Thread: Suggestions?

Dropshot Champ!

New question here. Suggestions?

I pop in to the lights forum every winter, get inundated by information, and pop out without actually changing my night riding habits or buying anything. This is where I need your help!

I've been night riding for years, mostly with a Light and Motion Urban 800. It does fine while solo, but my riding buddies are drowning me out with their insane lumens. The guy I ride with the most uses Xeccon lights from MTBrevolution, and I will say that his helmet light has DIALED spot throw. It's effin' impressive.

ROAD: the urban 800 is more than fine at 20mph+.

CX: at 15-20, non technical

MTB: 10-15mph, lightly technical

I'd like a bar mount setup to flood and a helmet mount to spot with external batteries, if possible, for sub ~125
    . Run time doesn't need to be more than 4 hours, usually 2 is enough. It's usually between 40-65* when I night ride, so I don't think overheating is a concern, especially at these speeds.

I keep bouncing between offerings from Nitefighter (bt40 and the can't-find-it-anymore bt21), gemini, itou, magicshine, glow worm, and many, many others.

I'd rather not pry open a light and replace optics if it needs re-gluing, since my time is limited with a newborn, but if it's just unscrewing and replacing a lens, I can probably do that.

90% of my night riding is from-the-house, non-technical, fast cyclocross riding. I feel like since I'm pretty comfortable with 500-800 lumens right now, that I don't need a ton, plus most of my night riding is poaching, so I don't need a massive beacon to make the night into day.

So, I've searched and searched, and call upon the guru's of the light forum. What would you pick?

RAKC
    Out of all the brands Ituo is where it's at honestly. Bang for buck accross the board is better than the other brands. And except for the older Xeccon lights, they are crap now. Their new Zeta series is total junk.

Most lights have mode options so you can run lower outputs solo and crank them up when your riding with your buddies.

Ituo (and others) have programmable mode levels so you have all kinds of choices n how to set up your modes and such.

Changing optics in any of them doesnt require any glue or anything else. Just the proper bit to take the screws out of the front plate. Carefully open, change optics, make sure seals are all back in place and close up.

The bt40 is literally the only light left from what was one night fighter and no idea how long it will be around (or if you buy one that it lasts more than hand ful of rides before it has issues).

I will tell you trying to get off with dirt cheap lights is easy now, till you have to replace them again and again. Even the bt40s isn't immune to it though it's done better than most. Actual branded lights last and come with a warranty/support so think on that before you decide.

I swore off cheap lights because I got tired of fixing them. The ones I've had that I mod is ok but that's about all cheap lights are good for. Seeing what crazy crap I can due to them.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Echoing what tigris99 has said and your comprehensive description of your riding habits, I would say an Ituo Wiz20 on the bars and an XP2 helmet mounted would serve you very well.

The optics in the Ituo lights are very easy to change and are cheap and readily available on eBay from LEDDNA. They are a striaght drop-in with no mechanical knowledge necessary other than a bit of care with the O-rings.

The Wiz20 is a self-contained light with the batteries enclosed in the case which makes it a very quick and easy light to use and switch between bikes. I use mine for both on and off-road riding and the configuarable light settings mean I can set exactly the right light level to suit each. It looks like you do a very similar level of riding to me. I have mine configured with 15 degree optics.

I have a Nightfighter BT21 on my helmet which as you rightly observe is no longer available but the Ituo XP2 is virtually the same spec light but is probably a level up in terms of quality. I would say using the 10 degree optics in the XP2 will give just the right amount of throw to complement the spread of the Wiz20.

I don't think you would go wrong or be disappointed with either light quite frankly and you have the added advantage that both lights LED tint will match perfectly.

mtbr member
    You're not going to get both bar & helmet lights with battery packs for $125 or less - well not with quality packs anyway. Best bar light on a budget is the BT40s. Quality battery pack, ok charger, and can purchase through Amazon (tho still ships from China) - $60. Like tig said, I suspect this lamp won't be around much longer. Mine is heavily modded and I just picked up a 2nd one. Used both last Wed night (friend used my 2nd one) and I love them. Beautiful full wide flood lighting up from the front of your tire outward. I then used a BT21 on my helmet. My modded BT40S hasn't been used a lot, but I've had no issues with mine.

I would try to go BT40S kit with ITUO XP2 kit if you can up your budget Only other option is a Yinding (neutral white) from GearBest & a KD 2 cell Panasonic cell battery pack (+ charger), but you'd have to manage the heat and deal with the Yinding button & off in the mode cycle.

-Garry.

Dropshot Champ!
    sounds like my budget won't go far.

What if I changed that $125 to just a proper headlamp with spot optics and external battery, and kept the light and motion urban 800 on the bars.

Maybe I don't know what I'm missing with just an 800 on the bars, but I think that could work.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sorry but I mis-read your budget in your OP. The problem you are going to get in just buying a helmet light to match your L&M Urban 800 light is two-fold:

1. Matching the tint of the LEDs in the two lights. Cool White and Neutral White tints don't tend to go very well together. If your L&M Urban 800 is NW tint then that makes things a bit easier.

2. If the new light is maybe 1000+ lumens and is a intense spotty beam it will tend to swamp the lesser light. This is due to the fact that your eyes will tend to adjust to the brighter, more intense beam and the lesser beam will effectively be somewhat diminished.

Having said that I would suggest that you think about upping your budget slightly and go for the Ituo XP2 for the helmet. It has the ability to configure the light levels so you could match it to your existing light for intensity.

I would then consider upgrading the L&M Urban 800 at some time in the future when funds allow to maybe something else more powerful and compatible with the Ituo XP2.

JFR
    mtbr member
    I don't live and breath lights or read this forum regularly. But Action Led Lights seems like a legit place to buy lights and I understand the MJ 808 is the twin sister of my Xeccon S12 TWO from MTB Revolution. I think I've seen MTB Revolution posting on mtbr, and I know Action Led does.

Magicshine MJ-808-L2, 4 Mode Bike Light with CREE XM-L2 led – Action-LED-Lights

Xeccon S12 TWO - Light Head Only use with Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries

You've seen my Xeccon in action. If that's the kind of lighting you want (a blinding tight beam that throws an amazing distance), then buy it or the MJ 808. Both are inside your budget and still allow you to get a cheap bar mount, which is what I did. The link to the bargain XD bar mount I bought a couple years ago is no longer active, so you'll need to rely upon responses here or read up in other threads to find a cheap bar flood. But I love my S12 TWO on my helmet and other riders ask me about it all the time. For a helmet light, I don't think you can go wrong with it or the MJ 808.

(Note that for the S12 TWO (versus the original S12; the TWO has the newer XM-L2 emmitter), the link above is for the light head only, you need to buy the battery separately. I'm using their 4 cell batteries with great run time and reliability.)

Dropshot Champ!
    not sure what tint my Light and Motion Urban is.

What if I swapped this idea, and tossed the urban on the helmet and put a taz1200 / bt40s / etc on the bars?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post

What if I swapped this idea, and tossed the urban on the helmet and put a taz1200 / bt40s / etc on the bars?
    Well, to a certain extent you've got the same problem but in reverse. It also depends on whether the L&M Urban has enough throw to use as a helmet light. From what you have said so far about being swamped by the lights of your riding buddies, I suspect not.

Having said that I have just taken delivery of a BT40S and it's a great bar light for a reasonable price. If you don't want to spend a lot you could use that as a starting point and see how you get on. I think it's available for around $60 from GearBest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post

I checked out the MTBRevolution web-site today and am pretty sure your buddy's throwy helmet light is an S12. Also noticed they list it as having Neutral white tint and only costing $49 US. Emailed them to confirm this (tint) but if true you like this light, it doesn't cost much and would match up with the BT40s well. Should be able to get both for close to your budget if you don't mind waiting on slow free shipping.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I checked out the MTBRevolution web-site today and am pretty sure your buddy's throwy helmet light is an S12. Also noticed they list it as having Neutral white tint and only costing $49 US. Emailed them to confirm this (tint) but if true you like this light, it doesn't cost much and would match up with the BT40s well. Should be able to get both for close to your budget if you don't mind waiting on slow free shipping.
    Mole
    Looks like a great deal, and in your budget. People always want to up peoples budget here. And some of them work for the companies they are up selling you too. I ride a bike I bought used for $650 and have a very limited budget. I bought a Xeccon through amazon for my son and got hammered for saying it was a good light for my budget. My son loves it and we have already done a couple night rides with it.

The magic shine lights are pretty good and action leds lights will take care of you from everything i have heard.

mtbr member
    Response from MTBRevolution about emitter tint on the S12 was not what I had hoped for. They sounded unsure and said they thought it was 6700 - 7000 K which would be cool white. Could still run the Xeccon S12 with the L&M Urban 800 which is cool white.
    Mole