Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Action-LED-Lights ? Computer / Headlight Mount

I bougth the MT-201P, build quality is very good and the bar lenght is a perfect fit fot D99.

mtbr member
    I use the MT 204 and really like it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I wonder what chemistry battery came with my mj-808?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Every battery pack sold with bike headlights is LiCo ;-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good to know!

mtbr member
    Dam, I spaced out and let the paypal dispute period slip by. Ordered a D99 on 28 April, and still haven't received it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ask dealextreme for a refund or for another to be sent free. If you are kind and wait patiently for their reply there is some chance that you'll sort it out.

Happened to me twice, and I live in Italy, the country with the wrost customs service in the whole world. It usually takes 60 days for chinese packages to be delivered to my door.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I've sent and they've started an inquiry. I can wait.

mtbr member
    Beamshots, anyone?

mtbr member

Consumer Alert: No charger with D/X D-99 offerings.

It has just come to my attention ( from a post on another website ) that NONE of the D99's sold WITH BATTERY from D/X are including a charger ( ). No mention of this is included in the ads. Very bad marketing unless of course this was a mistake somehow. I've notified the D/X rep so he can address the issue.

In retrospect, If you are buying ANY lamp from D/X that includes a battery read the ad very carefully to make sure if it includes a charger. ( look at all photos to confirm this as well ).

mtbr member
    The good news is they have refunded my order, which has never arrived. Anyway I'm taking it the SolarStorm is the preferred of the two, so...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quick update guys,

we have updated the sku#206863 D99 to reference the charger needed (which is the sku:132155)

the other D99 don't come with battery packs included. Thanks Cat and others for pointing it out.

The Solarstorm kits are complete with charger.

DX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DXofficial View Post
    Quick update guys,

we have updated the sku#206863 D99 to reference the charger needed (which is the sku:132155)

the other D99 don't come with battery packs included. Thanks Cat and others for pointing it out.

The Solarstorm kits are complete with charger.

DX

Ali offers refunds if item doesn't arrive in 20 days. You people made me wait 3 months. Screw your updates.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's a nice looking light. I wonder if this has flood optics like the d99.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    It has them, same plastic TIR-lenses. I'll probably buy it to test and review, neutral-white T6-3B XM-L2 leds are a rare thing for chinese lights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So with the mounts from action LED you are still mounting with o-ring? I worry about vibration and light drooping. Is there a way to hard mount it to a clamp instead? That would be preferable IMO.

mtbr member
    ohhhhh...very nice! Me Likey. 2000ma output....nice ...XM-L2's ...nice...Looks like the MCPCB is mounted to a full metal back....even better. This one's only three modes but...oh no, wait a minute....low mode only 5%....mid-mode only 30%...DEAL KILLER!!

No Cat Nip here I'm afraid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    5%, 30% 100% mode spacing sounds quite good to me. The Human eye does a terrible job of discerning difference between lumens, 30% would look more like 65% brightness. With a mid mode of 50% the brightness wouldn't appear to be all that different between mid and high mode. I know from modding flashlights that the difference between 1A and 2A isn't really that discernable to the naked eye, although I'd rather have the option to go up to 5A, just because..

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You're really just buying the light head. Look at the battery pack. Looks like a 4 cell. They state 8800 mah. Ha, think not.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    I agree, 5-30-100 is much better as 5-50-100.
    And as for battery pack...8800 is unfortunately possible since it probably uses 4.2v input voltage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    I agree, 5-30-100 is much better as 5-50-100.
    And as for battery pack...8800 is unfortunately possible since it probably uses 4.2v input voltage
    Yeah it might be 4.2 volts. The mode set-up suggest it is using a flashlight driver. The 30% mid mode is typical for flashlights. Since I use flashlights I know the mid-modes are quite usable but than again flashlights typically use reflectors which put most of the light where you need it and this lamp uses optics. Also if the battery is 4.2 volts the LED's might be in parallel which would cut the power down a lot. Lots of "if's" here.
    If I were to buy one of these it wouldn't be before contacting the seller to try to get a little more information.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If it's a 4.2v battery then it would be like 1A to the emitters if comparing to other 8.4v bike lights which would be too low, I'd suggest it's an 8.4v 4400mAH battery pack as usual and someones just got their math wrong. This one looks great to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ooh, I like this one! How'd I miss this thread?
    It's currently on sale ($57) but the sale ends in an hour.
    Hopefully someone will have it on sale again soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think wkJR is right on this one otherwise at 4.2v you'd be looking at maybe 250 lumens per LED?? Or there abouts.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whokilledJR View Post
    If it's a 4.2v battery then it would be like 1A to the emitters if comparing to other 8.4v bike lights which would be too low, I'd suggest it's an 8.4v 4400mAH battery pack as usual and someones just got their math wrong. This one looks great to me.
    Believe me, since no one really knows you want to ask the seller BEFORE you buy. I like the look of these lights too but if you want something to work like you want you have to put those thoughts aside. Function is more important than looks.

My gut tells me these lamps might put out about 900-1000 lumen on high. That would put the mid-mode at around 300 lumen. On the other hand if the emitters are in series you will have much better output on high and the mid-mode might get as high as 400-450 lumen. That wouldn't be so bad but personally I'd rather have the mid-mode at least 500-600 lumen with low about 200. Judging from the comparison photos I think my first guess is the more likely. Hope I'm wrong about that. I would love to see a user beam shot of this lamp.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fully agree Cat-man-do, I should make it clear I'm only happy to speculate as I'm off the market to buy one of these lights but am interested in the near future, but I'd probably contact the seller to clarify some details as well before buying.

I'm a little optimistic with this light because of the convoy brand, while still budget they are generally well built, of good value and quite popular in the flashlight community, in particular for modding as these are generally DIY hosts. I love the design of the integrated pill (led stars attached direct to the host) and the single dual star, and the fact that it comes with XM-L2 with the 3B tint makes it look like someones been listening.

Again I'm speculating but I doubt it's a 4.2v battery pack with driver wired in series, it would lose to much brightness and wouldn't make sense considering the good heatsink design. Also I doubt it would be a typical flashlight driver, as mentioned above Convoy are basically built hosts that are fitted with standard drivers and emitters after they've left the manufacturer, or so it would seem. So far I haven't come across a convoy product that comes with it's own driver. It would be difficult to find a standard flashlight driver that's built for 4 cells in series at 4.2v or even finding a flashlight driver wired 2s2p as they aren't very common, the former probably don't exist as it wouldn't make much sense. It would make a lot more sense that they are using a typical bike light driver for fitting and compatibility.

The optics has both it's pros and cons, without seeing a beam shot I like the idea of having floody optics as they would disperse light more evenly than a reflector and would be less of an issue for other drivers to look at, however you will lose lumens with them as optics aren't as efficient as reflectors, they are only something like 70%-80% efficient. However I do wonder if they are the standard sized TIR optics that are sold at some flashlight vendors:

Optical lens : Led Flashlight-International Outdoor Store

If they are it would add some real modding potential and versality as you can select a range of different kinds of flood and spot optics.

The dual shadow light battery pack and driver work differently, this is of no surprise as shadow are their own brand and on their newer models they have been making their own drivers.

Of course this is all just fun speculation, I could be wrong and would feel like a complete tit if I was wrong and someone bought one based on my information.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi guys,
    anybody already recognized that one?

Latest 2xCree XML U2 LED Bicycle Light Rechargeable Bike headlight/lamp Front Light +Power Indicate 8.4v Battery Pack-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

Seems to be the same light but with 2 xml U2 and 8,4V... and much cheaper.

I don't post to often in this forum, but I was guessing this could be interesting...

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Nice find!
    Seems like the same light, yeah.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by leuchte81 View Post
    Hi guys,
    anybody already recognized that one?

Latest 2xCree XML U2 LED Bicycle Light Rechargeable Bike headlight/lamp Front Light +Power Indicate 8.4v Battery Pack-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

Seems to be the same light but with 2 xml U2 and 8,4V... and much cheaper.

I don't post to often in this forum, but I was guessing this could be interesting...
    One thing that concerns me is that the URL address is odd. When you hover your cursor over the link, the URL is for a Q5 250 lumen head lamp.
    Wonder if there's a mix up, because that price seems pretty low, no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    One thing that concerns me is that the URL address is odd. When you hover your cursor over the link, the URL is for a Q5 250 lumen head lamp.
    Wonder if there's a mix up, because that price seems pretty low, no?
    I see no problems with the link. The price is not unusually low. These are with XM-L U2's while the other was with warmer bin XM-L2's. A real shame they didn't decide to keep the 4 mode driver ( with two buttons ) that was used with the original D99's. I would buy one of these in a heart beat but I just don't know if I would like the output. Anyone out there plan on buying one of these? We really need a review with some user beam pics.

edit:...side thought: I wonder if these set-ups are compatible with the optics used on the Gloworm lamps?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi all,
    as this shop had no reviews I contacted the shop (to see if I get an answer) via ali and asked about the URL-address. That's what he answered:

Thank you for your info. There is something wrong with the Ali. It is the original 2x CREE XML U2 Bike light, not Q5(it is only used for flashlight). And the current draw is 3 A on high mode.There are U3 bike light which is also popular.Our web is below: http://www.fobledlight.com/EN/index.html

So the current draw with 3A would be higher than with the first version of SHENZEHN Great Wall Tech with 2A...

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I see no problems with the link. The price is not unusually low.
    When you hover your cursor over the link, the url says "Cree-Q5-LED-250-lm-18650-Head-light-Tapping-lamp-Miner-s-lamp-headlamp-Bike". You have to do this on a desk top computer with your mouse.

As far as the price, I just saw these somewhere else for like $89 (or thereabout), so I'd say $42.50 is pretty low.

So low in fact that I contacted them to make sure it wasn't for JUST the light head, and they replied that it is a complete light kit with battery and charger, and that it's just on promotion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ooh, I like this one! How'd I miss this thread?
    It's currently on sale ($57) but the sale ends in an hour.
    Hopefully someone will have it on sale again soon.
    It's back on sale! I just wish we had better beamshots of this light. I feel I got burned by the d99.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    It's back on sale! I just wish we had better beamshots of this light. I feel I got burned by the d99.
    Thanks for the update. I'm gonna bookmark it, but I gotta say, now I'm more interested in the XML-U2 version for only $42.50 that leuchte81 linked.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I'm gonna bookmark it, but I gotta say, now I'm more interested in the XML-U2 version for only $42.50 that leuchte81 linked.
    Yes, so am I. Not sure I believe that the driver is putting out 3A. If it is I would have to ask whither or not the LED's are in series or in parallel. If in series with 3A THAT would make for one little bright lamp. Once again though the other important question to ask is , " What is the power output to each of the three steady modes"? Would be nice if you could buy one without the battery.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi guys,
    me again. I found the light head on gemini lights.

Gemini DUO LED Light 1400 Lumens | Gemini Lights

Looks nice, but a littler more expensive...

Someone already bougt something from Aliexpress? Unfortunately they don't accept paypal. Otherwise I already would have bought one most likely.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Hi guys,
    me again. I found the light head on gemini lights.

Gemini DUO LED Light 1400 Lumens | Gemini Lights

Looks nice, but a littler more expensive...

Someone already bougt something from Aliexpress? Unfortunately they don't accept paypal. Otherwise I already would have bought one most likely.

Cheers
    Ha! How 'bout that. Dang if it doesn't look exactly like the Gemini Duo!

About the Paypal thing with Aliexpress; Yeah I noticed that the other day. I was going to buy something and then noticed that they didn't take Paypal. Because of that I decided not to purchase. If Paypal doesn't trust them I'm not going to trust them.

Not to worry, it shouldn't be too long before some of the other Chinese light websites begin to sell these.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi guys,
    me again! Now you can get the light at fasttech.com and pay via paypal.

$51.18 YINDING 2*Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 1800-Lumen White LED Bike Light / Headlamp - 1*battery pack (4*18650 / 4400mAh / 2S2P) / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Unfortunately I just purchased it from aliexpress!!! Maybe I gonna cancel that order...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hi guys,
    me again! Now you can get the light at fasttech.com and pay via paypal.

$51.18 YINDING 2*Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 1800-Lumen White LED Bike Light / Headlamp - 1*battery pack (4*18650 / 4400mAh / 2S2P) / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Unfortunately I just purchased it from aliexpress!!! Maybe I gonna cancel that order...
    cool, i was also put off by no paypal @ aliexpress.
    now to decide between the shadow BL20, Yinding 2x cree xm-L U2 & the nitefire hero2 3x for a new barlight.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Whats with the paypal obsession? Ali offers the same buyer protection without all the paypal crap with blocked accounts.
    And fasttech one is kinda expensive - its cheaper on ali OR you could get custom version for $6 more with much better neutral-white xm-l2 leds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Whats with the paypal obsession? Ali offers the same buyer protection without all the paypal crap with blocked accounts.
    And fasttech one is kinda expensive - its cheaper on ali OR you could get custom version for $6 more with much better neutral-white xm-l2 leds.
    prefer not to give out my credit card details. Thats why

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'd also avoid any store that doesn't accept PayPal...

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    And why should chinese trading platform use USA paypal?
    Personally I try to avoid paypal payments because its probably the worst company ever...but this is getting offtopic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    And why should chinese trading platform use USA paypal?
    I'd put the question other way around: why Chinese trading platform oriented to the foreign customers, ask them to use USA payment systems like VISA or MasterCard, but refuse to accept customer-security layer commonly used essentially everywhere?

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Because they provide their own security layer (your money is not released to seller until you've confirmed that you've received your order - which is even better than paypal).
    AliExpress Buyer Protection Home
    Ad unlike paypal they won't randomly lock your account because of "suspicious activity" and ask you to fax some random documents to them (happend to me twice already). Paypal is horrible and everybody knows that

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Being long-time happy PayPal user, I wish great success to AliExpress with its own security. But without me...

mtbr member
    Because they provide their own security layer (your money is not released to seller until you've confirmed that you've received your order - which is even better than paypal).
    AliExpress Buyer Protection Home
    Ad unlike paypal they won't randomly lock your account because of "suspicious activity" and ask you to fax some random documents to them (happend to me twice already). Paypal is horrible and everybody knows that
    ...Sorry, don't take this the wrong way. I just couldn't help from laughing because I'm assuming that maybe Paypal saw all the lamps you were buying and thought maybe something was wrong. You have to admit your "purchasing pattern" is somewhat unusual and probably quite different from most. Even the credit card companies will freeze a card if they see "unusual activity".

The only reason I prefer PP is because it's so easy. The added bonus is that I don't have to share the CC info with anyone but them. Buying is much easier because when you press the "use Paypal" button the link takes you directly to PP and all you have to do is use your password to confirm that you are who you say you are. I figure the less people that have my credit card info the better off I am. Personally, I've never had a problem with them. On chance that I suspect my PP info ( password ) has been compromised all I have to do is change the password. So far, I've only done that once.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! New optics for the original d99

I've been mulling over trying to switch out the optics on the original d99 in order to get a better beam shape. The original did not have have a true hot spot, as it created a hot ring with the inside of the ring being dimmer than the super narrow ring part.

I measured the optics in the d99 and found the diameter to be about 19.6mm and a height of 12.2 mm.

The 20mm carclo optics are the approximate the same diameter (might need to file it down). They are a little shorter at a height of 9.9 mm. The optics are held on by pressfit by an inside lip on the silver part against the led board and body. You can probably make up the difference in height by putting a small oring or washer in front of smaller carclo optics, or by sanding down the edge of the silver part on the d99.

I've been spending a lot of time on the carclo optics page looking at all the options. There are a ton of options for different optics.
    Carclo Optics - Opticselect (search for xml optics)
    Pretty much the sky is the limit on what you can achieve. On the details page for each optic you can see a chart (and a picture) of what the beam with an xml emitter looks like. Each optics has it's own spread and the 50% beam strength angle is shown on the graph. I think you can consider this to be the width of the hot spot.

I projected some lamps I have onto a wall and measured the width of the hot spot. Then I measured the distance from the wall and used some trigonometry to figure out the approximate angle.

Magischine 808E has an approximate total sweep angle of 11 degrees
    872 clone has total sweep angle of 22 degrees.

I really like the spread of the 872 clone, and have always thought the 808E was too narrow (for a bar light). Obviously the throw is not that great on the 872 clone.

The carclo optics have a huge range of beam spread that includes both of these lights. I was surprised at how big the range really is. I think the narrowest is the 10193 at 16 degrees all the way up to 46 degrees of the 10209. Some of the optics even have a region near the center in which the intensity is even.

There's also an elliptical optic 10197 which focuses all the light into a bar shaped hotspot. This could be very useful for a road bike light.
    Optics details

A lot of these options are for sale on Newark for around two or three dollars per optic.
    10197 - CARCLO OPTICS - LENS, REBEL | Newark

Here's a quick chart of the beam spread (paired with xm-l). This is the 50% peak intensity list on the chart)

10193 - 16 degree (total from left to right) (similar to 808E)
    10194 - 18 degrees
    10195 - 26 degrees
    10196 - 38 degrees
    10197 - Elliptical
    10208 - 32 degrees
    10209 - 46 degrees

All these are available on newark.

So is worth getting new optics for this light? For the sake of experimentation, maybe. But I think this emitter aren't driven very hard, so the end result still won't be very bright. By the time you add shipping you are spending around $10 -$12 (at newark) for two optics. I priced three sets of optics for a total of $24. Like I said, it's probably not worth the extra cost when you can just buy a better lighthead (ssx2, 872 clone, triple xml, d50, quattro xml). I might be cool be mess around with it though, and a cheap way to determine which kind of beam shape you prefer.

Just to clear, I haven't actually bought any of the optics and tried it out. So I'm not a 100% sure it will work. You might be throwing your money away if you do buy these optics.

I put all this work into reading about the optics and I thought you all might find this useful.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast