I walk the line

Timer for charging lights?

I'm wondering if someone can recommend a timer for charging batteries? I run Magicshines, and sometimes forget to pull them off the charger after a few hours. I'd like a timer I could plug them into that would shut off after 4 or 6 hours so I don't fry them if I forget and leave them on for a few days.

I bought a Belkin timer on Amazon.com, but it sucks. I think the low draw of the chargers w/out a light on them made the thing go bonkers.

There's got to be something out there that you guys use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, etc, should all carry mechanical timers for lights.

I walk the line
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, etc, should all carry mechanical timers for lights.
    I looked there, and they had the ones with a clock on them, but I didn't see one you could set for 4 hours. I need something with a timer, not a clock. Maybe I didn't look in the right spot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BluKoolaide
    I looked there, and they had the ones with a clock on them, but I didn't see one you could set for 4 hours. I need something with a timer, not a clock. Maybe I didn't look in the right spot.
    Why couldn't you use one of those and only set up the 'off' time for 4 hrs later? If I were using one of my existing timers (the basic ones that use little pegs for on & off) I would just not insert an 'on' peg.
    It's better to burn out than fade away

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ask the sales people. It's not that difficult.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Last edited by Maximus_XXIV; 12-23-2010 at 03:14 PM.

I walk the line
    Quote Originally Posted by Paydirt
    Why couldn't you use one of those and only set up the 'off' time for 4 hrs later? If I were using one of my existing timers (the basic ones that use little pegs for on & off) I would just not insert an 'on' peg.
    I've got one of those, but I'm looking for convenience. And on those you gotta set the clock each time since I don't have enough socket space in my garage and can't keep it plugged in.

I walk the line
    Ask the sales people. It's not that difficult.
    You've clearly not been to a Lowes or Home Despot recently, have you. Horrible service. Too bad they put a lot of the independents out of biz, but I digress. Oh, and thanks for being helpful, smartass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've got one of those, but I'm looking for convenience. And on those you gotta set the clock each time since I don't have enough socket space in my garage and can't keep it plugged in.
    You don't have to "set the time". You leave the pins set 4 hours apart and turn the dial to click it on. Takes one second and you don't even need to know what time it is.

I may be a "smartass", but I have given you honest answers to your question and tried to help. So far you have rejected our help and decided it is too difficult to turn a dial.

My new advise is...you're a big boy, figure it out yourself.

mtbr member
    The MS battery pack has a PCB that stops charging them when they reach max voltage. If not, then you would have burned your house down. You should not need a timer.

I walk the line
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack
    The MS battery pack has a PCB that stops charging them when they reach max voltage. If not, then you would have burned your house down. You should not need a timer.
    Not true, they keep a trickle charge even when they "stop" charging. You'll ruin the battery over time if you leave it on there, and the batteries are known for failing.
    My girlfriend stole my hipster jeans.

I walk the line
    You don't have to "set the time". You leave the pins set 4 hours apart and turn the dial to click it on. Takes one second and you don't even need to know what time it is.

I may be a "smartass", but I have given you honest answers to your question and tried to help. So far you have rejected our help and decided it is too difficult to turn a dial.

My new advise is...you're a big boy, figure it out yourself.
    I know, I'm actually looking for somethign specific that I think should exist. The link someone provided above to a timer could be helpful, but since I already wasted $12 on a digital timer that doesn't work, I'm looking for mechanical, not cheap Chinese electronic crap... so that I can keep using my cheap chinese electronic MagicShines.

At this point I'm going to go buy a 3 hr mechanical bathroom timer for a fan, wire it up in to an outlet box and turn it into my own mechanical timer. A bit of a PITA, but it'll get me what I want.
    My girlfriend stole my hipster jeans.

Its got what plants crave
    The PCB will prevent the voltage from reaching a dangerous level. The charger DOES still charge at a very very small rate BUT it shouldn't ever overcharge with the PCB, that's it's purpose after all. I still don't blame you though for wanting that thing to turn the hell off, and probably the only way you'd know your PCB failed would be a fire or explosion, LOL.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Moderator Moderator
    I have a Christmas light timer you can set for 2, 4, 6 or 8 hrs,or it can come on at dusk for a given # of hrs (maybe that would be good for maintaining a battery in the off season). It has worked fine even outdoors. You'll find some under "Christmas light timers".

mtbr member
    Not true, they keep a trickle charge even when they "stop" charging. You'll ruin the battery over time if you leave it on there, and the batteries are known for failing.
    I'm no expert, but given that Lion batteries are not designed to absorb overcharge, why would the manufacturer provide a charger that allows a trickle charge?

I believe they are most likely failing due to being out of balance.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack
    I'm no expert, but given that Lion batteries are not designed to absorb overcharge, why would the manufacturer provide a charger that allows a trickle charge?

I believe they are most likely failing due to being out of balance.
    Someone measured the output of one of the MS chargers, and even when it was "off" and not charging it still put out a nominal amount of power.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org