a fixed distance. Based off of the meter readings at each intersection of grid points, I was able to create 3D graphs in Excel to compare CBCP, beam sizes and angles, field sizes and angles, and so on. in reality, this is an easy setup and simple math- I was a theatre major, so obviously it couldn't have been that tough. In essence, I created an extremely simplified goniophotometer (in which a fixture is mounted in a virtual sphere, and an arm with a light meter takes readings in a 360-degree path on specified axes, 0, 30, 45, etc).

I wish these manufacturers would publish data we could actually use- although several people here are putting in valiant efforts to photograph fixtures, the camera and they eye are very different systems and don't really provide a valid basis for comparison. If we had a simple chart to compare luminaires (the DOE has created this for manufacturers to use on light bulbs, it's sort of a lighting nutrition label), then our dedicated lighting guys like Cat could go ride and enjoy their lights rather than cobble together a comparison system. Kudos to the hard work he and others have done, I just wish they didn't have to do it. End of rant, I guess.

mtbr member

D99 Trail testing

I took the D99 out for a quick test spin on the trails while I was also testing a couple other lamps. ( Lamps taken; Gloworm X2, D/X Quad XM-L lamp, and the upgraded Xeccon X-12 with new XM-L2 emitter ) When I put the D99 on the bars the first thing I noticed is the bright green led staring back at me from the power button. I think this lamp has the brightest button led I've ever seen. Next time I use it I'll likely put some electrical tape across it so I don't see so much of the green light.

One of the nice things about these two emitter XM-L lamps is that they are small and light-weight. This means they don't take up much room or move much once you put them on the bars. When I turned the lamp on it comes on in the lowest of it's four steady modes. This LL mode is surprisingly useful. It is very much like the LL mode of the Gloworm X2's. The next mode ( I'll call L2 ) provides a very nice output. Once again like the Gloworm X2 the Level 2 on the D99 is a very nice mode for general all-around cruising. This is the level I use most on my X2.

Both level 3 and level 4 bring even more of course. Most of my comparisons were with the Gloworm X2 since both incorporate duel XM-L's. I was glad to see that when I took the D99 out on the trail that you really don't notice any blue tint. Maximum output with the D99 is very respectable. There is some fade to the center area of the beam but it still does very well and illuminates a nice wide swath of trail very similar to what the X2 does. The X2 with it's XM-L U2's is of course a little brighter but not by much. As I surmised earlier the D99 makes a nice little bar lamp. If you're looking for an upgrade from something like an 808 with flood lens the D99 would certainly make a nice upgrade without taking up a lot of space on the bars or taking too much money from your pocketbook.

mtbr member
    Ordered one today. Always a day late I am.

edit: Shipping notice just in. Wooo
    Last edited by pigmode; 04-28-2013 at 09:36 PM.

mtbr member
    What is the connector size (2.1-2.5mm) on this latest DX iteration? If 2.1, how are you handling connector mismatch?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    What is the connector size (2.1-2.5mm) on this latest DX iteration? If 2.1, how are you handling connector mismatch?
    The connector is a little small but does work with the magic shine type batteries.this does of course mean that it will come apart really easy, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.so far I've not had any problems with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just got my light tonight. I played with it a little bit in the house, as it's raining outside.

First impression are a bit mixed.

I'm surprised how small the housing is. It a little bit wider than the Magicshine 808, but it's only half the height, so that makes it feel much smaller. The controls are two buttons that are also smaller than I thought they would be. The great thing about the buttons is that have a very positive click when pressed, there's no mistaking it. Overall the light feels very well made.

The wire coming out of the back feels more flexible than that of the 808 and it's a little bit thinner. The battery connector is not quite the same as the Magicshine. The metal conductor part is the same diameter as the Magicshine, although it's a little bit shorter. The black plastic part of the connector is much thinner than that of the Magicshine. On the Magicshine, this black part of the connector fits inside a small tube on mating part of the connector (from the battery side). The end result is that the Magicshine connection is both somewhat water resistant and hard to separate. Since the D99 connector is too small, you will not get this extra benefit. It is still compatible with the Magicshine battery. It's a secure fit and does take a little fit of force to separate

The light has four modes plus the strobe. The light goes from low to medium 1 to medium 2 to high and then back to low by pressing the green button. The strobe mode is not part of the regular rotation. It's only activated by pressing the smaller orange button. Pressing the button again, turns off the strobe and activates the steady light. It also remembers which light level was set. Turning the light off involves pressing the green button. The light turn off and the green button stays lit for several seconds and then blinks several times and turns off. I'm not sure if it's still drawing power at this time. With the Magicshine the indicator light is always lit, meaning as soon as you connect the battery you are losing power.

The beam on this light is somewhat dissappointing when viewed indoors. The hot spot is actually a hot ring. Inside this ring is not a bright as the ring, although much brighter than outside of the ring. I'm not sure how big of a deal this is once I get it outside. Outside of the hot spot, which is roughly 808 size, there is a good amount of light. In fact much brighter than what you get with the 808. So the d99 has some flood capability. It also seems a bit brighter than the 808, but the light tint is much bluer that it's somewhat difficult to compare the two. I wasn't able to get an idea of which throws better because I'm stuck indoors.

Sorry I don't have any beam shots for you guys. I don't have a great spot in which to take pictures that's easily accessible and super dark. I also don't have a DSLR.
    Last edited by varider; 04-29-2013 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Great write up! Looking forward to part 2. My issue is I have my hand in too many bike related cookie jars so I got this light instead of an X1/X2.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Tie a knot like this on the cables

to prevent the contacts coming loose.

/Hkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    Tie a knot like this on the cables

to prevent the contacts coming loose.

/Hkan
    SWEDEN
    Just to clear things up a bit; I just tried the D99 with every battery I have. Both the Bikeray and Xeccon batteries work fine with this lamp and hold well enough that I would not be worried about it coming loose. The funny thing is that the battery that had the poorest connection was the battery I got with the D/X Quad XM-L lamp.

I should note here that D/X sells batteries with a couple variations on the ( female ) plug. It also seems that the plastic on the male end of the lamp ( D99 ) is not built up enough. This is not really a big problem though as mine works fine with all the batteries. However if you want a tighter ( more waterproof ) fit easy to fix by just wrapping some electrical tape around the plastic on the male end to make it bigger. If this is too much a bother than Hkan's idea should work fine as well.

Since no one else mentioned it the strobe on the D99's are absolutely mental as far as the flash frequency goes. For bike use the flash should be more like 1 flash per sec. ( or 1 per 1.5 sec. ) That I could live with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Since no one else mentioned it the strobe on the D99's are absolutely mental as far as the flash frequency goes.
    Absolutely true. I tested mine last night and just had to dance. It was like a rave in my garage.

I just did a basic garage test against my X2 and all said above is true. Tint is bluer but don't know how much difference that will make on the trail. Hot spot is fairly bright, though narrower than my X2 puts out (and I've got spot/spot optics in my X2) I like the size of this light, and it appears well-made. That's all I can really say for now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Good idea HakanC

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's some pictures of the light compared to a Magicshine MJ-808E (with remote). There's also pictures of the two battery connectors. UltraFire D99 a promising new 2x light?-top-view-d99-comparison.jpgUltraFire D99 a promising new 2x light?-front-view-d99-comparison.jpgUltraFire D99 a promising new 2x light?-side-view-d99-comparison.jpg

The D99 connector is the thinner of the two connectors. UltraFire D99 a promising new 2x light?-d99-connector-comparison.jpg
    UltraFire D99 a promising new 2x light?-magicshine-plug-connection.jpgUltraFire D99 a promising new 2x light?-d99-plug-connection.jpg

mtbr member
    Absolutely true. I tested mine last night and just had to dance. It was like a rave in my garage.

I just did a basic garage test against my X2 and all said above is true. Tint is bluer but don't know how much difference that will make on the trail. Hot spot is fairly bright, though narrower than my X2 puts out (and I've got spot/spot optics in my X2) I like the size of this light, and it appears well-made. That's all I can really say for now.

Thanks for that. I'm looking for a bar light for a friend and I was concerned with the smooth reflector. Now I know for sure it is too spotty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm looking for a bar light for a friend and I was concerned with the smooth reflector. Now I know for sure it is too spotty.
    No Pedro, the over-all beam pattern is not spotty ( although it does have a brighter center spot like most lamps ). Shine any lamp on a wall and it looks spotty. The D99 is not using reflectors it is using optics.

I did take the front off mine tonight so I could take a look at the optic/emitter set-up. The emitters are mounted on a single ( custom? ) board. What didn't impress me was the internal O-ring around the emitter box. The O-ring sits too flush IMO. I can't see how it is going to prevent water from getting inside. I really do hope I'm wrong about that but I'll not be testing this lamp in the shower.

mtbr member
    Hm, ok, Cat. But, either way, it should be less floody than others using OP reflector, right?
    Yeah, cheap Chinese lights and their waterproof capabilities are a concern. My 808 clone had two o-rings in the lenses and it did worked under small showers...but I was always concerned about that... Does this D99 also have 2 o-rings?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    Hm, ok, Cat. But, either way, it should be less floody than others using OP reflector, right?
    Yeah, cheap Chinese lights and their waterproof capabilities are a concern. My 808 clone had two o-rings in the lenses and it did worked under small showers...but I was always concerned about that... Does this D99 also have 2 o-rings?
    No, I don't think so...reflectors are almost always give a more narrow beam pattern, even if they are OP. It compares well to other multi-emitter lamps and should satisfy most people that are looking for a wider beam pattern ( compared to single emitter lamps ).

There is one O-ring inside the front of the lamp and an O-ring for each optic where it rests against the front of the lamp. The inside one is the one that has me worried as it sits in a groove and does not sit up very high. I suppose if you wanted to seal it better you could use some silicon but then that would be a little messy and cause a problem if you wanted to re-open the front.

mtbr member
    Oh well, it's a fair weather light I take it. That suits me for off road, but if I decide to take it on the road...

Still seems a good value till I can get a gloworm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    @ HakanC, I got my set today and am happy to report that the light-head, the charger, and the battery you asked about, are all a perfect fitting matches as far as connectors go. I was worried, but it was a roll of the dice that won, phew. Been charging that sucker for 6 hours now, and it's still going. Let's hope this battery is a good pick! I will report back later with full charge time, voltages, runtimes and try to do my first attempt at beamshots.

mtbr member
    I got mine a few days ago. Noticed the head wire somewhat loose, only because the grommet-plug going in the housing was not set. I will seal the front and the plug too. I would suggest anybody running this in inclement weather to do this. Just waiting while I decide to screw another mounting system to it. The strobe is, as others noted, a "rave mode" pulsar certain to cause epileptic seizures. Too bad as it won't really be useful on the commute stylee -too crazy! Now I could put a gel on it, it'd be a brilliant tail light.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    @ HakanC, I got my set today and am happy to report that the light-head, the charger, and the battery you asked about, are all a perfect fitting matches as far as connectors go. I was worried, but it was a roll of the dice that won, phew.
    Thank you, that is good to know.

I will report back later with full charge time, voltages, runtimes and try to do my first attempt at beamshots.
    I'm looking forward to your report.

/Hkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    May 2007
    After what I am able to find out DX now sell the D99 light in three(3!) different versions:
    33.60 USD FandyFire D99
    39.50 USD UltraFire D99
    41.60 USD FANDYFIRE D99 - incl battery 4x18650 (but no charger?)

/Hkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member

FFire D99: Thermal shake down vs. Lux output / Runtime on 4-cell

I'm doing a little run time test tonight using one of my 5200mAh ( 3 year old ) Bikeray 4-cell batteries. I just wanted to see what I could expect using a decent 4-cell with the D99. More info in a couple hours. I expect to get 2.5 hrs but we'll see.

The lamp just went to "Blue" after one hour. The lamp does get hot. More on that when the test is completed.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-12-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: mistake on BR battery rating

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is the D99 light enough for the helmet?

mtbr member

FFire D99: Thermal test-lux output/ run time test, continued from last post.

I'm doing a little run time test tonight using one of my 5200mAh ( 3 year old ) Bikeray 4-cell batteries. I just wanted to see what I could expect using a decent 4-cell with the D99. More info in a couple hours. I expect to get 2.5 hrs but we'll see.

The lamp just went to "Blue" after one hour. The lamp does get hot. More on that when the test is completed.
    Finished the test. I got exactly 2hrs and 52 minutes on high with the Bikeray battery. Very good for a 3 year old battery if I do say so.
    During the test some things of note;

The lamp ( on high L4 ) does get hot if not enough air is moving across the lamp. I did use a fan for the test but at the start had it set back a ways. After 15 minutes the lamp heated up to 126F ( 52C ). That is pretty hot, still the lamp did not do a thermal shut or power-down. At this point I moved the fan closer.

Loss of light output at the 15 minute mark was about 16.5% of the initial 422 lux. That is pretty high. Once I moved the fan closer the lamp temperature dropped down to ~ 122F ( 50C ). It took a while for the emitters to cool but eventually the lux output began to rise. Once stabilized, the light output remained around 374 lux. At that level the loss is only about 11.6%. That is much better and the lamp was obviously brighter.

The red led came on at the 2hr and 18 minute mark. Not soon after the lamp output began to fade a bit as the battery neared cut-off. At no point did the lamp power down to a lower level on it's own. The red led did not enter a "blinking mode" to indicate eminent shut down.

All things considered if you don't let the lamp get too hot you should still get decent output. When I used mine last I never noticed the lamp getting too hot. Matter of fact it barely got warm but then again I don't always run the higher modes. Keep her on L2 or L3 and you should be fine. Wish there had been a blinking mode. That last warning before shut-down is priceless. ( * Oh, almost forgot to mention, I paid for this lamp with my own money. )
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-12-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: mistake on BR battery rating

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I did a little run test with the 6600mAh battery from DX, seems good! No power upon arrival, would not light up the lamp, back light, nothing. Took 7hrs20min to charge (1 Amp charger). Did a test on the highest level (L4) against my judgement r/t heat. With a fan running on it, I turned it on at 1640hrs, it ran on high with a green (wow so bright) backlight until it turned blue at 1825hrs (1hrs-45min), stayed blue until 1855 (30min), then red. I turned it off at this point. So in total on highest mode, 2hrs15mins!!! Blue and red backlight working, heat with the fan wasn't an issue. When I took it outside on the multi use pathways at night, as long as I was moving constantly, this unit did not have heat issues at all. More testing to come, waiting on a new multimeter, photographer volunteer and and to finish my round of nightshifts. Love the light, the battery is good so far, seems like 6600mAh is close to reality. Lighthead did not budge much from where I put it also. My new favourite light setup! will do another test runtime for level 3 soon.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the battery is good so far, seems like 6600mAh is close to reality.
    Thank you for the follow up.
    It is good to know that a battery for less then 20 USD from DX is that good.
    8.4V 6600mAh Rechargeable 18650 Li-ion Battery Pack for Bicycle Lamp - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

mtbr member
    I did a little run test with the 6600mAh battery from DX, seems good! No power upon arrival, would not light up the lamp, back light, nothing....... the battery is good so far, seems like 6600mAh is close to reality.....
    About your D/X battery; The fact that the battery would not work upon arrival is not a good sign. Usually batteries are shipped/stored with a partial charge. That charge would definitely operate the lamp. This could mean you have a bad battery. A good six cell 6600mAh battery should run the D99 over 4 hours on it's highest output level.

Candlestick Maker
    Isn't the D99 current draw 2200mA on high? With a 6600mAh battery, that would give 3 hours of max runtime on high.

Skewing from the original topic...I haven't looked at batteries for a couple years. I'm amazed to see 3400mAh 18650 cells from Panasonic. A 4 cell 6800mAh pack sure would be tempting. Or, 6 cell 10200mAh. Wow!
    baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Isn't the D99 current draw 2200mA on high? With a 6600mAh battery, that would give 3 hours of max runtime on high.

Skewing from the original topic...I haven't looked at batteries for a couple years. I'm amazed to see 3400mAh 18650 cells from Panasonic. A 4 cell 6800mAh pack sure would be tempting. Or, 6 cell 10200mAh. Wow!
    I don't know what the current draw is on the emitters. All I know is that if I got almost 3hrs of run time out of my old 5200mAh 4-cell, I would expect to get at least 4hrs from a good 6600mah 6-cell battery.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-12-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: mistake on BR battery rating

Candlestick Maker
    I was going by the specs at the dx site.

UltraFire D99 2 x Cree T6 1600lm 5-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Black + Silver (4 x 18650)

It wouldn't surprise me that they might be driven less than stated. :-)
    baker

mtbr member

No, I don't think so...reflectors are almost always give a more narrow beam pattern, even if they are OP. It compares well to other multi-emitter lamps and should satisfy most people that are looking for a wider beam pattern ( compared to single emitter lamps ).
    Hm ok, thanks cat! I guess I'm going to ask my friend to buy this one so I can also confirm your statement eheh My friend will be my guinea pig

The reviews are looking fine and I'm leaning towards this D99 now... I hope he trusts me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1