mtbr member
    Feb 2006

thoughts on the zoomable headlamps with aspheric lenses?

Looked around for some practical info on these and just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? The intriguing part is the zoomable feature, wherein you can adjust the beam pattern/throw. Might be useful?

I know the following are different bins (U2 & T6) so not trying to debate those necessarily - just trying to get some feedback about the zoomable feature and the aspheric lense effects on the beams.

2in1 12W 1800L Zoom CREE U2 LED T6 Bicycle Bike Light Lamp Headlamp Battery Pack | eBay

CREE XM L XML T6 LED 1800Lm Zoomable Bicycle Headlamp Rechargeable Headlight | eBay

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's a sound idea, Mag Instruments has been doing it for years. As for those specific ones...can't tell you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's a great idea if the zoom adjust is tight enough not to wander while riding.

The tightest beam should project the actual LED die shape. So you would end up with a square beam pattern with very sharp edges.

Some find this annoying. YMMV

Ordered one of these last week. Maybe will be here before Thanksgiving.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've owned zoomable torches, but they were older P4 leds. The torches had pretty obvious rings when in the flood mode.

I'd be really curious to see what the beam and overall brightness is with these.