Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

UltraFire D99 a promising new 2x light?

I've been waiting for the Lupine Piko or the Gloworm x2 knockoffs:
    UltraFire D99 2 x Cree XM-L T6 1600lm 5-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Black + Silver (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

It's still quite a bit larger than the Piko but it's getting closer. Would be nice if a lower, non o-ring mount was available for the helmet though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It looks like it cycles through all modes. Poor UI in my opinion. I do not want to cycle through multiple levels and a strobe, especially with no remote switch, to get from high back to medium or low.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    It looks like it cycles through all modes.
    Looks like two buttons on the back, but weird they aren't the same size.

No battery is a deal breaker
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Looks like two buttons on the back, but weird they aren't the same size.

No battery is a deal breaker
    Yeah, no battery, still...not a bad price for a duel XM-L emitter lamp head that looks very much like the Gemini Duo. Not sure what the two buttons are about. Maybe one is simple on/off.

Interesting that now you can buy 3 or 4 XM-L emitter lamps and now a duel at cut-rate prices. Sure the mode set-ups aren't fancy and the battery quality questionable at best but if this stuff was available when I first started riding at night I would of be on this real fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    buy cheap, buy twice. some things are worth the extra outlay IMO

mtbr member
    That looks great indeed. I would get it to use with my 18650 battery if it had an OP reflector and/or flood lenses like the X2... Great price indeed for those who don't mind getting cheap lights and are looking for an upgrade from the 808 clone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Looks interesting. Anyone taking the plunge?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    In the list at the bottom it says what the buttons do

. Green button: Mode switch and on / off button; Orange button: One-touch fast strobe mode button;
    So it could be that you can skip the strobe mode during the normal use of the light. That would be cool. These clone manufactures need to get it through their heads that no one wants to go through a strobe mode in order to get back to the high mode.

Not having a battery is a plus in my book, the connector looks like a magicshine connector, so I would just get a battery from action led.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would guess the orange button is to turn the second LED on/off. The large button is probably used to cycle through the modes and the second is just to turn one LED off.

If only it was a smaller. I'm still waiting for a Lupine Piko size knockoff.

mtbr member
    2 XM-L LEDs, a mount, cable and a host for $40 isn't bad at all. I'd junk the driver and put in something better, then you'd have a pretty decent light head for ~$70-80.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I wrote to Ultrafire from their website homepage, as I could not see it listed on the store page or the homepage. They told me it was not from Ultrafire, that they are not the manufacturer at all,
    I wrote DX to ask about the batteries too VARIDER, and they told me only the new clone batteries work, like sku 153971 or sku 155514. People on CPF have stated that they have used the magicshine batteries with the new clone lights, but the plugs are not a tight connection, and also not waterproof.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Do the modes cycle through the off mode? If "off" is hidden, then I approve of this UI and the mode spacing. Well, the spacing between the last 3 modes is wonky, but a 15% low mode is useful. If selling without a battery lowers the price by $10 or more, then I'm all for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looks like there's a 3 lamp version now... Item 179088

UltraFire D88 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm 5-Mode White Light Bicycle Lamp - Black + Silver

Moved the switch to the top. I think that is the one that glows with the battery indicator. Don't think I'd like that if it were on the bar mount - like you would really helmet mount this beast?

Will let you know about the D99 when it shows up in another month or so...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rpnbilly View Post
    I wrote DX to ask about the batteries too VARIDER, and they told me only the new clone batteries work, like sku 153971 or sku 155514. People on CPF have stated that they have used the magicshine batteries with the new clone lights, but the plugs are not a tight connection, and also not waterproof.
    Ah OK, good to know.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I wrote DX to ask about the batteries too VARIDER, and they told me only the new clone batteries work, like sku 153971 or sku 155514.
    Hopefully that means that the 4x26650 batteries will work too
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020905
    High-capacity 10000mAh 8.4V 4*26650 LED Bike Light Battery Pack - led bike light online

I wrote about my runtime test with my 4x26650 batterie and a 3x XM-L clone here:
    New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped

/Hkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    Hopefully that means that the 4x26650 batteries will work too
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020905
    High-capacity 10000mAh 8.4V 4*26650 LED Bike Light Battery Pack - led bike light online

I wrote about my runtime test with my 4x26650 batterie and a 3x XM-L clone here:
    New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped

/Hkan
    SWEDEN
    Hakan,
    Does this battery's connector match the connector on the 3x light you have?

mtbr member
    I wrote to Ultrafire from their website homepage, as I could not see it listed on the store page or the homepage. They told me it was not from Ultrafire, that they are not the manufacturer at all,
    This is not to say that other batteries don't work. I have one of the Tri-Clone 3 x XM-L lamps and yes the plug on the light is slightly different than the MagicShine plugs. Nevertheless the MS batteries work fine with the lamp as do the Bikeray, Xeccon and DiNottte batteries ( with the DiNotte batteries making the worst connection ) All the others have a very good connection although might not be as water proof as the full proprietary set-up. I can't see that as a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    This is not to say that other batteries don't work. I have one of the Tri-Clone 3 x XM-L lamps and yes the plug on the light is slightly different than the MagicShine plugs. Nevertheless the MS batteries work fine with the lamp as do the Bikeray, Xeccon and DiNottte batteries ( with the DiNotte batteries making the worst connection ) All the others have a very good connection although might not be as water proof as the full proprietary set-up. I can't see that as a deal breaker.
    Cat-man,
    How hard is it to replace the connectors to something that is tight, waterproof and standard?
    Is it just standard wire...or coax...or?
    I just bought a 3x clone and a XML U2 and wonder if I could change out all the connectors to one style that works so I could easily swap batteries
    tia

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Hakan,
    Does this battery's connector match the connector on the 3x light you have?
    I don't know about the KD-battery, I have the battery from LT box
    and its connector works with both my Tri-Clone 3 x XM-L lamp and my MS lamps.

That the connector is not waterproof is no big deal, at least not for me,
    the voltage is <8,4V and the impedance is low.
    But the electronics, both in the light and in the battery, should of course be kept in a waterproof housing.

/Hkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Cat-man,
    How hard is it to replace the connectors to something that is tight, waterproof and standard?
    Is it just standard wire...or coax...or?
    I just bought a 3x clone and a XML U2 and wonder if I could change out all the connectors to one style that works so I could easily swap batteries
    tia
    If you have some basic DIY skills and some decent tools it shouldn't be too hard. When you strip the outer wire there are two inner wires, black and red. Black is ground, red is the positive.

Personally I'm not too concerned how water proof the plugs are as long as they are reasonably tight and have good over lap. This is why I like using the MagicShine type connectors so no matter what battery ( or lamp ) I have everything works. I won't buy a battery ( or a lamp ) if it isn't compatible with the MS connectors. Too much of a PITA to have to switch out plugs.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm sure there are better connectors available but personally I'm not willing to switch out connectors just because I might see an occasional rain shower. If possible I try not to ride if it's going to rain anyway. The "Intellicast.com " website with it's "real time" radar is my best friend. So far I've not had a lamp fail because the plugs got wet ( and yes that has happened a time or two ).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks.
    I'm not really worried about waterproof...but, like you said...I want a good connection.
    I think I'm going to order that battery pack the Hakan tried for the 3x light.
    I really can't believe how cheap these are....in a good way

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    This looks familiar... 深圳市三*科技有限公司
    It looks like it was originally a decent light. With the 6 cell battery, a 3 hour battery life is believable. It's too bad DX is selling the lesser version. The 15 beam should make it a good choice for helmet mounting. The mount that it comes with effectively makes it 3 times bigger though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    It looks like it was originally a decent light. With the 6 cell battery, a 3 hour battery life is believable. It's too bad DX is selling the lesser version. The 15 beam should make it a good choice for helmet mounting. The mount that it comes with effectively makes it 3 times bigger though.
    Yep, the version sold on the other website looks like it comes with a better battery. However I couldn't tell how to buy it from that website. There is no mention of price. More than likely this is the wholesaler who wants to sell in bulk.

Looks like DX sold out of the Ultrafire version. The other websites are selling these for about $175 USD. Okay, the 6-cell battery makes it worth more but NOT THAT MUCH MORE. Better to wait till D/X gets it back in stock or someone else offering it for less.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I done some more digging. Yes, Sanguan is the manufacturer. There are a few examples of (non-U.S) retailers selling these: (UK apparently) The Lumenator - mtb batteries supplying portable power solutions to the UK (re-branded for them) & 2200 lumen light set

Bear in mind the DX knockoff may not be an exact replica of that Sanguan unit, as it states T6 bin, vs. U2 for the Sanguan. I am intrigued by this lighthead, but may wait until more of them/variants hit the market.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast