mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Is there a torch with a 3hr runtime?

Hi,

Are there any torches that I can mount on my helmet that last for 3 hours on high so I get the full benefit, I wasnt too keen on a lamp on my helmet with the lead going down to my backpack.

I have had these recommended but they only have a 2hr runtime - UltraFire TH-T60 HA-II XM-LT6 5-Mode 975-Lumen White LED Flashlight with Strap (1 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Is there anything else out there?

Cheers
    Last edited by Gav888; 01-13-2012 at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    you also have the option of getting an extra battery to swap out during your ride for extra run time

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You definitely will want extra battery. The lights are not regulated and will get dimmer as the battery voltage decreases. This KD C8 gets good reviews and I use it on my bars for commuting. Don't believe the lumens and don't believe the run times. I charge my C8 after two rides, which is about 1.5 hours. budgetlightforum.com is the best site for info on these cheap torches.

YMMV

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav888 View Post
    Hi,

Are there any torches that I can mount on my helmet that last for 3 hours on high so I get the full benefit, I wasnt too keen on a lamp on my helmet with the lead going down to my backpack.

I have had these recommended but they only have a 2hr runtime - UltraFire TH-T60 HA-II XM-LT6 5-Mode 975-Lumen White LED Flashlight with Strap (1 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Is there anything else out there?

Cheers
    A lot here depends on what output you expect to get on high. Since you want to use the torch on the helmet I'll recommend stuff that has some throw. Regardless, nothing with any significant output is going to get you 3hrs on high unless the torch is using more than one 18650 Li-ion cell. Now there are other torches that use larger cells like the 26650 cell but those torches would be much larger and not the kind of thing you want on the helmet.

I have an Ultrafire 501B torch host that uses a P-60 drop-in. One of my P-60's is using the T-6 XM-L emitter that is 5-mode and with a 2000ma current draw on high. It is very bright. Run time maybe about an hour. The mid-mode on this drop-in is quite nice and very usable. Output close to 500 lumen with a 800ma current draw with fresh cell. With a 2600mAh cell it will go about three hours at that level. I use the mid-mode most of time and switch to high for faster stuff.

A couple weeks ago a bought another T6 XM-L drop in from Manafont. This one is a true three mode, no flash modes. Current draw on high is about 1750ma. It uses a smooth reflector. While I've not tested it for run time I think it safe to say it should get about 75 minutes before dimming significantly. Not bad. The mid-mode is drawing about 650ma and looks bright ( est. 450lm ) as well. Not as bright as the other one but run time should be even longer than three hours.

I'm not sure which drop-in is best as I have yet to use the one from Manafont on the bike.
    If you're going to use a torch on the helmet, the 501B host is light-weight and relatively small. Regardless of what drop-in you use run time with torches using one cell is limited.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 01-15-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: correction > 650ma on mid mode #2

mtbr member
    May 2005
    @Cat. I believe you are missing a zero in the current value for the mid-level on the manafont drop-in. Ought to be 650 mA, right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Cheers for the advice guys, but I was short on time so ended up buying a couple of these - Review of Ebay: 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle HeadLight Lamp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I have an Ultrafire 501B torch host that uses a P-60 drop-in. One of my P-60's is using the T-6 XM-L emitter that is 5-mode and with a 2000ma current draw on high. It is very bright. Run time maybe about an hour. The mid-mode on this drop-in is quite nice and very usable. Output close to 500 lumen with a 800ma current draw with fresh cell. With a 2600mAh cell it will go about three hours at that level. I use the mid-mode most of time and switch to high for faster stuff.

A couple weeks ago a bought another T6 XM-L drop in from Manafont. This one is a true three mode, no flash modes. Current draw on high is about 1750ma. It uses a smooth reflector. While I've not tested it for run time I think it safe to say it should get about 75 minutes before dimming significantly. Not bad. The mid-mode is drawing about 65ma and looks bright ( est. 450lm ) as well. Not as bright as the other one but run time should be even longer than three hours.
    would you mind posting what P-60 drop-ins you are mentioning here? i'm interested in trying these out. thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

A couple weeks ago a bought another T6 XM-L drop in from Manafont. This one is a true three mode, no flash modes. Current draw on high is about 1750ma. It uses a smooth reflector. While I've not tested it for run time I think it safe to say it should get about 75 minutes before dimming significantly. Not bad. The mid-mode is drawing about 65ma and looks bright ( est. 450lm ) as well. Not as bright as the other one but run time should be even longer than three hours.
    would you mind posting what P-60 drop-ins you are mentioning here? i'm interested in trying these out. thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    @Cat. I believe you are missing a zero in the current value for the mid-level on the manafont drop-in. Ought to be 650 mA, right?
    Right!...my bad...650ma it is. I'll blame my meter though as it reads > .65A > which of course is the same thing.

( I will edit the post, thanks...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloo View Post
    A lot of places to buy drop-ins. Just make sure that when buying drop-ins if you plan on using just a single cell make sure the drop-in is listed @ max voltage 4.2v.

On the first drop-in I mentioned: This was the Kaidomain version of the XM-L T-6 5-mode. Kaidoman has since changed their web format and I no longer see the original drop-in link. That is sad because it was the brightest and there were numerous reviews on the KD web site giving it rave reviews. KD does have two new versions listed for 4.2v and they are This ( T6 ) and this one ( U bin ). ( * note the T6 is listed for more money. There might be a reason. Maybe it is the better of the two. )

Here is the link to the Manfont XML T-6 true three mode ( no flash mode ) with smooth reflector.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    that's awesome thanks a bunch!

turtles make me hot
    I have an Exposure Diablo on my helmet. I run it on medium and it definitely stays on for three hours just on the batteries contained in the light's body. If you need it to last longer, they have a piggy back battery available.
    I like turtles

I'm your density
    Here is the link to the Manfont XML T-6 true three mode ( no flash mode ) with smooth reflector.
    Have you had a chance to test run time yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    Have you had a chance to test run time yet?
    I'll try to get around to it by this weekend.