mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Tough choice: XML-3 vs Olympia vs Gloworm X2

OK, so after a lot of reading and pondering, these 3 lights still all look VERY appealing to me, but I have money for just one. Here is my thinking, and mind you, I need a single handle bar light, preferring a smooth beam pattern and floody.

XML-3 (259USD) good mount, can be rotated left right, known reliability, mode indicator, batt indicator, on head unit, most efficient and cool running, best run times, real 3hrs from a 4400mAh batt, but no option for custom modes, and no option for over-driving to say 1700lm.

Olympia (240USD) great design, smaller than XML-3 it seems, comes with all accessories for price of XML-3, lighter, can provide more light if needed by custom power level programming, also good beam pattern. Hoping I could tune it to the same power draw levels as xml-3 and ensure same efficiency? Can it rotate? How do the beams compare? Much less cooling than XML-3, but according to Gemini, that might not be a problem?

Gloworm X2 (200USD) cheaper, good packaging for transport, small size, light and sexy, great solution for a bike mount, in front of the stem, but expensive orig batteries, much worse running time for the same lumen as other two, the LEDs need to work harder, outside of optimal range. Not sure about beam pattern, but at least it's configurable. Cannot adjust left right, right?

Any help in deciding greatly appreciated!

Domi

P.S. Gave up on a great deal on MJ-880, although i LOVE the look, as all say it's not as efficient, more of a thrower, not replaceable optics, tough to press buttons... A great light, no doubt about it, but...
    Last edited by dmalovic; 08-04-2012 at 09:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    that's an easy one. Buy the Dinotte product, their customer service if phenomenal. Their batteries are also the most reasonable of any of them.

J>

mtbr member
    Not to be dissing the DiNotte battery but they do charge a lot ( $70 ) for a 4 cell battery. Only Gemini charges more ( $90 ). At least with the Gemini battery you can use it with any MS/Bikeray/Gloworm/ Inton/MS clone, set up. Plus you know what you're getting with the Gemini. Still, too much money for me. Now go look at the DiNotte web site, the only thing they tell you about the battery is that it is either 2 or 4 cell and that it is Li-ion. No mention is made of voltage, amp hour rating or what brand of cells are being used.

All things in perspective, if I really wanted an XML-3 ...( *sigh * ) I could always cut a plug off of one of my older DiNotte batteries and splice it onto a more affordable battery if I needed a spare or replacement. Of course if you don't own an older DiNotte battery you don't have that option.

Oh and don't ask DiNotte how to adapt another brand battery to "their" lamp heads. They won't tell you and frown at the very idea. You know it kind of makes me laugh a little. They could probably sell a "DiNotte to MS" battery adapter/extension, charge $15 for it and walk away with a bit more profit but hey, what the hell do I know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I know. Olympia I just learned can be rotated left to right, it has a decent mount, if not as versatile as the new Dinotte, that some love and some hate. But you get all the accessories with the light (headband for caving and trekking), the 4 cell battery is larger capacity, and with programmable modes I can make it run with the same power draw / light output as the Dinotte. I want to run the light at 900/600/300 lm, and expect to get 4 hours of run time on a 4 cell 5x00mAh battery.

The only question left standing between the Olympia and XML-3 is the light temperature and beam shape. I am shooting for lot's of flood, and was encouraged to read that one 600L user said that XML-3 is wider (and my 600L shines on the from wheel and 180deg to the sides of the handlebars)

I hope that Olympia does at least a similar job. Now, if I can only talk my wife into getting a Gloworm X2 light head, that would be awesome and best of both words.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Not to be dissing the DiNotte battery but they do charge a lot ( $70 ) for a 4 cell battery. Only Gemini charges more ( $90 ). At least with the Gemini battery you can use it with any MS/Bikeray/Gloworm/ Inton/MS clone, set up. Plus you know what you're getting with the Gemini. Still, too much money for me. Now go look at the DiNotte web site, the only thing they tell you about the battery is that it is either 2 or 4 cell and that it is Li-ion. No mention is made of voltage, amp hour rating or what brand of cells are being used.

All things in perspective, if I really wanted an XML-3 ...( *sigh * ) I could always cut a plug off of one of my older DiNotte batteries and splice it onto a more affordable battery if I needed a spare or replacement. Of course if you don't own an older DiNotte battery you don't have that option.

Oh and don't ask DiNotte how to adapt another brand battery to "their" lamp heads. They won't tell you and frown at the very idea. You know it kind of makes me laugh a little. They could probably sell a "DiNotte to MS" battery adapter/extension, charge $15 for it and walk away with a bit more profit but hey, what the hell do I know.
    Lupine at $192 has them beat. Dinotte is middle of the pack for battery cost, has great customer service and great quality.

J.

just a Newbie
    Tough choice indeed. While I don't have much experience with the Dinnotte, I can advice on the Olympia and Gloworm. Both lights offers flood beam but different shape of beam. The Olympia is more of a circular shape while the Gloworm is more of a rectangular/ oval shape. That being said, you will have slightly more straight overhead spill with the Olympia. The Olympia will have more glare if used out on the street but otherwise great for the trails.

The mount on the Olympia can be fitted to use with the Cateye mount for more versatility with a small mod to the mount. The Gloworm is more stylish but may not centerline to your stem depending on the clearance.

The programable mode on the Olympia is a feature that I feel should be standard when it comes to high power lights. You get the option of intensity control and mode selection to your liking. On the other hand, the Gloworm remote switch deserve many credits.

As far as lumens goes, the brightness of the Gloworm will fullfill your needs for 900 lumens, but it's nice to have that extra punch from Olympia on demand.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi Domi,
    Using a chart (post #133, Gemini Olympia thread) Colleen had posted with lux readings for each of the power level steps and compairing wall beams with my 800 lumin Xera, I chose step 7 as the closest approximation to 900 lumins. Good news, on step 7 with the 4 cell battery it ran 4 hrs 15 min to where it cut back the power because of a low battery. I don't have run times for each battery on high but I have seen a 4 hr 5 min time for the 6 cell (Colleen). If you want I'll run the 4 cell for you after it comes off the charger.
    Mole