Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens

Be afraid. I know I am

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-1450680_10151968584383213_1397933112_n.jpg  

IPA will save America

Light freak
    Be afraid of what?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm more afraid of the price $1,199.00. Ouch!

Halo - Trail Led

No pictures of the battery pack. It lasts two hours on high, so it must be a substantial battery pack.

They also have a ds for 499 that puts out 3000 lumens.
    DS - Trail Led

Light freak
    Wish Androgen was still around. He would love this thing

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post

He would need at least two of them!

mtbr member
    That's insane!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    OMG!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "Low - 4000 lumens" LOL

swag ho Administrator
    Pack is a big black shrink wrapped rectangular box. 640 grams.

Here's a photo with my other test product... the Dux Helm with built-in visor.

I had a little accident last night as I looked into the light. Was looking at a mirror and then I turned it on. #searedretina.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-img_1003.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member

Careful what you wish for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Be afraid. I know I am

fc
    Beam Shots!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Be afraid. I know I am

fc
    That's a lot of light

WOW, I can see forever with these lights! Sniff sniff you smell something burning?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Be afraid. I know I am

fc
    Afraid that it is the same outfit that was slow to deliver or failed to deliver product?

Trailled.com

Trail led

Hopefully if it is the same outfit they have gotten the act together and can keep it together. Until then buyer beware.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Afraid that it is the same outfit that was slow to deliver or failed to deliver product?

Trailled.com

Trail led

Hopefully if it is the same outfit they have gotten the act together and can keep it together. Until then buyer beware.
    Vanc...thanks for the heads-up warning.

My take on this lamp. Interesting design. I would love to see what the beam pattern looks like when on the trail.( Francois, are you listening? )
    Sounds like the battery is a brick. You'd have to be a diehard downhiller to be willing to carry something that heavy not to mention that I'm sure the lamp itself probably tips the scales.

While I'm sure this thing provides retina searing output there is an issue sometimes overlooked; With 10 emitters ( widely spaced ) there is going to be a lot of glare feedback from lit particulate matter floating in the air. Mounted to a bar this wouldn't be as much of a problem but since the lamp is on the head the glare will be very intense and very close to your face/eyes. Just last week I was experimenting with the Nitefire Hero2 that has 3 inline XM-L U2's on the helmet. First thing I noticed when I fired it up was that I was able to see all kinds of stuff floating in the air. Since it is late fall I was surprised to see so much stuff still floating around in the air. No question about it, the wider array of LED points really lights up the air. This can be quite distracting, at least in my opinion. I can only imagine what 3X the amount of LED's spaced out on the helmet is going to do. Sure, it will be bright as hell, IMO too bright with too much glare... BUT...I'd still like to see what this lamp can do. I have lots of questions. Are all the LEDs aim-able or are they rigidly set? What emitters are being used? Optics or reflectors?

All said, the smaller version might make more sense ...BUT...beam pattern and throw are still the most important factors to consider. With something this bright you need most of the light to be projected as far forward as possible...UNLESS...the designer intends the illumination from the helmet lamp to be sufficient enough to NOT NEED A BAR LAMP. With 3000-6000 lumen coming off the helmet in a wide dispersal pattern that would be a very distinct possibility.

mtbr member

No side visibility, doesn't come in orange.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    May 2011

He IS still around. He hasn't had much to write about lately since I think he is still looking to fine tune his setup... He will resurface again for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    He IS still around. He hasn't had much to write about lately since I think he is still looking to fine tune his setup... He will resurface again for sure.
    Actually he was banned but apparently the powers that be decided to lift it ( as I see he has a recent post )

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Actually he was banned but apparently the powers that be decided to lift it ( as I see he has a recent post )
    His recent post is what led to my response.

Ok... Let's get back on track with this beast of a light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Vanc...thanks for the heads-up warning.

My take on this lamp. Interesting design. I would love to see what the beam pattern looks like when on the trail.( Francois, are you listening? )
    Sounds like the battery is a brick. You'd have to be a diehard downhiller to be willing to carry something that heavy not to mention that I'm sure the lamp itself probably tips the scales.

While I'm sure this thing provides retina searing output there is an issue sometimes overlooked; With 10 emitters ( widely spaced ) there is going to be a lot of glare feedback from lit particulate matter floating in the air. Mounted to a bar this wouldn't be as much of a problem but since the lamp is on the head the glare will be very intense and very close to your face/eyes. Just last week I was experimenting with the Nitefire Hero2 that has 3 inline XM-L U2's on the helmet. First thing I noticed when I fired it up was that I was able to see all kinds of stuff floating in the air. Since it is late fall I was surprised to see so much stuff still floating around in the air. No question about it, the wider array of LED points really lights up the air. This can be quite distracting, at least in my opinion. I can only imagine what 3X the amount of LED's spaced out on the helmet is going to do. Sure, it will be bright as hell, IMO too bright with too much glare... BUT...I'd still like to see what this lamp can do. I have lots of questions. Are all the LEDs aim-able or are they rigidly set? What emitters are being used? Optics or reflectors?

All said, the smaller version might make more sense ...BUT...beam pattern and throw are still the most important factors to consider. With something this bright you need most of the light to be projected as far forward as possible...UNLESS...the designer intends the illumination from the helmet lamp to be sufficient enough to NOT NEED A BAR LAMP. With 3000-6000 lumen coming off the helmet in a wide dispersal pattern that would be a very distinct possibility.
    Hey Cat-man-do,,,, I found a video on the Trailed website for the DS- Trail Led set up on the helmet. Scroll up to post #3 from varider as he has that link highlighted. Once that page is open scroll down to the bottom and you will find that video.
    Last edited by indebt; 11-21-2013 at 09:30 PM.

swag ho Administrator
    photos today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210084.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210083.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210076.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210075.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210071.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210068.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb2100681.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210067.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210065.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210063.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210053.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210052.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210051.jpg  

The TrailLED Halo - 6000 lumens-pb210050.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Hey Cat-man-do,,,, I found a video on the Trailed website for the DS-3000 lumen set up on the helmet. Scroll up to post #3 from varider as he has that link highlighted. Once that page is open scroll down to the bottom and you will find that video.
    Thanks indebt, I must of missed it earlier. After looking at the video of the 3000 over all it looks impressive. If you pause the video in spots where the rider has some distance ahead you get an idea of the throw WHICH is not so super impressive. Then again most of the time the lamp was pointed down so the rider could see what was directly in front. This is why a two lamp system ( bar/helmet ) is much better as it will allow the rider to point the helmet lamp more forward without losing track with what is directly in front.

While the lamp does look to have a brighter center area it is no so much a hot spot although hard to tell from the video. Anyway this is pretty much what I expected judging the size of the unit. Without a defined hot spot most of the light is going to hit the ground within the first 100ft area. Depending on riding preferences you will either love it or have some doubts. Really is hard to draw a conclusion from a video because the cameras are only going to be so sensitive to the constant movement of terrain and the lamp is usually aimed for short distance. Stills are usually more representative as the camera can adjust to the light more easily but that is my opinion.

Still, I would love to demo one of these but sadly I can't drop $500 to do so.

mtbr member
    Yes Cat that is us, and we did run into some issues, but resolved all of them to our knowledge and have been working hard for the last year to make sure we don't run into them again.

As far as the video and throw it is a little deceiving as it is as the camera takes it no enhancement so the camera focuses on the area in front of it more than your eyes do. There is no hot spot on purpose but a slightly brighter Center area with a smooth even beam. This is to not blow out your night vision and allow you to use your peripheral vision. You can recognize object to 100 yards and react to them at 50. Also due to the curvature of the light it produces what we call MPSD (Multi Point Shadow Definition) which actually allows you to see trail features with one light as good as or better than with 2 lights.

As far as the battery pack goes it is smaller than my competitors and the guy who rode with it at Terra Firma’s Rocky Hill Ranch 24 in the SS Solo class said it was a non-issue due to the configuration of the pack.

I am going to let everybody decide for themselves whether it is a good innovation and light or not, but just wanted to get some things clear in the beginning.

Thanks

Zen

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    A handlebar light because it's not in line with your line of sight will cast shadows behind obstacles and gives you a sense of depth.

A helmet light because it's very closely in line with your line of sight will still cast shadows but you won't see them. If there are no shadows and all the light is coming from your helmet then is will tend to drown out trail texture and blend in rocks and features.

I understand where you guys are trying to go with the wide multi point light bar but I just can't see it working like you describe. I'd love to hear I'm wrong but until I tried one in person I'd be skeptical at best.

Regardless its a sick looking setup and if I had an extra $1k I buy one just to show it off. Honestly I'd be way more interested if you did a similar design but strait bar for use on the handle bars.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle View Post
    Yes Cat that is us, and we did run into some issues, but resolved all of them to our knowledge and have been working hard for the last year to make sure we don't run into them again.
    Great to hear that!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have to agree with some of the points mentioned above. That's way too much output for a helmet light.

Glare from very high output helmet lights can be a problem. In totally clear conditions it will be OK but if there is any haze in the air, rain, snow or fog, a light with that number of emitters is going to create glare across the entire field of vision. I've been amazed with how much light you can get reflected back on what seemed a clear night from particles in the air or a light mist.

Trail definition will suffer with that bright a helmet light. Brightest light on the bars is the way to go to throw shadows to highlight obstacles etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast