mtbr member
    Nov 2010

TrailLED 500L....wow

Just received mine today. Spot/flood configuration.

First impressions: Wow, this thing is BRIGHT!

I know this sounds like a little bit of a stretch, but I do own several powerful HID spotlights and some Fenix Cree lights, so this isn't just "first timers amazement". I would seriously compare the throw and spread of this little guy to my car headlights, its that bright.

I really cannot explain much in words, its just freaking bright. I am going to have no issues with this whatsoever. Its awesome!

Summary: Buy this light lol!

Cool green glow:

My eyes!:

(Side of that house is about ~65 yards away)

Church of the Wheel
    Snow will make any light look a lot brighter. Don't be disappointed when it doesn't seem so overpowering on dirt.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb143
    Snow will make any light look a lot brighter. Don't be disappointed when it doesn't seem so overpowering on dirt.
    Im pretty sure it will be more than enough. Its an outstanding product.

Rolling
    I can go through threads but is this a Troutie light?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I can go through threads but is this a Troutie light?
    Similar product, but this is a different company.

http://trailled.com/product/500l

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a TrailLED Darkstar (1200 lumens)... great lights, but comparing beamshots in the snow is not realistic... I am sure you'll be happy in the end howerver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm very happy with my 500L. It's set-up flood/spot. Really lights up the trail and the spot allows me to see long range. Very small and lightweight. This light is very good so I can imagine the Darkstar (TrailLED's top model) is amazing. I got the upgraded batteries that are supposed to last 6.5 hrs but my rides have only been in the 2-3 hour range so far. At $175 the 500L is a pretty good value too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I must ask, how long did it take you to get yours after you ordered it?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrkimbrough
    I must ask, how long did it take you to get yours after you ordered it?
    I just received my TrailLED Darkstar today and it took exactly 6 weeks to receive it from date ordered. It was a painful wait, but it looks to be an excellent light. Now only if the weather would cooperate so can get out and ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Same here, I've been waiting a little over 7 weeks and haven't got mine yet.....that's why I was curious.

Bear
    Wasn't the Darkstar on backorder long before the wait on the other lights went to 4+ weeks? I thought I remember seeing that it was a supply issue with the MCE LED's???
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

mtbr member
    Yep, the Darkstar is worth the wait.

Anybody know if TrailLed is working on inegrating some newer LED's into this light? You can never have to much light during endurance rides...

Also, if you haven't already, get one of his helmet mounts. Those things work awesome!!
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How much was it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    got my 4x light in a few days ago and it's fabulous! only one ride on it so far but it worked great! I even accidentally left it on the low setting when we stopped and rode for a while and didn't even notice it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I got to use my 500L for the last couple of riding months of the season, it really rocks...as bright as a magicshine. (a few of my riding buddies have MS lights) but wider, long battery times and you dont even know it is on your helmet it is so light...i am also pretty sure i am not goin to be literally left in the dark as some of my friends were by their slightly cheaper but unreliable MS. The 500L also looks very cool.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I went to buy one, because the MS is just "slightly cheaper." So I figured it would be like $50 more, but it's actually 2 times the price of a MS, so a Strykr might be better for me (as a floody bar light), with the trade in offer. I need the extra durability and lumens anyway. That Darkstar is really nice, love how light weight it is but a little too pricey for me.

mtbr member
    ordered my 500L november 9th. still don't have it
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Anyone Having Customer Service Problems with Trail LED??

Is Trail LED still in business? They don't answer emails Amazing how the market has changed - their $420 Darkstar that was once a good value is now over-priced compared to other companies' offerings, such as Dinotte, Jet Lite, and even Lupine that sell for hundreds of dollars less and offer good customer service

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlybird Rider View Post
    Is Trail LED still in business? They don't answer emails Amazing how the market has changed - their $420 Darkstar that was once a good value is now over-priced compared to other companies' offerings, such as Dinotte, Jet Lite, and even Lupine that sell for hundreds of dollars less and offer good customer service
    I think your a bit confused here. The Darkstar offers 1200+ lumens out of a compact, two LED light that weighs 55 grams. Please show me where any of these companies offer anything competitive for $420? The reason I say 1200+ is that TrailLed just upgraded their LED's, I have not seen the new output since this change earlier in the year.

As to customer service, Grady has always answered my emails. I know he always seems to be behind in production, as expected since he is a one man show. Grady upgraded the LED's in my Darkstar earlier this year for a small fee, please let me know of any other company offering this kind of service? I think they would prefer you buy a new light.

Edited to add: I just looked at the TrailLed web site, looks like the new components of the Darkstar are rated at 1600 lumens I can tell you it is a significant improvment over the previous output. Also looks like he is still in business as he posted to his site as recently as 7/29/11.
    Last edited by DavidR1; 09-23-2011 at 06:03 AM.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    I think your a bit confused here. The Darkstar offers 1200+ lumens out of a compact, two LED light that weighs 55 grams. Please show me where any of these companies offer anything competitive for $420?
    Hmm.. the website says 80g light head. I knew it was too good to be true!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RE1GN2 View Post
    Hmm.. the website says 80g light head. I knew it was too good to be true!
    Sorry, your right. I was thinking the 500L that weighs 55gr. Still, nothing compares.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Trail Led

I have a Dark Star and it is bright, but the transaction process was the first and last.
    It took a while to get and then longer for the mount to show up. The first ride down a hill in a city park and the cap came off the power button and has been gone ever since. I have tried to contact Grady and got no response.
    The light is made with quality driver and parts , but there are others doing more and are more passionate about their products.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I wanted to purchase a darkstar and never got a response to my emails....

mtbr member
    i just scratched it off of my list after hearing that. thanks for honest imput!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I never heard back either. No offense to him because I don't know the situation of his lights or himself. I went with an Amoeba from Scar and am so happy. lots of power, long battery, great quality, and the light is small!! Check them out.