mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Trustfire TR-801 Question

Just got this from Dealextreme, I noticed on the forums that some people have gotten the wrong emitter.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095

None of the photos in the forums look like my emitter, I have a white board but that is the only thing in common.
    So, do I have a Q5 or P4 emitter?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks like the Q5 one to me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you have the Q5. there was a post on deal extreme saying a guy got a bad batch of lights which had a non white backing board for the led. he said if the backing board was white it was the Q5. After using my lights I could tell they were Q5's as they were really bright and had a white color. If you don't have the white'ish light color and a really bright light then they aren't the Q5's.

e

mtbr member
    IMO...I really don't think you can tell by just looking at it. I have a couple torches with Cree P-4's and when I look at my Cree R-2 torch it is hard to tell a difference by just looking at the emitter. Not to mention that a P-4 can be pretty bright too although not near as bright as a properly driven Q-5. Unless you have another torch to compare it with I would assume it is a Q-5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    sorry to highjack the thread but Cat-man-do, what is the proper way to drive this emitter? I am currently building a diy light using the tr-801 flashlight. I'm assuming it has an appropriate driver in the flashlight itself. I'm using the 2500mah batteries in parallel.

thanks,

e

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gexas
    sorry to highjack the thread but Cat-man-do, what is the proper way to drive this emitter? I am currently building a diy light using the tr-801 flashlight. I'm assuming it has an appropriate driver in the flashlight itself. I'm using the 2500mah batteries in parallel.

thanks,

e
    That's kind of a loaded question as there are lots of ways to drive an LED. A lot depends on what battery voltage you want to run and how many LED's you want to drive. Since you mentioned that you were going to use the TR-801 I'll assume that you are going to do a torch mod. Hopefully the board in the torch will work fine. If not there are other drivers sold elsewhere that might work with torches. D/X sells some that should work, however it should be noted that many people have said they have ordered drivers from D/X and have waited months for the shipping. Max drive current for a Q-5 is 1000ma. For a torch, I would think a driver in the 750-850ma range should be good to drive the Q-5. You should also check out the DIY forum ( link at top of page ). Troutie has started a thread on drivers. Maybe someone there might be able to give you some more tips for moding a torch.