mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Tesla 5 + Exposure Race Maxx2 or Cateye R2?

I've been running a Race Maxx2 on my bars and a Cateye R2 on my helmet as my night-lights. I have been pretty happy with this set-up but wanted a bit more light. The Lupine Tesla 5 has had great reviews and recently won a 20 light group test in What Mountain Bike and having always liked the finish and quality of Lupine I've decided to order one.
    So the question is - which of the other two lights should I keep and should I run the Tesla on the bars or on my helmet? My personal preference would be to put the Tesla on my helmet and keep the Exposure on the bars - I like the simplicity of the Exposure and don't really want cables and batteries around my bars. On the other hand the Exposure hasn't been that reliable (it's been back to base twice in the last two months for in excess of 4 weeks!) and WMB has been running the Tesla bar mounted with a Hope 2 (almost identical to the R2) helmet mounted and have been really happy with this set-up!
    Some thoughts please!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Run the Tesla on the helmet. The beam is fantastic and the light weighs around 100 grams...a perfect helmet light. If I had to run just one light, I'd choose the Tesla all over again and run it as a helmet light. I do use a Betty on the bar but if in a hurry or a local ride, I just use a helmet-mounted Tesla.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Run the Tesla on the helmet. The beam is fantastic and the light weighs around 100 grams...a perfect helmet light. If I had to run just one light, I'd choose the Tesla all over again and run it as a helmet light.
    +1 on that recommendation. Tesla has an incredible helmet pattern; piercing spot for when you go fast and wide enough t see around corners. Also the medium setting is pretty bright and you can ride all night with that much juice