Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Two small lights for handlebar

I'm looking for some small lights for the handlebars. I would like to have two lights with approx 400 lumens each.

Right now I have two torches on the handlebars, but I would rather have two small lights and a battery pack attached to the frame.

I have found this MagicShine MJ-858

This is exactly what I was looking for, but I was hoping for something cheaper. Does anyone know if there are similar products and preferably cheaper than the MagicShine?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just get a Magicshine 808 clone that is sold for around $25 - $35 on ebay and amazon. Much brighter than this light. Do a search for "xml bike light" and you will get a huge number of hits. Also read this thread:
    Review of Ebay: 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle HeadLight Lamp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Just get a Magicshine 808 clone that is sold for around $25 - $35 on ebay and amazon. Much brighter than this light. Do a search for "xml bike light" and you will get a huge number of hits. Also read this thread:
    Review of Ebay: 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle HeadLight Lamp
    I have thought about that. I have one of those lights on my helmet, so I just need something to light up right in front of me and thought these small ones could be found cheaper and that I could use one battery for both lights on the handlebar

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    They come with a smaller battery pack, probably can't power two of them from one small battery.
    Action-LED-Lights — Magicshine MJ-858 400* lumen light set

It probably comes out to be more expensive to buy two of these than to buy one Magichine 808. They are pretty small also.

If you get two lights for the bar you will have to change the brightness of both lights independently. That would drive me nuts.

You can get the 808 with a remote. It's a pretty nice setup. It is very spotty however.
    If you do get the 858, maybe you could put of some beamshots. I am curious about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

mtbr member
    That looks interesting. But I can see I might as well buy two T6 lights because it is almost the same price

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Kir, do you have photos of these next to other lights for size reference?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jesperjes View Post
    I'm looking for some small lights for the handlebars. I would like to have two lights with approx 400 lumens each.

Right now I have two torches on the handlebars, but I would rather have two small lights and a battery pack attached to the frame.

I have found this MagicShine MJ-858

This is exactly what I was looking for, but I was hoping for something cheaper. Does anyone know if there are similar products and preferably cheaper than the MagicShine?
    Since your join date is 2008 and you only have 14 posts I'm going to assume you don't look at these forums much. That being the case, times have changed. You don't need to run two "separate" lamps on the bars to get decent output. There are a number of websites that now sell the inexpensive Chinese duel emitter lamps. There are so many it is hard to name them all but the most popular right now is probably the Solarstorm X2. No reason to run two separate lamps on the bars when one will do the same thing, operate with one battery and take up about the same amount of space on the bars.

Now if you still insist on running two smaller lamps ( ea.with low 400 lumen outputs ) you will likely end up spending a little more money and not get near the same amount of potential output.

Unpredictable

mtbr member
    Ixon IQ Speed ...

except its ridiculously expensive, but it's two small lights for the handlebar though

okay maybe not that small either ...

but there's 2 of them that plug into one battery.

Light freak
    I would prefer ONE really small light (with 2 LEDs) that puts out ~800 lumens

Two small lights for handlebar-amoeba-bar-mounted.jpg

mtbr member
    Thank you for all the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Since your join date is 2008 and you only have 14 posts I'm going to assume you don't look at these forums much. That being the case, times have changed. You don't need to run two "separate" lamps on the bars to get decent output. There are a number of websites that now sell the inexpensive Chinese duel emitter lamps. There are so many it is hard to name them all but the most popular right now is probably the Solarstorm X2. No reason to run two separate lamps on the bars when one will do the same thing, operate with one battery and take up about the same amount of space on the bars.

Now if you still insist on running two smaller lamps ( ea.with low 400 lumen outputs ) you will likely end up spending a little more money and not get near the same amount of potential output.
    What I'm looking for is something that will light up right in front of me and I thought that two small lights would be the answer. Are you saying that a lamp like the Solarstorm X2 will give the same amount of flood as two single lamps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Since your join date is 2008 and you only have 14 posts I'm going to assume you don't look at these forums much. That being the case, times have changed. You don't need to run two "separate" lamps on the bars to get decent output.
    damn Cat ! are you secretly Sherlock Holmes ? do you read minds ? i thought the guy is just a fetishist and likes to have two small lamps because he thinks that looks sexy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Are you saying that a lamp like the Solarstorm X2 will give the same amount of flood as two single lamps?
    Yes. But if you still want 2 lamps on your handle bars then buy two Solarstorm X2's! You'll have twice the amount of light!
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    damn Cat ! are you secretly Sherlock Holmes ? do you read minds ? i thought the guy is just a fetishist and likes to have two small lamps because he thinks that looks sexy.
    Androgen, you must be the real Sherlock! I was going for the sexy look!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Yes. But if you still want 2 lamps on your handle bars then buy two Solarstorm X2's! You'll have twice the amount of light!
    why not buy 7 Solarstorm X2's ? or maybe 11 ?

on a more serious note i would prefer a single multi-LED center-mounted light on the bar. for example a NiteRider Pro, or Baja Double Stryk.

although obviously it would depend on application ...

did mister 2 small lights even mention what his application is ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    why not buy 7 Solarstorm X2's ? or maybe 11 ?
    That will depend on how wide his handle bars are!
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    did mister 2 small lights even mention what his application is ?
    All I want is a decent (cheap) light on the handlebar with a wide beam pattern to light up right in front of me when I hit the singletracks in the woods. I thought that two small lights was the simple solution, but I can see that I might be wrong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    That will depend on how wide his handle bars are!
    hehe, i actually run two lights on my helmet, but i think a single good light is better than two OK lights.

is SolarStorm that special that you would rather use two of them than a single bigger light ?

mtbr member
    All I want is a decent (cheap) light on the handlebar with a wide beam pattern to light up right in front of me when I hit the singletracks in the woods. I thought that two small lights was the simple cheap solution, but I can see that I might be wrong
    you have to realize that for a beam that is 2X as wide you need 4X as much light output for it to be equally bright. in other words area is proportional to width squared. this is why low powered lights tend to have a narrow beam.

the widest beam of any light i know of is NiteRider Pro 3600, it is also the most powerful light currently on the market - and that's not a coincidence at all.

just something for you to keep in mind ...

by the way for the woods, if you can afford NiteRider Pro ( Not just 3600 ) i think you will be very happy with it. for the road there are better lights.

Light freak

2x Cree XP-G (old beam shot)

Two small lights for handlebar-amoeba-beam-shot.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    2 XPG
    scar don't you think your product would be more popular if it was a tail light ? designshine tail light has been sold out ever since i learned about it and i doubt that will ever change.

i would be very interested in a DS-500 alternative, and i'm sure many people would pay as much as $300 for it. on the other hand NOBODY will ever pay $300 for a comparable headlight when you can just get a Lupine Piko.

i would be interested in a ~ 1,000 lumen red tail light with a beam pattern somewhere between a Dinotte 400R and Red Zone 8.

aside from the fact that DS-500 is always sold out what puts me away from trying to source one is a hotspot it has in the middle, which prevents you from being able to use it at maximum setting at night.

an ideal tail light for me would be DS-500 minus that hotspot in the center, and with perhaps double the lumens and even wider, more RZ8-like spill.

i think if you make a light like that you won't need to promote it in every thread - it is going to be sold out the moment you make it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast