Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chrisx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    476

    tail light that takes (double A) AA batteries

    I got a solar thing that charges AA batteries,
    which is why I want to have,
    a rear light that takes,
    AA batteries,
    Yes it has a usb port,
    would it not be simple,
    to use only AA batteries in all your stuff,
    instead of carting a box full of various wires,
    for various devices,
    better yet,
    leave the electric things at home,
    well,
    unless it is something,
    which keeps me alive,
    for example,
    a tail light.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jka5-1QCmNQ

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,034
    Blackburn has a couple Local taillights that take AAs. They're very wide-angle lights (surface-mounted LEDs with no optic).

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: znomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,920
    Cateye rapid 3
    TL-LD630-R | CATEYE

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flamingtaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    I got a solar thing that charges AA batteries,
    which is why I want to have,
    a rear light that takes,
    AA batteries,
    Yes it has a usb port,
    would it not be simple,
    to use only AA batteries in all your stuff,
    instead of carting a box full of various wires,
    for various devices,
    better yet,
    leave the electric things at home,
    well,
    unless it is something,
    which keeps me alive,
    for example,
    a tail light.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jka5-1QCmNQ
    Yeah, uh, no. While AA's are great, they do not meet the requirements for all devices, namely high-current ones. The number of AA's I'd need to provide the current my headlamps draw would be three times the size of the Li-ion batteries they use.

    While I would have at one time agreed that the rear LED lamps could use a longer life than that provided by AAA's, I now own a rechargeable lamp (Niterider Solas) that is hella bright and lasts a long time thanks to a Li-ion battery, and it's the same size as the AAA driven lamp it replaced.

    As for wires... everything I own that needs a wire is using the USB micro-b spec, so I really only need one cable, although you know how you can never find a cable when you need one, so I better buy more!
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,715
    Check out the Portland Design Danger Zone. For a lamp using two half watt LED's the duel output looks pretty bright. Uses AAA's rather than AA's but you can still charge those in your Solar charger.

    If you really want a rear light using AA's you are going to have slim pickin's. More than likely it is going to be big, ugly and use lower output led's. I suggest a compromise. The PDDZ would make a good choice and offer better "cover thy butt" visibility.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chrisx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Uses AAA's but you can still charge those in your Solar charger.

    AA's slim pickin's. The PDDZ good choice .
    Unless I bought the solar charger at the REI garage sale. Without the AAA attachment.

    There are times when I pile my bike high with stuff.
    At other times I use not but a backpack and handle bar bag.
    This question was for those days. A 3 day trip into the mountains perhaps.
    Share AA batteries between the device I need at the moment, switch back and forth.
    LD 20
    etrex
    steripen
    can all share the same AAs, saves space and confusion
    In town I still use a couple of older Planet Bike AAA red lights. One on the bike, and one on the helmet, and a Fenix UC40 Ultimate on the helmet.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L7gsJfgJaw
    What is the name of the cartoon, with the bird dancing on the wire, at the beginning of the video?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: patski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    845
    That's a nice one, at the rate I lose taillights it could be $100/year...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Check out the Portland Design Danger Zone. For a lamp using two half watt LED's the duel output looks pretty bright. Uses AAA's rather than AA's but you can still charge those in your Solar charger.

    If you really want a rear light using AA's you are going to have slim pickin's. More than likely it is going to be big, ugly and use lower output led's. I suggest a compromise. The PDDZ would make a good choice and offer better "cover thy butt" visibility.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,715
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Unless I bought the solar charger at the REI garage sale. Without the AAA attachment.

    There are times when I pile my bike high with stuff.
    At other times I use not but a backpack and handle bar bag.
    This question was for those days. A 3 day trip into the mountains perhaps.
    Share AA batteries between the device I need at the moment, switch back and forth.
    LD 20
    etrex
    steripen
    can all share the same AAs, saves space and confusion
    In town I still use a couple of older Planet Bike AAA red lights. One on the bike, and one on the helmet, and a Fenix UC40 Ultimate on the helmet.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L7gsJfgJaw
    What is the name of the cartoon, with the bird dancing on the wire, at the beginning of the video?
    I take it the solar charger allows you to plug in your AA charger. If you bend a couple paper clips you can charge rechargeable AAA's in the AA charger just as well.

    Most of the rear lights using replaceable batteries seem to be using triple A's. There are rear lights using AA's but most of those are the cheap Chinese type and are just using the lower output LED's. If it were me I'd compromise, buy a hand full of rechargeable AAA's and buy one or two of the brighter AAA type lights.

    I should also point out that there is another alternative; You can buy a phone charger that uses AA cells ( use the four AA model ). This will enable you to run/charge an even brighter 2watt rear lamp if you chose to so. All you have to do is buy the appropriate USB to USB cable ( for charging ) at the local Radio Shack and you should be good to go.

Similar Threads

  1. Best Self-contained Tail Light
    By Lugano in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 12:55 AM
  2. Need help with tail light selection
    By jnbrown in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 06:59 AM
  3. double takes and fatbike riding
    By float nasty in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 10-21-2013, 08:56 PM
  4. Found: Tail light
    By Funrover in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 01:51 PM
  5. 4x xpg road light and 2x xrc tail light ($100 build)
    By schnottus in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.