Always in the wrong gear

Which of these is least likely to be a paperweight?

I'm looking for a cheap but reasonably effective light to do some after-dark de-stressing rides here in Phoenix. I don't want to spend a lot of cash (med student with kids) , it's really more of a once in a while, social thing- ride some trails, and drink some beers with friends on some of the smoother, less intense trails the desert has to offer.

I've read a fair bit about the chinese light roulette both with the heads in general and with batteries, and figured I'd be willing to gamble a little.

Which of the following options is the least likely to show up needing wires re-soldered, or 'fixed'. Thermal paste, I'm cool with, but not more. I can even re-solder batteries if needed.
    Looking for the best performer, for a pretty limited budget.

Three from Amazon, discussed in various threads here:
    Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 3X CREE XM-L T6 LED 3800Lm LED Headlight Headlamp and Bicycle Light (Generic Packaging) : Bike Headlights : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 4 Modes Waterproof 2800 Lumens Cree XM-L U2 LED Bicycle Light & 6400mAh Battery Pack & Charger, Cree U2 LED Bike Lmap Light, Super Bright Lighting Lamp Bike Light CREE LED Flashlight Torch for Outdoor Sports Like Cmaping, Ri

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® Waterproof 4 Modes 3000 Lumens 2X CREE XM-L T6 LED Bicycle Light Super Bright CREE LED Bike Lighting Lamp Powerful LED Bicycle Headlight LED Headlamp Flashlight Torch with 8.4V 6400mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack & Charger for

or from eBay/FT/DX
    $39.25 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

New Generation XM L2 X2 CREE LED Bike Bicycle MTB Cycling 5000LM Head Light | eBay

two 1-LED light sets:
    2 Sets 2000 Lumen CREE XM L XML T6 Cycling Bicycle Bike Light Headlamp Headlight | eBay

Or maybe even one I overlooked/forget to list.

Let's stick to bar mount only for now, will add in a headlamp when (if) needed and I get the hang of light setups.

I appreciate any and all guidance/advice. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Link 1 - I have this one. It's a great light, puts off a lot of light, but I had to upgrade to a better battery (which cost me $50 at Action LED). The stock battery works, but the runtime is short. It powers a single led light for a couple hours, no problem. It just can't power 3 leds for very long. So factor a better battery into the price.

Link 2 - I just got one of these. I haven't had it on the trail yet, so I can't really say much about it. But from what others have said, and from shining it on my wall, it's more of a spot light. Not as much "spill" as the light in your first link. I feel it's better to have a spot light on the helmet, and flood light on bars.

Link 3 - I don't have this one, can't comment.

Link 4 - Same as your second link, just $10 more.

Link 5 - I have this one, but only paid $33 on ebay. I posted about it in another thread. While it's not a bright as some of my other lights, I do like the flood/spot combination, makes it a good bar light. I like the look of it too.

Link 6 - One of the problems with these single led lights, is that they are very much a spot light. Ok for the helmet, but will look like a little bouncing ball of light when mounted on the handlebars, it's kind of annoying and less then ideal. You could add a "wide angle" lens (from Action LED) to one of them, to spread out the beam, but I think there are better options, like the spot/flood combo in your 5th link, or the light in your first link (just get a better battery at Action Led).

mtbr member
    I bought this one back in February 2014. I use it on average 5 days a week it's on every ride full sun or dark (2,400 miles so far this year). NOTE: This is a replacement for a very similar light I bought on E-Bay. I used to use it on the handle bars with the battery strapped to the downtube. The solder on the battery pack failed after about a year (rattling around). So now I use it exclusively mounted to my helmet with the battery mounted on the helmet as well to drastically reduce vibration to the pack.

Amazon.com: Generic 5 LED Bike Bicycle Taillight Rear Light Lamp (Headlight): Sports & Outdoors

No issues whatsoever with it. Great run time and still holds a good charge. It is a ridiculous deal at $14.00.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Buy this lens while you're at it, the light is a pretty tight spot light. This lens spreads the beam nicely.

Amazon.com : Wide Angle Lens for MagicShine, Gemini, and many other Bike Lights / Headlight. Includes O-Ring : Sports & Outdoors
    GoatRidesBikes.com

Always in the wrong gear
    great info, thanks both of you.

I'm thinking that link 5 on the bar and link 6 on the head would be a good combo.

I really like the link from bikeCO, that might be the way to go.

re: links 2 and 4, I knew they were the same, I was wondering if vendor would affect quality.

Much appreciated!

Always in the wrong gear
    bikeCO, what would you think about running two of those on the bars, one with the lens, and one without?

mtbr member
    That is a great idea ARondomBike. Get some extra velcro strips and be sure the battery packs can't move around, those solder joints on the batteries should hold up well. You will be very pleased with how bright those cheap lights are and probably shocked in the long run at how they hold up.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0