mtbr member

Thoughts on SSC-P7 (dealextreme)

Hi All,

New to the world of night riding and plan to start commuting to work and looking for a cheap set of lights to get started. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions first of all, and also looking for opinions on this setup:

P7 Water Resistant SSC-P7 3-Mode 900-Lumen White LED Bike Light with Battery Pack Set - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I'd like to get two lights, one for the helment, and one for the bars. I have hopes of doing some night mtb riding, and i have a path to work through some nice trails and it would be fun to hit them up on the way to work in the morning.

Sorry if this is a nooby question, i did some searches and didn't see the above light mentioned.

thanks!

Matt
    2009 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2008 Transition Blinside

Bikes are kewl.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That light is fairly new on DX so you may not see much info on that specific one, but a friend of mine just got the XM-LT6 version for the same price, and he likes it.

I just bought the same basic light (w/P7) but with a red front end on ebay for $45 and it's basically the same thing as my Magicshine. Works fine so far.

For the same price, I'd get the XM-LT6 version (I have one on order from DX, but it's taking forever to get here, that's why I bought the P7 above to hold me over).

Either way, assuming you don't have any issues with them*, it is a good bargain, and two of them will provide a LOT of light.
    Put a diffuser lens on the handlebar mounted light and you'll have a nice mix of flood and throw.

(*I love buying cheap lights as I like getting a lot of lumens for little money, and being able to loan lights to friends, but the reality is, that is it a gamble. The quality control is not going to be the same as a light that is 6-8 times as much $)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just re-read your post, and thought I should add that if you're going to commute/ride in the rain, some DIY waterproofing may be needed on the cheaper lights/batteries.

I never ride in the rain, so it's not a concern of mine.