Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have built two different light designs using Carclo optics and was unhappy with both as the beam was too floody for my preference. That was using the tightest available for MCE and XPG emitters. Using them with XML emitters may give better results. If a flood light is your preference then you may like them too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What optics did you end up using?

The only reason I ended up on the carlco page was that I did a google search on tir optics and it was one first ones that came up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 90% certain these optics will be a perfect fit:
    Optical lens : Led Flashlight-International Outdoor Store

Dimensions stated:
    *Diameter: 21.2mm
    *Height: 13mm

I'm pretty sure these dimensions include the outer white shell which is removable. I've got a couple of these lying around, if I can find them I can give you the exact dimensions.

Optics like these look very interesting:
    2 PCS CREE XM-L LED Optic 30*60 Degrees [Optic 30*60 Degrees] - $2.65 : Led Flashlight-International Outdoor Store

They're the wide angle type that would flatten and widen the beam profile like an automobile, probably have a similar effect to the wide angle lens from actionledlights.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Carclo for the MCE was their 20mm diameter series. I actually never used that on the bike it was so bad. I made a different housing to fit Ledil CMC square optic. It was better but still pretty wide. The XPG light used the Carclo 10mm square series. I used it for a year but made another XPG light using Ledil Regina reflectors to replace it.

My current helmet light uses the 10 degree version of the optic JR first linked to. It's pretty good. For me it makes a better bar light than helmet light. If those fit your housing it would probably be a nice upgrade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Those optics look pretty good! Much cheaper than the carclo. Thanks for the link.

Vancbiker do you prefer a super-tight hot spot over a flood type beam? I remember reading that before. I've heard that the regina refectors are very good based on casual reading of the diy forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any chance Vancbiker you can send us the dimensions of the optic you mentioned? Mine appear to have gone missing....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, I prefer a pretty tight beam on both helmet and bar. I find a wide beam casts shadows to the side of the trail that are eyecatching and distracting. Why light up someplace you are not going? The Regina reflector is the best 20mm reflector I have used. I have only used it on XPGs, not XMLs though. Best XML reflector I have seen so far is a ~40mm from kaidomain.

The 10 degree optic measures 21.1mm diameter at the widest point. It is about .05mm out of round. Including the white holder, it is 12.75 tall. It needs to use the white holder to properly space the optic to the LED. It keeps the optic .75mm off the LED. At the large end, the white holder can be trimmed a bit if one needs to shorten the assembly. Height drops to 12.35mm after trimming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whokilledJR View Post
    I'm 90% certain these optics will be a perfect fit:
    Optical lens : Led Flashlight-International Outdoor Store

Dimensions stated:
    *Diameter: 21.2mm
    *Height: 13mm
    Me likey narrow optics too. I might just order me a set of these and then cross my fingers hoping they will work on the D99.

My D99 included a small white plastic washer to fit around each of the emitters. I think the purpose of these was to give the optic something to sit against. That might explain why there are weak spots in the beam pattern. Maybe they couldn't find an optic that would fit flush against the emitter dome. Not that there were major flaws in the beam pattern but it was noticeable to me when I first tried it out. I could deal with that but I didn't like the bluish tint of the emitters. Then again perhaps an optic that sits more flush would have removed some of the bluishness from the output.

Yeah, I could tear out the emitters and install new emitters and optics but for the money, time and trouble easier to just buy a new one with XM-L U2's or XM-L2's all set to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So probably not a perfect fit afterall...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just ordered this one from FastTech today. I've never ordered from them, hopefully it won't take too long. I only wish they had it in purple to match my bike, lol. I went with red though.

Quote Originally Posted by leuchte81 View Post
    Hi guys,
    me again! Now you can get the light at fasttech.com and pay via paypal.

$51.18 YINDING 2*Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 1800-Lumen White LED Bike Light / Headlamp - 1*battery pack (4*18650 / 4400mAh / 2S2P) / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Unfortunately I just purchased it from aliexpress!!! Maybe I gonna cancel that order...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    I just ordered this one from FastTech today. I've never ordered from them, hopefully it won't take too long. I only wish they had it in purple to match my bike, lol. I went with red though.
    They seem pretty good. I took about 7 days to California for my order with a tracking number provided.

Please report back on this light. It looks very promising!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You guys that are getting the new light, could you please start a new thread once you get it. Call it a Gemini Duo clone or D99 replacement or something. I think the new light doesn't really have that much to do with the D99, other than a similar shape. It's just a suggestion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Fasttech is selling an upgraded version of the d99 with the new xm-l2 emitters. Considering the first d99 wasn't the best, it might not be worth a purchase. Then again maybe they fixed the poor heat sinking and the weird beam pattern

$43.45 FandyFire D99-L2 2*Cree XM-L2 T6 5-Mode 1800-Lumen White LED Bike Light - black / 1*battery pack / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Fixing heat sinking will require a new case, I'm sure that its the same old light

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Fixing heat sinking will require a new case, I'm sure that its the same old light
    Yes, I'm as skeptical as you. It's probably has the same problem that you described.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Fasttech is selling an upgraded version of the d99 with the new xm-l2 emitters. Considering the first d99 wasn't the best, it might not be worth a purchase. Then again maybe they fixed the poor heat sinking and the weird beam pattern

$43.45 FandyFire D99-L2 2*Cree XM-L2 T6 5-Mode 1800-Lumen White LED Bike Light - black / 1*battery pack / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Yeah, with poor heat sinking the price is an issue BUT...the XM-L2 handles heat better and the beam tint will be better ( and brighter ) than the previous T-6 version. I really did like the 4-mode driver on the original D99's. The real question is optics; will the provided optics work well with the L2's. Wish these were available as "lamp head only".

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Yeah, with poor heat sinking the price is an issue BUT...the XM-L2 handles heat better and the beam tint will be better ( and brighter ) than the previous T-6 version. I really did like the 4-mode driver on the original D99's. The real question is optics; will the provided optics work well with the L2's. Wish these were available as "lamp head only".
    Has anyone got the new D99 with L2 emitters? I'm looking for something floody (preferably light head only) to replace my MJ872 that died on a rainy ride last week and this looks interesting.

/Johan

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9